The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Triple Crown

+11
carpet baboon
rodders
Cyril
Pot Hale
LondonTiger
Scottrf
GunsGermsV2
No9
munkian
beshocked
cascough
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Triple Crown - Page 2 Empty Triple Crown

Post by cascough Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:27 am

First topic message reminder :

So something I hadn't really considered until now (because I'm generally dismissive of the achievement), is that the triple crown will be affected by the new bonus points.

I've never liked the triple crown, for me it is a losers prize. It is not an indicator of success, therefore it's irrelevant. If you lose the championship but win the triple crown, so what? you lost the championship. If you win the triple crown and win the championship, you've won the championship, who cares about the triple crown!

For me, that it is theoretically possible to win the triple crown and still finish below all the nations in the triple crown tells you all you need to know about it. However this is obviously unlikely. With the introduction of bonus points this scenario is now a lot more plausible. Indeed at the very least, we could start to see an increase in the number of times a team wins the triple crown but doesn't finish ahead of all of the other home unions.

I'm not a fan of bonus points, nor the triple crown, but it does seem to me that they can't both exist in harmony.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Triple Crown - Page 2 Empty Re: Triple Crown

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:43 am

carpet baboon wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Brown, Hartley and Farrell lead the six nations in punchable faces just ahead of Sexton and Morgan Parra.

Liam Williams is surely in the top 5? Great player but I just can't look at him without wanting to slap him silly

Never really saw that in him to be honest though he is probably Wales' leading contender.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:44 am

The quality of this site is going down fast. I turn up for some over-intellectual chat on a crown that nobody gives a crap about and all I get is a discussion on top 10 punchable faces in rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:45 am

SecretFly wrote:The quality of this site is going down fast.  I turn up for some over-intellectual chat on a crown  that nobody gives a crap about and all I get is a discussion on  top 10 punchable faces in rugby.

What are you talking about this is quality chat.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:47 am

Here's the thing though - I'd bet Mike Hooper has by now punched the face of most of any top 10 list. He should have gotten a special award from World Rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:04 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:The quality of this site is going down fast.  I turn up for some over-intellectual chat on a crown  that nobody gives a crap about and all I get is a discussion on  top 10 punchable faces in rugby.

What are you talking about this is quality chat.

Laugh Laugh
King punchable face Peter Stringer will never lose the title...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 19 Jan 2017, 5:19 pm

Stringer has soaked up plenty of punches to the face already. Of all six nations sides England players definitely have the most slappable faces.

Sexton leads the charge for Ireland now followed by Rob Kearney.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 19 Jan 2017, 5:42 pm

There's a few people on here with the text equivalent of a punchable face.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 19 Jan 2017, 6:08 pm

England: Haskell - just too...tries too hard at the 'lad' stuff.  Don't mind Hartley or Aston at all, myself.  I'd say you could have some fun with them.
Wales:  Hmmm...thinking.  When in doubt, it's always a cocky 9, so I'll say Rhys Webb.  I'm sure I'm being unfair to him but can't think of anyone more suitable yet.
South Africa:  Habana.
New Zealand: Dan.  Just always appears sneery to me.  Could be very wrong but I'd only relent after the punch in the face to pay for past 'presumed' wrongdoing. Wink
Australia: strangely like them all.  They're Aussies ain't they, they get a cultural bye on the rough-as-f**k stuff, both verbal and physical.  Okay, so maybe Beale if driven to choose.
Ireland:  Finlay Bealham is developing into my go-to punch-in-the-face man; not because he's an Aussie but just that hairstyle upsets me.  If he keeps it up it extends to a kick-in-the-balls.
Scotland and France get off because I can't think of anyone yet.

606:  Probably that basterde ................................................ Whistle   No, I can't do it!  I want to remain on friendly terms with everyone, even though I know that's a laughable fantasy Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 19 Jan 2017, 10:13 pm

Slappable faces - and no mention of Biggar? The most slappable face since either of the chuckle brothers.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:21 pm

Ireland are no longer under the 'Crown' so including Ireland as a crown team to beat for a pre-partition title is actually disrespectful in the same way that the British Lions had to become the British and Irish Lions to assuage political correctness. It's ironic that the trophy actually came into being after the political correction of the Lions moniker, but totally hypocritical of any Irishman to brag about a triple crown and at the same time insist on the "and Irish" addition to the British Lions title.

The Triple Crown trophy should be scrapped as it is not only disrespectful to Ireland but also to France and Italy. It's continued existence reinforces the idea that they are just gatecrashers to an elite party of the old school already in full swing before they arrived.

It will be kept of course because there are probably a few pounds to be made from naming rights and the marketeers can potentially still make a loser seem successful to the gullible masses.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 20 Jan 2017, 7:51 am

The Great Aukster wrote:Ireland are no longer under the 'Crown' so including Ireland as a crown team to beat for a pre-partition title is actually disrespectful in the same way that the British Lions had to become the British and Irish Lions to assuage political correctness. It's ironic that the trophy actually came into being after the political correction of the Lions moniker, but totally hypocritical of any Irishman to brag about a triple crown and at the same time insist on the "and Irish" addition to the British Lions title.

The Triple Crown trophy should be scrapped as it is not only disrespectful to Ireland but also to France and Italy. It's continued existence reinforces the idea that they are just gatecrashers to an elite party of the old school already in full swing before they arrived.

It will be kept of course because there are probably a few pounds to be made from naming rights and the marketeers can potentially still make a loser seem successful to the gullible masses.

Is this like Pot hales home nations satirical post?
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:14 am

Breadvan wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Ireland are no longer under the 'Crown' so including Ireland as a crown team to beat for a pre-partition title is actually disrespectful in the same way that the British Lions had to become the British and Irish Lions to assuage political correctness. It's ironic that the trophy actually came into being after the political correction of the Lions moniker, but totally hypocritical of any Irishman to brag about a triple crown and at the same time insist on the "and Irish" addition to the British Lions title.

Is this like Pot hales home nations satirical post?

Id say so. I am an Irish republican and I dont care if its called the triple crown. There are a whole host of British remnants in Ireland. The RLNI, our post boxes painted green, Royal College of Surgeons, The Royal Dublin Society (where Leinster play), Royal Irish Academy, Royal Canal etc. etc....

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 20 Jan 2017, 9:15 am

The Great Aukster I can’t tell if you are joking or not.

If not then…. picard

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 20 Jan 2017, 10:12 am

Too right Aukster, it's as ridiculous the European champions cup.

The EPCR need to understand Brexit means Brexit.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 20 Jan 2017, 10:15 am

Laugh

There are dozens of Triple Crown awards in world sport.

I like Aukster knew that though...

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 20 Jan 2017, 11:57 am

The Unloved Crown?

At least that emotive name might make everyone shower it with love again.................. *ahem*...sorry. Don't mention the showers Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 20 Jan 2017, 12:27 pm

Ireland historically was a kingdom (and sometimes a few of them) so I've no problem with contesting for the Triple Crowns of Ireland, Scotland and England.

Carry on as you were.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2