The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro vs Am world rankings

5 posters

Go down

Pro vs Am world rankings Empty Pro vs Am world rankings

Post by puligny Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Most of us have revelled in the position of European players in the OWGR over the past 2 years or so - long may it continue! However, just had a look at the amateur rankings which tell a different story - maybe an indication of things to come? In the AWGR top 50 there are only 9 Europeans, the list being dominated by USA players.
Does anyone know if this is a product of where ranking points are available, and/or a real assessment of the relative strengths of amateur players? I know the list is still being developed and read recently that a number of UK County tournaments are to be included for ranking points in the future.
Worth noting that of current young European players at least Mcllroy, Willett, Horsey and Dubuison have been ranked no1 in the Amateur rankings in the recent past.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Pro vs Am world rankings Empty Re: Pro vs Am world rankings

Post by Maverick Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Most recent AGWR no1 to win on tour and youngest ever AGWR No1 and tour winner, Matteo Manassero something like 16-18weeks top of the list before turning pro

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:53 pm

There's another one, though I thought even with his Open and Masters finishes he hadn't quite made it? Even so there are no likely lads right now - even though they are fabulous players

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 pm

There is a ranking but it seems to be very USA college favoured.

I was following Tommy Fleetwood a couple of years ago after being very imperessed with him at the British at Turnberry and he was ranked about 5th.

I think the link is via the R&A site.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:15 pm

The key is that the American college golfers are playing week after week through the winter, then playing the big national tournaments over the summer. They get a lot more golf in than Europe-based Europeans, and the ranking reflects it. I'm not overly worried by the stats; European amateur tournaments are still dominated by Europeans, American amateur tournaments are still dominated by Americans. And the success rates on both sides when turning pro are pretty similar; in fact probably slightly higher over here.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Many Europeans play winter tournaments in Aus etc and some are at US colleges.
Interested to see next Walker Cup. Last one was a pasting - though not whole of Europe of course.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 pm

Just a thought, not having seen a recent amateur world ranking, but:
There are more career amateurs, mid-amateurs if you like, in the US, very few elsewhere.
And many Europeans turn pro earlier; no incentive for most Europeans to remain amateur for a Walker Cup for instance.
I suspect that the average age of the top 50 US amateurs might be at least a couple of years older than that of the leading 50 "international" amateurs.
After all, the ages of tournament winners is probably lower for Pro "internationals", even on the PGA Tour, with the past thirteen months having thrown up Schwartzel, Kaymer, McIlroy, Day, Vegas, even Oosthuizen, only 27 when he won last year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:41 pm

Good point Kwini - I will try to get some more info. List (AWGR) is on Rand A website and USGA.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down