The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Wells Fargo Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

+9
McLaren
Davie
Shotrock
MontysMerkin
super_realist
pedro
raycastleunited
GPB
kwinigolfer
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Wells Fargo Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Wells Fargo Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 May 2017, 6:33 pm

1).The Wells Fargo Championship usually means a trip to Charlotte, North Carolina, and the most excellent Quail Hollow Club, but the PGA Championship will be played there in the August heat, so the bankers at Wells Fargo are driving their stagecoach across the State to Wilmington, and the highly regarded, Tom Fazio-designed Eagle Point Golf Club. It's a Par-72, partly abutting the Intracoastal Waterway, and close to the Atlantic. For most of the field it'll be a course they haven't seen before, but it's nearly twenty years old and you'd imagine many of the local (North & South Carolina) pros have played there, and Carl Pettersson has the course record.

2).Until the age of 30, I had no idea Wells Fargo was a bank, thought it was just a black-and-white TV Western, starring Dale Robertson. Now I know better what with Wells Fargo being a poster child for scumbag practices that make you wonder why most of its 286,000 employees are not serving time. As it is, white collar crime pays and good riddance to their customers. But at least they run a good golf tournament.

3).Before we look in more detail, let's cast a butcher's at last week's "Zurich Classic of New Orleans".
I was lukewarm about the Team concept, doubted the quality of the field and wondered how the format would be embraced and show on TV.
Wrong on all counts, and the play that I watched couldn't have been much more entertaining. Hopefully more elite players will turn up next year, and maybe CBS's Jim Nantz will condescend to appear. Well done to Zurich.

4).Jonas Blixt and Cameron Smith played 76 holes without a bogey, coincidentally 43 years after Trevino became (and still is) the only player to win a PGA Tournament without a bogey on his card. (Others have gone bogeyless and not won, Charlie Howell recently at the Greenbrier for one.) Smith first entered the consciousness of Tour followers in autumn 2014 when he finished 5th in his first Tour event, the CIMB in Malaysia, followed that up with a 4th place at the Chambers Bay US Open, then was a close runner up to Spieth at the Aussie Open.

5).With all the hoopla about the 23-y-o's on Tour, Smith has pretty much stayed off the radar but there's little doubt the latest Baby-faced assassin is the real thing, a star of the future, if not present.
A down side to his share of the win is that he won't be credited with OWGR points; in fact he dropped two places in the rankings (and Blixt dipped four places), but one trusts that Nick Price was keeping his eye on someone who might not make his Presidents Cup Team on points, but should be in serious consideration for a wild card.

6).The Internationals currently in the qualifying places for Nick's Team are:
Day, Matsuyama, Scott, Schwartzel, Grace, Leishman, Oosthuizen, Grillo, Hadwin, Ikeda. If that status remained quo, I'd think Ben An and Cam Smith would be strong candidates to fill out the team.

7).The US Rankings look like this:
Dustin Johnson, Thomas, Spieth, Fowler, Kisner, Chappell, Berger, Koepka, Snedeker, Moore.
Last year's Ryder Cup winners not currently in the top ten are:
Reed (11th), Mickelson (14th), Kuchar (15th), Walker (19th), Holmes (29th), Zach Johnson (44th).

8).And: Who'd've thought when Jason Day strode into the winners enclosure at last year's Players Championship that the next five Aussies winners would be: Baddeley, Chalmers, Pampling, Leishman, Smith. Adam Scott? Who's he??
NB: Thinking cap firmly on to figure out the last five British Tour winners: mmmmm: McIlroy, Knox, Willett, McDowell, Rose perhaps? Dunno, but can't think of any others in the past three years.

9).Back to The Players next week and TPC Sawgrass's action will be followed on Tour by:
~Byron Nelson
~Colonial
~Memorial
~Memphis
~US Open
~Travelers.

10).And so to the Wells Fargo Classic, in Wilmington, NC. Also known as the ancestral home of Michael Jordan and close by some wonderful beaches.
There's a middling strength of field, highlighted by the return from injury of Dustin Johnson, a relatively local lad who's most likely played the course in College golf if nothing else. Adam Scott is here, Phil, Jon Rahm, Oosthuizen, Casey and Carolina boys including Bill Haas, Webb Simpson, Kisner & Wes Bryan.
EDIT: Oosthuizen is a non-runner.

One ironic aspect of last week's action is that Kelly Kraft and Grayson Murray each had their best finishes since their moronic tweets about Asian and European Tour members fast-tracking it up the OWGR's to qualify for WGC's. Too bad your excellent work last week was unrewarded by OWGR points then lads.
I like Wes Bryan and Bill Haas among the field this week but could be persuaded that Grayson Murray, another Carolina lad, might be good each way value - he was very streaky in breaking through last year, despite a dental deficiency, so maybe he'll go on a run. Then go straight to his dentist.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 03 May 2017, 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Wells Fargo Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Wells Fargo Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Tue 02 May 2017, 8:41 pm

Are Rory and GMac considered British?

Re: Murray and Kraft. Geeez, you can't let it go, can you?

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Wells Fargo Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Wells Fargo Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by raycastleunited Tue 02 May 2017, 9:37 pm

GPB wrote:Are Rory and GMac considered British?

Re: Murray and Kraft.  Geeez, you can't let it go, can you?

Lol. We've not had the UK v Britain v Ireland debate for a while. The answer has something to do with potato consumption if I remember rightly.

Kelly and Grayson are fair game. One of them has a girls name and the other is named after the turner prize winning transvestite potter. Nuff said.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 02 May 2017, 9:47 pm

Got to admit, the UK vs Brit thing really confuses me

The last time it was explained to me, is that Northern Ireland is part of the U.K. but not consider Brits.

I really think Brits consider Northern Irish as Brits when it benefits them, but as persona non grata when it doesn't. Very Happy

I know Brits get their knickers in a knot when a certain golf tournament is called the "British Open", and one Brit has cite the future tournament venue in 2019 (and 1951) at Royal Portrush as evidence that it is not "British".

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 02 May 2017, 10:01 pm

We call it the Open Championship because that's its name, in the same way we all refer to the Masters Tournament. If I started talking about the American Masters it would sound strange to you, well the British Open sounds strange too!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 May 2017, 10:04 pm

Seems like Webb Simpson is a member at Eagle Point; also sounds as if Bill Haas has plenty of experience there. Imagine there must be one or two others also; the place seems highly regarded so looking forward to seeing it on the box.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 02 May 2017, 10:07 pm

This Venn diagram is helpful:
https://goo.gl/images/04m27T

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 02 May 2017, 10:14 pm

Good write up as always kwini.

I'd expect Jason Day to suffer an injury and withdraw from the Pres Cup, in the same way Ryan Giggs always suffered a minor injury as soon as you uttered the phrase "international friendly".

If I was US captain I'd want Reed and Zachary involved.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 May 2017, 10:23 pm

Cheers ray,
It would be interesting to see one of those diagrams for the United States . . . . . . . . .

Jason Day played as if he was suffering from every single one of his multiple ailments last Presidents Cup, Price wouldn't want to see that sort of performance again.

Agree on Top Five and Zack. Though not sure what's going on with Johnson so far this year; he's been way below his best. He usually plays very well at The Players & Colonial - if he fluffs his lines there, you might think he's mentally sitting this year out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 May 2017, 10:30 pm

Here's what Webb Simpson has to say about Eagle Point. Promise not to titter:

http://www.pgatour.com/long-form/2017/05/02/webb-simpson-eagle-point-club-wells-fargo-championship.html

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 02 May 2017, 11:05 pm

Zach and Reed are basically the only Americans with positive Ryder Cup records. Don't know about their PC record, but would want them on my team only because of that.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 02 May 2017, 11:54 pm

raycastleunited wrote:We call it the Open Championship because that's its name, in the same way we all refer to the Masters Tournament. If I started talking about the American Masters it would sound strange to you, well the British Open sounds strange too!

William Shakespeare wrote:that which we call a rose, By any other name would smell as sweet

You can call it the Augusta National Invitational Tournament. I am for stopping pretentious names. Especially when the Open is really not all that "Open" anymore. I think the US Open is far more OPEN than the Open Championship.

That said, the Open does have a better field than the US Open.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 03 May 2017, 11:51 am

GPB wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:We call it the Open Championship because that's its name, in the same way we all refer to the Masters Tournament. If I started talking about the American Masters it would sound strange to you, well the British Open sounds strange too!

William Shakespeare wrote:that which we call a rose, By any other name would smell as sweet

You can call it the Augusta National Invitational Tournament.  I am for stopping pretentious names.  Especially when the Open is really not all that "Open" anymore.  I think the US Open is far more OPEN than the Open Championship.

That said, the Open does have a better field than the US Open.

I'll bear that in mind next time the likes of Webb, Boo, Tiger, Smylie, Keegan etc come up in conversation.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 03 May 2017, 12:50 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Here's what Webb Simpson has to say about Eagle Point. Promise not to titter:

http://www.pgatour.com/long-form/2017/05/02/webb-simpson-eagle-point-club-wells-fargo-championship.html

Thank you for sharing that kwini. I was starting to get bored reading the total lack of insight, sample quote:

"If I were to characterize the club as a whole, it’s a golf club"

But then I remembered the book of job and James 1, the idea of being patient in suffering, and I felt a lot better.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 May 2017, 2:44 pm

ray,
If you really want a cringe-inducing, golf-related, holier-than-thou fairy tale, take a butcher's at this, especially from about halfway through:

http://www.pgatour.com/18-things/2016/11/22/18-things-about-blayne-barber.html

Astonishing really.

The weather this week in Wilmington should be sunnyish and mostly dry, but could get quite windy. As mentioned elsewhere, it could just be a good place for Shane Lowry (polar opposite to B.Barber I imagine) to find his form.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 03 May 2017, 3:06 pm

I don't know what is pretentious about "Webb" "Boo" and "Tiger", but if you think it is, who am I to argue other than they are just names or nicknames.

The Barber article is nearly 6 months old. Jeez, Kwini, can't you let things go?

You Brits tend to get your knickers in a knot over the most innocuous things.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 03 May 2017, 3:09 pm

153 players are qualified for THE PLAYERS at this time

As of last weeks rankings,

81 of the Top 100 are in the Players field
117 of the Top 200
140 of the Top 300
7 more from 301 to 400

Ben Crane (#421), David Toms (#422), Mark Hubbard (#523), Tiger Woods (#821), Bernhard Langer (#1031), and Matt Every (#1152) round out the exempt players.

I think Ollie Schniederjans is the first alternate, but 10 players have to WD before Ollie gets an invite.

Tiger is an obvious no-show, but I know of any others that are not going to play. Perhaps Yuta Ikeda as qualified Japan PGA Tour players sometimes do not make the trip.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 03 May 2017, 3:12 pm

GPB wrote:I don't know what is pretentious about "Webb" "Boo" and "Tiger", but if you think it is, who am I to argue other than they are just names or nicknames.

It's a form of reverse snobbery. When your life is so Poopie you have to take the mickey out of foreign millionaires. Bless.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 May 2017, 3:33 pm

Peter Oosterhuis turns 69 today, a forgotten man of British sport - perhaps even by himself by now. Anyone hear how he's doing?

His TV persona was not to everyone's liking, but I miss his combination of knowledge and common sense commentary.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 03 May 2017, 3:34 pm

Monty - thumbsup

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 03 May 2017, 3:55 pm

IIRC, There was pro-am fundraiser for alziemhers research held in Charlotte on Monday with many tour pros and CBS personnel.

I think Jim Nantz was there over the weekend on some "meet and greets" and that is why he did not "condescend" to broadcast the Zurich

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 May 2017, 4:10 pm

Tks GPB, Didn't know that; (presumably Nantz was there the previous weekend as well? McAtee was terrible this past week, scarcely improved in 36 years.)

Some interesting takes on the interminable LPGA Play Off, Cristie Kerr even apologizing for her slow play!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 03 May 2017, 4:35 pm

Presumably, Nantz has some off-weeks written into his contract.

You do realize that he has other obligations besides golf.

He does NFL football, and NCAA basketball

Between NFL, NCAA and Golf, Nantz would be working nearly every weekend of the year.

Last edited by GPB on Wed 03 May 2017, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 03 May 2017, 4:46 pm

Met Jim Nantz in the oddest of circumstances a few years back ... Went to a black tie affair at a very small but tony golf club in the Philadelphia area. As usual, I was having trouble tying my bow tie. So, right from the car I darted into the men's locker room (very small locker room) and there was Jim Nance and Dan Hicks. Just us three. They both kidded me about my troubles but said they could offer no assistance!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 03 May 2017, 5:19 pm

I have to ask... what's a tony golf club?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 03 May 2017, 5:26 pm

Well, at least for this area ... understated, somewhat exclusive (I am not a member).

Gulph Mills GC is the course. Really great track.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 May 2017, 5:27 pm

Shotrock wrote:Met Jim Nantz in the oddest of circumstances a few years back ... Went to a black tie affair at a very small but tony golf club in the Philadelphia area. As usual, I was having trouble tying my bow tie. So, right from the car I darted into the men's locker room (very small locker room) and there was Jim Nance and Dan Hicks. Just us three. They both kidded me about my troubles but said they could offer no assistance!

Pity Lyle Bosley wasn't there to help you all out . . . . . .

Always think Nantz blurs the line on his commentary/endorsements (political & commercial) these days. Much prefer Dan Hicks.

GPB,
Wasn't born yesterday, but also don't think CBS should be labelling tournaments as third class by sending their B or C Team - they should pension off half their squad and introduce some young blood, as should NBC.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 03 May 2017, 5:31 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:ray,
If you really want a cringe-inducing, golf-related, holier-than-thou fairy tale, take a butcher's at this, especially from about halfway through:

Astonishing really.

Sounds like it's been written by a brain washed zombie, not very sincere, just a front. When Blayne is away on tour I bet his wife hosts wild drug fuelled orgies.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 03 May 2017, 5:40 pm

Kwin - And if I had a hairpiece, Lyle could have helped me with that!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 03 May 2017, 7:21 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

Astonishing really.

Sounds like it's been written by a brain washed zombie, not very sincere, just a front. When Blayne is away on tour I bet his wife hosts wild drug fuelled orgies.
Wow. I'm shocked! Shocked
What a wacko.
Super, this is candy for you..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 03 May 2017, 8:11 pm

I feel sick after reading that

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 03 May 2017, 11:58 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:GPB,
Wasn't born yesterday, but also don't think CBS should be labelling tournaments as third class by sending their B or C Team - they should pension off half their squad and introduce some young blood, as should NBC.

Then why don't you just say that instead of cryptically make sideswipes on why announcers are at the tournament.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 03 May 2017, 11:58 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:GPB,

Then why don't you just say that instead of cryptically make sideswipes on why announcers are at the tournament.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 May 2017, 12:33 am

Which part; there are two halves to my snark?

By the way, hope you're still keeping out of high water. And tell most of yr elected reps that perhaps it might be related to climate change. And tell the rest of their moronic colleagues.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 May 2017, 1:58 am

GPB wrote:153 players are qualified for THE PLAYERS at this time

As of last weeks rankings,

81 of the Top 100 are in the Players field
117 of the Top 200
140 of the Top 300
7 more from 301 to 400

Ben Crane (#421), David Toms (#422), Mark Hubbard (#523), Tiger Woods (#821), Bernhard Langer (#1031), and Matt Every (#1152) round out the exempt players.

I think Ollie Schniederjans is the first alternate, but 10 players have to WD before Ollie gets an invite.

Tiger is an obvious no-show, but I know of any others that are not going to play.  Perhaps Yuta Ikeda as qualified Japan PGA Tour players sometimes do not make the trip.

Another no-show will be Sneeedeker, fit apparently to wave the Ryder Cup at adoring Nashville ice-hockey fans this week, but with a wrist sore enough for him to sit out The Players. Currently he's still signed up for the Byron Nelson, but we'll have to see about that.

Next . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 04 May 2017, 3:54 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Which part; there are two halves to my snark?

By the way, hope you're still keeping out of high water. And tell most of yr elected reps that perhaps it might be related to climate change. And tell the rest of their moronic colleagues.

I am still high and dry, although it quite serious in places around me. I mowed my yard yesterday.

Keep on those conspiracies, Oliver Stone!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 May 2017, 12:03 pm

pedro wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

Astonishing really.

Wow. I'm shocked! Shocked
What a wacko.

Very much an American disease. Europe grew out of that a long time ago by and large.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 May 2017, 12:31 pm

super_realist wrote:
pedro wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

Astonishing really.

Wow. I'm shocked! :shock:
What a wacko.

Very much an American disease. Europe grew out of that a long time ago by and large.

What.. The model plane building thing?

I certainly haven't grown out of that and I am European.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 04 May 2017, 12:57 pm

McLaren wrote:
I certainly haven't grown out of that and I am European.

Not for much longer

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 May 2017, 1:15 pm

Play underway at the Wells Fargo, looks like perfect conditions to start with, but possibility of rain later on, and even more likely on Friday.

TV coverage scheduled for 2.00 p.m. EDT, 7.00 p.m. for Mac (unless he's in Europe, in which case perhaps 8.00 p.m.).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 04 May 2017, 2:04 pm

Doh
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 May 2017, 2:28 pm

Joint leader early on: Hunter Mahan. Would like to see him play as well for the next 65 holes, would be good to have him back.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 May 2017, 5:40 pm

Being a member at Eagle Point hasn't done Webb Simpson or Carl Pettersson much good; Carl in with a 7-over-par 79 and props up the field, Webby shot 73.

Alex Noren leader in the clubhouse, with Franny Molinari close behind. Lowry struggling with a 75.

Mahan signed for a level-par 72 in the end.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 May 2017, 8:14 pm

Haven't seen all the course yet, but it looks terrific so far.

Happy birthday, Rory. 28 seems a bit old though. For you, that is.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 May 2017, 8:52 pm

Story of Greg Owen's career - off like a house on fire, gets to 4-under-par after 12 holes, reaches a Par-5 in regulation, and gooses a four-foot par putt. Then his bogey putt, then his double-bogey putt, holes a 2-footer for a snowman.
He just can't help himself, but that must be just about a career low, even for him.

On a happier note: I love these "Stagecoach" tee markers. Almost on a par with the John Deere diggers (no connection to esteemed posters intended).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 04 May 2017, 11:05 pm

Yes clever of Wells Fargo to divert attention and create positive associations.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 05 May 2017, 10:57 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Haven't seen all the course yet, but it looks terrific so far.

Happy birthday, Rory. 28 seems a bit old though. For you, that is.

Kind of shocking how quickly he has gone from 22 year old blowing a US open field apart to a 28 year old on a near 3 year major drought.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 May 2017, 11:57 am

Weather delay already posted in Wilmington for Round 2 of the Wells Fargo. They say a "one hour" delay, but don't hold your breath . . . . . .
Weather for the weekend looks very good however.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 05 May 2017, 5:46 pm

PD is reporting that Grayson Murray could climb into the OWGR top 60 if he wins this weekend.

That will be sure to rattle a few chains.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 May 2017, 6:21 pm

Not me GPB; I noted that he "might be good each way value", so no surprise to moi he's playing well. Does he still have Mike Hicks caddying for him?

PS: Tks for the earlier heads-up about Watney fulfilling the MME requirements. One of my faves to follow.

Gonzo playing well again after a lousy start this morning, but suspect yesterday's "morning wave" might have the better of the draw.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next