The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2

+47
St John The Enforcer
Standulstermen
Taylorman
Brendan
eirebilly
Geen sport voor watjes
Pot Hale
formerly known as Sam
wolfball
doctor_grey
brennomac
Redman
Maine man
Kingshu
Golden
Collapse2005
rodders
SecretFly
geoff999rugby
Intotouch
mikey_dragon
theslosty
thebandwagonsociety
carpet baboon
Artful_Dodger
The Great Aukster
Engine#4
toml
BigGee
whocares
Sin é
Pete330v2
the-goon
rapidsnowman
LeinsterFan4life
asoreleftshoulder
VinceWLB
Marshes
No 7&1/2
BamBam
LordDowlais
RDW
marty2086
aucklandlaurie
Rory_Gallagher
Don Alfonso
profitius
51 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2 Empty Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2

Post by profitius Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Continued from this one. https://www.606v2.com/t63658-irish-provinces-news-gossip-thread-2016-17

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2 Empty Re: Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2

Post by profitius Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 pm

So some new faces this season making the breakthrough.

Munster: Wootton, Liam O'Connor, Sean O'Connor, Wycherley

Leinster: Larmour, James Ryan, Porter,

Ulster: Rea

Connacht: ?

Anyone I'm missing?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2 Empty Re: Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2

Post by Don Alfonso Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 pm

https://twitter.com/MorganPiek/status/907964537487458304

Ulsteresque.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:https://twitter.com/MorganPiek/status/907964537487458304

Ulsteresque.

Wow. Haha.

Pro14 has been working a treat so far.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 pm

Nick McCarthy heading out to replace Gibson-Park.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm not sure on this, but I was of the opinion that these visas had to be applied for IN New Zealand?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 pm

profitius wrote:So some new faces this season making the breakthrough.

Anyone I'm missing?

Hopefully for Ulster Lyttle will get back from injury and kick on, Cairns will start to feature at scrumhalf and Montgomery will seize his chance. Also, Kane to establish himself and by-pass Ah You ,and possibly even O'Hagan to start getting some game time.

That would be a very good return for the season.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Some fascinating matches this weekend for the provinces. 3 tight matches and although Leinster should win, they've a weakened team in their first match in SA.

Teams

Munster: Andrew Conway, Darren Sweetnam, Chris Farrell, Jaco Taute, Alex Wootton; Tyler Bleyendaal – capt., Duncan Williams; Liam O’Connor, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland; Sean O’Connor, Tommy O’Donnell, Jack O’Donoghue.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, James Cronin, John Ryan, Fineen Wycherley, Robin Copeland, James Hart, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo.

Connacht: (15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Darragh Leader, Tom Farrell, Bundee Aki, Rory Scholes, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade,
(1-8) Denis Coulson, Tom McCartney, Conor Carey, Quinn Roux, James Cannon, Eoghan Masterson, Jake Heenan, John Muldoon.

Replacements (16-23): Dave Heffernan, Peter McCabe, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Gavin Thornbury, Jarrad Butler, Kieran Marmion, Steve Crosbie, Eoin Griffin.

Ulster:(1-8): Kyle McCall, Rob Herring, Wiehahn Herbst, Kieran Treadwell, Alan O'Connor, Chris Henry (captain), Sean Reidy, Jean Deysel;
(9-15): John Cooney, Christian Lealiifano, Jacob Stockdale, Stuart McCloskey, Luke Marshall, Andrew Trimble, Louis Ludik.

Replacements (16-23): John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Rodney Ah You, Robbie Diack, Matthew Rea, Paul Marshall, Peter Nelson, Tommy Bowe.

Leinster (Leinster caps in brackets):

15. Joey Carbery (23)
14. Adam Byrne (26)
13. Rory O’Loughlin (23)
12. Noel Reid (82)
11. Dave Kearney (111)
10. Ross Byrne (25)
9. Luke McGrath (76)
1. Ed Byrne (9)
2. Seán Cronin (130)
3. Andrew Porter (10)
4. Ross Molony (45)
5. James Ryan (1)
6. Rhys Ruddock (132) CAPTAIN
7. Jordi Murphy (86)
8. Jack Conan (53)

16. James Tracy (44)
17. Cian Healy (174)
18. Michael Bent (89)
19. Mick Kearney (22)
20. Josh van der Flier (48)
21. Nick McCarthy (9)
22. Cathal Marsh (20)
23. Jordan Larmour (2)
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:

Anyone I'm missing?

Hopefully for Ulster Lyttle will get back from injury and kick on, Cairns will start to feature at scrumhalf and Montgomery will seize his chance. Also, Kane to establish himself and by-pass Ah You ,and possibly even O'Hagan to start getting some game time.

That would be a very good return for the season.

McBurney too may get start to break through as the season progresses too along with McPhillips and Patterson

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Jordi Murphy will want to make a statement. The competition in that Leinster back row, never mind Ireland, is immense. For example, I thought that last season Leavy had overtaken van der Flier, but in the first two games at least, vdF looked more ferocious than I have seen from him before. Obviously he is determined to nail the 7 shirt and push Leavy into 6 at best.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm

David Wessel is in Ireland being interviewed for the Munster job. Melbourne rebels also looking for him to coach.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:28 am

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:47 am

Rumours that SA's Forwards coach Johann Van Graan may be the new Munster DoR... Not a bad call.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:57 am

Anyone I'm missing?

Scarlets: Tadhg Beirne OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:03 am

LordDowlais wrote:

Anyone I'm missing?

Scarlets: Tadhg Beirne OK

He made his breakthrough last season Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:05 am

Christ marty, you would cause an argument in an empty room you would.

picard

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 am

Excuse me for having to constantly correct you, try getting things right

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:16 am

You must be a hoot.

picard

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:49 am

Sorry to have upset you

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:54 am

And its also the Irish provinces thread Rolling Eyes

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:05 am

OK fair enough marty.

As long as your feeding your addiction of always having to be right all the time I suppose.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:20 am

LordDowlais wrote:OK fair enough marty.

As long as your feeding your addiction of always having to be right all the time I suppose.

Listen maybe you should just being so good damn sensitive, I corrected you but you don't seem to have a problem with BamBam pointing out its about the Provinces

Maybe just stop being such an a$$

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:22 am

I think he's blocked me, the sensitive little lamb

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 am

He really doesn't like it when you point out flaws or inaccuracies in his arguments.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Looking forward to seeing ? breakthrough at Connacht this season!!

For Connacht I'd say that Kelleher will have a better season now that he is settled, and Tom Farrell has looked really good in the few performances he has had. Stephen Crosbie as well looked very positive when he came on in the few early games but he seems to be down the pecking order. I'd also like to see James Connelly get more game time but the backrow is fairly stacked.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Beirne was class against Connacht when he can win last night, were I Ireland coach I'd be making an exception to get him in there, especially if he has agreed to come back next season. Big loss for Scarlets but I think he has ambitions to represent Ireland, and I think he is the best second row that is IQ

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Beirne apparently signed the contract with Munster: http://www.the42.ie/tadhg-beirne-munster-scarlets-contract-3625969-Oct2017/

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:32 am

Scarlets have also confirmed that Beirne is leaving at the end of the season.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Marshes wrote:Beirne was class against Connacht when he can win last night, were I Ireland coach I'd be making an exception to get him in there, especially if he has agreed to come back next season. Big loss for Scarlets but I think he has ambitions to represent Ireland, and I think he is the best second row that is IQ

No he is not - Henderson is

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:06 pm

How has Hendo started the season? I wouldn't be able to pick between the two of them on club form over the past year, Hendo has had some absolutely brilliant games for Ireland and the Lions though.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:50 pm

They're different type of players. James Ryan coming through too so secondrow stocks look healthy for a change. Been a while since that was the case. We'll need them all too because of injuries.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Hendo has come on as sub once and started once.

Getting up to speed nicely I reckon.

I cant agree we look healthy there though - looks very weak to me as does Hooker, 15 and with Jackson AWOL 10

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:43 pm

I'd say we are about a year off looking really healthy there, but some very promising options in Treadwell, Ryan, Beirne, and AOC. Those join Toner, Hendo, and Dillane (although he isn't established he has always played well for Ireland.

Hooker we are looking at Best, Scannell, Cronin, McCartney (now IQ), Tracey, Herring, Strauss? Not terrible to be honest, Scannell I think is the future

Jesus thinking about 15 you are right it is a bit lean: Kearney, Payne, Zebo, TOH, Carbery, Conway, Gilroy in a pinch?

But fly-half is the real headache. I wouldn't be too keen to flay Sexton for the AIs, we need to be getting the understudy plenty of gametime ahead of the Six Nations, whoever that might be.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Marshes wrote:
Hooker we are looking at Best, Scannell, Cronin, McCartney (now IQ), Tracey, Herring, Strauss? Not terrible to be honest, Scannell I think is the future

Best is currently injured, Herring is the shadow of the player he was 18 months ago and is being pushed close by John Andrew for his place at the minute, McCartney isn't anywhere near test class for me he's too erratic and Strauss is another who has dropped off and Tracey seems to be closer to being nailed on as hooker at Leinster for me

Marshes wrote:Jesus thinking about 15 you are right it is a bit lean: Kearney, Payne, Zebo, TOH, Carbery, Conway, Gilroy in a pinch?

Payne apparently still having headaches, Kearney seems to be injury prone these days and Gilroy won't be near 15 for Ulster but Ludik and Stockdale can cover there

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Hendo has come on as sub once and started once.

I cant agree we look healthy there though - looks very weak to me as does Hooker, 15 and with Jackson AWOL 10

Hooker isn't too bad. I think Scannell will challenge Best this season and Cronin is a good bench option. After that there's a big drop in quality.

Jackson missing is a big blow. Carbery starts at 15 for leinster. Hanrahan is back with Munster alright so we'll see how he goes this season. November is probably too soon to make an Ireland squad.

Secondrow was looking weak in in the last year or so we've seen some options emerge like Dillane, Treadwell, J Ryan and Beirne. I don't think Beirne will get called up to an Ireland squad if he is playing in Wales.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:17 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Marshes wrote:

Best is currently injured, Herring is the shadow of the player he was 18 months ago and is being pushed close by John Andrew for his place at the minute, McCartney isn't anywhere near test class for me he's too erratic and Strauss is another who has dropped off and Tracey seems to be closer to being nailed on as hooker at Leinster for me

Marshes wrote:Jesus thinking about 15 you are right it is a bit lean: Kearney, Payne, Zebo, TOH, Carbery, Conway, Gilroy in a pinch?

Payne apparently still having headaches, Kearney seems to be injury prone these days and Gilroy won't be near 15 for Ulster but Ludik and Stockdale can cover there

How close is someone like John Andrew? Don't know much about him. What about young McBurney that was with the Ireland u20s, did he get any decent time against Zebre? What has happened with Herring? Judging by the squad for the summer tour the pecking order is Best, Scannell, Cronin, Tracey and then we have Heffernan, Strauss, Sherry, and Herring capped. It is not as deep as I would like, but not as desperate as fly-half.

I feel like the back three is a bit of a concern over all to be honest, quality coming through but we don't have anyone with a spot nailed down with Kearney, Bowe and Trimble vacating long held spots in the squad. That is particularly an issue at full back, but I'd be happy with Zebo, Carbery or TOH with cover from some of the young wings/15s at Ulster/Munster/Leinster.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:25 pm

profitius wrote:

Hooker isn't too bad. I think Scannell will challenge Best this season and Cronin is a good bench option. After that there's a big drop in quality.

Jackson missing is a big blow. Carbery starts at 15 for leinster. Hanrahan is back with Munster alright so we'll see how he goes this season. November is probably too soon to make an Ireland squad.

Secondrow was looking weak in in the last year or so we've seen some options emerge like Dillane, Treadwell, J Ryan and Beirne. I don't think Beirne will get called up to an Ireland squad if he is playing in Wales.

Is Tracey not a decent option as well prof? Seemed solid whenever I have seen him.

It is a bit weird that we have an obvious crisis emerging at 10, and we are playing Carbery at 15 and Hanrahan at 12. I think this hints that Ross Bryne and Bleyendaal may be in line for gametime in November.

For 2nd row, I think the IRFU should be getting Beirne in now that he has committed to return to Ireland, no reason to be waiting for the formalities. Along with Hendo, Beirne has been the form Irish lock at club level for the last season and change, we should be getting him game-time lickety split while the other young bucks need time to mature. The other option is that we keep Donnacha Ryan in the squad.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:25 pm

Marshes wrote:
How close is someone like John Andrew? Don't know much about him. What about young McBurney that was with the Ireland u20s, did he get any decent time against Zebre? What has happened with Herring? Judging by the squad for the summer tour the pecking order is Best, Scannell, Cronin, Tracey and then we have Heffernan, Strauss, Sherry, and Herring capped. It is not as deep as I would like, but not as desperate as fly-half.

I feel like the back three is a bit of a concern over all to be honest, quality coming through but we don't have anyone with a spot nailed down with Kearney, Bowe and Trimble vacating long held spots in the squad. That is particularly an issue at full back, but I'd be happy with Zebo, Carbery or TOH with cover from some of the young wings/15s at Ulster/Munster/Leinster.

I don't think Andrew is close, his darts are too erratic. He's a dangerous ball carrier but doesn't offer the same as someone like Cronin or Scannell

I think Herring was injured for a good part of last season but hasn't looked much better this season. He was almost on par with Best 18 months ago but his scrummaging has dropped off as has most areas of his game

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:26 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
Marshes wrote:Beirne was class against Connacht when he can win last night, were I Ireland coach I'd be making an exception to get him in there, especially if he has agreed to come back next season. Big loss for Scarlets but I think he has ambitions to represent Ireland, and I think he is the best second row that is IQ

No he is not - Henderson is

I don't think so. Beirne is the complete player. Henderson is meh in comparison.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:05 am

Marshes wrote:
profitius wrote:

Is Tracey not a decent option as well prof? Seemed solid whenever I have seen him.

It is a bit weird that we have an obvious crisis emerging at 10, and we are playing Carbery at 15 and Hanrahan at 12. I think this hints that Ross Bryne and Bleyendaal may be in line for gametime in November.

For 2nd row, I think the IRFU should be getting Beirne in now that he has committed to return to Ireland, no reason to be waiting for the formalities. Along with Hendo, Beirne has been the form Irish lock at club level for the last season and change, we should be getting him game-time lickety split while the other young bucks need time to mature. The other option is that we keep Donnacha Ryan in the squad.

Tracy was ahead of Scannell this time last year but Scannell is a mile ahead of him now. Tracy's throwing consistency is the problem. Heffernan is another good athlete but his throwing needs a lot of work. Mike Sherry is an interesting one. If he can get over his injuries (which remains to be seen) then he has the talent to play international rugby.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:54 am

Van Graan signs for Munster. Seems to have a good reputation.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 am

That should tide Munster over for 6 months

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Great performance from Leinster today. Great intensity from the pack against a much bigger side. Carbery, Bryne, and Daly all very good on attack. Henshaw proving a lot of the doubters wrong with a brilliant performance, shows he has the class even though he is often used as a blunt instrument.

Luke McGrath I thought let the occasion get to him a bit, fairly erratic performance. And Adam Bryne will be having nightmares of Nadolo!

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Ryan had a great game for a young fella thrown in at such short notice,he has huge potential.Furlong was class again,his play in the loose is unbelievable,a TH who plays like a 12.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Ryan just gets better and better every time I see him play. He is a machine and really should be considered first choice for Ireland within the year.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Hopefully he’ll get there soon,with Ryan and Stockdale we have 2 young men with the potential to be world class.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Agree. I also feel that CJ Stander has a fight on his hands for the number 8 jersey for Ireland right now as well. Just as I thought he would usurp Heaslip for Ireland, he is now under some pressure.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Stander hasn't seemed anywhere near his best for a while now

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:58 pm

eirebilly wrote:Agree. I also feel that CJ Stander has a fight on his hands for the number 8 jersey for Ireland right now as well. Just as I thought he would usurp Heaslip for Ireland, he is now under some pressure.
Is Jack Conan not his biggest worry? The guy has been incredible for the last 18 months at least.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:00 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Agree. I also feel that CJ Stander has a fight on his hands for the number 8 jersey for Ireland right now as well. Just as I thought he would usurp Heaslip for Ireland, he is now under some pressure.
Is Jack Conan not his biggest worry? The guy has been incredible for the last 18 months at least.

He is exactly who I am referring to. I feel he has usurped Heaslip at Leinster and, if form dictates selection, should be Irelands number 8 ahead of CJ Stander right now.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next