The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October

+19
mid_gen
BamBam
sad_gimp
eirebilly
stub
TightHEAD
Rugby Fan
TheMildlyFranticLlama
propdavid_london
carpet baboon
mikey_dragon
formerly known as Sam
beshocked
thebandwagonsociety
Irish Londoner
munkian
yappysnap
LondonTiger
George Carlin
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October - Page 2 Empty Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October

Post by George Carlin Tue 11 Oct 2016, 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October - Page 2 Toulon10          Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October - Page 2 Sarrie10
RC Toulonnais v Saracens
Saturday 15 October 2016
KO 16:15 local (15:15 GMT)
Stade Félix Mayol, Toulon

Live on BT Sport / beIN Sports

Referee John Lacey (Ireland)
Touch Judge 1 Mark Patton (Ireland)
Touch Judge 2 Paul Haycock (Ireland)
TMO Simon McDowell (Ireland)
Citing Commissioner Eugene Ryan (Ireland)

A. Head to Head

Played 2, Toulon Won 2, No Draws

B. Recent Form

24 May 2014
RC Toulon 23 - 6 Saracens
Heineken Cup

28 April 2013
Saracens 12-24 RC Toulon
Heineken Cup

C. Teams

RC Toulonnais
Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October - Page 2 Eva10
15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Josua Tuisova, 13 Matt Carraro, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Francois Trinh Duc, 9 Sebastien Tillous-Borde, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe, 6 Charles Ollivon, 5 Mamuka Gorgodze, 4 Samu Manoa, 3 Levan Chilachava, 2 Guilhem Guirado, 1 Florian Fresia

Replacements: 16 Jean-Charles Orioli, 17 Xavier Chiocci, 18 Manasa Saulo, 19 Liam Gill, 20 Mathieu Bastareaud, 21 Pierre Bernard, 22 Eric Escande, 23 Romain Taofifenua

Saracens
Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October - Page 2 Keira10
15 Alex Goode, 14 Sean Maitland, 13 Marcelo Bosch, 12 Brad Barritt, 11 Chris Wyles, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Richard Wigglesworth, 8 Billy Vunipola, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Jackson Wray, 5 George Kruis, 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Juan Figallo, 2 Jamie George, 1 Mako Vunipola

Replacements: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Richard Barrington, 18 Petrus du Plessis, 19 Jim Hamilton, 20 Michael Rhodes, 21 Ben Spencer, 22 Alex Lozowski, 23 Michael Ellery

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October - Page 2 Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2016, 4:58 pm

beshocked wrote:Numerous players injured and playing on.

Its not really fair to play on IMO.

OK, then we'll sit back and watch how often players go down to stop play at opportune moments.

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October - Page 2 Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: RC Toulon v Saracens, 15 October

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 15 Oct 2016, 5:07 pm

23-31 Saracens win

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 15 Oct 2016, 5:08 pm

Fabulous result there for Sarries! Congratulations to their fans.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sat 15 Oct 2016, 5:11 pm

Just imagine if Saracens had a back line to equal their forwards?

Congratulations to the Barnet men.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 15 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

Itoje's card was deserved, and did mark a turning point.

Saracens probably would have liked to rest Farrell but didn't fancy taking him off while they were under the cosh.

I don't think the ref did anything wrong letting play go on while the pitch was littered with hurt bodies. The injuries weren't serious, and the ball stayed away from anyone receiving treatment.

Toulon didn't blow that match, Saracens outplayed them to build a lead, and had enough nouse to hold out. The best Toulon might have got is a bonus point but I'm not convinced it would have been deserved.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 15 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm

stub wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:Who thinks itojes tackle was high?

I didn't - I thought it was a questionable decision.

Made by the crowd ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 15 Oct 2016, 5:40 pm

Heaf wrote:
stub wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:Who thinks itojes tackle was high?

I didn't - I thought it was a questionable decision.

Made by the crowd ...

Yep and the French tv directors continuous super slow mo replays!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 15 Oct 2016, 6:36 pm

So, a simple question; can Sarries be stopped?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 15 Oct 2016, 6:39 pm

Yes, but not by anyone in their current pool I suspect ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 15 Oct 2016, 6:56 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:23-31 Saracens win
That is seriously impressive.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 15 Oct 2016, 7:01 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:So, a simple question; can Sarries be stopped?

Yes. Quins have already done it.

Great game from Sarries. Took their foot off the gas a little in the second half and that coupled with the yellows let Toulon back in, but even then they had enough to see them off.

Great match to watch as a neutral. Sarries really need better centres imo

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 15 Oct 2016, 7:10 pm

yappysnap wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:So, a simple question; can Sarries be stopped?

Yes. Quins have already done it.

Great game from Sarries. Took their foot off the gas a little in the second half and that coupled with the yellows let Toulon back in, but even then they had enough to see them off.

Great match to watch as a neutral. Sarries really need better centres imo
Not to worry - Duncan Taylor back soon. Very Happy
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 15 Oct 2016, 7:14 pm

The centres they have suit their game plan though. They run hard and straight so their playmaker always has an easy pass out of pressure. They can move the ball simply enough to play the game plan and both have underrated kicking games. They don't set the world alight but they smash everything in defence which is a big bit of the Saracens game.

Saracens can be stopped. If you stop them taking a lead, beat them at the set piece (difficult but not impossible) and apply pressure to the half backs it's possible. Under pressure they concede pens and yellow cards. The problem is they are normally in front by that part of the game and it's hard to get back in front.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 15 Oct 2016, 7:16 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Itoje's card was deserved, and did mark a turning point.

Saracens probably would have liked to rest Farrell but didn't fancy taking him off while they were under the cosh.

I don't think the ref did anything wrong letting play go on while the pitch was littered with hurt bodies. The injuries weren't serious, and the ball stayed away from anyone receiving treatment.

Toulon didn't blow that match, Saracens outplayed them to build a lead, and had enough nouse to hold out. The best Toulon might have got is a bonus point but I'm not convinced it would have been deserved.

A fair assessment. Satacens were superior by some margin and the only thing at stake was a possible Toulon LBP.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Oct 2016, 7:23 pm

What I thought was just as impressive was the way Sarries got through that sticky patch they had when Toulon were in the ascendancy, they weathered the storm and got the points they needed to keep Toulon at bay.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 15 Oct 2016, 10:39 pm

Great game, and for the first time in my life I was willing Sarries to win, I feel dirty and have had three showers since the final whistle and will never drink again!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 15 Oct 2016, 10:49 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Great game, and for the first time in my life I was willing Sarries to win, I feel dirty and have had three showers since the final whistle and will never drink again!

Ha! I know what you mean but they are a class team and deserve their success at least on a basic level.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2