The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England-Windies Limited Overs Stuff

+11
dummy_half
compelling and rich
guildfordbat
wisden
alfie
KP_fan
JDizzle
jimbohammers
eirebilly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

England-Windies Limited Overs Stuff - Page 3 Empty England-Windies Limited Overs Stuff

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Sep 2017, 9:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

England messing up a T20 chase at the moment.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

England-Windies Limited Overs Stuff - Page 3 Empty Re: England-Windies Limited Overs Stuff

Post by eirebilly Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

Butler and Ali are really going for it.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

England-Windies Limited Overs Stuff - Page 3 Empty Re: England-Windies Limited Overs Stuff

Post by JDizzle Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:36 pm

Real shame. That was just heating up nicely! Judging by the forecast that could be it...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:38 pm

That will be it, I do not think we will see anymore play. What a shame for this match as it was very exciting. England ahead on DL but personally I would have still made the Windies favourites as 1 more wicket could have turned this game on its head for them.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:39 pm

Goddamn cricket in September!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:43 pm

I know that there is scheduling to keep but knowing the forecast yesterday, why could this game not have started an hour to an hour and a half earlier when the weather was good?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:46 pm

eirebilly wrote:That will be it, I do not think we will see anymore play. What a shame for this match as it was very exciting. England ahead on DL but personally I would have still made the Windies favourites as 1 more wicket could have turned this game on its head for them.

99 needed from 14.5 overs with 5 wickets left - I think you'd back England to win more often than not from that point, especially as Holder had used up a couple of the better bowlers to try and stay ahead of the D/L score.

I do think the D/L calculations currently favour the batting side in these big chases, especially at 20-25 overs. We've seen that what often happens is teams can stay up with the rate for half an innings but tend then to lose wickets in clusters and end up all out 50 or so runs short.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:57 pm

I live about 10 miles from the Oval in the direction the rain is coming from. Started raining here about 30mins before the Oval and is still raining now albeit lightish. Can't see a resumption myself. Shame as it was well poised.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Sep 2017, 8:32 pm

JDizzle wrote:Real shame. That was just heating up nicely! Judging by the forecast that could be it...

Yes, a real shame although perhaps not too surprising as we're only 12 weeks shy of Christmas! Shocked You can never guarantee decent weather in England but hosting a day / nighter at this time of year was always inviting stoppages.

Surrey have been blitzing members like myself with marketing bumph for months in an attempt to flog tickets for today's ODI. I was too savvy / tight fisted [delete as you choose] to do anything other than watch a bit on tv.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:53 pm

Tom Curran makes his ODI debut in place of Chris Woakes - England win the toss and bowl first
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:57 pm

The last day of the long English summer.

Will be surprised if England win this one, given the off-the-field drama. Expecting some Gayle fireworks.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 1:12 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Tom Curran makes his ODI debut in place of Chris Woakes - England win the toss and bowl first

There's an unattributed quote on cricinfo saying Woakes ''hasn't pulled up well after the Oval''. What does that mean?

I am uneasy about Woakes' form and fitness going into the Ashes. A lot will be resting on him and especially if we are without Roland-Jones and Stokes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 1:19 pm

Duty281 wrote:The last day of the long English summer.

Will be surprised if England win this one, given the off-the-field drama. Expecting some Gayle fireworks.

I think England will be ok here. Hoping Tom Curran puts in a good performance - I like him, takes responsibility and shouldn't be fazed.

PS It didn't seem like the summer season when I was watching outside in April or a week ago! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 1:35 pm

6, 6, 6.

I think Gayle’s got his eye in.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 29 Sep 2017, 1:38 pm

'Morning all

Thought I might as well check in for the last of the summer action : glad to see the weather is permitting play.

Trust there haven't been any more Nasty Revelations about Ben overnight ? I hardly dare check the news these days...

Gayle off to a flyer now ...the ball - and Ball - disappearing into the distance. Looks like it will be get him or chase plenty today...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 1:46 pm

YESSS!!!

Excellent catch from Plunkett and what a debut wicket for Curran!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 29 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm

Good first scalp for young TC thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 29 Sep 2017, 2:07 pm

Woakes injured again as well? It's all falling apart before The Ashes. We'll end up with Jake Ball batting at 8 at this rate

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 2:19 pm

Another very good catch from Plunkett, off his own bowling this time to dismiss a Hope.

Atherton referred earlier to Plunkett as ''reliable''. I get that. Feel he could come in for an Ashes Test or two. Seems strange that he only played two CC matches for Yorks this last season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 29 Sep 2017, 2:23 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Tom Curran makes his ODI debut in place of Chris Woakes - England win the toss and bowl first

There's an unattributed quote on cricinfo saying Woakes ''hasn't pulled up well after the Oval''. What does that mean?

I am uneasy about Woakes' form and fitness going into the Ashes. A lot will be resting on him and especially if we are without Roland-Jones and Stokes.

Picking up on that comment from Morgan : it would appear Woakes is still on the road back in terms of full fitness - something that was fairly apparent when he was (ill advisedly !) selected for the 2nd West Indies Test.

I wouldn't be too worried though : he has a month to rest now before they get back into action so should be good to go when it counts. Pretty much what you'd expect with recovery from a prolonged break : it isn't so much that you're still injured ; just that full strength hasn't returned. Takes a bit of alternating stress and rest. I reckon he will be fine.

More worried that young Ball may not yet have what it takes to thrive on unhelpful Australian pitches. When Gayle went for him he didn't seem to have much of a clue as to what to do...while Curran instinctively had an answer. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this but I just fancy Ball has not quite enough pace and bounce to compensate for a certain lack of smarts. Strikes me he could get a great start on a day and maybe take a bagful ; but if he got off on the wrong foot it might get ugly...

Really think Plunkett (once again impressing with a fine c&b ) should have been in the squad. Guess he will be with the Lions anyway so there to call on if they aren't too proud.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 2:45 pm

Alfie - I know I mentioned Dawson yesterday as a possibility if Stokes doesn't make the Ashes trip but I would expect Plunkett to be the favourite to come in.

Taking out Gayle's opening blitz (too showy and too soon for my liking), we've done well so far. Tidy bowling and fielding.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:04 pm

I haven't seen it reported anywhere that Woakes is injured
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:11 pm

Slow steady by West Indies against the spinners. Only two down so they've scope for an onslaught late...

But even as I type Samuels loses patience and presents Buttler with the easiest of stumpings...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:13 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I haven't seen it reported anywhere that Woakes is injured

No : they're just referencing Morgan saying he " hasn't come up so well" after the other night. Tiredness , more than injury , I'd say.
Resting him in a dead rubber makeś perfect sense.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:13 pm

In the modern game the way these two have batted has been spectacularly unimpressive. Still, they have a platform of sorts, and maybe the lower order can come in and do some damage.

Samuels has had a very poor series.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:20 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:In the modern game the way these two have batted has been spectacularly unimpressive. Still, they have a platform of sorts, and maybe the lower order can come in and do some damage.

Yep 32 off 60 balls is about as bad on ODI innings as you can play. You'd be better off scoring 15 off 7 balls or something imo. Just wasting deliveries
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:23 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:In the modern game the way these two have batted has been spectacularly unimpressive. Still, they have a platform of sorts, and maybe the lower order can come in and do some damage.

Must be missing Ben Stokes Smile

To me , Samuels is representative of the troubles of West Indian cricket today : he has ability. But he fails to use it so often you have to wonder how much he actually cares. the contrast with , say , Holder , is enormous.
If West Indies are to revive themselves - in more than the twenty over thrash - they need players with a bit more mental strength. Like young Hope , perhaps.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:24 pm

Yeah, tepid stuff so far from the Windies (Gayle excluded).

Reminds me of Australia’s poor batting a few days ago against India.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:42 pm

78 balls and Hope finally hits a boundary. Shocked

Two in two!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:51 pm

England's fielding has been superb today clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 29 Sep 2017, 3:54 pm

Hope's a nice player, but needs to learn to hit the ball rather than stroke it if he's to become a successful ODI batsman.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:01 pm

Those of us (I'm particularly thinking of myself and the much missed Mike Selig) who doubted Woakes' international prospects four or so years ago, when many were clamouring for his England call up, did so on the grounds that he lacked pace for the top level.

With no false modesty, I think that Mike and I were right. To the extent anyway that Woakes did have to up his pace in order to establish himself in the England side.

I may be making too much of things (and hope I am) but he does seem to have struggled this season with form and fitness. I just wonder whether the extra speed he's had to find has put undue pressure on his body.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 4:25 pm

Just got in. Has England's bowling been so good to keep the score so low, has it been the Windies batting or just a difficult track?

Morgan miss fields as I tune in. Really do think that it is time for him to go. Not because of a miss field but because I do not think he offers so much any more.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 5:04 pm

Hi Billy - only watched up to 30 overs bowled. Ball got some heavy tap from Gayle but otherwise we were on the money during that time. Thought the two spinners particularly bowled well although, as others have said, the Windies were pretty cautious. Fielding was smart as well then.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 5:21 pm

Howya Guilford. From what I have seen so far (last 5 overs of the windies up until now) it looks a decent track to bat on. Should be an easy chase for England.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 5:29 pm

eirebilly wrote:Howya Guilford. From what I have seen so far (last 5 overs of the windies up until now) it looks a decent track to bat on. Should be an easy chase for England.

The Windies ended up with more than I thought they would get when I stopped watching at the 30 over mark. However, I agree we should be able to chase down their total. We just need to make sure we don't chuck away wickets unnecessarily.

If the Windies are to win, they're going to need to take at least 8 wickets, if not all of them.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 5:33 pm

What do you think about Morgan Guildford, is he worth sticking with or should England get a new ODI captain in preparation for the future?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 5:37 pm

have said it before and I will say it again, I really hate these reviews that clearly show a batsman out but to remain umpires call. If it is a wicket then it is a wicket.

At the very least, the Windies should not have lost a review for that type of incident.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 5:43 pm

Hi again Billy - in a funny sort of way, I think the Stokes situation has probably made Morgan's position a little more secure, at least in the short term. Stokes has been such a key member of the side that we probably don't want the disruption of having to replace him and the captain at the same time.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 5:55 pm

eirebilly wrote: have said it before and I will say it again, I really hate these reviews that clearly show a batsman out but to remain umpires call. If it is a wicket then it is a wicket.

At the very least, the Windies should not have lost a review for that type of incident.

Billy - you've got to keep in mind though that the reason reviews were introduced was to cut out howlers by the onfield umpires. There's a case for saying this wasn't a howler and so the fielding side should not have reviewed in the first place.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:01 pm

Maybe the situation with Stokes may have helped Morgan Guildford but I think that should have no bearing on things. To me, Morgan is no longer worth his spot. he will come up with the one decent innings but for the rest he offers very little anymore. I would certainly be looking at others with a view to the future.

I also understand why the reviews were brought in but the game has developed past that and they should be used as if there is a wicket, then it is a wicket.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:08 pm

A second successive 50 for Roy. I doubt he'll ever have the consistency we crave but when he gets it right, we'll normally win.

Ours to lose from here.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:14 pm

I like Roy but I also feel he works better with a steady batsman. Him and Bairstow make a very good partnership I feel. Roy and Hales just doesn't seem balanced to me somehow.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:15 pm

guildfordbat wrote:A second successive 50 for Roy. I doubt he'll ever have the consistency we crave but when he gets it right, we'll normally win.

Ours to lose from here.

He seems to have refound his form - i really think he should open in our best ODI XI - he makes use of the power play and gets us off to a flyer, allowing his partner to play themselves in. Definitely a spot for him with Stokes out for a while tho!

When Stokes is back England have a real dilemma between him, Hales and Bairstow for the two opening slots
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:31 pm

Roy wants to finish this in a hurry
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:35 pm

What a shame for Roy, really deserved the ton.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:36 pm

Oh he's just missed out on a hundred - just missed a straight one for 96. Lovely innings again from Roy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

Very disappointed for Roy missing out on a deserved century but pleased by his onfield response. A quick word with Bairstow to check the decision was correct (which it was) and then straight off without wasting a review. Suggests his head is in a much better place than earlier this season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Sep 2017, 7:00 pm

100 needed off 24 overs with 9 wickets left.

The words ''cake'', ''piece'' and ''of'' come to mind.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 Sep 2017, 7:13 pm

Says a lot about how far we've come under Morgan/Bayliss that a Chase of 280 is beyond routine - in the "old" days we'd have struggled!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 30 Sep 2017, 12:47 pm

Can anyone explain how Jake Ball gets into the ODI team?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next