The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Final

5 posters

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Final Empty Aviva Premiership - Final

Post by Fluxy Mon 22 May 2017, 8:34 pm

Teams to be named by 12:00 hours on Thursday
Tactics by 17:00 hours on Friday

Predictions to be PM’d to Fluxy by 12:00 hours on Friday

Newcastle Falcons vs Northampton Saints
Twickenham Stadium
Sunny, 27 Degrees, 11mph South Easterly Winds

Aviva Premiership - Final 8 Newcastle Falcons
Manager – Bambam

01. Matt Mullan09. Rhys Webb 
02. Jamie George  10. Owen Farrell 
03. Vincent Koch
04. Guido Petti11. Charles Piutau
05. Lood De Jager12. Scott Williams
06. Pablo Matera13. Vince Aso
07. Francois Louw14. Denny Solomona
08. Kieran Read (c) 15. Ben Smith
:-
16. Camille Chat 17. Alec Hepburn 18. Davit Kubriashvili 19. Matt Symons 20. Elliott Dixon 21. Callum Clark 22. Will Chudley 23. Paddy Jackson

Attributes
Counter Attacking: Receiving the ball down field, your players will look to attack with ball in hand, thriving in the broken field and open spaces.
Phase Attack: Attacks build momentum until an opportunity arises.
Breakdown: Slowing up ball: The defenders can get over the ball to slow it up and prevent the attack from building momentum and allowing your defence to set.
Blitz Defence: Your side is known for Blitz and excels at it

Game plan

We want to go out there and front up to Saints physically, from 1-8 we back our pack to at least match their opposite number in the collisions and we want to dominate the breakdown with the quality in our back row

Target the lineout - with Lood/Read/Matera we have 3 top quality jumpers we can use from front to back, while Petti is an excellent front jumper - Read to call the line out and pick apart their throw, or make them go safe at the front where we will be ready to defend the ball

We're going after turnovers - Louw and Read to lead us here, see how much support the ageing Burger gets from the rest of his pack - 6-2 bench split means we've got two fresh flankers coming on to combat Pocock in the last 20 in this area

We're expecting Farrell to be the big game player - backing him to kick his goals and get in Sopoaga's face, test him in the heat of battle and hit him at every opportunity

Set piece - Look to really put their props under maximum pressure with our strong front row, we've got a great scrummaging lock pairing to help. If no weakness, use as restart. On their ball, mark their second rows and force long throws. On our ball, use the back row options to mix it up.

Breakdown - Back row and hooker to lead the way on turnovers. Others focus on strong clear outs and maintaining a strong defensive line. . On our ball, smash them off the ball, use pod system to ensure support if they are having success. Our openside is charged with keeping their main breakdown threat off our ball, and target turnovers if one of their carriers gets isolated

Kicking - Options throughout the backs . Kick in behind the wings for territory, aim for space not the man. Challenge wings positioning, Wings free to drop back for the counter off their kicks

Attack - Run our attack off 9 who sets the tempo, constantly change the point of attack and get our 10 quick ball.. Challenge their 10 defensively with our power backs cutting in running hard lines at his channel with the full back coming into the line. Big carrying forwards to set a platform, run at 10/12 all day long to put them on the back foot off first phase, see how they handle it.

Defence - no weak links in the backline, use the blitz defence to put them on the back foot,

Bench - Big carrying forwards throughout and talented, pacy backs to see us home

Northampton Saints
Interim DoR: Ozzy3213

01. Mako Vunipola09. Conor Murray
02. Dylan Hartley ©10. Lima Sopoaga
03. Ramiro Herrera
04. Joe Launchbury      11. Julian Savea
05. Jonny Gray12. Wesley Fofana
06. Facundo Isa13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
07. Schalk Burger14. Elliott Daly
08. Billy Vunipola15. Leigh Halfpenny
Replacements: 16. Schalk Brits 17.  Wyatt Crockett 18. Jake Cooper-Woolley 19. Paul Jedrasiak 20. David Pocock 21. Joe Simpson 22. George Ford 23. Manu Tuilagi

Northampton Saints name an unchanged side from their semi final win over Quins.  Interim DoR Ozzy3213 had this to say, "The boys played really well last week, and deserve another crack, so we're going with the same 23.  They've worked really hard in the short time I've been here and are really determined to get across the line.  Newcastle are a good side as they demonstrated against Sale and we will have to be at our best to win.  We'll have to see how much that win has taken out of them though."

Attributes
Breakdown - Clearing: Ensuring the possession is clean and quick with quick support to the breakdown
First phase attack/strike moves: Will look to break the defence, with either a bust through or a clever move to create a gap.
Breakdown - Turnover possession: Your side is recognised to pick off turnovers at the breakdown, by getting the ball and gaining the penalty.

Tactics
Priority One – The Gain Line.  In attack and defence we will look to hit with intensity, be it carrying, clearing in attack or smashing back in defence.
Priority Two – Make Falcons best attacking threats defend.  Use big carriers (forwards) slightly further out from the ruck area, down the channels defended by backs, forcing them to work hard in defence and thereby disrupting their attacking concentration/flow.

Set Piece Specifics
Scrum.  8 man shove in attack and defence.  Keep straight in defence and hold, forcing Falcons to get the ball out and play.  In attack flankers to stay down and push, if we get forward momentum but penalty does not look likely, ball out quickly to attack them whilst on the back foot.
Lineout.  In attack mix it up shortening the lineout at times, using BV as a ball carrier through the midfield.  In defence look to contest and make any ball off the top as messy as possible.

General
- We won’t change too much from what has got the team here through the season, just the minor tweaks as per the above.
- Conor Murray to sweep behind the blitz along with the blindside winger for any chips, grubbers through from Falcons.

Last edited by Fluxy on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:56 am; edited 3 times in total

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Final Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Final

Post by Fluxy Mon 22 May 2017, 8:34 pm

Deadlines set as are. Conditions are 100% as well.

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 24 May 2017, 5:07 am

Mark

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 26 May 2017, 7:43 pm

Northampton Saints
Interim DoR: Ozzy3213

01. Mako Vunipola09. Conor Murray
02. Dylan Hartley ©10. Lima Sopoaga
03. Ramiro Herrera
04. Joe Launchbury      11. Julian Savea
05. Jonny Gray12. Wesley Fofana
06. Facundo Isa13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
07. Schalk Burger14. Elliott Daly
08. Billy Vunipola15. Leigh Halfpenny
Replacements
16. Schalk Brits 17.  Wyatt Crockett 18. Jake Cooper-Woolley 19. Paul Jedrasiak 20. David Pocock 21. Joe Simpson 22. George Ford 23. Manu Tuilagi

Northampton Saints name an unchanged side from their semi final win over Quins.  Interim DoR Ozzy3213 had this to say, "The boys played really well last week, and deserve another crack, so we're going with the same 23.  They've worked really hard in the short time I've been here and are really determined to get across the line.  Newcastle are a good side as they demonstrated against Sale and we will have to be at our best to win.  We'll have to see how much that win has taken out of them though."

Attributes
Breakdown - Clearing: Ensuring the possession is clean and quick with quick support to the breakdown
First phase attack/strike moves: Will look to break the defence, with either a bust through or a clever move to create a gap.
Blitz Defence: Your side is known for Blitz and excels at it
Breakdown - Turnover possession: Your side is recognised to pick off turnovers at the breakdown, by getting the ball and gaining the penalty.

Tactics
- Priority One – The Gain Line.  In attack and defence we will look to hit with intensity, be it carrying, clearing in attack or smashing back in defence.
- Priority Two – Make Falcons best attacking threats defend.  Use big carriers (forwards) slightly further out from the ruck area, down the channels defended by backs, forcing them to work hard in defence and thereby disrupting their attacking concentration/flow.

Set Piece Specifics
- Scrum.  8 man shove in attack and defence.  Keep straight in defence and hold, forcing Falcons to get the ball out and play.  In attack flankers to stay down and push, if we get forward momentum but penalty does not look likely, ball out quickly to attack them whilst on the back foot.
- Lineout.  In attack mix it up shortening the lineout at times, using BV as a ball carrier through the midfield.  In defence look to contest and make any ball off the top as messy as possible.

General
- We won’t change too much from what has got the team here through the season, just the minor tweaks as per the above.
- Conor Murray to sweep behind the blitz along with the blindside winger for any chips, grubbers through from Falcons.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 30 May 2017, 10:51 am

Aviva Premiership - Final 8 Newcastle Falcons
Manager – Bambam

01. Matt Mullan09. Rhys Webb 
02. Jamie George  10. Owen Farrell 
03. Vincent Koch
04. Guido Petti11. Charles Piutau
05. Lood De Jager12. Scott Williams
06. Pablo Matera13. Vince Aso
07. Francois Louw14. Denny Solomona
08. Kieran Read (c) 15. Ben Smith
:-
16. Camille Chat 17. Alec Hepburn 18. Davit Kubriashvili 19. Matt Symons 20. Elliott Dixon 21. Callum Clark 22. Will Chudley 23. Paddy Jackson

Attributes
Counter Attacking: Receiving the ball down field, your players will look to attack with ball in hand, thriving in the broken field and open spaces.
Phase Attack: Attacks build momentum until an opportunity arises.
Breakdown: Slowing up ball: The defenders can get over the ball to slow it up and prevent the attack from building momentum and allowing your defence to set.

Game plan

We want to go out there and front up to Saints physically, from 1-8 we back our pack to at least match their opposite number in the collisions and we want to dominate the breakdown with the quality in our back row

Target the lineout - with Lood/Read/Matera we have 3 top quality jumpers we can use from front to back, while Petti is an excellent front jumper - Read to call the line out and pick apart their throw, or make them go safe at the front where we will be ready to defend the ball

We're going after turnovers - Louw and Read to lead us here, see how much support the ageing Burger gets from the rest of his pack - 6-2 bench split means we've got two fresh flankers coming on to combat Pocock in the last 20 in this area

We're expecting Farrell to be the big game player - backing him to kick his goals and get in Sopoaga's face, test him in the heat of battle and hit him at every opportunity

Set piece - Look to really put their props under maximum pressure with our strong front row, we've got a great scrummaging lock pairing to help. If no weakness, use as restart. On their ball, mark their second rows and force long throws. On our ball, use the back row options to mix it up.

Breakdown - Back row and hooker to lead the way on turnovers. Others focus on strong clear outs and maintaining a strong defensive line. . On our ball, smash them off the ball, use pod system to ensure support if they are having success. Our openside is charged with keeping their main breakdown threat off our ball, and target turnovers if one of their carriers gets isolated

Kicking - Options throughout the backs . Kick in behind the wings for territory, aim for space not the man. Challenge wings positioning, Wings free to drop back for the counter off their kicks

Attack - Run our attack off 9 who sets the tempo, constantly change the point of attack and get our 10 quick ball.. Challenge their 10 defensively with our power backs cutting in running hard lines at his channel with the full back coming into the line. Big carrying forwards to set a platform, run at 10/12 all day long to put them on the back foot off first phase, see how they handle it.

Defence - no weak links in the backline, use the blitz defence to put them on the back foot,

Bench - Big carrying forwards throughout and talented, pacy backs to see us home

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Tue 30 May 2017, 11:30 am

Teams in, Predictions to me until midday Friday please OK Good luck lads

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:55 am

Aviva Premiership Final Result:

Newcastle Falcons - 28
(T: Farrell, Louw, Koch C: Farrell [x2] P: Farrell [x3])
Northampton Saints - 27
(T: B Vunipola, Daly C: Halfpenny [x1] P: Halfpenny [x5])

Prediction Bonuses:
Full: Pull, SJE, Fluxy, Prop, CJB, Steve, Pooly & Nick
Score: -
None: CJ, (Ozzy & Bam)

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:03 am

Newcastle Falcons 22 - 26 Northampton Saints
Class throughout both sides but I think Saints have slightly more in the back line and on the bench, which is enough to see them over the line.

Newcastle Falcons 22 - 25 Northampton Saints
Falcons looking to target the line out somewhat and will have some joy with Read in particular causing problems but between Daly & Halfpenny covering the backfield they won't often find the touchline in general play. Falcons backrow have a breakdown edge and even against a strong rucking side in Saints will pinch ball. Saints though with a very powerful side do edge the collisions and will get on the front foot more easily. Big ask throwing Aso in at 13 for the first time during the playoffs with changing partners and causes some defensive issues. Falcons do better attacking in the wider areas with the backrow all known to be better out there and some danger men on the wing. 6-2 forward split useful for Falcons with a big defensive effort needed. Although Saints have genuine game changing options that allow them to change their game up more late on. Similar feel to the Scarlets/Munster game somewhat for me. See Falcons very dangerous attacking off scraps and causing issues at the breakdown but feel Saints can target the 13-14 channel in particular and are more capable of getting on the front foot and building momentum

Newcastle Falcons 28 - 26 Northampton Saints
Can't see a lot between the two front fives and both will do ok with their own lineout ball. Back row will be a great battle and I can just see Falcons nicking something here with Matera doing the dog work. At the moment think the Falcons half backs have an edge and will release their centres. Aso is on fire at the moment so helps Falcons here. Quite similar form out wide for both teams. Solid impact benches. Saints looking to get over the gain line, feel Falcons can stop their momentum here and just have enough to take a great victory.

Newcastle Falcons 28 - 26 Northampton Saints
Northampton have the stronger front row here. One each in the second row but prefer the Newcastle combination. Very close in the back rows but believe Newcastle once again have the edge. One each in the half backs. Outside of that I prefer the Northampton backs.

Newcastle Falcons 26 - 25 Northampton Saints

Sides
Upfront there is more international quality for the Saints trio but form is with the Newcastle three. All will impact the game in the loose with Mako being the stand out carrier. In the second row you have two brilliant pairings. They both offer work rate and mobility around the field as well as a set piece presence. Launchbury has been in excellent form of late but he and Gray lack a little physicality compared to the Falcons pairing. Two frighteningly physical back rows on display with ball carriers all around. I really like Matera and Isa and in Billy and Read the world's premier number 8s have a showdown. 

As pairings, Falcons are the stronger half backs with Sopoaga, in my view, not of the quality of the other starting halves. Murray and Farrell offer the best the northern hemisphere has to offer at half back and are both men who can stand up to the pressure of finals rugby. Webb and Sopoaga the jury is still out on in my view at the very highest level. Both back lines weakness stands at 13 in my eyes. AAC is not the player he was, certainly not as a centre whilst Aso is raw talent. Fofana at 12 is a strength for Saints despite hie recent injury, as he helps both Sopoaga and AAC through the game. I'd have to side with the experienced Saints duo though. In terms of back threes, there is a clear and obvious running threat from both sides, though probably more from Falcons with Halfpenny offering control and goal kicking more than anything else. Solamona is a lethal finisher though will certainly be tested as a defender and positioning wise and Daly is best at 13 in my view. Ben Smith is the worlds best full back and I expect him to show his class throughout the game.

Both sides lack the sort of game changing quality to come off the bench and really make the difference. I think the quality of the game will suffer as the benches are unloaded.  

Set Piece/Breakdown/Tactics
Both sides defensive attributes fit their side well in my view, with Saints attacking attributes (I know these aren't due to Pete) a little puzzling in my eyes. Both sides will nick turnovers and penalties due to the quality of player on show but I don't really see a dominance for either side at the breakdown throughout the game. I can't see any side particularly dominating the set piece either, with no genuinely world class scrumagers or line out operators on the field and able to make that difference in a final. Can't see any dominance for either side there. 

Scoring
The high quality of the goal kickers of show will mean any indiscipline (from within 60m in Newcastle's case) will be punished by the opposition goal kickers. Outside of that, the tries seem to me most likely to come from the back row or the back three's on show. Both sides will score tries as there is too much attacking talent on show for that not to happen. 

Conclusion  
A mighty tough decision. My instinct tells me that Webb and Farrell will control the game the better and will give Newcastle more territory. This will be the contributing factor to their win.

Newcastle Falcons 29 - 27 Northampton Saints
Both LH's can be got at and I'm seeing little in the scrum contest and work around the park. Can see Falcons getting a lot of joy in the lineout and they rightly target it. I think Falcons have a slight edge in the back 5, more balance and they again have the form in the halfbacks to really get at Saints. Both centre partnerships not the greatest in the league, Falcons really nearly to improve here although are sound defensively and have the slightly better back 3. I feel Falcons 6/2 split just works and with Pocock very hard to rate, being the deciding point in such a close game. Can't believe Falcons have done this!

Newcastle Falcons 27 - 22 Northampton Saints
Close upfront perhaps a scrum edge to saints. Rest of packs are even, great balance to falcons backrow. Webb and farrell are key here and make a huge difference. Faz experience enables backlkne to get involved and they are so dangerous.

Newcastle Falcons 27 - 25 Northampton Saints
Very close contest in the tight, with some big anchors to set the scrum. Lineout is relatively even as well, although for me Falcons edge it slightly. Good carrying aspects from both sets of forwards. Sets of halfbacks are class as well, with Murray offering that physicality of his, and if he brings the speed as well, he threatens even more. Otherwise for me Webb is quicker off the base. There is X-factor in both back lines, although Halfpenny has turned a corner lately, there is a greater counter attacking threat from Falcons for me. This allows them to get at the Saints defence a little more. Close game, but the momentum of the above and the boot of Farrell sees Falcons through to a massive win and the trophy!

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:03 am

Congratulations Bam clap Ale

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:08 am

Yahoo

Hard luck Pete

No idea how I won the semi against Sale, but I'll take this!!!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:33 am

No idea how you've managed that, first time ever the top 2 haven't won the title.

Congratulations anyway, some achievement for the game clap

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon 05 Jun 2017, 8:56 pm

Congrats bam
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content