The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bundee Aki charged with misconduct

+13
mikey_dragon
thebandwagonsociety
RuggerRadge2611
Recwatcher16
Pete330v2
Cyril
geoff999rugby
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
Irish Londoner
neilthom7
Exiledinborders
marty2086
17 posters

Go down

Bundee Aki charged with misconduct Empty Bundee Aki charged with misconduct

Post by marty2086 Wed 26 Apr 2017, 8:49 pm

Pundit Arena wrote:Bundee Aki has been formally charged with misconduct by the Pro12 for inappropriately questioning referee Ian Davies on multiple occasions during Connacht’s loss to Leinster two weeks ago.

The centre will have a chance to defend his behaviour during a disciplinary hearing that will be held in Cardiff tomorrow with the Kiwi set to join via Skype.

However, given the fact that some reports have stated that the Kiwi refused to even shake hands with the referee after the game, it seems extremely unlikely that the charges will be dismissed and Aki is likely to face both a fine and a suspension for his behaviour.

Aki apparently protested the refereeing decisions on so many occasions that the ref had to ask him to hold his tongue on multiple occasions and even turned to John Muldoon in an effort to get Connacht captain to ‘turn down’ the 28-year-old.

A decision with regard to Aki’s punishment should become clear at some stage tomorrow.

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Bundee Aki charged with misconduct Empty Re: Bundee Aki charged with misconduct

Post by marty2086 Wed 26 Apr 2017, 8:52 pm

I only saw the last quarter of the game but towards the end Aki was told of by the ref for his running commentary and from what I saw Aki was right to challenge him, for the decision that got him the telling off he was penalised in front of his own posts for not rolling away despite not being near the ball and two Leinster players being on top of it.

The ref, as seems to be typical with him, had a shocker

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Wed 26 Apr 2017, 9:01 pm

marty2086 wrote:I only saw the last quarter of the game but towards the end Aki was told of by the ref for his running commentary and from what I saw Aki was right to challenge him, for the decision that got him the telling off he was penalised in front of his own posts for not rolling away despite not being near the ball and two Leinster players being on top of it.

Rubbish. It matters not a jot whether the ref is right or wrong. Players should just shut up and get on with the game. If Aki was arguing the ref should have just sent him off.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 26 Apr 2017, 9:07 pm

It does matter though, the penalty I mentioned took Leinster 10 points clear and denied Connacht a LBP. When players have no recourse for grievances against bumbling fools like Dais then this is the result, you had Andrew Brace at the weekend accusing Richard Hibbard of play acting after being hit where no man wants to be hit

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 26 Apr 2017, 9:47 pm

I do think players should not be getting on at the ref like that,you should respect him and even if he is wrong if you are focussing on him you are not focussing on the game.

However there has to be some sort of system to look into refereeing mistakes. It cannot be that is a ever growing professional game that even with the technology we have available referees can continue to have terrible games, to make mistake after mistake and be allowed to referee at this level. It is simply not acceptable. I mean during the 6 nations the Rory Best told the referee the rules at the end of the Scotland game and the referee actually told him he was wrong, thing is Rory was dead right. If a referee is one of the the highest, top level games does not even know a rule like that what chance do we have of getting games not ruined by mistakes

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 26 Apr 2017, 10:14 pm

I can understand when players at the top level get frustrated with poor decisions by the referee but (along with simulation) the last thing we need in the game is the soccer style undermining of the referee, if only because like soccer this will drip down to the lower levels.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 27 Apr 2017, 7:55 am

Whether you agree with it and even if it's wrong the refs decision is final. We get taught that at a young age and it shouldn't be forgotten.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:21 am

If the player was haranguing the ref all match, such that the captain was called over, and still continued - well the ref had but one option to make. He should have sent the player off.

The ref may have had a bad game, he may have bottled that call to send the player off. Still does not excuse the player's actions.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:31 am

Ian Davies is useless (hasn't got a clue about the breakdown) BUT that does alter the fact that Aki was out of order and will be rightly punished

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:35 am

Hasn't Aki been in trouble for this before? Having said that, maybe he's just been taking notes after watching the likes of Sexton and Parisse. It's rather depressing as it's difficult enough for refs already.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:51 am

1. Davies is a clown, of that we're all in agreement. There are too many clowns in the Pro12 though which is worrying.
2. Aki needs to curb the enthusiasm when it comes to expressing his feelings about Davies being a clown and should indeed be punished. The player/referee respect issue is never up for negotiation.
3. There should be a referee review panel where the ones found to be consistent clowns find themselves officiating schools rugby for a while. A relegation/promotion system of sorts.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:04 am

Only the captain is entitled to speak to the ref.
Any other player making comments should receive a warning that the next comment/challenge will result in a yellow card. That should sort it.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:41 am

I'd like to see this get evened out a bit,

Sure Aki was in the wrong, especially when not shaking the ref's hand, mind you Joubert famously ran from the pitch without shaking anyones hand...

Onto lippy comments, as much as I love Nigel Owens and think he is the best ref in the world, he needs to reign in some of his soundbites.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:50 am

Cyril wrote:Hasn't Aki been in trouble for this before? Having said that, maybe he's just been taking notes after watching the likes of Sexton and Parisse. It's rather depressing as it's difficult enough for refs already.

Parisse is the captain he's supposed to discuss decisions with the referee. The worst for me is Biggar, his actions during the six nations were embarrassing. Particularly in the game vs France.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:54 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Cyril wrote:Hasn't Aki been in trouble for this before? Having said that, maybe he's just been taking notes after watching the likes of Sexton and Parisse. It's rather depressing as it's difficult enough for refs already.

Parisse is the captain he's supposed to discuss decisions with the referee. The worst for me is Biggar, his actions during the six nations were embarrassing. Particularly in the game vs France.

his *oh my god* and gesticulating were particularly bad.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:16 am

Yes, the captains are supposed to be the links with the ref, but Parisse is always in the ear of the referee, whining, shaking his head, holding up imaginary cards etc.

Sexton was screaming at Owens on the weekend for most of the game and isn't that different from Biggar on occasions (arms out wide, bleating and stamping his feet). Nacewa was trying the card trick and well. Owens only seemed to give them a slight talking to rather than clamping down on it early.

They aren't the only players. I notice O'Brien does it a lot, but maybe it's more his high-pitched voice that is so noticeable.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:40 am

Refs should just walk a team back ten yards if the penalised team are complaining or reverse the penalty if there is excessive sexton style lip over dishing out imaginary cards.

Players should only speak to the ref when they are being spoken to, and captains should only be asking for clarification on calls/decisions.

Muppets refereeing games.... isn't really new news.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 27 Apr 2017, 12:06 pm

marty2086 wrote:I only saw the last quarter of the game but towards the end Aki was told of by the ref for his running commentary and from what I saw Aki was right to challenge him, for the decision that got him the telling off he was penalised in front of his own posts for not rolling away despite not being near the ball and two Leinster players being on top of it.

Rich. If Liam Williams or Dan Biggar were doing it when playing Ulster you would all be going nuts on here.

Having said that I do see an underlying point in what you're saying; if the Pro12 had better officials then these situations would be a lot less common.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:10 pm

What does Ulster have to do with it? Bundee Aki does not play for Ulster.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:16 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:What does Ulster have to do with it? Bundee Aki does not play for Ulster.

Read it again.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:57 pm

Christ, if this had been enforced against the Munster of old they wouldn't have a player on the pitch.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 2:41 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Rich. If Liam Williams or Dan Biggar were doing it when playing Ulster you would all be going nuts on here.

Having said that I do see an underlying point in what you're saying; if the Pro12 had better officials then these situations would be a lot less common.

I'm against the idea of players talking back to officials, I missed most of the match so can't comment on the other decisions but on the one I previously mentioned I can and think it was justified. I was shouting at the screen that Leinster were sealing off and was shocked it was given against Aki. He makes the tackle and is cleared to the side by I think Van Der Flier who is the one who prevents the ball coming back, this followed Aki seemingly getting over the ball a few phases before but not getting the penalty.

https://youtu.be/tgJsJc5vftk?t=1h30m11s

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

He could easily got a pen against him for not releasing 1st off. Then is on the wrong side. He ain't got a leg to stand on there.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 3:27 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:He could easily got a pen against him for not releasing 1st off. Then is on the wrong side. He ain't got a leg to stand on there.

On the wrong side? The ball carrier comes down on top of him and he does well to get out of the way, he's then penalised for the Leinster player stopping the ball coming back Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 3:31 pm

He's on the wrong side. You can easily see why he's pinged for that surely. Even if you can't he shouldn't be mouthing off at the ref. It's down to his captain to ask for leniency or try to get the ref on his side by trying to say they're deliberately trapping him. Most times the ref will blow against him there though and it's up to the tackler to fall the other side or roll quicker.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 3:38 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:He's on the wrong side. You can easily see why he's pinged for that surely. Even if you can't he shouldn't be mouthing off at the ref. It's down to his captain to ask for leniency or try to get the ref on his side by trying to say they're deliberately trapping him. Most times the ref will blow against him there though and it's up to the tackler to fall the other side or roll quicker.

Where in the laws does it say anything about the wrong side? A tackler has to move away from the ball he does that and the Leinster player ensures it, the player stopping the ball coming back is the Leinster player

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 3:41 pm

Ok. That's fine. It's not how it will be reffed in the majority of times. Say it was a monumental error though akin to the ref not knowing a law and applying the wrong sanction....It still should be the captain speaking to the ref and not a player shouting having a hissy fit etc.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:12 pm

Cyril wrote:

Yes, the captains are supposed to be the links with the ref, but Parisse is always in the ear of the referee, whining, shaking his head, holding up imaginary cards etc.

Sexton was screaming at Owens on the weekend for most of the game and isn't that different from Biggar on occasions (arms out wide, bleating and stamping his feet). Nacewa was trying the card trick and well. Owens only seemed to give them a slight talking to rather than clamping down on it early.

They aren't the only players. I notice O'Brien does it a lot, but maybe it's more his high-pitched voice that is so noticeable.

I didn't see the Leinster game at the weekend so can't comment.  Haven't seen Parisse with the imaginery card, normally the decisions go against him so he's not got the chance. He does wave his arms around a lot and take to the ref but if it works for him then why not. As long as he is not disrespectful and isn't whining then he's doing his job as captain.

What stuck in my mind was Biggar running right up into the face of the touch judge, arms out wide screaming for a decision. That sort of thing should be an instant reversal of penalty and threat of card for further transactions.

Rugby officials are going soft. Yes mistakes are made but the difference has always been rugby players should be man enough to suck it up and get on with it. I'd like to see the unions cracking down on this behaviour and if Ake needs to be made an example of then so be it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:18 pm

http://www.the42.ie/bundee-aki-banned-3361838-Apr2017/

Good outcome. There was a discussion about swearing or yelling at officials on here recently and how it is now just an accepted part of the professional game. Well, I'm glad to see that this isn't the case and that the officials will still clamp down on this sort of behaviour.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:27 pm

Worrying trend at the recent Saracens Saints game both Woods and Vunipola should have gone to the bin for screaming at the referee.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 28 Apr 2017, 6:56 am

Maybe 'Woods' was annoyed that the ref was getting his name wrong?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 28 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

geoff999rugby wrote:Worrying trend at the recent Saracens Saints game both Woods and Vunipola should have gone to the bin for screaming at the referee.

The ref in that game certainly told George and Vunipola that if the continued to speak to him like that they would be off the pitch. The dd calm down, but he should have at the least penalised them 10m. Did not notice an issue with Wood but was aware that towards the end he spoke to Saints.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 28 Apr 2017, 8:44 am

Cyril wrote:Maybe 'Woods' was annoyed that the ref was getting his name wrong?

Nah, he was calling all the players by their first name. Nt something I am comfortable with - too chummy. Green 7, Black 8 does it for me.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 28 Apr 2017, 11:30 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Cyril wrote:Maybe 'Woods' was annoyed that the ref was getting his name wrong?

Nah, he was calling all the players by their first name. Nt something I am comfortable with - too chummy. Green 7, Black 8 does it for me.

Agreed

I hate it when the ref is calling the opposition by their first names yet refers to our players by their colour and number.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 28 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:

Rubbish. It matters not a jot whether the ref is right or wrong. Players should just shut up and get on with the game.  If Aki was arguing the ref should have just sent him off.

It raises more questions about Muldoon than about Aki if I am to be fair. Muldoon should have been speaking to the ref but he was not vocal enough which led Aki to be more vocal. Ref was dead wrong but Muldoon should have reeled Aki in and been more vocal himself.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down