The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher

+13
SmithersJones
robopz
GPB
Be_the_ball
MontysMerkin
super_realist
sirbenson
Shotrock
raycastleunited
McLaren
Davie
pedro
kwinigolfer
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Jan 2017, 7:16 pm

1).No silly, not the season-opener for the bloke that wanted to make Colin Montgomerie GREAT again, tweeting: "Colin . . . . so proud of you and your GREAT playing! You made winning MAJORS look easy!"

2).But the Happy New Year for 32 deserving chappies who tee it up this week on the drop-dead gorgeous Plantation Course at Kapalua in the "SBS Tournament of Champions". Unlike their compadres from the entertainment industry who mostly declined their invitation to perform in Washington DC in a few weeks, all the eligible Americans, and a few Internationals, will be on parade, the only six absentees being Garcia, McIlroy, Schwartzel, Scott, Stenson and Willett.

3).And that also means that Jason Day will return from his latest sabbatical, hopefully fit and healthy. It's probably a bit early to call him the Darren Anderton of the PGA Tour, but suffice to say the going price about Day withdrawing from a Tour event in the next two years is about even money. He'll be wearing a hat decorated with the Nike swoosh but sadly the possible wish that he might swoosh up his pace of play seems father to the thought:

4).According to Golf Channel, Day spent some of 2016 trying to speed up his game, but felt he got away from what makes him good. "If that means I have to back off five times, then I'm going to back off five times before I have to actually hit the shot."
It is somewhat depressing to note that the Tour doesn't penalise the first bad time, charges the culprit a stroke for a second bad time during a round, and dishes out a $5,000.00 fine for the second. Petty cash to most pros, and especially to Jason Day, who's surely too good a player to burden himself with questions about his dawdling rather than the clinic of great shots that he so often produces? Mike Dean would have him outathere, cooling his heels in the locker room at the merest hint of "deliberate" play.
Well worth checking veteran caddie Kip Henley's twitter account to see his take on this: @KipHenley. Spot on, I'd say.

5).With Garcia (who's a past Champion here, beating today's 50th birthday boy David Toms in a play-off), McIlroy, Stenson and Willett sitting this one out, Russell Knox is the only European entered. He'll be looking to be the first European winner here since Daniel Chopra - remember him and his hair?

6).But there's a strong field of Americans with Dustin, Bubba, Spieth, Reed, Snedeker, Walker, Ryan Moore, Justin Thomas and Dufner leading the way. Various degrees of interest in most of them, especially to see which Jordan Spieth turns up - he spreadeagled the field last year, putting superbly and beating Reed by 8 strokes. Others that I'll be interested in include Badds and Jimmy Walker.

7).David Toms was mentioned here last week as a likely debutant on the Champions Tour, though he'll surely play a few PGA Tour stops as well. Good for him, but it's curious to note that Bob Estes, almost 51, recovered from injury and carrying a 21-event "Major Medical Extension" for 2017 plans to play close to a full Tour schedule. He's earned that, but he's miserable to follow and taking the place of a youngster; nothing personal, Bob, but hope a few missed cuts send you to the Champers Tour.

8).Stories in the press about Wayne Westner's suicide in South Africa. Westner won twice on the European Tour, retiring after failing to recover from a 1998 on-course accident in Madeira. He didn't play much in the US, but there used to be a very mini mini-Tour event, the Genny Open, in NYS and a load of friends of mine, and possibly Shotrock as well, were playing at Higby Hills when Westner won. Demons have been chasing him for years, not necessarily because of drinking too much Genny, but this is a sad end for someone who won the 1996 World Cup in tandem with Ernie Els.

9).The Tour visits Honolulu next week, then the old Bob Hope event in the Californian desert, San Diego (with Phil, but possibly Tiger as well), Phoenix, Pebble Beach and Riviera before heading to Florida in late February. By that time the season will be more than 25% done.
The hottest player in late 2016 was Hideki Matsuyama; he's in this week's field and defends in a few weeks in Phoenix. He's the hottest player, is he close to being the best?

10).QUIZ! After robo's interesting piece about cuts made, one player who doesn't currently pretend to be the best has the longest streak of owgr points made. Who is he?

n.b.: The web.com season starts next week, in The Bahamas on Sunday. We'll be following that on this thread.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro Wed 04 Jan 2017, 7:30 pm

Cheers kwini
10) Grillo?

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 04 Jan 2017, 7:52 pm

pedro,
You almost hit the jackpot: Grillo has the second most tournaments played with owgr points earned, at 18.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 04 Jan 2017, 8:17 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:the only six absentees being Garcia, McIlroy, Schwartzel, Scott, Stenson and Willett.

A fairly illustrious six absentees though. A pretty strong field of merkins but those six "onlys" certainly dilute the field

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 04 Jan 2017, 11:49 pm

Tiger playing Honda apparently.

Kwini

Great start to the year, nice article. Very Happy
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 05 Jan 2017, 12:02 am

kwinigolfer wrote:pedro,
You almost hit the jackpot: Grillo has the second most tournaments played with owgr points earned, at 18.
Kaymer?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:31 am

Tres bien pedro! clap clap clap thumbsup
I think that's a pretty neat stat: 20 on the trot and he's hardly moved a place in the rankings!

mac,
Still no word on Woods playing San Diego . . . . . . . EDIT: Ah Ha! See what happens when you leave the golf pages. San Diego, Riviera, Honda it is, with the inference that there are now appearance fee bonanzas to tempt him away.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 05 Jan 2017, 10:23 am

Great article Kwini, starting 2017 with style.

It's a shame that Garcia, McIlroy, Schwartzel, Scott, Stenson and Willett will be missing, as they would provide a lot of interest to us European viewers. I suppose it depends on where they spent Christmas / New Year. No direct flights from Europe to Hawaii. If Stenson was in Sweden for example, he would be looking at 3 or even 4 flights to get to Maui, then a huge time difference to get the body clock adjusted. A lot of effort. Less so for those already based in the US.

For Willett on the other hand, I would have thought the effort was worth it: Generous ranking points and prize money on offer, his first time at the top table getting invitations to this sort of tournament, probably his only time as well if he continues his form of the last 8 months.

I have a soft spot for this tournament. The most spectacular course on tour, with some of the most dramatic holes in golf. Watching golf in a tropical paradise makes me feel a bit brighter during the cold, dark miserable post-Christmas slump that is January. Plus I played the course on my honeymoon so it jogs some happy memories.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Jan 2017, 11:49 am

Cheers ray,
Agree about Willett, he's really in the same situation that Lowry was in last year, except that Willett hasn't really demonstrated he's "all in" with playing the PGA Tour. His plans going forward will be interesting to follow.

I wonder if Mrs castleunited rode in a Kapalua golf cart with you? Worth it just for the spectacular views; from a playing point of view, having to take a cart (out of necessity because of the terrain) was about the only drawback to a fabulous experience!

Can't wait for the action to get underway.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

Have been fed up with all the will-he, won't-he speculation about Woods, but his schedule for the next two months will be testing for him:

Jan 26th - 29th: San Diego
Feb 2nd - 5th: Dubai
Feb 16th - 19th: Riviera
Feb 23rd - 26th: Honda

That lot should show everyone, him included, where he stands, what the future might hold. Put up or shut up time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 05 Jan 2017, 1:30 pm

You wouldn't catch Mrs Ray on a golf course, the spa is her natural habitat (which cost more than the green fee). I normally hate using a buggy, but Kapalua and Finca Cortesin are the only times where I have to concede they are necessary.

Some great photos from the pro-am on instagram / facebook.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:24 pm

I'm guessing Willet's only concern this winter is preparation for his Master's title defense. Given what I've seen of him the second half of last year, I would not bet on him.

Tiger 4 tournaments in a month? Suspect he will miss the cut in two of those, so it may not be that much golf!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Jan 2017, 2:54 pm

Sr,
That's OK, You wouldn't have "bet on him" (Willett) last year either . . . . .

Did you see my note 8). above? You must remember those days!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 05 Jan 2017, 3:06 pm

You're right on that Kwin. I would NOT have bet on him last year. Nor would I have be on Todd Hamilton, Ben Curtis, etc.

Yes, used to follow and attend the Genny Open. Great times!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Jan 2017, 3:19 pm

I think Danny Willett came in with better credentials than those two! Although Hamilton's record was actually quite decent, just not Major decent.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 05 Jan 2017, 5:07 pm

Another great article Kwini... thumbsup

And interesting Tiger Woods schedule... 4 events in 5 weeks seems aggressive enough to suggest at least he thinks his back issues are "behind" him. Hope that's the case.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 05 Jan 2017, 8:51 pm

Happy New Year all!

Here is to a great year of golf!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Jan 2017, 8:56 pm

You too sirb,
Thanks for posting the ET thread . . . . . . .

A bit more excited when the TOC begins that I am for the Safeway, I must admit.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 05 Jan 2017, 9:32 pm

No problem Kwini and I agree this feels more like the start of the new golfing season!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Jan 2017, 1:50 pm

I posted earlier this week that Jimmy Walker was fantastic value at 25's this week and, for Round 1 at least, he's looking good.
According to Golf Channel he's now 105 under par in Tour events in Hawaii since the start of 2014.

Last year Spieth won with a -30 total. After Round 1's one-under-par 72, that means he needs to shred Kapalua at -29 over his final 54 holes to match last year's effort.

And: Davis Love celebrated his Ryder Cup success by going snowboarding. Now he's recovering from a surgically repaired collarbone after breaking it in three places. That's a shame, a terrible shame. Stay in the bar Darren, you'll be safe there.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 06 Jan 2017, 1:53 pm

Jim Furyk 2018 Ryder Cup captain it sounds like?

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Jan 2017, 1:59 pm

I've seen some of that robo, but can't distill the wheat from the chaff. Odds on now I think, have you been investing?!?
And: Has Stricker been given the nod for 2020 as many are suggesting? Not sure he'd want it, seems a low-key Presidents Cup is just his speed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 06 Jan 2017, 2:30 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I've seen some of that robo, but can't distill the wheat from the chaff. Odds on now I think, have you been investing?!?
And: Has Stricker been given the nod for 2020 as many are suggesting? Not sure he'd want it, seems a low-key Presidents Cup is just his speed.
Yeah... I'm not sure if anyone really knows. I tend to agree with you that Stricker seems a better PC fit... but I dunno about such things. Seems to me the most important aspect of being RC captain for the U.S. is to have somebody who'll ensure Phil gets his way... then all's good.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Jan 2017, 2:46 pm

In that case Phil would be playing captain for the next 20 years.

As for Stricker, at least hunn'in' is usually safer than snowboarding. Though the results of an accident may be more severe. And I don't mean falling out of a tree.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:11 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:As for Stricker, at least hunn'in' is usually safer than snowboarding....
Snow sports including skiing (waterskiing too) and golf don't seem to mix so well. I'm ALL for guys having a life and perusing other activities outside golf... I just hate to see them risk their careers on ski's or snowboards or anything that is known to have high injury risks.

I'm convinced it was that knee injury on the water (skiing or tubing or whatever) that pretty much undid Ernie Els career. He was never really the same after. Same with Paul Casey and his snowboard injury. I know he had other personal issues, but IMO the shoulder injury is the biggest factor in his declining play half a decade back. It's taken 5 years for Paul to get back close to what he was before the injury.

Not that guys can't get hurt doing anything, like Rory with his football/ankle injury. But IMO Rory's was more just bad luck as I don't suspect injuries like his are all that common in a "kickabout" with buds.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:36 pm

Like everything, the risk is only high if you're not very good at it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:46 pm

Something entirely different: Anyone else think Jason Day looked ridiculous in that silly collarless shirt at Kapalua? He looked like an extra from some 1980's US sitcom.
Nike really do design utter crap.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:48 pm

Snow sports are still defined as extreme sports. There is a high risk of injury for all levels, apart from soops who is just great.
And judging by the snow in Courchevel I think I may better off taking my golf clubs than snowboard....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 06 Jan 2017, 3:54 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Something entirely different: Anyone else think Jason Day looked ridiculous in that silly collarless shirt at Kapalua? He looked like an extra from some 1980's US sitcom.
Ridiculous? Not really. This is ridiculous:
PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher Golf-poulter_1513569i_display_imagePGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher 5b640c8c6068bd49e5b1e1ed21b08f7fPGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher PlaidPGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher C9c114da74deee1555382494db513d55
Perhaps you would prefer: PGA Tour: 2017 Part of the 16/17 Season, The Inauguration: Notes from the Ballwasher Bfa4622aaf693acbdab104921e6731da
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 06 Jan 2017, 4:10 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Snow sports are still defined as extreme sports. There is a high risk of injury for all levels, apart from soops who is just great.
And judging by the snow in Courchevel I think I may better off taking my golf clubs than snowboard....

Come on now, if you aren't experienced in anything that involves speed or movement, then it's a lot more risky than if you are.

For example, if you've been driving for 10 years, the risk of you having an accident are considerably lower than if you've been driving for a day.

If you're a competent skier or boarder you should be easily able to stay within your limits and not have an accident during a week.
There's always a risk, but it's minimal.
If however, you've never skied before, the risk of you having an accident is much much higher.

Good luck with the Ruskies in Courchevel Monty, I hope you're taking lots of money with you, because it's fiendishly expensive there.

Risks come with everything, and if I was a pro golfer, I probably wouldn't take up hang-gliding or rock climbing in my off season, but if you're very good at something like skiing or boarding, the risk is minimal and worth taking.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 06 Jan 2017, 5:01 pm

Great article for the start of the new year Kwini, if not the start of the golfing season!! Great shout re Jimmy Walker certainly looking sharpest of the lot so far, but I have to admit I have no time for Badds, he reminds me of Kieron Dyer, always "going" to be a great player... I agree about sick note Day, definitely a touch of the Andertons about him, he always seems to have some drama going on. He's a great golfer but seems to double over at the first sign of anything. He's no Terry Butcher, lets be honest!
I'm not too surprised to see so many Euro's give Kapalua a skip, beautiful as it is it's just too far away and too close to the Christmas holidays. Good to see Russell Knox playing all the same, he comes across as such a likeable bloke, no frills and plenty of talent. Plus he didn't spoil the party at the 2016 Irish Open!

I only heard about Wayne Westner today, sad to hear about it.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Jan 2017, 5:28 pm

My take on Badds is that I really enjoy following him, always seems to respond to the "gallery", in good times and badd. One of the first tee-times I look for if he's playing an event I'm at. Plus he's a fabulous putter so I like him as a longshot on those huge greens. But never likely to be the player his amateur career suggested.
Didn't Dyer and Bowyer have a fight when they were both playing for Newcastle? No sign of Badds going that far, maybe deck his caddie. Yet.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 06 Jan 2017, 5:42 pm

Fair enough Kwini, i've never seen him play live so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on him. I probably should blame the media for hyping him up too much at a certain point a few years back, he and CHIII were billed as the next big things, World beaters that were the future of Golf, never really materialised for them. Im just a bit jaded with those two...

Yeah Dyer and Bowyer came to blows alright, now that was nuts! Badds and Ernie battled it out for The Sony Open a few years back, thankfully no punches were thrown on that occasion though!!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 06 Jan 2017, 6:17 pm

Yup, the Press does get carried away. Badds also has very weird hair, looks like he hasn't showered for a couple of weeks. Smart to wear a cap.
CHIII has a great sense of humour, well worth the waste of anyone's time to listen to him on podcasts, especially the NoLayingUp guy. Who'd've thunk it?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:13 am

Spieth-Hideki-Walker-Berger-Thomas among the notables in Honolulu next week.

Casey-Kjeldson-Knox-Gonzo among the notable Euros

Preliminary field only goes 24 players deep for the Webbies.

Edit: Holy Guacamole, Justin Rose is in the Sony Open field.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:42 am

Spieth in the Kapalua clubhouse with a four-under-par round including NINE birdies and no bogeys. But a double and a triple.
Needs to go -25 over the weekend to match his winning total last year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:48 am

I can't warm to Hideki, wouldn't like to see him win this week TBH. I am however a big fan of Spieth, but talk about shooting yourself in the foot, all the damage done on 2 holes. He currently isn't looking like the consummate putter that he is.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 07 Jan 2017, 1:08 am

Didn't the commentators mention that Badds has his 5th child on the way? Regardless, with 4 little 'uns I don't blame him for not fulfilling his potential.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat 07 Jan 2017, 1:23 am

super_realist wrote:Like everything, the risk is only high if you're not very good at it.

Yeah, because (the original, fat) Ronaldo got those knee injuries because he was rubbish at football. Surely it's all about the amount you do it and the level of commitment?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat 07 Jan 2017, 1:30 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
As for Stricker, at least hunn'in' is usually safer than snowboarding.

Unless he goes hunting with Dick Cheney

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat 07 Jan 2017, 1:38 am

I need to go to bed. But I'm enjoying the golf too much.

Jimmy Walker old school driving, keeping it so low with his short shafted driver... underneath a basketball hoop apparently. So different to the big high flight we've become used to seeing from the top pros.

Is Day's grey/white clothing combo satisfactory today? Can you wear trousers and shoes in the same shade of grey? There are another 49 shades he could have chosen.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 07 Jan 2017, 1:50 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Something entirely different: Anyone else think Jason Day looked ridiculous in that silly collarless shirt at Kapalua? He looked like an extra from some 1980's US sitcom.
I don't care for it... but no, not ridiculous.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 07 Jan 2017, 1:52 am

J-Day would probably get an STD if he tried another shade of gray.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 07 Jan 2017, 2:14 am

Sergio and former Golf Channel Reporter Angela Akins have announced their engagement.

The Happy Couple:

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 07 Jan 2017, 2:17 am

Day looks fine toDay, but yesterDay was a horror outfit.

Hate to see Cheney's name on here (unless it's his obit) ray, but clap thumbsup

Jimmy Walker needs to make some putts . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 07 Jan 2017, 12:46 pm

GPB wrote:Spieth-Hideki-Walker-Berger-Thomas among the notables in Honolulu next week.

Casey-Kjeldson-Knox-Gonzo among the notable Euros

Preliminary field only goes 24 players deep for the Webbies.

Edit:  Holy Guacamole, Justin Rose is in the Sony Open field.

Not sure what the owgr strength of field is for this lot, but can't recall a stronger field for the SONY. Casey & Rosey are surprises though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 07 Jan 2017, 2:15 pm

Casey played the Sony in 2015. Rose probably thought it was a good time to fulfill his "new tournament" PGAT obligation.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 07 Jan 2017, 2:36 pm

Good point on the "new tournament" thingy; we'll see different faces in different places a few times this year. Healthy for all.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 07 Jan 2017, 4:04 pm

Looks like the Sony will be rated either 50 or 52, assuming no key WDs. Last year Sony was rated 46.

Sony will be a "new" tournament for Spieth as well.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 07 Jan 2017, 4:15 pm

What's the criteria for "new" tournaments? Is it a 3-year absence? Spieth has certainly been there recently, missed cut in '14.

One notable absentee is Tim Clark; hasn't played for almost a year but has a fine record at Waialae with a couple of runner-ups. Is this the end for Timmy?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next