The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win?

+5
mobilemaster8
AdamT
catchweight
Derbymanc
Steffan
9 posters

Go down

Poll

Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win? Vote_lcap46%Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win? Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 11 ]
Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win? Vote_lcap33%Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 8 ]
Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win? Vote_lcap21%Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win? Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 24

Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win? Empty Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win?

Post by Steffan Thu 27 Apr - 22:05

Just another simple poll from a simple poster

I'm kind of mixed

First of all...Joshua is English. And while I am currently working and living in England with English people and drinking in a local English pub...I still can't forgive them beating us at Euro 2016. Plus they cheered on our opponents after crashing out to Lidl...sorry I mean Iceland. Second...I love a come back. Ali winning against Foreman, Leonard winning against Hagler etc. all proving that form is temporary but class is permanent. Part of me wants to see the old man do it

For other reasons though I want to see Joshua win. He is good for the sport and already a household name. His demeanour is also very good even if it could all be very false and doesn't bring the sport in disrepute. He also has the potential for two superfights against Fury and Wilder. If his 0 goes then neither fight will be as marketable. A loss would of course far hurt him more than it would Wlad

So I'm still undecided but possibly leaning more towards Joshua just for the benefit of future fights

How about you lot?

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win? Empty Re: Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win?

Post by Derbymanc Thu 27 Apr - 22:25

You know you love us really Stef :-)

I was all for Joshua but i've been watching up on Wlad and have warmed to him so really not sure who I want to win. On the one hand don't really want to see Wlad destroyed (and ridiculed over his career) if Joshua finish's him in a couple of rounds, but then Joshua really does seem like the guy to take the sport forward. So ultimately i'm torn

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win? Empty Re: Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko - Who do you want to win?

Post by catchweight Thu 27 Apr - 23:03

Joshua all the way. If a 40 something Klitschko was still good enough to beat the brightest upcoming talent in the division it would be depressing as hell.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr - 12:02

I really like both guys. Wlad isn't my favourite boxer to watch (not close), but he seems a good guy. I've always liked him and admire him for building a legacy since his crushing defeats.

There are a lot of things to like about Aj. He has great confidence, but also shows great respect. Like Wlad, Aj is a great ambassador for the sport.

I really want Anthony to win. He has an exciting style and has the look of the heavyweight champ. He is also bang in his prime and can become the face of the sport.

I get mocked for being overly interested in ppv, but the sport thriving in the states is very important.

The states want to see destruction. They like larger than life things.

An 18 stone athletic Heavyweight is right up their street.

We have some really big names recently from the Uk. But how many were major stars outside their own country. Hamed, Hatton, Lewis?

Joshua has the opportunity to become the 'next big thing'.

Sorry for the ramble, but Aj has a lot of the necessary traits to be a great champion. Saturday night, we will find out If he really has the tools.

I hope and think he has.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 28 Apr - 12:14

catchweight wrote:Joshua all the way. If a 40 something Klitschko was still good enough to beat the brightest upcoming talent in the division it would be depressing as hell.

But yet its alright when Floyd does it at 39/40?

Or Pacquiao

Or Foreman

Or Lewis.

Or Hopkins.

Its not their fault their better than the rest at their age.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 28 Apr - 13:48

What are you on about?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 28 Apr - 13:52

Just watched they weigh in. My word those Joshua fans really are a thick bunch. Team Klitschko it is I think

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 28 Apr - 15:51

catchweight wrote:What are you on about?
Just wondering why it would be depressing for an old 41 year old to beat the upcoming talent.

Is that his fault or theirs?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 28 Apr - 15:59

mobilemaster8 wrote:
Just wondering why it would be depressing for an old 41 year old to beat the upcoming talent.

The division would have no real future would it, bit different in the more talent rich lower weights.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Apr - 16:28

mobilemaster8 wrote:
catchweight wrote:Joshua all the way. If a 40 something Klitschko was still good enough to beat the brightest upcoming talent in the division it would be depressing as hell.

Or Pacquiao

Or Foreman

Or Lewis.

Or Hopkins.

It isn't alright for Hopkins, Mayweather et al to be dominating at 38 plus..........In an ideal world you have Terry Norris types to trash 34 year old Ray Leonards.........

It shows a lack of depth in Boxing...........Boxing needs more quality young fighters.....

Joshua will smack out Wlad and thankfully so..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Apr - 17:10

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

Or Pacquiao

Or Foreman

Or Lewis.

Or Hopkins.

It isn't alright for Hopkins, Mayweather et al to be dominating at 38 plus..........In an ideal world you have Terry Norris types to trash 34 year old Ray Leonards.........

It shows a lack of depth in Boxing...........Boxing needs more quality young fighters.....

Joshua will smack out Wlad and thankfully so..

Hopkins and Floyd didn't take any punishment (very little, anyway). That, coupled with today's "scientific" approaches to conditioning helped them keep going longer. Leonard's wars with Duran and Hearns took a toll.

These days, a 41 year-old heavyweight with over 68 fights can look like Arnie Schwarzenegger (and better muscled than just about any heavyweight who ever lived). Get used to fighters hanging around longer. It will become the norm (unless matchmaking changes).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Apr - 17:12

Didn't take a toll against Hagler or Lalonde did they...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 28 Apr - 17:29

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Didn't take a toll against Hagler or Lalonde did they...

Those fights took a toll on his longevity as a fighter.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr - 17:41

Careful match making and special supplements do help.

Also the level of competition has went down. As much as I like Floyd, can't compare his era to Sugar Ray. Obviously he could dominate until he's near 40.

I am siding with Aj, because of Wlads inactivity, more so than age.

Though I'm siding with Aj, I don't think it will be easy and it's a huge step up in class.

Is Wlad relishing being the underdog? I think he is. Less pressure on him. Imo AJ will be feeling it more.

I'm no body language expert, but Wlad looks soooo relaxed. Aj will be tight early.

This isn't the mis match many think. It's going to be a chess match with late drama (I hope). Or most likely points.

I predict close rounds, that AJ will win due to work rate.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Apr - 17:53

AJ purely because he is more entertaining to watch than Wlad. Have rarely enjoyed a Wlad fight but he does come across as an alright guy, has shown class when interviewed and done the gloves are off.

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 28 Apr - 18:06

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

The division would have no real future would it, bit different in the more talent rich lower weights.

Completely agree - but thats still not Wlads fault if at 41 he is still better than the whole division. Just doing his job.

It should give people a kick up the arse to try and get in shape and go at it....like Parker...or Joshua etc.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Fri 28 Apr - 22:33

if wlad wins watch people say that AJ was green and was overrated. They did the same when wlad beat Haye. Before the fight everyone was stating Haye was going to win and had too much power and after he lost everyone said he was a fraud and overrated.

People dont like to give Wlad credit.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 29 Apr - 10:03

Looking forward to this.

My only issue:

Wlad wins - Joshua was too green, 18 fights, can still come back
Joshua wins - Wlad was 41, lost to Fury, 18 months out.
Wlad wins - Division is boring, Joshua overrated
Joshua wins - The next mike tyson.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 29 Apr - 10:42

You knew that would happen anyway MM, hopefully there won't be too many like that (although i'm sure there'll be a few) and we get a good nights of boxing that either way will set the division up for the next few years

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 29 Apr - 11:34

Derbymanc wrote:You knew that would happen anyway MM, hopefully there won't be too many like that (although i'm sure there'll be a few) and we get a good nights of boxing that either way will set the division up for the next few years

Yeh agree mate - looking forward to a good fight hoping it can be competitive and both put on a show.

Cant help but think AJ will try and smash Wlad to bits. It could go so many ways.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down