The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predictions For AJ vs Wlad

+37
compelling and rich
JabMachineMK2
LivinginItaly
LeinsterFan4life
temporary21
Jermaine2015
qc2
eirebilly
Baby faced assassin
Happytravelling
Herman Jaeger
Eyetoldyouso
milkyboy
spencerclarke
rapidringsroad
Steffan
mobilemaster8
Rodney
TRUSSMAN66
huw
owen10ozzy
catchweight
hazharrison
3fingers
hogey
kingraf
Fernando
ShahenshahG
Scottrf
Hammersmith harrier
Guest82
AdamT
horizontalhero
EX7EY
BoxingFan88
Derbymanc
Mr Bounce
41 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Predictions For AJ vs Wlad  Empty Predictions For AJ vs Wlad

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 27 Apr 2017, 12:28 pm

Come on then - it's time to throw in your best guess for Saturday's big fight.

Being British I have to go with Joshua as I think Wlad will struggle with his power, size and his inability to impose his will as he used to when champion could have a profound effect.

Having eaten a fair few jabs and had a shaky moment, AJ poleaxes and finishes Wlad somewhere around the 7th round. Wlad realises he has not much left to prove and retires from boxing shortly after as it's a young man's game.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Predictions For AJ vs Wlad  Empty Re: Predictions For AJ vs Wlad

Post by Derbymanc Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:20 pm

Aj if he gets him out early. Wlad by UD if it goes late or too the cards

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:23 pm

True pickem and great fight

Agree with Derby but anything can happen to be honest

Wlad is the best active heavyweight on the planet at the moment

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:45 pm

I'm going to say Wlad. I've said from the beginning I think AJ is over rated, I think he has average boxing skills that are complemented by raw power. In the current Heavyweight scene that can get you pretty far but up against someone with Wlads skills and experience it's a different ball game.

So far Aj's best win is probably Dillian Whyte, who is vastly over rated IMO. I backed Chisora to beat him and I wasn't a million miles away - I think Chisora won to be honest. And let's face it, todays Chisora is not the same one that went the distance with Vit K or even the one that fought David Haye.

I think an AJ win will be better for boxing long term but I think he's coming unstuck against Wlad this weekend. I think it's got to be an early KO for AJ or he loses, probably on points but I can see Wlad knocking him out as well.

It hinges heavily on where Wlad is at in his career now and we can only guess at that.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:54 pm

EX7EY wrote:I'm going to say Wlad. I've said from the beginning I think AJ is over rated, I think he has average boxing skills that are complemented by raw power. In the current Heavyweight scene that can get you pretty far but up against someone with Wlads skills and experience it's a different ball game.

So far Aj's best win is probably Dillian Whyte, who is vastly over rated IMO. I backed Chisora to beat him and I wasn't a million miles away - I think Chisora won to be honest. And let's face it, todays Chisora is not the same one that went the distance with Vit K or even the one that fought David Haye.

I think an AJ win will be better for boxing long term but I think he's coming unstuck against Wlad this weekend. I think it's got to be an early KO for AJ or he loses, probably on points but I can see Wlad knocking him out as well.

It hinges heavily on where Wlad is at in his career now and we can only guess at that.

Totally agree

Its the 1 1/2 year of inactivity and the fact he is away which means he can't use his usual jab and grab tactics that has me second guessing

If Wlad hadn't been inactive, I would have no hesitation picking him

That's what makes this fight so good

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 27 Apr 2017, 2:02 pm

AJ inside four. Too fast and too strong for a chinny 41 year old that can no longer pull the trigger.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 27 Apr 2017, 2:03 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Aj if he gets him out early. Wlad by UD if it goes late or too the cards

Come off the fence Derby- which is it?

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 27 Apr 2017, 2:04 pm

I was leaning to Wlad, but Aj late stoppage.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 2:05 pm

Joshua by stoppage. Think Wlad is done.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 27 Apr 2017, 2:15 pm

AJ within 4, Wlad couldn't pull the trigger against light punching Fury so doubt he'll become willing to against a big hitter at 41 years of age.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Thu 27 Apr 2017, 2:15 pm

I think it's great that this fight has people a little bit divided. Something to discuss before an AJ fight for the first time since.....well, forever haha.

Wlads inactivity and his last showing against Fury definitely count against him. However, i rewatched the Fury fight the other night and Fury was just so awkward, completely different from anything Wlad had faced in recent years. Not saying Fury masterclass so let's not start arguing, just sayingFury was really awkward and I think that coupled with Furys size just stopped Wlad finsing a rythm. Also didn't help that Wlad really doesn't enjoy getting hit.

Maybe Wlad is done, maybe he's not. Maybe in todays era he could be a shell of the old Wlad and still be good enough to be the man, who knows?

He obviously thinks he still has something left, otherwise I don't see why he travels to Wembley to take on the supposed most destructive heavyweight since Mike Tyson.

He was eager to get the Fury rematch and he's cleasrly stayed in training so I have a sneaky feeling there is an 'upset' on the cards.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 27 Apr 2017, 2:42 pm

EX7EY wrote:I think it's great that this fight has people a little bit divided. Something to discuss before an AJ fight for the first time since.....well, forever haha.

Wlads inactivity and his last showing against Fury definitely count against him. However, i rewatched the Fury fight the other night and Fury was just so awkward, completely different from anything Wlad had faced in recent years. Not saying Fury masterclass so let's not start arguing, just sayingFury was really awkward and I think that coupled with Furys size just stopped Wlad finsing a rythm. Also didn't help that Wlad really doesn't enjoy getting hit.

Maybe Wlad is done, maybe he's not. Maybe in todays era he could be a shell of the old Wlad and still be good enough to be the man, who knows?

He obviously thinks he still has something left, otherwise I don't see why he travels to Wembley to take on the supposed most destructive heavyweight since Mike Tyson.

He was eager to get the Fury rematch and he's cleasrly stayed in training so I have a sneaky feeling there is an 'upset' on the cards.

Agree that Fury was awkward, but it's not like there weren't tapes available of him for Wlad's camp to watch, and he had 12 rounds to try and alter his strategy- but neither him or his corner seemed to be able to come up with a plan B. You can't teach old dogs new tricks, and so AJ knows what to expect- jab, grab , hold, occasional right hand, all done rather tentatively.

Last edited by horizontalhero on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 3:19 pm

Wlad couldn't land the jab so he didn't throw the right hand, Peter Fury said that was the game plan, don't let him get set

He needs to be set to throw, if you watch Wlad you can see that construct

However I don't think AJ has the ability to do that

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 27 Apr 2017, 3:25 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Wlad couldn't land the jab so he didn't throw the right hand, Peter Fury said that was the game plan, don't let him get set

He knows that though and has been practicing staying out of his line so he can't get set up.

AJ for me.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 27 Apr 2017, 3:37 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Wlad couldn't land the jab so he didn't throw the right hand, Peter Fury said that was the game plan, don't let him get set

But couldn't land the jab because he wasn't throwing it-If AJ put him under pressure, I think it will have the same effect. Size, power and pressure will intimidate him just as awkward movement and switch hitting confused him.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 27 Apr 2017, 5:29 pm

I think it's an EKO either way or a Wlad win by decision. No real feel for this one.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 27 Apr 2017, 5:32 pm

Joshua between 6th & 8th round

Just feels like Wlad has come over for one final payday before setting off into retirement tbh.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 27 Apr 2017, 6:37 pm

Difficult one to call this. I hope AJ wins because if he does boxing has a new face who is going to make a bazillion dollars.

I'm surprised no one has yet qualified their prediction by saying it assumes no one tears their achilles during the fight
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:36 pm

Joshua to win inside 3 rounds, Wlad was finished 2 years ago and he is only gonna get worse can see this being very one sided.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:05 pm

This one is intriguing. People are writing Wladimir off due to the Fury performance, when it would be more sensible to write him off due to age.

Wladimir is an extremely intelligent boxer, who stifles an opponents rhythm by use of the jab and very underrated foot work.

He normally lands the jab due to his size; his levers are typically longer than his opponents, therefore he doesn't need to move his feet, too much, to get into range.

Against Fury he was the much shorter man, which somewhat nullified his advantages what compounded the matter, however, was Tyson Fury mobility. He is ungainly but he doesn't half shift around the ring at quite a pace.

For a thinking fighter, landing the jab can be about timing the opponents movements, predicting where the head will be before you let the shot go and, better still, if you can, gauge the opponents weight distribution so it makes it hard to defend using the feet, or, will make them more off balance if the you use a trunk defense. Wladimir couldn't get the jab off, and everything comes from his jab. Fury used awkwardness, mobility, unpredictability, flints and head movement (trunk defenses) to nullify the jab.

Joshua, is not really mobile, he doesn't move his head, he doesnt throw throw feints, and hes not awkward or unpredictable.

That's why no one should gauge Wlads performance against Fury to call this fight.

I don't know who will win. All I know own is this is a HUGE step up for Joshua.

I can call it either way:

Stoppage 2'3'4 for Joshua
Stoppage 6,7,8 for Wlad.

If it goes to points I wouldn't predict a landslide one way or the other. It will be close.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:09 pm

AJ on points. 116-112. Put your mortgage on that one. Wlad will feel hard done to. Rematch in October.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:19 pm

Neither do I think AJ winning is better for boxing. AJ is young and, if he loses, will come again to become champion.

I'd much rather follow a story of the boxer who rebuilds to dominate the division, than the current drivel about this recking ball 'World Champion', the most fearsome fighter since Mike Tyson.

...who, in actual fact, has never faced anyone of any note.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:57 pm

Not sure how to call this one but Joshua seems a pretty unattractive price at 4/9. I wouldnt go near him on those odds.

2/1 on Klitschko is the more tempting.

A Klitschko win would be depressing for boxing.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:00 pm

My prediction....ill be left feeling hugely underwhelmed if I pay the £20 charge for this! Fiver increase yet the under card is absolute garbage!! Hearn loves the whole "as many names on a card as possible" but this is taking the piss.

As for the fight itself...my last prediction was horrific (Haye to absolutely splatter Bellew)...so with no confidence at all im going for the upset knockout and saying Wlad in 4 rounds...would love to see AJ win though and everything points to it being his time so hope im completely wrong

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 28 Apr 2017, 9:23 am

3fingers wrote:Neither do I think AJ winning is better for boxing. AJ is young and, if he loses, will come again to become champion.

I'd much rather follow a story of the boxer who rebuilds to dominate the division, than the current drivel about this recking ball 'World Champion', the most fearsome fighter since Mike Tyson.

...who, in actual fact, has never faced anyone of any note.

He's actually 27. As a heavy that is probably around 8 years max left so probably 16 fights. If he loses and looks vulnerable then he will probably get another shot. If he loses but in a close decision he would have to rely on a rematch with Wlad or else he could be avoided, the lack of heavies is the only thing that would make it harder.

On this note, all champions should have to fight twice per year minimum.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 9:43 am

Complete mismatch.....Won't be watching it...

Two rounds at the most....Watched Sanders the other night and Wlad was completely inept against a sharp straight puncher he couldn't maul in a straight line.

Never beaten anyone really since..That believed anyway.

Wlad was a one dimensional fighter reigning in the worst time in Heavy history.

Add in he is 41 and threw 17 punches a round against the unproven Fury.

It doesn't promise much.....But the eternal optimists have every right to believe.

Miracles happen....But not here in my humble opinion.

Hope you enjoy the evening though.. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:05 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Complete mismatch.....Won't be watching it...

Two rounds at the most....Watched Sanders the other night and Wlad was completely inept against a sharp straight puncher he couldn't maul in a straight line.

Never beaten anyone really since..That believed anyway.

Wlad was a one dimensional fighter reigning in the worst time in Heavy history.

Add in he is 41 and threw 17 punches a round against the unproven Fury.

It doesn't promise much.....But the eternal optimists have every right to believe.

Miracles happen....But not here in my humble opinion.

Hope you enjoy the evening though.. thumbsup

Rodney runs to the bookies and puts the lot on Wlad.

Heard this certainty before from you Truss, Hatton v Pacquaio anyone

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:14 am

Joshua could in fact spark him early but my overall thoughts is Wlad is too good for him, Joshua's footwork is poor simply due to the fact he has them planted to the canvas constantly as he looks to unload bomb after bomb - Klitschko has seen this a million times before, Joshua runs out of ideas and Klitschko steals the fight late.

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:39 am

Sometimes the fight itself doesn't need predictions to make it interesting. The fight should test both of them in different ways - for Joshua it is going to be his chin and his defence (head movement?) - for Klitschko it is going to be his accuracy, stamina and strength (having spent so much time out of the ring and not getting any younger). Joshua has youth and power but lacks experience. Klitschko has experience but could be ring rusty and slower.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:40 am

horizontalhero wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:Aj if he gets him out early. Wlad by UD if it goes late or too the cards

Come off the fence Derby- which is it?

I missed this :-) i'm going Wlad on points, just think he'll be too big a test fr AJ at thi point in time

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:42 am

How can Wlad win on points?

He threw 17 punches a round against Fury and this fight is in the UK.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:43 am

This is what a lot of it comes down to for me, I just don't think AJ is that good a boxer. Not saying he's talentless, don't get me wrong. He's decent with devastating power, in my humble opinion. I think at world level it's not enough. The good news for AJ is the division is fairly weak, so the attributes he does posses are adequate. But I just think if WK has something left anywhere near his best then AJ may come unstuck.

The division is a bit open to interpretation right now isn't it. Fury was regarded as a real useless bum by nearly everybody yet he became the undefeated, unified heavyweight champion of the world. So IMo it's so hard to tell how good any of the top heavies actually are at the moment.

As Rodney has alluded to above, what is AJ's plan B? Does he even have a plan B? If he spends the first 4 rounds unloading and Wlad is still in there then what does he do? Can he go 12 rounds if necessary? i don't think he can. i think if it goes past 8 and AJ's spent a lot of energy trying to blast Wlad out then he could be in serious trouble. He's not outboxing Wlad in my opinion, unless Wlad doesnt throw punches again which i just dont see being the case.

Looking forward to finding out how it unfolds.

Last edited by EX7EY on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : inaccuracy)

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:50 am

Cause Fury had him bamboozled Truss, I think Joshua is too green for the very wily old veteran and Wlad will frustrate him. Joshua starts off throwing bombs trying to get him out of there winning the early rounds until he starts to slow and Wlad takes over from about round 4/5 and wins everyone after that.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:52 am

EX7EY wrote: If he spends the first 4 rounds unloading and Wlad is still in there then what does he do?

Complain to the referee that they switched brothers.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:54 am

Anyone see Wlad on the pads yesterday along with his camp prior? Seems to be working on a hell of a lot of movement on this one with very quick combos.

Think he may be looking to box around sharpish for a few rounds and drag it late.

Be an interesting fight if Wlad has it in him still.

Going off his last fight and his lay off, he hasnt got anything and should be battered into oblivion.

Hope im wrong, he is a legend.....could this be his last hurrah?

Both very confident.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:55 am

Scottrf wrote:
EX7EY wrote: If he spends the first 4 rounds unloading and Wlad is still in there then what does he do?

Complain to the referee that they switched brothers.

lol

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:59 am

Joshua just hasnt fought enough (any) decent opposition to be able make him such a surefire favourite in my book. Simple as that really. Fury and Klitschko are way above the standard he has been fighting at. Time to find out if Joshua is the real deal.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 11:10 am

catchweight wrote:Joshua just hasnt fought enough (any) decent opposition to be able make him such a surefire favourite in my book. Simple as that really. Fury and Klitschko are way above the standard he has been fighting at. Time to find out if Joshua is the real deal.

41 and 18 months out..........Lost to Fury in his last fight.........Was to stiff or scared to engage....

Joshua is a Bruno clone.....and there are no fighters on Wlad's record as good as Frank......

Younger, fresher, better chin, punches straight..............I think because you guys dislike Hearn you are clutching at straws...Don't let the heart rule the head.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 11:12 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
catchweight wrote:Joshua just hasnt fought enough (any) decent opposition to be able make him such a surefire favourite in my book. Simple as that really. Fury and Klitschko are way above the standard he has been fighting at. Time to find out if Joshua is the real deal.

41 and 18 months out..........Lost to Fury in his last fight.........Was to stiff or scared to engage....

Joshua is a Bruno clone.....and there are no fighters on Wlad's record as good as Frank......

Younger, fresher, better chin, punches straight..............I think because you guys dislike Hearn you are clutching at straws...Don't let the heart rule the head.

David Haye? Alexander Povetkin?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Fri 28 Apr 2017, 11:23 am

Just for the record Truss, I dont actually dislike Hearn. He's done a decent job of brining boxing to the forefront in the UK again in some regards. I just don't like the way he's used his exclusivity with Sky.

Too many fake grudge matches, too many unworthy PPV events amongst a few other things. But I don't dislike the guy, he's been good for the UK boxing scene I've got to give him that.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 28 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Truss has it about right i reckon, Wlad has never beaten anyone as good as Joshua and its probably his hardest fight since Corrie Sanders 14 years ago. Add to that he is 41, couldn't let his hands go against a pretty modest opponent in his last fight and he has been out of the ring for nearly 20 months nothing suggests to me that we are gonna see an upset.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr 2017, 12:50 pm

According to Truss, all a fighter needs to do is study the Sanders fight lol.

How many years ago was that and does Wlad use the same tactics now?

He gives Wlad no chance, yet writes articles saying Khan beats Canelo?

Truss I believe you, when you say you won't be watching. It's quite obvious you don't really watch boxing, unless it's probably 80's related.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 28 Apr 2017, 12:52 pm

Wlad isn't even remotely similar to the one that fought Sanders

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 28 Apr 2017, 12:53 pm

I don't understand that post at all Adam.

Sanders did beat Wlad by punching and it's also true that he's not fought anyone of that ilk since so makes you look a little bit silly.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr 2017, 12:58 pm

He isn't the same fighter now. His style of fighting is completely different.

Sanders style was basic. I'm sure if he had the blueprint, someone would of knocked out Wlad by now.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

Sanders was a lefty I don't see any comparison with Joshua - silly talk.

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

AdamT wrote:He isn't the same fighter now. His style of fighting is completely different.

Sanders style was basic. I'm sure if he had the blueprint, someone would of knocked out Wlad by now.

Completely different how?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:07 pm

Doesn't attack as aggressively

Fights passively off the jab. Never commits, until he needs to.
Has better defence.

More experienced.

Jab and grab tactics.

Did I mention he is hard to hit now?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:08 pm

Haz accuses me of being an alias.

He was right about Truss having a couple o accounts, however I'm not one.

Pretty easy to figure out the other now.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:13 pm

I'm guessing Truss and I are one and the same then Adam?

Wlad had moved away from being an aggressive boxer long before the Sanders fight, after he gassed against Purrity he settled down and I don't see much difference in how he fights now.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next