The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Ali Book

5 posters

Go down

New Ali Book Empty New Ali Book

Post by Pedro147 Wed 23 Nov 2016, 5:16 pm

There's a new book by Dave Hannigan about Ali's last ever fight against Trevor Berbick - dubbed the Drama in the Bahamas. The author was on Irish radio last night (will provide the link). Seems like a really interesting story, although very sad, background to the fight. Discusses how Ali's doctor throughout his career Ferdie Pacheco has left the camp as he didn't agree with Ali fighting anymore as he knew how his health was suffering. Interview is about 15 minutes long. Just posting as it's Christmas coming up so it's possibly a good present to receive or give to someone. I've just ordered the book myself.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Highlights_from_Off_The_Ball/167732/Drama_in_the_Bahamas__Muhammad_Alis_last_fight

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

New Ali Book Empty Re: New Ali Book

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Nov 2016, 5:25 pm

I have tea many Ali books. Hauser probably wrote my favourite.

Unforgivable blackness will always be my favourite boxing book and to round up a top 3, I liked hands of stone.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm

What in the name of hell does anyone still find to say in an Ali book that has not already been said countless times in one form or another? Buy Hauser, buy David Remnick and then buy Mark Kram for the contradictory view and then never buy another Ali book ever again.

I have a friend in America who buys and sells boxing books and owns literally thousands, he told me once without making any conscious effort to collect them he had over 150 on Ali. Why any author would feel the need to add to that number is completely beyond me. There are in excess of 200 books available about Ali and not one book easily available on either Henry Armstrong or Benny Leonard, a ridiculous state of affairs.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:06 pm

The name Ali sells. I guess it's iconic and he is probably the biggest face of the 20th century. Well at least as far as sports are concerned.

However as you say, is there going to be anything we haven't heard or read before?

In my opinion I don't mind reading different accounts, as long as the material is good.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:12 pm

I just think there are over 100 years of boxing history containing so many great fights, fighters and stories. I buy and read a shedload of boxing books and there are countless fighters I know nothing about, there are truly great fighters who don't have books about them published. How there is still a market for Ali books or that writers still believe they have something new to offer on the topic is just beyond my comprehension.

As an example Bob Mee wrote a book a few years ago called Ali and Liston, it was a perfectly good book written by an excellent historian and writer, but it was pretty much a rehash of David Remnick's brilliant King Of the World, which was an is still readily available. What's the point?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:16 pm

Rowley wrote:I just think there are over 100 years of boxing history containing so many great fights, fighters and stories. I buy and read a shedload of boxing books and there are countless fighters I know nothing about, there are truly great fighters who don't have books about them published. How there is still a market for Ali books or that writers still believe they have something new to offer on the topic is just beyond my comprehension.

As an example Bob Mee wrote a book a few years ago called Ali and Liston, it was a perfectly good book written by an excellent historian and writer, but it was pretty much a rehash of David Remnick's brilliant King Of the World, which was an is still readily available. What's the point?
MONEY!

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 26 Nov 2016, 6:22 pm

Clever Trevor was an interesting subject......Maybe someone should write a book on him..

Brawling with Holmes on the street..

Telling Holmes Mrs he'd been banging waitresses at a press conference..

Jamaican..Canadian..Commonwealth and World champion..

One of the few heavies to outwit Don King before his fight with Tyson..

Preacher that went to prison..

Pulled off the 2nd biggest heavy shock in years...3/1 v Pinky..

Only guy to fight Holmes..Tyson and Ali.

Kicked out of Canada..

Murdered by his nephew..

Maybe Chris could write a bio when he's finished Emile..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 26 Nov 2016, 6:52 pm

I would happily read more books on jorneymen, or boxing trainers. Plenty of crazy guys out there, that probably have a great story.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down