The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA Discussion Thread

+2
compelling and rich
westisbest
6 posters

Go down

MMA Discussion Thread Empty MMA Discussion Thread

Post by Pr4wn Thu 06 Oct 2016, 3:24 pm

Thought I'd start a general discussion thread, rather than having a different thread for each event.

Cormier vs Rumble has been confirmed as the headliner for UFC 206 in Toronto. I now live in Toronto and I've already registered for tickets!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

MMA Discussion Thread Empty Re: MMA Discussion Thread

Post by Guest Thu 06 Oct 2016, 3:35 pm

You should sit and read Harry Potter novels til they arrive

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Oct 2016, 4:09 pm

Should be a good fight. Although Cormier won last time, seemed to be the better, stronger, more rounded guy, Rumble had that first round in a big way. Can he capitalise on that again and finish Cormier? Any more details on the card?

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 11 Oct 2016, 3:16 pm

Thought Bisping would have ko'd Henderson.

His face was a mess after.
Didn't see the fight.

Fair play to Hendo for going the distance.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 12 Oct 2016, 3:12 pm

Americans are butthurt that Hendo didn't win when, aside from a couple of big shots landed by Dan, Bisping controlled the fight.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 01 Mar 2017, 6:25 pm

It's been confirmed that Bisping will defend his title against GSP later this year.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 01 Mar 2017, 6:51 pm

be interesting to see how gsp is after such a lay off, any where near his best and he picks bisping apart

seen in other news that brock has retired after being found guilty of doping (surprise surprise). be very surprised if he wasn't juiced for majority of his fights

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 01 Mar 2017, 6:54 pm

Of course he was juiced. Look at him.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 01 Mar 2017, 7:06 pm

oh i know, just begs the question why did they look the other way when he was making ufc so much money (i know ive just answered my own question but it still stinks)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 01 Mar 2017, 7:14 pm

Easy to forget that GSP is going up a weight class and will be giving up so much in terms of reach. Bisping is notoriously hard to take down and he has fast hands and incredible cardio. This could be closer than some people think. GSP has been out a long time.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 01 Mar 2017, 9:19 pm

while gsp was at his best on the ground do think he improved his stand up considerably he picked koscheck and shields apart on the feet, i know neither of them are the best on their feet but also thought he beat alves fairly comfortably standing before taking him down.

bisping is decent standing, volume punching who applies pressure. which he may not be able to do effectively if hes worried about the take down. gsp at his best has a massive speed advantage. if this was gsp of 09/10 wouldnt give bisping a chance. as it is its a really interesting fight. if i stick my neck out id go with gsp on points after getting a few take downs to stick. while bisping does have decent takedown defence he's not fought anyone as good as gsp, rockhold and sonnen probably the two best and he got a defeat against both (although i did think he won against sonnen)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Mar 2017, 5:42 pm

I think Bisping can win this. The naturally bigger fighter who has good stand up and great cardio added to the fact this is GSP's first fight at the weight after a long lay off. Does anybody think GSP will keep this standing? Or will he look for the takedown? Surprised GSP has taken this fight as opposed to fighting Woodley with the possibility of a CM fight, which I think we would be massive financially. What happened to Romero getting a shot?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 10 Apr 2017, 5:15 pm

Pretty controversial weekend in the UFC! DC retained his belt despite blatantly cheating to make weight and Chris Weidman lost his third straight in the most controversial of circumstances.

What do you all make of these developments?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:11 pm

I've missed the good ol towel trick Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 11 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

I just can't believe that it was allowed to slide.

I mean, the fight would have either been called off or it wouldn't have been for the title had Cormier failed to make weight officially, so you can bet Rumble wanted to fight anyway.

But DC blatantly cheated to make weight.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 13 Apr 2017, 5:49 pm

only just caught up with the fights and didn't see anything about the weigh in, what happened?

weidmann was a difficult call, live it looked illegal and you can see why the ref called it. i then think weidmann played up to it abit to try and either get a dq or at least a point off. as soon as they realised it was a legal shot the fight should have started straight away, if weidnmnn wasn't fit to start then he should have lost right away but do feel they should have just restarted the fight

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 13 Apr 2017, 6:33 pm

compelling and rich wrote:only just caught up with the fights and didn't see anything about the weigh in, what happened?

Cormier missed the weight then came back less then 2 mins later wearing nothing but a towel which was holding him up essentially to make weight  Hug

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Apr 2017, 5:23 pm

compelling and rich wrote:only just caught up with the fights and didn't see anything about the weigh in, what happened?

weidmann was a difficult call, live it looked illegal and you can see why the ref called it. i then think weidmann played up to it abit to try and either get a dq or at least a point off. as soon as they realised it was a legal shot the fight should have started straight away, if weidnmnn wasn't fit to start then he should have lost right away but do feel they should have just restarted the fight

Whilst I agree it was a difficult call I think the ref and what I assume were doctors or the nysac have to take responsabiltiy for what followed after it was proven to be legal. Surely if Weidman was fit to fight on it should have been restarted? Watched this on a sketchy youtube upload so may well have missed something. Was a pretty good fight whilst it lasted, rematch would seem right, Mousassi said he'd do it. Don't think Weidman is finished.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 25 Sep 2017, 9:21 am

mcgregor v diaz 3 announced. does defending titles against worthy opponents go out the window when mcgregor is involved?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Sep 2017, 12:37 pm

It's all about the money, a Diaz rubbermatch is the biggest earner in the LW division. Tbh I am surprised CM is bothering to fight again after what he earned for the maywether fight .

I'd like to see him fight Ferguson.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 25 Sep 2017, 2:25 pm

Or Khabib.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Sep 2017, 8:11 pm

How highly do you rate Khabib? Only watched 2 of his fights so hard for me to rate him. He seems to split opinion, some see him as this great wrestler that will take you down and pound away whilst others say he doesn't have that many decent wins , is a bit old school in that he hasn't really progressed and added more to his game and seems to have a lot of weight issues. To big for LW to small for WW

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 26 Sep 2017, 6:18 pm

khabib looked good in the fights ive seen. very strong. would be a interesting match up with connor as he does seem hitable and can telegraph his shoots. with all his health issues we may well never see it though

but ferguson or khabib (health permitting) definitely deserve a shot over diaz who in his last 12 fights has a 50% win record

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 26 Sep 2017, 8:51 pm

Conor was getting smashed by Chad before he ran out of gas and Khabib is a much bigger, stronger wrestler than Chad.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:15 am

looks like connor is now rightly facing tony ferguson or at least he should be doing. should be a great fight but got a feeling ferguson could be a bad match up for him. hes got a great chin and much better stamina than connor, unless connor can get him out there quickly can see ferguson taking over this fight in the later rounds. so saying that connor will prob take the third fight against nate

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Tue 17 Oct 2017, 3:47 pm

Did anyone see Dan Hardy tweet that he thinks McGregor will vacat the title and fight Diaz then retire? With Tony Ferguson fighting KN for the lightweight title.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 05 Nov 2017, 11:23 am

Only caught the very end of the Cody v TJ fight.
Delighted TJ won.

Watched Bisping GSP.

Am a Bisping fan, was humble enough in defeat.
I thought he would go to 4/5th round and take it.

Fair play to GSP. Bisping was never getting out if that choke.
Hopefully the count can bounce back with a win.

Also really pleased Rose won. Can’t stand JJ

On another note thought the Joe Duffy stoppage was a bit to soon, shame he didn’t win.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 05 Nov 2017, 12:47 pm

Caught rose, TJ & bisping. Delighted for Rose and TJ. Gutted for Bisping. I really thought Bisping was getting into his comfort zone. He made sh1t out of gsp when he pulled him down in the centre of the ring. GSP was going to have to reconsider his wrestling strategy, and he did, he put him down and it was done.
I hope Bisping retires. Nothing more to achieve. And he's had a long hard career.
Delighted for Rose, She showed class in and out of the ring. I liked Joanna but she was classless promoting this fight. And everyone enjoys a bully getting theirs. Who expected Rose to be the better on the feet? Reminded me of Bisping v Rockhold. So satisfying.
Garbrant v dillashaw, again Cody and team alpha male, come across as dicks. I like Faber, but he seems to run a toxic camp. Cody will be back, he has the power, speed and timing, But nice to see him humbled. I thought TJ looked a little off the pace in round 1. The knockdown spelling the worst. But he turned it.
Would love to see TJ v DJ next. But I think TJ is just too big. He'd have to lose 10lb of muscle. I think it would deplete his effectiveness.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun 05 Nov 2017, 5:56 pm

Honestly, with TJ and Garbrandt, I wish they could both lose.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 05 Jul 2018, 11:22 am

MMA Discussion Thread DhTzrgTX0AEICJF

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 04 Aug 2018, 9:46 pm

Hoping TJ can beat Cody again.

Hopefully a good clean ko would do.

Also good to hear Connor vs Khabib has been announced.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down