The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Root named England captain

+5
Good Golly I'm Olly
VTR
KP_fan
Gooseberry
sirfredperry
9 posters

Go down

Root named England captain Empty Root named England captain

Post by sirfredperry Mon 13 Feb 2017, 10:09 am

Root's elevation to the captaincy has been announced today. The only logical move, really, although I, for one, would have liked him to have got the captaincy a little later in his career.
  Let's hope it doesn't affect his batting...

Last edited by sirfredperry on Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed title and wording)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Root named England captain Empty Re: Root named England captain

Post by Gooseberry Mon 13 Feb 2017, 11:12 am

...yes his centuries are vital to England Rolling Eyes

Pretty inevitable, and opens the door linger term to reunite the all formats captaincy. I have more concerns about that and the load that places on him for his longevity than any short term affect on his test batting.
Cooks burnt out fronting just the test team and not playing the shorter forms for some years. Root is first name on the team sheet in all forms. No hiding place for him, even if Morgan is taking the brunt of things in limited overs he still won't get the opportunities Cook did for down time.
It could see him rested more than might otherwise have been the case for the meaningless series.

Of course folk will point to kholi and say what is possible, both in stepping up a gear with the bat after captaincy and in managing to lead and perform in all formats without meltdown.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 13 Feb 2017, 11:37 am

Root would be good and to me an inevitable  choice......

as an  aside establishment is dragging this like a soap opera drama......over 4 episodes what can and should be finished in a single step

--we will consider captaincy candidates
--we have interviewed stokes and Broad
--we hereby announce today on Monday that on Monday Root will be announced captain   Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by KP_fan on Mon 13 Feb 2017, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 13 Feb 2017, 12:04 pm

Well it's finally confirmed, what everyone already knew, that it is Root. I do agree with KP Fan this is an absolute charade to arrive at a decision that was already made

So a new era for English cricket and I can see Root being the all formats captain sooner rather than later

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Feb 2017, 12:06 pm

I think Strauss wants to keep the captaincy for limited overs and tests seperate for the foreseeable future

Even if Morgan went or got dropped I would imagine they'd give it to Buttler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 13 Feb 2017, 12:44 pm

Anything and everything should be done to prioritise the test team so I'd much rather see Morgan carry on or Buttler take over than a three format captain again. In an ideal world Root and Stokes would be nowhere near the limited overs garbage.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 13 Feb 2017, 2:30 pm

Garbage is a bit strong! I'd love to see England win the World Cup - we have never won it so it would be nice to see. It's one of the few chances in cricket to take on all of the other teams and declare that you were the best.

Thankfully the top management at the ECB seem to agree with this and aren't just prioritsing The Ashes to the detriment of everything else. It's nice to win The Ashes and all that but we've done it plenty of times recently and it must be the most overdone series in sport lately

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 14 Feb 2017, 8:43 am

BBC article points out that only Vaughan has been played a large number of tests as England captain and seen his batting suffer significantly in that time. Most average higher as captain. He was also playing through injury for much of that period.

Seems most of us are in the same page if for somewhat differing reasons in regard to a single captaincy. But if Morgans form slumps and/or if the CT is a disaster the question will come up. I'm glad to hear Strauss is still in favour of the split responsibility and seeing the shorter formats as requiring stand alone set ups beyond just the captain.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 17 Feb 2017, 11:19 am

I don't think Root should be in the T20 team, let alone captain of that format. Unless he develops the power game to keep up with others, he can put too much pressure on the other batsman.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 Feb 2017, 11:50 am

robbo277 wrote:I don't think Root should be in the T20 team, let alone captain of that format. Unless he develops the power game to keep up with others, he can put too much pressure on the other batsman.

You want to drop Joe root from the t20 team when he averages 40 at a strike rate of 130 in t20 international's and was one of if not the main reasons we got to the t20 world cup final?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 17 Feb 2017, 1:15 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
robbo277 wrote:I don't think Root should be in the T20 team, let alone captain of that format. Unless he develops the power game to keep up with others, he can put too much pressure on the other batsman.

You want to drop Joe root from the t20 team when he averages 40 at a strike rate of 130 in t20 international's and was one of if not the main reasons we got to the t20 world cup final?

I agree, this is absolute insanity, and seems to be based on one innings recent where he didn't bat fluently - he's very consistent in T20. Or do we want to drop him for someone who can hit the ball really hard straight into the hands of a boundary fielder - does anyone know what Luke Wright is up to these days?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 17 Feb 2017, 6:19 pm

Joe Root made 80, striking at 188, and top scored in a T20 game where we chased down 230odd. If he doesn't play T20s it will be nothing to do with his on field ability.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 18 Feb 2017, 9:36 pm

[quote="VTR"]Garbage is a bit strong! I'd love to see England win the World Cup - we have never won it so it would be nice to see. It's one of the few chances in cricket to take on all of the other teams and declare that you were the best.

I think it's fair to say England are half great, half garbage. On their day, you'd back the batting line up to chase down 350 (half great) - but mainly because our bowling attack seems unable to concede much less than that (half garbage). BIG changes needed in our attack, say I. I'm not convinced any of the current hopes can cut it. I'd like to see Roland-Jones, Rayner and Leach given a chance - and time - to make the step up, alongside one or even both of the Currans.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down