The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The unfairly cancelled TV show thread.

+24
calamity jane
Kaiser
Dx Dan.
asdral225
Gregers
Pal Joey
The Galveston Giant
easthfc
Bull
Draigoch
TipToes88
Pr4wn
pauline1981
Fernando
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
Thomond
ADMIN
AquaArab
Cari
AberdeenSteve
hornbloweroafc
Crimey
CFCNick
Adam D
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The unfairly cancelled TV show thread. Empty The unfairly cancelled TV show thread.

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

This thread is dedicated to the shows that were simply awesome but no one watched.

You know the ones - you bought the box set and none of your friends have ever heard of it!

So my nomination as the greatest show to be unfairly axed is below.

If you havent seen it, try and pick up the box set in the HMV sale or tune in to the Horror Zone every evening where they are repeating it quite often.

MILLENNIUM

The story of Frank Black (Lance Henrikson) who plays a former FBI profiler who has had a breakdown and is now returning to help out in special cases. He has the ability to see flashes of the crime and is often involved in fantastical plots involving religious overtones and demons. The show is the dark offspring of Chris Carter (the man behind the X Files) and is way better.

The acting and series arcs are incredible, as the seasons lurch towards the millennium and potential armegeddon of the world.

Frank is recruited to a shadowy agency that consults and helps the FBI in cases. As the seasons continue, they are revealed to be evil and the bringers of the foretold apocalypse.

If you havent seen it, it really is an incredible piece of work. There are 66 episodes over 3 seasons - if you get the chance to watch the first few, you will be hooked.

So what are your thoughts on the show and what are your other favorites that got unfairly axed?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The unfairly cancelled TV show thread. Empty Re: The unfairly cancelled TV show thread.

Post by CFCNick Tue 07 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

Veronica Mars
Was realy angry when this got cancelled.

Ran from 2004-07 on The CW in the US. Used to be on E4 here and every now and then they show every episode daily.

The series is set in the fictional town of Neptune, California, and stars Kristen Bell as the title character, a student who progresses from high school to college while moonlighting as a private investigator under the tutelage of her detective father. In each episode, Veronica solves a different stand-alone case while working to solve a more complex mystery. The first two seasons of the series each had a season-long mystery arc, introduced in the first episode of the season and solved in the season finale. The third season took a different format, focusing on smaller mystery arcs that would last the course of several episodes.

Friday Night Lights
Ran for 5 seasons on NBC from October 2006 to February 2011.

Friday Night Lights is an American television series adapted by Peter Berg, Brian Grazer and David Nevins from a book and film of the same name. During the first three seasons, the series details events surrounding the Dillon Panthers, a high school football team based in fictional Dillon, Texas, with particular focus given to team coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler) and his family. In the fourth season, Taylor becomes coach of the Lions at East Dillon High School, set in the poorer side of Dillon with a larger African American population. The show uses this small-town backdrop to address many issues facing contemporary Middle America, including school funding, racism, drugs, abortion, and lack of economic opportunities

Other shows I'm still upset about being cancelled
Heroes
The OC
Shark

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

The unfairly cancelled TV show thread. Empty Re: The unfairly cancelled TV show thread.

Post by Crimey Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:19 pm

Manning, you probably won't find a bigger Heroes fan than me; I have all the DVDs, and was obsessed with it. However, you cannot deny that the show went seriously downhill after the first series, there were so many times it looked like it could pick up again only for the writers to let us down again. I still think what things could have been if they had done if there wasn't the writer's strike halfway through the second series!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Wed 08 Jun 2011, 7:12 am

Flashforward - I thought it was really good.

Invasion - It was about a small town recovering after an hurricane and some kind of water creatures taking over bodies. Had one sereies and ended on a cliffhanger. THere was no indication it had eneded, was gutted.

More recently, The Event looks like its been cancelled after what I thought was a entertaining, interesting first full series. This also ended with a second series in mind.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 Jun 2011, 8:10 am

In my OP I mentioned MILLENNIUM.

The second season ended on a huge cliffhanger/ shock as the producers were sure they were to be cancelled.

They then got a 3rd series and had to find some way out of the hole they dug!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 08 Jun 2011, 8:15 am

Manning, I am agreeing with InvincibleLeak on this one. I'm a huge Heroes fan and I absolutely loved the first series but anything after that just seemed to disappoint me. Like mentioned above there were several opportunities for the writers to blow us away but they failed to. The story just became rather unbelievable. Sylar was an absolute legend though, loved that character.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

The writers realised that Sylar was the best thing they had, and for the fourth and fifth seasons he carried the show through. I just can't understand how the writers didn't manage to just pick it up though, it had a loyal fan base who weren't going away from it, yet it just got worse. I could think of even up until the start of the fifth season where they could have brought it back up to the first series standards or even better but instead they would do something idiotic.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

St Elsewhere - this was an 1980s US drama set in a teaching hospital. It was very cutting edge for its time, very witty with some great in-jokes and puns. It also featured people who became famous actors including Denzel Washington - but no one seems to remember it. It's very occasionally repeated on Channel 4 and available on their iPlayer though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Elsewhere

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by AquaArab Wed 08 Jun 2011, 12:03 pm

I used to watch American Gothic years ago which was cut half way through the first season. Also gutted firefly was axed as it was a great series as well. Not a huge Sci Fi fan but this series was really good entertainment. Also the only other Sci FI series I have ever watched has just been cut Stargate Universe. I have come to a conclusion that I am in fact a jinx to Sci Fi and I appologise to all fans of these wonderfull programmes.

I'm so very sorry. I promise to stop watching Sci FI and then your programmes will not be axed.

AquaArab

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 08 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

My Name is Earl I enjoyed and it was a shame when that bit the bullet.

Interceptor. A programme from the early 90's that was a bit like Treasure Hunt but miles better.

Wanted. A programme where someone stands in a telephone box for an hour but was brilliant.

Time Commanders. Basically the computer game Roman Total War but on the telly.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:04 pm

I forgot that My Name is Earl was cancelled! That's tragic, it was criminally underrated.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

Hero wrote:My Name is Earl I enjoyed and it was a shame when that bit the bullet.

Interceptor. A programme from the early 90's that was a bit like Treasure Hunt but miles better.

Time Commanders. Basically the computer game Roman Total War but on the telly.

I loved all 3 of the shows. Especially Interceptor - loved how he talked to his cameraman "mikey".

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:09 pm

Arrested Development. End of discussion.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:51 pm

hornbloweroafc wrote:Flashforward - I thought it was really good.

Invasion - It was about a small town recovering after an hurricane and some kind of water creatures taking over bodies. Had one sereies and ended on a cliffhanger. THere was no indication it had eneded, was gutted.

More recently, The Event looks like its been cancelled after what I thought was a entertaining, interesting first full series. This also ended with a second series in mind.

Flashforward is one of mine. I thought it was brilliant.

And Pulling - the Sharon Horgan sitcom, was one of the best BBC3 comedies ever made - yet got cancelled after 2 series (winning a BAFTA after being cancelled). Even though Two Pints of Lager and a packet of crisps goes on and on and on, despite using the same jokes since 1903

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:33 pm

The Salon - It was the only reality TV programme I liked and was shown about ten years ago. It was quite amusing and it was on before the whole reality thing went mad so you didn't have the people on it trying to become celebrities themselves.

My So Called Life - US 1990s teen-drama with Jared Leto before his band went to Mars...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

interceptor is shown on challenge tv every now and again hero OK

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:21 pm

the peep show its lol

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:31 pm

Has Peep Show been cancelled?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

I only watched the first half of The Event and got bored and never returned for the second half. Did it improve much?

And No Ordinary Family was a good show I thought, was a family tv show that had a good mix of humour and drama.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

I was the same as Churchill with The Event. It started promisingly, but I got bored towards the end and didn't bother watching it again when it came back. I was dissapointed as I thought it had a strong start.

Peep Show hasn't been cancelled btw, it's been renewed for two more series at least.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

If there's one thing about Peep Show, it's that it's lol.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:38 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Has Peep Show been cancelled?

No it can't be, they had a new series not so long back.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

Yeah, it hasn't. It's been renewed for at least two more seasons. Great news.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

I can't believe I'm the only one to mention Friday Night Lights. It's probably the best show ever!
It's about High School Football in Texas, the Dillon Panthers, and Coach Eric Taylor. They lose their starting QB Jason Street in game one and go on to win state with 2nd string Matt Saracen.

Tim Riggins and Smash Williams were my favourite characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW9tkofihBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJZyNkw_q3A

After season 3 Coach Taylor gets sacked and takes the coaching job at rivals East Dillon Lions, who have nothing, no field, team, or investors, and they win state in at the end of the final season, season 5, with QB Vince Howard and TE Luke Cafferty the main players, it is revealed that it is also East Dillon's final season as a team and all the best players from the Panthers and Lions will be a "Super Team" representing the town as the Dillon Panthers. Coach Taylor is offered the job as a chance to win 3 state titles in 4 season but turns it down goes into College Football in Pennsylvania where his wife is Dean of Admissions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxTgebdi8lo&feature=related

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU BUY OR DOWNLOAD THIS SHOW

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

i hlonestly thought peep show was cancelled. great news its not

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

Meh,I didn't think Friday night lights was that good. The book is decent enough anyway. Bear in mind I have only watched one or two episodes.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

Outcasts - felt that it had some promise and the cliffhanger ending kinda ruined it

(maybe) Walking Dead - I've been hearing that their not making another one (not confirmed) and that would be a total waste

And if its possible to include what hasn't even been made yet, the now unavoidable scrapping of the Dark Tower TV series to accompany the (also nearly flatlined) movies Sad

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:17 pm

Walking Dead is returning in the Autumn it seems: http://www.denofgeek.com/television/935262/first_look_at_the_walking_dead_season_2.html

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

The Walking Dead was a huge hit for the network (ABC?) - definitely coming back.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:48 pm

AMC, Hobo. Never any doubt that it was coming back. No one in here watches arrested development? I'm shocked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280yPTyei0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIpPqcln6Y&feature=related

Last edited by Thomond on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to add the Analrapist clip.)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:50 pm

13 episodes for the 2nd season, starting in October in the States (so probably aired here a couple of days later).

On that note why does True Blood still air here 6 months after the States whilst all the others happen a few days after nowadays?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm

yeah I used to watched in on BBC3 at like 4 in the morning after a night out. Never followed it up but its a great show, my pal put it on a usb that i'd forgotten about.

Glad to hear WD is coming back, everyone said it got boring towards the end but I thought it got better and better. Really want to find out what happened to the guy from Snatch. Anyone else remeber the main character (can't remember names) as the E-d up pillmonster who caught Simms wanking in Human traffic? pulls off the accent well in WD I thought, deffo better than Yanks doing a brit accent

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:25 pm

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

100% Thomod, 100%.

STEVE HOLT!

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm

cant wait for the walking dead season 2 so many plot holes , was a major hit

Last edited by TheBrahmaBull on Fri 01 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Fri 01 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

I used to watch a show called Now and Again. Great show but only ran for 1 season.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 01 Jul 2011, 3:16 pm

Nice thread, haven't seen it before, not managed to read through yet but two off the top of my head are Persons Unknown and Reaper.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 01 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

Ben Elton had a new show on here earlier in the year - The Ben Elton Show. It was pretty cringeworthy mostly but was a brave effort I thought with some classic skits and improvisations.

People panned it heavily and it was dropped after only 3 weeks.

In the meantime this other new show called 'Angry Boys' (multiple characters played by Chris Lilley who was better in We Can Be Heroes and Summer Heights High) - is so awful. Some swearing is OK but his new show is so full of it, it completely falls flat and is hardly funny to listen to.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 01 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

I agree on Angry Boys, it's just not funny.

I thought it was slightly unfair to cancel Campus, I thought the humour, while strange, was very funny. I think it's biggest mistake was marketing it as a realistic sitcom in the same style as The Office, rather than the wacky humour.

It's viewing figures were fairly low, but you have to give a show time to build up a viewing base.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 01 Jul 2011, 6:23 pm

For me the two that spring to mind are Heroes and Dirty Sexy Money.

Heroes - 4 seasons in, director said 1 more season and had already filmed most of it. Left on a stupidly good cliffhanger

DSM - Left on a huge cliffhanger at the end of season 2

WHY?!

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 01 Jul 2011, 6:45 pm

Draigoch wrote:ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

100% Thomod, 100%.

STEVE HOLT!

Oh my God we;re having a fire....sale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280yPTyei0U

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

I always thought Dead Like Me was good fun, I'm not too sure it may have run for two series
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat 02 Jul 2011, 1:50 pm

I'd like to add Life Unexpected. I really liked it and was quite disappointed when it wasn't renewed for a 3rd season.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Dx Dan. Thu 07 Jul 2011, 9:07 pm

My Name is Earl for sure, it ended on a stupidly annoying cliffhanger.

Dx Dan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Thu 07 Jul 2011, 10:48 pm

Jericho - shocking booking for this to get cancelled at least they continued in the comics

Reaper - again should never have been cancelled such a good show

Also flash forward - had a lot going for it

Kaiser

Back to top Go down

Post by calamity jane Fri 08 Jul 2011, 1:47 am

asdral225 wrote:I always thought Dead Like Me was good fun, I'm not too sure it may have run for two series

One of my favourites too, and yep, it only ran for two series (got both on DVD). A real shame it ended. There was talk of a movie, but nothing came of it.

Has The Chicago Code been shown in the UK? I loved it, but it's been cancelled after only one series. Written by the same team who wrote The Shield, and (IMO) was the best cop show on TV.

calamity jane

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mac 6CW Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

The Chicago Code has nearly finished it's UK stint on Sky. It started amongst a huge fanfare and lot's of advertising even though it had already been cancelled in the U.S. I think it suffered because it was by the same people that made the Shield as expectations were too high

I agree with most of the comments already:
Heroes started awesome and just lost it's way simple as
Flashforward had already been cancelled before it started to show signs of promise unfortunately as I was really starting to get into it when it finished

Another series that started with a big promise
The Event tried to hard to fill the void of Lost , too many twists and turns too soon so viewers struggled to keep up

I have high hopes for Alphas on SyFy to replace the gap after Heroes & No ordinary family
Falling skies looks good
The Killing already has had 2 series in Denmark with a third in production so I expect there to be more of them from ABC

Game of Thrones is awesome although the first series took 4 years to make so god only knows when series 2 will be ready
And with Dr Who still to look forward to and Torchwood starting this week the future looks rosy for all us Sci Fi 'geeks' out there

Paul Mac 6CW
6CW Creative

Location : Born in Surrey, live near Sunderland and work in London

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 13 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

Lex, Heroes season 4 was probably the best of all the seasons tho.

Apparently a film or a series of films is on its way tho.

Alphas? Havnt seen the trailers for that yet. What's it about?

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mac 6CW Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphas

Not arrived in the UK yet but reviews in the US are very good

I think the first series of Heroes is still the best and would have liked that story arc to have been drawn out over a few series' as , as good as Sylar's character was in the last couple of series he was always at his best when super evil

A film would be interesting but it could be similar to an X men storyline with humans against mutants

Paul Mac 6CW
6CW Creative

Location : Born in Surrey, live near Sunderland and work in London

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:50 pm

Lex, Heroes season 4 was probably the best of all the seasons tho.

You seem to have mispelt worse. The first season was clearly the best.

If you mean the fourth season being the one that was all about Sylar, as much as I loved the character, it was clear that they had run out of ideas and were relying on Sylar to carry them through it.

If you mean the fourth season being the Circus one, then you must have been watching something different to me as it was awful compared to the rest of Heroes.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

I really liked The Chicago Code and was just getting into the characters , same with the Event .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next