The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gareth Thomas: Former Wales captain says Rob Howley 'should be coach'

+13
Gwlad
majesticimperialman
Recwatcher16
aucklandlaurie
wayne
RDW
Hero
RiscaGame
BamBam
No 7&1/2
mikey_dragon
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
17 posters

Go down

Gareth Thomas: Former Wales captain says Rob Howley 'should be coach' Empty Gareth Thomas: Former Wales captain says Rob Howley 'should be coach'

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 10:39 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37864054

Please God, no!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Gareth Thomas: Former Wales captain says Rob Howley 'should be coach' Empty Re: Gareth Thomas: Former Wales captain says Rob Howley 'should be coach'

Post by munkian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 10:43 am

I wish these old players would just concentrate on their own seat on the gravy train that is Welsh rugby and stop trying to let on new passengers.

I think that's about as far as I can stretch that metaphor
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Gareth Thomas: Former Wales captain says Rob Howley 'should be coach' Empty Re: Gareth Thomas: Former Wales captain says Rob Howley 'should be coach'

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 04 Nov 2016, 10:44 am

Nah fam I can't be dealing with that. Howley should quit and take up a new career. I'm thinking he should run a carpet-fitting business in some impoverished valleys town - apparently a monkey can do that so Howley should have no problem.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 10:48 am

It's a sh!t argument anyway - that because Howley has been part of Gatland's coaching team, he should be Gatland's successor. Well on that basis, no one but assistant coaches would ever be head coach.

Team Wales (I hate that term) is crying out for some fresh input and new ideas.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:01 am

Dai Young as head coach with Wilson as forwards coach (or vice versa?) would be a good choice IMO. Brad Davis from Ospreys having also worked with Dai before would be the other logical choice.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:03 am

Possibly Darren Edwards as backs coach. But it has to be Dai Young for the head coach job, doesn't it?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:13 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Nah fam I can't be dealing with that. Howley should quit and take up a new career. I'm thinking he should run a carpet-fitting business in some impoverished valleys town - apparently a monkey can do that so Howley should have no problem.

Ha!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:18 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Nah fam I can't be dealing with that. Howley should quit and take up a new career. I'm thinking he should run a carpet-fitting business in some impoverished valleys town - apparently a monkey can do that so Howley should have no problem.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:26 am

Any chance we can stay on topic? Please? OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:33 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Any chance we can stay on topic? Please? OK

Bar Andy Robinson I can't think of many worse choices. If Wales now go on a 9-game winning streak would that be enough to right all his former wrong-doings as a coach?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:35 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Possibly Darren Edwards as backs coach. But it has to be Dai Young for the head coach job, doesn't it?

Yes it does. Dai Young for the main job, Danny Wilson forwards and somebody like Darren for attack would do for me.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:39 am

Mikey and Dow, do I have to lock the pair of you in a room to thrash this out?
Pair of you pack it in.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:41 am

More tidying up done - any chance you Welsh could just get on??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 Nov 2016, 11:41 am

You've been double team'd!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:11 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Any chance we can stay on topic? Please? OK

Bar Andy Robinson I can't think of many worse choices. If Wales now go on a 9-game winning streak would that be enough to right all his former wrong-doings as a coach?

That's a moot point because it's never going to happen... but speaking of 'former wrong-doings', people seem to have forgotten that the last time Howley was in charge, we lost to Argentina and Tonga.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:13 pm

This is probably Howley's only chance to put his case to be Head Coach, after Gatland leaves in 2019, this series and the 6N in the spring, will only have him in the hot seat.
I think if his record in these 4 matches is less than 2-2, his chances will be very small in getting the top job, if it is 4-0 I think he will get the job, the 3-1 scenario will leave the door open.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:15 pm

But you beat England 30 3 as well leading to the Welsh domination of the Lions.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:You've been double team'd!

Its the only chance you Jocks have of beating Wales kiss Hug
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:30 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:But you beat England 30 3 as well leading to the Welsh domination of the Lions.

I know, but my point is that Six Nations win didn't make the autumn defeats disappear. They still happened.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:33 pm

munkian wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:You've been double team'd!

Its the only chance you Jocks have of beating Wales kiss Hug

Laugh

Harsh, but fair!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 04 Nov 2016, 12:57 pm

So can does anyone know did Thomas say that "Howley should be coach" or did he say "Howley shhould be next coach?" or am I just being picky?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 04 Nov 2016, 1:32 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:But you beat England 30 3 as well leading to the Welsh domination of the Lions.

I know, but my point is that Six Nations win didn't make the autumn defeats disappear. They still happened.

Yes but isn't there something to be said or argued that coaches won't always be immediately successful and deserve some time. I think there a definite argument that Wales improved since his 1st game to his last?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 1:56 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
So can  does anyone know did Thomas say that "Howley should be coach" or did he say "Howley shhould be next coach?" or am I just being picky?

Well the article doesn't quote him as saying those exact words, no.

N.B. The headline isn't mine, it's the BBC's.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 04 Nov 2016, 2:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:

Yes but isn't there something to be said or argued that coaches won't always be immediately successful and deserve some time. I think there a definite argument that Wales improved since his 1st game to his last?

You could argue that as he's been part of the coaching team for years, he's already been given time, i.e. he's not a new coach with new ideas.

Yes, clearly beating England 30 - 3 is better than losing to Tonga.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 04 Nov 2016, 2:07 pm

It is inevitably a new role though, even the best people in their fields take a while to settle. Immediate short term results don't always translate over a longer period be those short term results losses or wins. Will be interesting to see performance and results running up to next summer anyway.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Fri 04 Nov 2016, 4:07 pm

Howley should get on the phone and get his best player from his last stint back out of retirement and back on the pitch. I refer of course to.....Steve Walsh.
Run

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:19 am

We all know that Gatland in now in charge of the ions for next year's tour. And that Howley as been given tempory role of being head coach of Wales.

So sure the best thing for Gareth Thomas too have done was to waite and see just how well Wales goes with Howley in charge and Gatland not being there.

I do love Gareth Thomas. i thought he was a great player. But surely he does not believe that Howley is the best person to lead Wales to a better furture? does he?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 05 Nov 2016, 1:22 pm

Apparently so.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 05 Nov 2016, 7:09 pm

Howley might be fit to coach Difficult Conversations or as stunt stand-in for himself in the Alfie biopic, he's certainly fit for little else

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 05 Nov 2016, 7:22 pm

After to days game Howley surely cannot carry on as Head coach, for the next year. can he? honestly?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 05 Nov 2016, 7:28 pm

No he can't but he will because he's the plan…..tragic isn't it.

Howley can't function without Gatland. Fact is we have had the same set up for 8 fricking years and its time for change, oh wait we have changed, we've allowed Gats to swan off on a Lions gig, largely because Howler fluked a 6 Nations in 2013 which was not ours to win (phew i get the chance to blame England)

Yes, basically the state of Welsh coaching is England's fault. Very Happy . Perhaps if they'd won in 2013 the WRU might have seen that letting our HC go off on a Busman's holiday was perhaps not good for our development.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 07 Nov 2016, 8:21 pm

I sympathise with Stan.
The Aussie squad have been together for ages. Clearly the 13 day rule is inadequate.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 07 Nov 2016, 8:49 pm

munkian wrote:I wish these old players would just concentrate on their own seat on the gravy train that is Welsh rugby and stop trying to let on new passengers.

Reckon Welsh rugby could do with a Brian Clough equivalent type figure. Somebody to really shake the tree. Won't happen though as it didn't with English football many moons ago.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 07 Nov 2016, 10:53 pm

munkian wrote:I wish these old players would just concentrate on their own seat on the gravy train that is Welsh rugby and stop trying to let on new passengers.

Always room on all the gravy trains for more mun, mun.
And Chum V just got one biggar, next to Harries, by the look of it.
Nana Mouskouri and Pam Ayres on next week no doubt.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 Nov 2016, 2:40 pm

'Wales interim head coach Rob Howley: "There is the tinge of disappointment in terms of performance against Japan and we want to put that right."'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38082818

A tinge? A f*cking tinge?!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_nigel Fri 25 Nov 2016, 2:51 pm

I watched Scrum V last Sunday and I imagine a few others on here did. There was a fair amount of honesty coming from Harries and his guests on that evening's show. Alfie in particular singled out a few individuals but for some reason couldn't bring himself to criticize any of the coaches. I found that quite odd and if he still believes Howley should be head coach then I'll be even more mystified. Every other word Howley says he's setting himself up to be criticized so it's not like Alfie would be without ammo.

uncle_nigel

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_nigel Fri 25 Nov 2016, 2:53 pm

A tinge? A f*cking tinge?!

Could you not? Rhys Webb thinks we're going to hurt players' feelings.

uncle_nigel

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 25 Nov 2016, 2:53 pm

All will be forgiven if he wins a 6Ns or GrandSlam.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 25 Nov 2016, 3:03 pm

It shouldn't be Howley. I don't think he's a bad coach, but unless Wales can turn things around in the 6 Nations I think a fresh approach would be beneficial.

Dai Young is the obvious choice. He should have carte blanche to pick his own coaching team. Howley could in fact swap places with him, as an ex-Wasp.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 Nov 2016, 5:21 pm

uncle_nigel wrote:I watched Scrum V last Sunday and I imagine a few others on here did. There was a fair amount of honesty coming from Harries and his guests on that evening's show. Alfie in particular singled out a few individuals but for some reason couldn't bring himself to criticize any of the coaches. I found that quite odd

It's because they're friends. It makes him unsuitable to be a pundit. He even said at one point, 'I'm not a finger pointer.' In that case, the next time they ask you to go on Scrum V, say no.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 08 Mar 2017, 3:01 pm

I wonder if Gareth Thomas still feels this way.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 08 Mar 2017, 3:35 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I wonder if Gareth Thomas still feels this way.

What it is butt its about the bois, and if the bois puttin a shift then they can reeeeeally take it to 'em
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 08 Mar 2017, 3:46 pm

Some of the content of that article is laughable now:

'Thomas believes Howley can strengthen the side in time for the 2019 Rugby World Cup draw in May 2017 after gaining extensive experience as Gatland's assistant.

"Gatland's created something very successful so it's important that Rob has learned from a guy who is undoubtedly an extremely good coach," Thomas continued.

"Warren has to give him a certain amount of authority. Rob will grow from this experience and from this length of time he has.

"Probably towards the latter end of the November internationals we will definitely see a certain change within the team."

-------------------

'Wales can narrow the gap behind world number one in the rankings New Zealand, according to Howley, despite the All Blacks carrying a run of 18 consecutive wins.

'New Zealand are the number-one ranked team in the world and are 14 ranking points ahead of fifth-placed Wales.

"We have changed and we've worked a lot of skills in training, particularly the front five skills," Howley told BBC Wales Sport.

"It's a point of difference particularly in New Zealand and it's a point we'll continue to work on," he said.'

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 08 Mar 2017, 3:51 pm

I'd laugh but with all the Prozac I'm dead inside.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 08 Mar 2017, 6:09 pm

munkian wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I wonder if Gareth Thomas still feels this way.

What it is butt its about the bois, and if the bois puttin a shift then they can reeeeeally take it to 'em

Gareth Thomas' over use of 'butt' is well documented.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down