The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland v Samoa, 11 November

+25
TheMildlyFranticLlama
aucklandlaurie
TJ
sensisball
jimbopip
Eejit
Hazel Sapling
nickj
lostinwales
TightHEAD
highland_scot
EWT Spoons
RuggerRadge2611
NeilyBroon
bsando
Gwlad
BigGee
tigertattie
mikey_dragon
Mad for Chelsea
RDW
Tattie Scones RRN
reallybored
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
29 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Scotland v Samoa, 11 November Empty Scotland v Samoa, 11 November

Post by George Carlin Wed 01 Nov 2017, 5:14 pm

Scotland v Samoa, 11 November Scot_f10    Scotland v Samoa, 11 November Samoa_12
SCOTLAND V SAMOA
11 November 2017
14:30 GMT (UTC+0)
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

Live on BBC One, Connected TV, online & the BBC Sport app & Radio Scotland 810MW

Referee: Nic Berry (Australia)
Touch judges: [tbc]
Television match official: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

10 Played 10
8 Won 1
1 Drawn 1
1 Lost 8
254 Points 155

B. Recent Form

10 October 2015
St James' Park, Newcastle
33 – 36 to Scotland

8 June 2013
Mr Price Kings Park, Durban, South Africa
27 – 17 to Samoa

23 June 2012
Apia Park, Apia
16 – 17 to Scotland

27 November 2010
Pittodire, Aberdeen
19 – 16 to Scotland

20 November 2005
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
18 – 11 to Scotland

4 June 2004
Westpac Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
3 – 38 to Scotland

18 November 2000
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
31 – 8 to Scotland

C. Teams

SCOTLAND
Scotland v Samoa, 11 November Gordon10
Stuart Hogg, Tommy Seymour, Huw Jones, Alex Dunbar, Lee Jones, Finn Russell, Ali Price (all Glasgow Warriors); Darryl Marfo, Stuart McInally, WP Nel, Ben Toolis (all Edinburgh), Jonny Gray (Glasgow), Barclay (captain - Scarlets), Hamish Watson (Edinburgh), Ryan Wilson (Glasgow).

Replacements: George Turner, Jamie Bhatti, Zander Fagerson, Tim Swinson (all Glasgow), Cornell Du Preez (Edinburgh), Henry Pyrgos, Peter Horne (both Glasgow), Chris Harris (Newcastle).

SAMOA
Scotland v Samoa, 11 November Jerry-10
Ah See Tuala, Paul Perez, Kieron Fonotia, Reynold Lee-Lo,David Lemi, Tim Nanai Williams, Pele Cowley;Jordan Lay, Manu Leiataua, Donald Brighouse, Josh Tyrell, Chris Vui (capt), Piula Fa'asalele, TJ Ioane, Jack Lam.

Replacements: Motu Matu'u, James Lay, Hisa Sasagi, Fa'atiga Lemalu, Ofisa Treviranus, Mealani Matavao, AJ Alatimu, Alapati Leiua.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland v Samoa, 11 November Empty Re: Scotland v Samoa, 11 November

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 Nov 2017, 8:57 pm

The threads on here aren't what they used to be!!

So, who will Toonie play on the wing do we think? Is Byron McGuigan going to play just so we have a contender for "average Scotland players in the 2010s" articles (along with whoever is going to start at loosehead)?? Still think Visser should be playing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed 01 Nov 2017, 10:44 pm

imo

1 - Marfo
2 - Turner
3 - Fagerson
4 - Toolis
5 - Gray (c)
6 - Hamilton
7 - Watson
8 - Wilson

9 - Price
10 - Russell
11 - McGuigan
12 - Horne
13 - Jones
14 - Seymour
15 - Hogg

16 - McInally
17 - Bhatti
18 - Nel
19 - Cummings
20 - Du Prez
21 - Pyrgos
22 - Grigg
23 - Harris

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:18 pm

What concerns me is that if I take your XV ReallyBored (which I think is pretty close to what Toonie will go with), and I pick an alternative XV (acknowledging these players are not all fit), I think the alternative team would win. In short, we're some way off our best XV in these internationals:

Alternative XV

1.Dell 2.Brown 3.Nel 4.Swinson 5.Ritchie Gray 6.Barclay 7.Hardie 8.Strauss 9.Laidlaw 10.Jackson 11.Visser 12.Dunbar 13.Taylor 14.Bennett 15.Maitland

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 02 Nov 2017, 9:05 am

Over 60,000 tickets gone for this match which is quite incredible for a game against Samoa in the Autumn.

Saved my hard earned cash for the NZ match.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Nov 2017, 9:23 am

Toonie has said he'll play his strongest team for each game, but that doesn't mean we won't see some tombola selections.

Of the newbie randoms I think Chris Harris has the best chance of getting gametime given our injuries at centre and his versatility, which may make him a good bench option.  I can't see Luke Hamilton getting gametime and TBH I'd be annoyed if he did over Jamie Ritchie, whose form has merited a callup and he's been through every age grade rank with Scotland.

Hamilton also looks pretty small when you see him in some of the training photos released this week - is he really big enough to be an international back row? He's 6ft 2 and 16 and a bit stone - big enough for a 7 but not really for 6/8.

So for this game I'd pick the best we have available and use the bench to experiment a little, which IMO is

1 Marfo
2 McInally
3 Nel
4 Gray
5 Toolis
6 Barclay
7 Watson
8 Wilson/CDP (I'm not fussed which)

9 Price
10 Russell
11 Seymour
12 Horne (Dunbar if fit)
13 Jones
14 Fife/Jones/McGuigan (again not fussed and not much between them)
15 Hogg

Subs - Bhatti, Turner, Fagerson, Cummings, Ritchie, Pyrgos, Jackson, Harris

A very young bench but I'm hoping we'll be out of reach by that point...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 02 Nov 2017, 10:04 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Toonie has said he'll play his strongest team for each game, but that doesn't mean we won't see some tombola selections.

Of the newbie randoms I think Chris Harris has the best chance of getting gametime given our injuries at centre and his versatility, which may make him a good bench option.  I can't see Luke Hamilton getting gametime and TBH I'd be annoyed if he did over Jamie Ritchie, whose form has merited a callup and he's been through every age grade rank with Scotland.

Hamilton also looks pretty small when you see him in some of the training photos released this week - is he really big enough to be an international back row? He's 6ft 2 and 16 and a bit stone - big enough for a 7 but not really for 6/8.

So for this game I'd pick the best we have available and use the bench to experiment a little, which IMO is

1 Marfo
2 McInally
3 Nel
4 Gray
5 Toolis
6 Barclay
7 Watson
8 Wilson/CDP (I'm not fussed which)

9 Price
10 Russell
11 Seymour
12 Horne (Dunbar if fit)
13 Jones
14 Fife/Jones/McGuigan (again not fussed and not much between them)
15 Hogg

Subs - Bhatti, Turner, Fagerson, Cummings, Ritchie, Pyrgos, Jackson, Harris

A very young bench but I'm hoping we'll be out of reach by that point...
Do you think Nel is playing better than Fagerson or have you gone for a front-row combination?

Can't believe Dunbar is expected to be fit.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Nov 2017, 10:08 am

Nel certainly hasn't regained his pre-injury form, and you could argue that Berghan has been the more destructive scrummager for Edinburgh.

Fagerson is a beast in the loose but Glasgow's scrum has often struggled this season.

I'd be happy with either starting but as you said it keeps the front row units together, and I think Fagerson would offer more impact off the bench.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 02 Nov 2017, 10:26 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Nel certainly hasn't regained his pre-injury form, and you could argue that Berghan has been the more destructive scrummager for Edinburgh.

Fagerson is a beast in the loose but Glasgow's scrum has often struggled this season.

I'd be happy with either starting but as you said it keeps the front row units together, and I think Fagerson would offer more impact off the bench.
That's why I'd probably split them up, with Nel's superior scrummaging supporting Bhatti and Marfo with Fagerson.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 02 Nov 2017, 1:25 pm

Huge boost for Scotland - miraculously Alex Dunbar is on the bench for Glasgow tomorrow!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 02 Nov 2017, 1:42 pm

Bhatti starting for Glasgow is a bit of a surprise, given only two LHs in the Scotland squad. Does it suggest Marfo to start against Samoa? Similarly Turner, Cummings, Swinson, Grigg and Jackson also starting. Zoozander, Batman*, Ickle Jonny, Aldi Price*, Dancer*, Seymour*, Hogg and the Selkirk Pixie get the week off, read into that what you will.

*also had last week off.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 02 Nov 2017, 5:53 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:hard earned cash for the NZ match.

Me too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 03 Nov 2017, 12:21 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:The threads on here aren't what they used to be!!

So, who will Toonie play on the wing do we think? Is Byron McGuigan going to play just so we have a contender for "average Scotland players in the 2010s" articles (along with whoever is going to start at loosehead)?? Still think Visser should be playing.

That just makes me think of Visser playing at prop! Interesting!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 03 Nov 2017, 12:34 pm

So Jonny and Toolis are the only locks not involved this weekend, suggesting they will be the starting pair.

No idea who will be backup - maybe they've been told whoever plays best this weekend will get on the bench.

So the 'not involved' XV is something like

1 Marfo
2 McInally
3 Nel/Fagerson
4 Gray
5 Toolis
7 Watson
8 Wilson

9 Price
10 Russell
11 Seymour
13 Jones
15 Hogg

John Barclay makes a return to the Scarlets this weekend which suggests he is fully over his concussion issues.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 03 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

Add Lee Jones to that list RDW. Not involved for Glasgow this week. I know the Luvvies don't rate him too highly, but he's been excellent for Glasgow over the last year and a half, and I think Toonie rates him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start against Samoa.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 03 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm

Forgot about Jones. Really would be a remarkable story for him to get capped again given where he was - playing awful for Edinburgh and dumped out to the 7s team.

For what it's worth I think Lee Jones MK2 is a good club player for Glasgow but I'm just not convinced he's an international class winger! He works hard, is a great athlete and has a good basic skill-set but you don't see him putting in game-changing individual moments of brilliance like our other front line options.

If he is picked I'm sure he won't let anyone down and he would certainly have earned it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 03 Nov 2017, 2:33 pm

Lee Jones has already been capped again: he started against Australia in the summer tour and acquitted himself well (played a useful part in their third try IIRC, and didn't do much wrong otherwise). Would agree with your assessment TBH, he's the sort of player who does everything well, but maybe doesn't have that little something extra.

Certainly has been Mr Consistent for Glasgow over the last year and a half, can't recall him having a bad game. As I said, I reckon Toonie likes him, and given he's not playing this week-end I wonder if that means he's earmarked for a start.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 03 Nov 2017, 4:47 pm

Been watching this with interest from Italy. As ever with Toonie, you never know quite how he will play it.

A clue might be in who gets subbed early in the club games, surely some of those players will have been instructed to play no more than half a game if they are to be playing or benching next weekend.

Surprised not to see Ford get some game time, he has not played in a longish time, surely he can't be match fit. Maybe the post Ford era is arriving. McInally to start and Turner to bench is entirely possible.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 03 Nov 2017, 5:06 pm

Must win for Scotland but I think the recent revelations regards Hardie and unrest over RWC draw might leave Scotland in need of a pick me up.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 03 Nov 2017, 6:02 pm

Apparently Chris Harris, Luke Hamilton and McGuigan have all been retained. Looks like we'll be seeing some new caps!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 06 Nov 2017, 10:38 am

My picks for Samoa..

F: Bhatti, Ford, Nel, Toolis, Gray, Barclay, Watson, Wilson
B: Price, Russell, McGuigan, Burleigh, Jones, Seymour, Hogg

B: Turner, Marfo, Fagerson, Gilchrist, CDP, Fowles, Dunbar, Jackson

I think Burleigh and Jones could be a great centre combination, I'd be interested to know what others think of the 12/13 combination and if Dunbar Jones is the preffered option here?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 06 Nov 2017, 11:01 am

Ford is injured unfortunately.

If Dunbar is fit he needs to start IMO - he's definitely a class above Burleigh and is one of our best centres.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 06 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

It's amazing how we've seen a polar shift in our problem areas for depth. We've gone from excellent depth in the forwards a few years back but crap in the backs, now to no depth/babies in the forwards and enough depth to cover most injuries in the back (fly half excepted).

This said I don't think I've seen this amount of injuries at the start of a season. I know we talk about these players being professional and getting battered for a living, but it does make me worry. These guys are going to be a worse state than most boxers by the time they're 60.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 06 Nov 2017, 12:09 pm

Fair enough RDW, I didn't realise Ford could get injured! Noticed Cochrane is in now as well as Sutherland and Bradbury.

I thought Burleigh might offer something extra in terms of creativity and kicking, however Dunbar has been a consistent performer for Scotland (excluding England 6N nightmare) so would always be happy to see him starting, been a big fan of him since he first began to make an impact for Glasgow.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 07 Nov 2017, 2:51 pm

A variety of incidents have soured this place a bit for me. It used to be a place for reasoned debate and good rugby knowlegde. Broadly speaking the Scottish threads still are, but tbh there is too much luncacy on these boards for me to engage the way I used to. Just have a look at the "discussions" on some of the other threads to see what I mean.

I am worried about us in the AI's though, as Tattie pointed out in another thread the bulk of our 1st XV are either "cabbaged" or returning from being "cabbaged" and we have to come up against arguably the most physical team in the world, then the best team in the world and then arguably the most skillful team in the world. Could be a long Autumn.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 07 Nov 2017, 3:08 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

A variety of incidents have soured this place a bit for me. It used to be a place for reasoned debate and good rugby knowlegde. Broadly speaking the Scottish threads still are, but tbh there is too much luncacy on these boards for me to engage the way I used to. Just have a look at the "discussions" on some of the other threads to see what I mean.

I am worried about us in the AI's though, as Tattie pointed out in another thread the bulk of our 1st XV are either "cabbaged" or returning from being "cabbaged" and we have to come up against arguably the most physical team in the world, then the best team in the world and then arguably the most skillful team in the world. Could be a long Autumn.

I feel your pain bud. I'm sick to the back teeth of some posters' constant wummery. I try to stick to threads that don't have these bammers for the sake my my PC screen's health!

I'm glad to see that "cabbaged" is catching on! I hope Inverdule starts to make use of it when he's "presenting". Not only is it an under used term, but it's better than F*cked which undoubtedly would break your firewall !
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 07 Nov 2017, 3:09 pm

It has been a bit quiet on here lately - a big part of that is probably FES' company finally discovering what he spends all day doing and banning his access, and Radge's computer not letting him show any page that has words like boobies and r!sky.

Whoops...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 07 Nov 2017, 3:16 pm

haha nice try Lando but that one didn't work. Wink

I'll no doubt be on a wee bit every now and then through the AI's but like I said the Admins and mods really have their work cut out for them sifting through the piles of buffalo dung deposited on these boards. If it's tiresome for me trying to find the interesting and fascinating gems in amongst the nonsesne on here it must be even worse for the likes of Lando and GC.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 07 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm

TBH the Scotland threads are all generally fine - the rest of the forum is a warzone at times but we manage to keep the right balance of fun/serious chat without resorting to petty squabbling. Especially in the AIs when there aren't many Samoan/Kiwi or Aussie posters on here so we can say what we like!

This place is only as good as the posters so don't give up on us yet OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 Nov 2017, 5:33 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:It has been a bit quiet on here lately - a big part of that is probably FES' company finally discovering what he spends all day doing and banning his access, and Radge's computer not letting him show any page that has words like boobies and r!sky.

Whoops...
Fact. Apparently the website www. r!skyb00bies. com had to close down without Radge's steady patronage.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 07 Nov 2017, 5:36 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:It has been a bit quiet on here lately - a big part of that is probably FES' company finally discovering what he spends all day doing and banning his access, and Radge's computer not letting him show any page that has words like boobies and r!sky.

Whoops...
Fact. Apparently the website www. r!skyb00bies. com had to close down without Radge's steady patronage.

A sad day for both parties.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 07 Nov 2017, 5:37 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Whoops...

Now this is the kind of dynamite chat you're missing out on Radge!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 07 Nov 2017, 7:04 pm

Any word on when the team is out?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 07 Nov 2017, 8:34 pm

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41901283

Another fantastic article from John Barclay. Very honest about his concussion problems. And scaring Hoggy..

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 08 Nov 2017, 8:23 am

Johnny B wrote:They give you a list of random words that you have to remember. It used to be five but then they made it 10 when they realised that even a monkey can remember five words.
Or a prop.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 08 Nov 2017, 9:27 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Whoops...

Radge still goes to www.Winkle.com to try and buy the latest in biros
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 08 Nov 2017, 9:28 am

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Whoops...

Radge still goes to www.Winkle.com to try and buy the latest in biros

Lol. I'm sure I've been busted by that filter before!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 08 Nov 2017, 9:39 am

Right, as we’re getting closer to game day (and also by default squad announcement day) here’s my stab at a 23

1. Marfo – Would almost be tempted to play Sutherland, but probably too soon.
2. McInally – Turner has done really well in the loose, but Glasgow’s scrum is a bit of a worry.
3. Nel – I’d probably go with Berg or Fagerson, as I don’t think Nel is in form yet, but I suspect Nel will get the nod.
4. Gray
5. Toolis
6. Barclay
7. Watson
8. Wilson – I think CDP could be in with a shout, but Toonie rates Wilson
9. Price
10. Finn
11. Seymour
12. Dunbar – If fit
13. H. Jones
14. L. Jones – Toonie likes him
15. Hogg

16. Bhatti – Again I’d include Sutherland if not starting on the bench, but probably too soon.
17. Turner
18. Fagerson/Berg – Not really fussed between the two
19. Swinson – Not a fan generally, but is a decent enough pro
20. CDP – Can cover the backrow
21. Fowles – I think the only other 9 in the squad?
22. Horne
23. Harris – can cover centre and wing apparently

Quite a forward heavy bench, but I think it’s probably needed.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Wed 08 Nov 2017, 11:02 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Right, as we’re getting closer to game day (and also by default squad announcement day) here’s my stab at a 23

2. McInally – Turner has done really well in the loose, but Glasgow’s scrum is a bit of a worry.
3. Nel – I’d probably go with Berg or Fagerson, as I don’t think Nel is in form yet, but I suspect Nel will get the nod.
4. Gray
5. Toolis
6. Barclay
7. Watson
9. Price
10. Finn
11. Seymour
12. Dunbar – If fit
13. H. Jones
15. Hogg

16. Bhatti – Again I’d include Sutherland if not starting on the bench, but probably too soon.
17. Turner
22. Horne

Do we think we're Welsh or something?

I think Sutherland comes onto bench and Bhatti starts, but that's just because I really don't rate Marfo...

Otherwise a decent 15, bench not overly inspiring between Turner (promising but green, and a bit lightweight), Swinson (gives his all but meh), Fowles (just very average, couldn't imagine him in any other top 10 23). But we are where we are with the number of injuries. Also what happened to Duncan Taylor? Guessing he's injured but I must've missed it.

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 08 Nov 2017, 11:24 am

Aye Taylor was in a protective boot. He's one of the many injuries.

I don't really rate Marfo either, but he's done ok since joining Edinburgh, that said I don't really mind between the two of them as neither of them are probably ready for international rugby.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 08 Nov 2017, 11:40 am

Samoa rugby is declared Bankrupt.

Will this game be cancelled now?

I'd like to think that the Rugby world would help them out.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 08 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

I guess if they can't cover their players insurance then there is a chance the game won't go ahead.

I don't know if the SRU (Scottish, not Samoan) shares the gate receipts with the SRU (Samoan, not Scottish), but if they do that might help if they get the money in advance to tide them over.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 08 Nov 2017, 11:55 am

I think it is fair to say that with a near sell out stadium the SRU will be doing all they can to play the game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:04 pm

highland_scot wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Right, as we’re getting closer to game day (and also by default squad announcement day) here’s my stab at a 23

4. Gray
5. Toolis
6. Barclay
7. Watson
9. Price
10. Finn
11. Seymour
12. Dunbar – If fit
13. H. Jones
15. Hogg

17. Turner
22. Horne

Do we think we're Welsh or something?

I think Sutherland comes onto bench and Bhatti starts, but that's just because I really don't rate Marfo...

Otherwise a decent 15, bench not overly inspiring between Turner (promising but green, and a bit lightweight), Swinson (gives his all but meh), Fowles (just very average, couldn't imagine him in any other top 10 23). But we are where we are with the number of injuries. Also what happened to Duncan Taylor? Guessing he's injured but I must've missed it.

I agree that neither LH are international class, but on the basis that the Edinburgh scrum has been decent and the Glasgow one has been humped at times, I'd go with Marfo over Bhattie. Marfo is a good experienced pro now too (if a bit of a journeyman) whereas Bhattie is pretty green at Pro level.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:19 pm

Problem with this game, is that I think a load of tickets were given to schools/kids for £1, so I'm not sure how much money the SRU will actually make from this game. As much as they want it to go ahead, if it's not financially beneficial to play it (if they end up covering player insurance etc for Samoa) then it might not go ahead.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:26 pm

Can't imagine it would be a big proportion of the crowd though - there must be 40-50k grown up tickets and although the tickets are cheaper for this game the SRU should certainly at least cover their costs.

There would be uproar if the SRU cancelled it because they wouldn't make any money, and I would like to think they wouldn't even consider doing that. The problem comes if due to any legal reason (or otherwise) the SRU cannot cover insurance costs etc.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:29 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Samoa rugby is declared Bankrupt.

Will this game be cancelled now?

I'd like to think that the Rugby world would help them out.

From reading the Beeb article with the interview with the RFU rep, there is a lot of good will and 'would like to help' but concern about getting sucked into a situation that is the responsibility of the Samoan RU and World Rugby.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:32 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:I guess if they can't cover their players insurance then there is a chance the game won't go ahead.

I don't know if the SRU (Scottish, not Samoan) shares the gate receipts with the SRU (Samoan, not Scottish), but if they do that might help if they get the money in advance to tide them over.

There's no way the game can be cancelled this close to game day. Surely there must be some form of Insurance pot in World Rugby that would cover last minute travel costs and player insurance etc for this kind of event?

Gutted if the game does get pulled form a Scottish perspective but absolutely tragic from a Samona point of view if they don't have rugby after this!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 08 Nov 2017, 1:04 pm

Gotta see this as a political move by Malielegaoi to pressure in the short term, the host nations this November, and ultimately World Rugby. No better way of ensuring awareness of the issue, while quite rightly rattling the tin before kick off. I've no doubt the game will go ahead, but its about time World Rugby got its house in order and looked after the lesser lights

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 08 Nov 2017, 1:08 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Can't imagine it would be a big proportion of the crowd though - there must be 40-50k grown up tickets and although the tickets are cheaper for this game the SRU should certainly at least cover their costs.

There would be uproar if the SRU cancelled it because they wouldn't make any money, and I would like to think they wouldn't even consider doing that. The problem comes if due to any legal reason (or otherwise) the SRU cannot cover insurance costs etc.

I think it works out on average (totally unscientific) at about £10 per ticket as, as you say tickets are cheaper for this game. 60k folk at £10 a pop - £600k, then throw in the sweeties the bbc are paying to show the match, plus merch, and whatever the arrangement regarding food and drink is and the SRU should still be making a decent amount from the game. For arguments sake call it £1m before costs.

There should be enough there to, at worst, break-even, if the SRU have to cover all Samoan costs as well.

I doubt in their wildest dreams the SRU would have budgeted for 60k folk coming to this game, so sure it'll be grand.

I don't know though if there is an issue with one team paying for another in this way, could it impact the Samoans license.

Hopefully this gets resolved, and might also be worth, popping some charity buckets around the place and asking fans to help Samoan rugby, after all they're getting a bit of a bargain on the ticket price.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next