The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open - Day Eight

+5
Born Slippy
sirfredperry
Guest82
slashermcguirk
CaledonianCraig
9 posters

Go down

Australian Open - Day Eight Empty Australian Open - Day Eight

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:24 am

Fourth round continues with the following matches:-

Goffin V Thiem - Just fancy Thiem here to win in 4.

Nadal V Monfils - Nadal in straight sets.

Makarova V Konta - Konta to win in straight sets.

Dimitrov V Istomin - Dimitrov to win in 4.

Raonic V Bautista Agut - Raonic to win in 4.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Australian Open - Day Eight Empty Re: Australian Open - Day Eight

Post by slashermcguirk Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:30 am

A shame to see Istomin go out, he was right there after the first 2 sets today but they guy was cramping up and seemed to be unable to compete properly in sets 3 and 4. What a run for him though.

Good win by Goffin earlier, when I watch him it never looks like he really has any big weapons to hurt people but is just solid around the court. He can be nice to watch though.

Bautista giving Raonic a tough match at the moment. Bautista had a good lead in the first set tie break but somehow managed to lose it but won the 2nd set and on serve in the 3rd set. You would still expect Raonic to come through but its proving difficult

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:05 am

Ok, I think I jinxed Bautista ! I quickly refresh the scores and since my post at 4-4 in 3rd set, raonic has since won every single game and leads 5-0 in the 4th set

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:28 am

Think Raonic is a genuine contender here. I have him second favourite after Stan. He's been knocking on the door for a while, but found Djokovic and Murray too consistent. Of course, Federer was similar pre-injury.

Throw Rafa looking good again and Dimitrov looking like he might be ready and it's looking very interesting.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:55 am

I agree, this could be an interesting 2nd week at the oz open. Djokovic and Murray going out has really opened things up.

Its also unusual to be watching as a neutral now, part of me would like to see a new winner but I wouldn't be a big fan of Raonic's game style. I would have liked to see Nishikori win if anybody.

A Federer vs Nadal final could be interesting from the point of view that they haven't played in so long, particularly in a slam final. Both of them are a bit of an unknown and the Nadal forehand is not what it once was and that is the shot that used to hurt Federer.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind Wawrinka winning again, such a good player to watch when he is at his best. If Federer ends up playing wawrinka in the semis, that will be an incredibly tough match to predict a winner from

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:09 pm

This is such a poor match.

Two grinders just grinding. Monfils is too stupid to realise that he can't beat Rafa by just grinding - he's the king of grinders.

Winners/UEs stats are abysmal. Compare this to the Fed/Nishi match - it's like a different sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:09 pm

I don't particularly enjoy watching Raonic play, but I like him as a person and think he has a good attitude towards tennis. He's always improving.

It's so open now that I can make a strong case for 5 of the 8 (assuming Rafa finishes this match) winning it. Don't think M Zverev, Goffin or Tsonga will win it. Could easily see any of the others though.

Fed winning 18 is the dream scenario for me.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Monfils takes the third set so is two sets to one down against Rafa. Would still expect Rafa to come through.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:17 pm

I am going out on a limb here and calling Federer the winner of Australian Open 2017. Would never have said that at the start of the tournament but from what I have seen, the most likely scenario.

I really do think for once a Federer vs Nadal final would be very interesting to see, a little less predictable than their previous meetings given that Nadal has been non existent in majors over the past couple of years and not playing with the same confidence. It would surely be Federer's best chance against him and also the court is playing quicker than previous years

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Stan has looked pretty good since his first match - gone under the radar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Think Rafa beats Fed if they both make the final. Still not massively sure of how well he is playing...will find out against Raonic.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:49 pm

A Fed v Rafa final would be absolutely huge. If Rafa wins and moves to 15, with the French up next, suddenly 17 is under serious threat.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:51 pm

King Roger's mental woes against Nadal mean if they meet in the final the preceding 6 matches are irrelevant

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:19 pm

I agree that Nadal will always start as favourite against Federer if they meet. However, for once there is a real unknown with Nadal's play and the court seems to be playing a lot quicker than previous years. For me, that could neutralise the match up more than usual.

as you say though Jermaine, Nadal is certainly in Federer's head but it has been a long time since they met in a slam final..........2011!!! If anything, Federer has been far more impressive at the slams in the last couple of years. Only Djokovic has really stood in his way (with the exception of Stan in freak form the year he won the French).

This is why I think if they meet in the final this year, it could be a bit less predictable when you would have always gone for Nadal.

Hard to know with Stan, I haven't seen much of him but he is slipping under the radar again and we have seen in his slam victories that his best performance seem to come out when it matters most. However against Murray in the French open last year he was pretty woeful (though admittedly Murray played very well)

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:22 pm

It's boring because Monfils wanted to grind it out in the first two sets; he turned aggressive in the third and looked how the match became more exciting.

They met in 2014 AO and in that match, Rafa certainly wasn't a grinder, came out all guns blazing and gave Monfils a shellacking, giving Monfils only six games. The current Rafa wasn't able (yet) to play that way, probably a bit nervous when on the verge of reaching his first slam QF in two years.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:28 pm

what is wrong with Rafa's play?? even the pundits are saying that Rafa is showing strong signs of coming back to near his old form.. His performance this tournament would only have been every Rafa fans dream months ago.. not to mention that Jermaine is , for once, right.. Roger has often hinted that Rafa is his nemesis not least because he is a lefty... lets not forget one thing about Rafa.. he is a different animal over five sets and anything is possible for him. I wont put my neck on the line and say he will win this tournament... but bearing in mind he went out in the first round last year to Verdasco.. he is in with as good a chance as any.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:what is wrong with Rafa's play?? even the pundits are saying that Rafa is showing strong signs of coming back to near his old form.. His performance this tournament would only have been every Rafa fans dream months ago.. not to mention that Jermaine is , for once, right.. Roger has often hinted that Rafa is his nemesis not least because he is a lefty... lets not forget one thing about Rafa.. he is a different animal over five sets and anything is possible for him. I wont put my neck on the line and say he will win this tournament... but bearing in mind he went out in the first round last year to Verdasco.. he is in with as good a chance as any.

Don't think he is a different animal over five sets any more. Until he beat Zverev he had lost his last few.

He does appear to be playing well though, but I think we will learn a lot against Raonic.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:17 pm

And  when was the last time you can remember Rafa being capable of winning that match against Zevrev
I fear we will have to agree to disagree... Raonic beat Rafa over three sets in his last match  but that was then Rafa has come on a bit further since    and still leads the H 2 H not to mention Rafa is capable of handling big servers... this is a slam and yes we will have to see Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Zverev cramped in the 5th set didn't he? Understandable as he's only 19/20.

I think Rafa is playing well and give him a very good chance against Raonic. Just not sure he still has the same physical edge he used to have over five sets. To be honest, at his absolute peak he wasn't taken five that often.

I think if he beats Raonic then he wins the whole thing. Only a 'Stanimal' appearance could stop him.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:15 pm

I'd make Rafa favourite against Raonic. The key is he returns serve well. Do that enough against Raonic and chances will come your way.

PS If someone wishes to post up a thread for Day Nine matches please feel free.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:04 pm

I'd be surprised if Rafa lost to Raonic. Raonic could easily have been 2 sets down to RBA today, without RBA doing anything spectacular, and looked very poor.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:14 pm

So, Zverev/Thiem couldn't step up this year in an open draw.

Looking at the odds
http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/australian-open/mens/winner

Federer is the marginal favourite. Slightly surprised at that, however it's likely due to the fact that he has the easiest quarter final. In which case, he probably won't be favourite after the quarters  - perhaps equal favourite after the quarters but not outright favourite, not unless Stan loses.

Raonic's odds are rated as almost as good as Stan and Rafa, again a bit surprised there.

Of the last 10 grand slams, 2 were won by Stan Wawrinka, 8 were won by players no longer in the draw, and 0 were won by everyone else left in the draw. So, on that fact alone, I'd make Stan slight favourite. I may take him at 4-1 if I get around to it.

I haven't fancied Rafa the whole tournament but a possible SHBH finalist plays into his hands and it's a winnable semi if he can get through the quarter, so you never know. If someone plays their best again him, he'll lose, but will that happen.

Nice to see a tournament with Murray and Djokovic both exiting in the first week, definately gives us a different and interesting kind of tournament.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:06 am

Henman Bill wrote:So, Zverev/Thiem couldn't step up this year in an open draw.

Looking at the odds
http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/australian-open/mens/winner

Federer is the marginal favourite. Slightly surprised at that, however it's likely due to the fact that he has the easiest quarter final. In which case, he probably won't be favourite after the quarters  - perhaps equal favourite after the quarters but not outright favourite, not unless Stan loses.

Raonic's odds are rated as almost as good as Stan and Rafa, again a bit surprised there.

Of the last 10 grand slams, 2 were won by Stan Wawrinka, 8 were won by players no longer in the draw, and 0 were won by everyone else left in the draw. So, on that fact alone, I'd make Stan slight favourite. I may take him at 4-1 if I get around to it.

I haven't fancied Rafa the whole tournament but a possible SHBH finalist plays into his hands and it's a winnable semi if he can get through the quarter, so you never know. If someone plays their best again him, he'll lose, but will that happen.

Nice to see a tournament with Murray and Djokovic both exiting in the first week, definately gives us a different and interesting kind of tournament.

I didn't really think Rafa would win it, but make him favourite now. Thought Raonic would be a big test (he still might) but hearing he's had a cold this week and isn't playing very well. So expecting him to beat Raonic - then Goffin/Dimitrov - expect Dimitrov to win that and we all know about Rafa v SHBH.

Federer or Wawrinka in the final. It will take Stan in beast mode to stop him. We all know the result of Rafa v Fed, seen it many times. Might take the 4/1 on him.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down