The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Boxing Super Series: Cruiser/SM

+7
milkyboy
BoxingFan88
Hammersmith harrier
mobilemaster8
TheSquaredCircle
AdamT
hazharrison
11 posters

Go down

World Boxing Super Series: Cruiser/SM Empty World Boxing Super Series: Cruiser/SM

Post by hazharrison Wed 28 Jun 2017, 10:23 am

The Cruiser tournament looks superb with just about all of the top cruisers taking part:

Gassiev - IBF
Huck
Breidis - WBC
Dorticos- WBA
Wlodarczyk

Poised to join:

Glowacki
Usyk
Kudryashov

That has to be the greatest tournament of all time (single elimination with final in May).

Jamie Cox has joined the SM field (that includes George Groves).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

World Boxing Super Series: Cruiser/SM Empty Re: World Boxing Super Series: Cruiser/SM

Post by AdamT Wed 28 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

Who do you pick as top guy? I have watched these guys fight, but I'm not too clued up on who the best guys are at cruiser.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

World Boxing Super Series: Cruiser/SM Empty Re: World Boxing Super Series: Cruiser/SM

Post by TheSquaredCircle Wed 28 Jun 2017, 11:05 am

Some of them are in the twiglight zone. Breidis and usyk will bring the most excitement and come out as top of the pack.

TheSquaredCircle

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 28 Jun 2017, 11:07 am

Id have to say Usyk will dominate. Great coming out tournament for him. Already started his pro career well and has all the tools.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 28 Jun 2017, 2:52 pm

Usyk or Gassiev would start favourite but if that is the field, it includes most of the current top ten (one of the best divisions currently).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 28 Jun 2017, 3:00 pm

It will produce decent fights largely because the boxers themselves are pretty poor, it's a competitive division rather than a talent laden one.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 28 Jun 2017, 8:48 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It will produce decent fights largely because the boxers themselves are pretty poor, it's a competitive division rather than a talent laden one.

Usyk is one of the brightest talents in the game. Gassiev, one of the toughest. Kudryashov, one of the most exciting. All three are talented fighters.

It will be exciting due to the fact these are exciting fighters, rather than poor. And unlike the Super Six, it's single elimination (less pull-outs, more on the line).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 28 Jun 2017, 9:26 pm

Usyk might separate himself from the rest but calling the rest tough sums them up perfectly for me; don't get me wrong it makes for decent fights.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 29 Jun 2017, 2:07 pm

Pretty good tournament for a supposedly "Weak" division

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 29 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm

Cruiser has been one of the most action packed divisions for a couple of years. This should be a cracking tournament.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 07 Jul 2017, 8:15 am

Eubank and Callum Smith added to the SM tourney. Really great news.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 07 Jul 2017, 2:07 pm

Mike Perez just added to Cruiser in place of Glowacki:

Usyk - WBO
Briedis - WBC
Gassiev - IBF
Dorticos - WBA
Huck
Wlodarczyk
Kudryashov
Perez

Greatest tournament in boxing history?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 07 Jul 2017, 8:11 pm

Maybe it's because there are no brits in the cruiser comp, maybe it's just because it's cruiser and it's been carp for so long it's hard to get your head round it being interesting... but I'm struggling to get much excitement up for this.

I don't know who else is in the super middleweight comp, but already with smith groves and Eubanks in it, it holds a bit more interest for me.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 08 Jul 2017, 12:03 pm

Sorry hammer, you're usually on the money, but in this case you're so wrong.

It isn't the most talented division, that's nearly always ww to mw, but it's not shoddy. This is, probably, the best cruiser division in long time, if not ever.

If you're a boxing fan, you should get behind it. For way too long 'fans' have been whining about how the best don't fight the best. Well, here we are! Support it, or tone down the negativity.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Jul 2017, 11:59 pm

https://youtu.be/WyC-BzT-1K4

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by ShockmasterV2 Mon 10 Jul 2017, 9:08 am

Confirmed fights as follows, seeded fighters chose their own opponents...

Super-middleweight

George Groves v Jamie Cox

Callum Smith v Erik Skoglund

Chris Eubank Jr/Arthur Abraham v Avni Yildirim

Jurgen Brahmer v Rob Brant

Cruiserweight

Oleksandr Usyk v Marco Huck

Murat Gassiev v Krzysztof Wlodarczyk

Mairis Briedis v Mike Perez

Yunier Dorticos v Dmitry Kudryashov

Got to say, although it lacks the quality of the super 6 this is a very positive breath of fresh air for boxing in my opinion.

Finding it hard to look past Callum Smith starting some sort of legacy here, and props to Jamie Cox for giving it a go. I'll say it now this will end with Eubank JR pulling out for whatever reason.
ShockmasterV2
ShockmasterV2

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 10 Jul 2017, 10:17 am

I retract my earlier comments about being more excited by the super middles. It's hardly a who's who. Seems like they've gone down the relatively unknown with unbeaten records route. That said, I'd watch any combination of groves v smith v Eubank... just not sure about I'd be too excited about the others. Skoglund & yildrim might prove decent opposition for smith/Eubank, but wake me up in Jan/Feb for the semi's.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 10 Jul 2017, 10:36 am

http://www.boxingscene.com/huck-well-see-how-good-usyk-he-gets-with-me--118338

Great test this for Usyk for an opener you'd think Huck is tailored for him but can Marco slow him down to the body or can Usyk box a composed fight? We'll get to know more about Usyk during this one for sure

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Jul 2017, 7:27 am

It would be great if they could roll this out through the divisions. Dorticos vs Kudryashov looks the pick of the first round bouts.

I like Gassiev at Cruiser (with Perez a live 'dog).

I think there'll be a surprise at SM. Don't fancy Groves, Eubank or Smith (think the latter's chin gets found out).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 11 Jul 2017, 10:21 am

Which of the 'dogs at SM do you think is a live one Haz... can't say i've seen any of them fight.

Personally i have no opinion either way on smith's chin... don't recall seeing him in trouble... don't recall him fighting anyone who could test it either... what have you seen or is it just a hunch?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 11 Jul 2017, 10:52 am

milkyboy wrote:Which of the 'dogs at SM do you think is a live one Haz... can't say i've seen any of them fight.

Personally i have no opinion either way on smith's chin... don't recall seeing him in trouble... don't recall him fighting anyone who could test it either... what have you seen or is it just a hunch?

Maybe Jamie Cox. Can't see the likes of Yildirim bothering Eubank. I know Cox looked average last time but he may just shock Groves and go on from there.

Just a hunch on Smith. Rarely do fighters of his build hold a shot well.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 11 Jul 2017, 4:30 pm

I like watching Cox has a Duran-like intensity almost like he has a screw loose. Not saying he's on the great man's level of course but when anyone comes to fight with Cox you're going to get fireworks. Cox might pick up a few losses along the way but never stops battling. He's no easy target like Chudinov if he keeps his composure this could be closer than the betting would indicate

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 14 Jul 2017, 10:08 pm

https://youtu.be/J_YOSfcGCdc

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 14 Jul 2017, 10:29 pm

https://youtu.be/90ifHb8t8Q4

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 16 Jul 2017, 5:26 pm

Given the nature of boxing, close wins, 'lucky' punches, would it have been a good idea for the super series to give the 'losers' opportunity to enter into another competition, like they do in rugby 7's? A type of plate competition.

It could provide the undercard too.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 18 Jul 2017, 5:00 am

https://youtu.be/3NdByrYZm3s

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sat 22 Jul 2017, 4:48 pm

Just announced Bredis V Perez will be on September 30th in Riga, Latvia. The WBC Strap on the line. Cannot wait for this really intriguing fight

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 22 Jul 2017, 5:10 pm

https://youtu.be/u1sQ0Pjt6BQ

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 24 Jul 2017, 6:30 pm

Groves v Cox announced for 14th October at Wembley arena

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 01 Sep 2017, 5:54 pm

https://youtu.be/qaDB4LzCGxE

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 05 Sep 2017, 10:22 am

Wonder just how many of these fights actually ARE going to be free to air it mentions just the second quarter final here so already I know I have to pay for the one I'm most looking forward to Cox vs Groves? I'm guessing none of the semis will be free to air. Wouldn't mind paying £9.99 for a few of them but if it's going to be £16.99 a pop I think I'll probably try to watch by some other means?

http://www.boxingscene.com/world-boxing-super-series-tv-itv-uk--120163

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 05 Sep 2017, 11:36 am

Hope it backfires and they don't do great sales now seriously all the quarter finals should have been free to air to generate the buzz then semis and final would have been massive with a huge audience couldn't give a sh1t about the fans these promoters the more platforms they have the more they'll try to make you pay short sighted

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 05 Sep 2017, 6:02 pm

I'm confused ITV has been announced as showing all of the super series, but this weekend's fight is not shown anywhere as far as I can see

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 05 Sep 2017, 7:11 pm

Believe it's on ITV4 mate

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down