The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gwent Dragons confirm released players

+4
Impossible Standards
ospreylian
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Adam D
8 posters

Go down

Gwent Dragons confirm released players Empty Gwent Dragons confirm released players

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:04 am

Newport Gwent Dragons have confirmed the players released from the region at the end of the 2010/11 season.

Ali McKenzie, Pat Palmer, Duane Goodfield (Retired) Arthur Ellis, Adam Brown, James Thomas, Craig Attwell, Rhydian Wilson, Tom Cooper, Matthew Watkins, Rhodri Gomer Davies, Nathan Brew, James Davies, Matt Evans, Joe Bearman, Nicky Griffiths.

“It is a part of rugby that the end of each season sees a certain amount of player movement,” said Dragons Director of Rugby Robert Beale. “These players have all put in a great deal of effort for the Dragons and we would like to thank them for the commitment they have shown to the region during their time here.”

source and link to site - emerald rugby

Any surprises?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons confirm released players Empty Re: Gwent Dragons confirm released players

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:06 am

Is Nathan Brew related to Aled?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons confirm released players Empty Re: Gwent Dragons confirm released players

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:07 am

Brother

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:09 am

Brothers and they lived just up the road from me.

Good players but NOT international quality. devil
That'll fetch the Dragons fans out.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:26 am

Osprey - check your PMs please! Your inbox might be full.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

Ospreylian how dare you wind me up just before lunch! I'll never enjoy my pot noodle now...... mad
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:26 pm

Thats a tidy little clear out. I guess that is what happens when a new coach gets to sort out the squad that he wants. Out of interest how many of those had just signed last summer? I think there are a handfull there.

How are the incoming Dragons shaping up?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

Thank the lord rhodri goner Davies has gone!!!!
In his own head he thinks he's Carlos Spencer. More like Frank Spencer!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

ScarletSpiderman - We have only really recruited some squad players. people to bulk up the numbers. The clear out was necessary Darren Edwards said himself the squad was too large. We are still waiting on our 'Big name' signing. However rumors point to Andy Tuilagi from Sale.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:24 pm

That's pretty old news now and was discussed on the old 606 about 2 weeks ago!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A85068101

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A84956773

Still, glad we've lightened the load as this will free up some (but not a great deal) of money. Hopefully it will be spent on a no-nonsense tighthead.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:32 pm

We need tight head and a narly 2nd rower.

Pity M J Watkins got so many injuries as we need bit of experience in the centre as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

Yeah Bedford, I think we need a powehouse in the 2nd row to accompany Charteris. A Bakkies Botha to his Victor Matfield, if you will! I'm not sure he can provide the grunt we need at scrum time. Someone else on here suggested that he struggles in the scrum with his height as it means he has to arch his back meaning less power through the body. Makes sense I suppose.

An Ian Gough of a few years back would be great. Maybe Ian Evans? However, he's both a penalty machine and injury prone. However, with an enforcer you will get penalties. Can't think of anyone else in Wales who would be described as a powerhouse/gnarly/enforcer AND who would be available to come to us. What about the S14? I don't mind having 1 or 2 quality overseas players in the team. But they do have to be quality or it makes no sense not to start a local lad instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:48 pm

Griff,

I to have no problems with one or two NWQ playres but they have to be of the best standard not like some we have had.

I would be more than happy with I Evans though I think with Gough coming to end now he will be hoping to from a long term combo with AWJ.

Its been mentioned before but now we have Kingsley Jones over in Russia maybe there are few Eastern Europeans/Georgians we can get in who would def give us the grunt.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:54 pm

Ian Evans was one of 3 ospreys players who had contacted the Dragons to join not so long ago but couldn't get a release on his contract. the others were Matthew Morgan and Gareth Owen.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

IS,

Whilst Morgan and Owen would be great to have both for thats not the areas we need immediate strength in.

In players such as Smith, Hughes, Harries, Jones, Thomas, Tovey and Brew we have some top class backs we need the hard nosed nasty forwards to win them the ball.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:30 pm

Yeah I agree that we need probably a tighthead, and a 2nd row. Although I have a feeling there won't be a lot more coming in I think they may want to work with Dan Way and Phil Price in the pre-season.

I would have liked to have seen Matt Evans given another year, he was going well for Newport before his injury.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Tue 07 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

bedfordwelsh
it was me who mentioned the kingsley jones/russian connection,and i have no doubt the dragons will secure a few big russian forwards over the next few years.

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down