The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

+51
Hammersmith harrier
Atila
Derbymanc
catchweight
BoxingFan88
Mad for Chelsea
Kareem61
Dylan1979
djlovesyou
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
qc2
lfc91
aja424
hogey
AZZJ44
rapidringsroad
Volcanicash
kingraf
wheelchair1991
mikeymax71
Lance
Dipper Brown
JabMachineMK2
Guest82
ShahenshahG
owen10ozzy
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
Haito
Valero's Conscience
Inventing Johnson Klute
TRUSSMAN66
Coxy001
Basset
Baby faced assassin
EX7EY
Rowley
Qoxiivi
melv500
sittingringside
88Chris05
Mochyn du
compelling and rich
horizontalhero
Jermaine2015
Herman Jaeger
Pedro147
Rodney
bhb001
Mr Bounce
55 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 2 Empty Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by Rowley Tue 15 Nov 2016, 6:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

I can’t let a fight as big as this weekend pass without a thread asking for folks thoughts. For me this is one of those odd fights that I am looking forward to enormously but suspect might well fail to ignite. I suspect intriguing rather than exciting may accurately describe it. Got to say since this has been announced I have been picking Ward. I rate both of them highly but just think Ward is a special talent, a lot more rounded and like Mayweather one with an exceptional ability to shut opponents down and neutralise them.

That being said Kovalev is no underdog or no hoper, this is a genuinely close fight, and one in which you can make an argument either way. Whilst people rightly wax lyrical about Kovalev’s power his boxing ability should not be underplayed, few since Jones have solved the numerous riddles Hopkins poses so effectively. Also he is a natural big hitting light heavy, something Ward has never faced, whilst his defence has always looked solid at super middle he is not completely unhittable. Froch had his moments where he was able to land, so one would assume Sergey will be able to do likewise. How Ward stands up to that is one of the big questions in this one.

Also whilst Ward is hardly an old man his career post Super six has had more stops and starts than me attempting to run a marathon. Being in the ring with Kovalev would not be a place I would want to be blowing off a dose of ring rust. Despite that, I still think Ward will be victorious, he is smart at tying up/holding on the inside and fast enough that he will score with plenty when the fight is at range. If the ref is pretty easy going when it comes to his holding inside, and thus far he has tended to get away with it, I think he will secure the win on points.

All of this almost certainly guarantees you can put your house on Kovalev, but irrespective of the outcome I cannot wait for this fight. A genuine talent moving up to take on the best the division above him has to offer, this is the sort of fight the sport needs more of.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by AdamT Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:11 pm

I think Ward is going to surprise us. He will be rugged, but I think he will show flashes of brilliance. Watch the uppercut from the clinch. I can see Ward using this shot as well as working the body in close.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ward vs Kovalev - Who've you got?

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:12 pm

If he goes into survival mode though how does he do enough to win on points?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:14 pm

AdamT wrote:I think Ward is going to surprise us. He will be rugged, but I think he will show flashes of brilliance. Watch the uppercut from the clinch. I can see Ward using this shot as well as working the body in close.

I think Sergy will be doing the damage from the clinches that's where I disagree the first boxer Ward will have faced he can't maul inside Sergy's really a small cruiser

Last edited by Herman Jaeger on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:20 pm

As I say, wait and see.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:25 pm

I'd be amazed if Ward got the better of Sergy on the inside but no one has yet to get the better of Ward either on the inside..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:26 pm

I think he will do it. I have a lot of faith in Wards abilities. Kovalev is no mug, but he is beatable.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:30 pm

Great fight no wonder so close in the betting

'It's not very often that a fight in Las Vegas that's this significant is this close in terms of odds' said Jay Rood, Vice President of Race & Sports for MGM Resorts International

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:32 pm

It is a genuine 50/50 fight for many. I think Ward is better, but it wouldn't be the surprise of the Century if Sergey can pull it off.

I just hope this fight does good business and many watch it. It would be good for the sport if this fight has some drama.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:35 pm

It won't do the numbers that a fight of this quality deserves but I'm hoping it does well

Ward favourite but only by a nose he was -150 last month:

https://sports.paddypower.mobi/#sport/15/Popular

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:58 pm

Even 200k would be ok. It can reach a wide audience in Europe.

The numbers of boxing have fell way behind UFC. I guess the UFC don't pay a lot of their champions that much, so they can get away with stacking their cards with title fights.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 17 Nov 2016, 1:15 pm

Ward hasn't been in many exciting fights. It may be a good for boxing thing that it doesn't reach a wider audience!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Thu 17 Nov 2016, 2:04 pm

Echoing what others have said, I just can't back against Ward with his class and pedigree. Kovalev is an absolute train, and he can box too, but I think he could be smothered here. I think a lot of this fight will be decided by S&C, as I expect a lot of work up close at a decent tempo with plenty of wrestling, mostly instigated by Ward.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 17 Nov 2016, 3:39 pm

The best thing, for the fans anyway, would be for Kovalev to knock Ward down early. It'll mean that he won't be able to spoil and will have to open up a little more.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Thu 17 Nov 2016, 4:08 pm

I know this is pathetic of me I actually think this could be a draw. Its so hard to call and both have strengths the other hasn’t. Ward is a very good boxer and very awkward. I think he will make it tough for Kov to land clean and even if he does it may be hard to follow up with other shots. Bearing that in mind I can see Ward out boxing Kov but Ward may suffer a knockdown or two without Kov being able to capitalise

If backed in to a corner though I am going with my first instinct and that is Kov mid to late KO. He’s the natural at the weight, been there longer and has undeniable power which will be the difference if one of them is to win. But I think a draw is on the cards.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Thu 17 Nov 2016, 4:32 pm

I want Kovalev to win, but I think Ward will put on a clinic, like he usually does.

Think there may well be some hairy moments but that, by and large, Kovalev's constant pressure will be met with sublime defence, movement and counter-punches. And maybe a few headbutts.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 17 Nov 2016, 6:27 pm

Bloody hell, you know it's a big fight when Qoxiivi surfaces. It gets much bigger we'll have the captains thoughts before long.

Good to see you back pal.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 17 Nov 2016, 8:47 pm

This is a toughie. But I'll stick with Kovalev. He's a good boxer himself, maybe not in Ward's class, but he's still good and he has power.

Kovalev by late stoppage.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 17 Nov 2016, 9:15 pm

This fight won't be boring during the fight, it might be if you watched a replay

You always have that feeling it can end at any moment with one shot, especially with Kovalev in there

I didn't find Fury vs Wlad boring at all, because I knew if one of them landed a bomb it could be curtains (More Wlad than Fury)

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 17 Nov 2016, 9:24 pm

If we're talking about a Rigondeaux that might be the case but when it comes to Ward if he's cruise control I couldn't envisage one shot ending it, there's certain boxers who when winning look unbeatable.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Fri 18 Nov 2016, 9:26 am

Anyone know roughly what time this fight will be live on Sky?

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Fri 18 Nov 2016, 10:13 am

Tbf I view this fight a lot like Rigondeux vs Donaire, although I expect it to be better

Kovalrv like Donaire is a sound boxer but his real game is their power, but Rigondeux and ward are just that class above I feel

If Kovalrv lands cleanly which he should it'll be interesting to see how Ward takes it but I feel Ward is just a little too smart FOR Kovalrv

Toght UD in the range of 115-113 to Ward but generally deserved
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 18 Nov 2016, 10:23 am

I'm thinking it will be 116-112 or there about. Maybe 117-111!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Nov 2016, 10:40 am

EX7EY wrote:Anyone know roughly what time this fight will be live on Sky?

It's vegas, so probably about 4am ish

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 18 Nov 2016, 10:42 am

Can't wait for this. Won't be a classic, but it will still be exciting to see two top guys fighting.

Just hope Ward gets some respect after he wins. No doubt many will be on here with their backhand compliments like, 'Ward is good, but dirty and dull.'

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 18 Nov 2016, 10:53 am

AdamT wrote:Can't wait for this. Won't be a classic, but it will still be exciting to see two top guys fighting.

Just hope Ward gets some respect after he wins. No doubt many will be on here with their backhand compliments like, 'Ward is good, but dirty and dull.'

Only if he's good, dirty and dull.

People would like nothing better than for him to be good and exciting, I'm sure.

I see he's drafted in Mackie Shilstone - conditioner who helped make Jones into a heavyweight. Expecting to see him looking positively anabolic on the scales!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 18 Nov 2016, 10:55 am

Baby faced assassin wrote:Tbf I view this fight a lot like Rigondeux vs Donaire, although I expect it to be better

Kovalrv like Donaire is a sound boxer but his real game is their power, but Rigondeux and ward are just that class above I feel

If Kovalrv lands cleanly which he should it'll be interesting to see how Ward takes it but I feel Ward is just a little too smart FOR Kovalrv

Toght UD in the range of 115-113 to Ward but generally deserved

Donaire was never the same boxer after becoming a Dad (either that or entering VADA 365 day testing). Kovalev here is in the form of his life.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:03 am

hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:Can't wait for this. Won't be a classic, but it will still be exciting to see two top guys fighting.

People would like nothing better than for him to be good and exciting, I'm sure.

I see he's drafted in Mackie Shilstone - conditioner who helped make Jones into a heavyweight. Expecting to see him looking positively anabolic on the scales!

Least the guy fights and beats real fighters.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:05 am

hazharrison wrote:

You seem obsessed with anabolics. I take it you're likely juiced up yourself and want to believe everyone is as shallow as you?

Random guess I know. Just a little weird why you accuse every boxer you don't like of being a druggie.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:18 am

AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

You seem obsessed with anabolics. I take it you're likely juiced up yourself and want to believe everyone is as shallow as you?

Random guess I know. Just a little weird why you accuse every boxer you don't like of being a druggie.

Ah, gad, you got me again. You're like 606v2 Columbo. The forum's own Derek Acorah.

Thankfully I got a retrospective TUE, which allows me to make a comment that suggests Ward will look big and bulky at today's weigh in.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:18 am

You're full of dung mate.

To be honest Haz, I have no problem of accusations. Jut be consistent. You never accuse fighters you like. It's always the guys you have beef with.

Anyway I can't wait to see you talk balls after Ward puts on a clinic. Have a good day Cool

Last edited by AdamT on Fri 18 Nov 2016, 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Basset Fri 18 Nov 2016, 1:24 pm

I think this Ward will win this could be a similar fight to when he fought Froch

Basset

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 18 Nov 2016, 5:33 pm

Kovalev batters the most overhyped tw@t in boxing.

Gonna be embarrassing for Ward fans.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Nov 2016, 5:42 pm

Derbymanc wrote:I think it'll be better than expected but a Ward win viad UD. Think Kov will come out all guns blazing for the first 3, Ward will settle into a rhythm before Kov goes looking for the KO in the last few rounds as he'll know he's behind

Moving it on...

Not sure how good Kovalev is Derby.. .Cleverley being his best win..

If he is one dimensional..Ward wins...Maybe in a stinker...

Think Kovalev has a bit more to him though and with the added weight wins late..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 18 Nov 2016, 6:40 pm

Coxy I hope you're on after the fight lol

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Inventing Johnson Klute Fri 18 Nov 2016, 6:57 pm

Personally i think Kovalev is vastly underrated in the technical department and that Ward is a touch overrated in this respect. Ward relies very heavily on speed for me and he is the fastest big man since RJJ. A lot of Kovalevs work is set up with movement and feints, tempting his opponent to fire back just at exactly the time Kov wants him too. Ward is primarily a straight in and out fighter, with hand speed dictating his fights. That said, his hand speed is terrific and it will probably be the telling factor here. Should be a great fight tho and id be surprised if it does stagnate as i cant see Kov running away with it and u get the feeling that he will have a go if well behind. Still Ward to nick it on points for me, but only just.

Inventing Johnson Klute

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Nov 2016, 7:06 pm

IJK......This thread is seeing some old timers...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Nov 2016, 9:32 pm

Indeed we're honoured. It's almost as if some people would rather talk about a top class competitive fight than bicker about Floyd mayweather's historical standing...

Hard though such a thing is to believe

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Nov 2016, 9:46 pm

Sarcasm and not irony I hope..

I don't get irony..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Sat 19 Nov 2016, 2:01 pm

I have it 60/40 in favour of Ward. Can only see Ward winning a decision. Kovalev is no slouch in skill but Ward undeniably more skilled.

I see Ward having 1-2 scary moments but winning a close but clear points win.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 19 Nov 2016, 2:47 pm

Ward has hardened with Paddy Power by the slimmest of margins from 5/6 overnight to 3/4, Sergy out to 5/4 from 11/10 overnight

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 19 Nov 2016, 3:27 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/video-john-david-jackson-breaks-down-kovalev-ward-clash--110891

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Sat 19 Nov 2016, 6:01 pm

Really looking forward to this fight, Hoping it delivers some exciting rounds!. If Kovalev gets at Ward early, unsettles and rattles him it could really open up the fight and make it very interesting. However I am leaning towards Ward for the win. Think he will use his superior accuracy, speed and ring smarts to frustrate Kovalev, make him miss and nick a points win.

Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Sat 19 Nov 2016, 8:11 pm

I have kosnovsky to ko warne at the end of 4th

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 19 Nov 2016, 11:06 pm

Guys coming from the sunny Caribbean here please tell me what channel to watch Ward v Kov NOT STREAMING channel

cheers

PS: sorry I have been gone for a while

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 19 Nov 2016, 11:26 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Guys coming from the sunny Caribbean here please tell me what channel to watch Ward v Kov NOT STREAMING channel

cheers

PS: sorry I have been gone for a while
Good to have you back. OK
Where in the Caribbean did you go?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 19 Nov 2016, 11:35 pm

Currently in Trinidad and Tobago

missed you guys

do you know is Ward v Kovalev on SKY SPORTS

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 19 Nov 2016, 11:46 pm

Yes, it's on Sky Sports.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/tv-guide/20-11-2016

I've been to Trinidad. Stayed in Port of Spain and St Margaret's Village near San Fernando.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 20 Nov 2016, 12:12 am

CHEERS ATILA

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 20 Nov 2016, 4:28 am

Disgusting decision against Perez, keep trying to keep a interest in this bent sport but why f£&@ing bother. The promoters have the winner before it starts. Used to be a big fan of boxing, hard work to say I even like it these days. Hope the main event is worth it, I have my doubts

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Sun 20 Nov 2016, 4:39 am

Yep. Embarrassing for the sport. Also, for me, Kovalev looks nervous.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next