The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October

+11
Pot Hale
Senlac
jimbopip
cakeordeath
IanBru
MacKnocked-on
RDW
BigGee
Hazel Sapling
demosthenes
George Carlin
15 posters

Go down

Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October Empty Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Oct 2016, 5:11 am

Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October Zebre10             Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October Glasgo13          

Zebre Rugby Glasgow Warriors  
Saturday 8 October 2016
KO: 17:05
Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi

Not to be shown live, highlights to follow online

Referee: [*]
Assistant Referees: [*]
Citing Commissioner: [*]
TMO: [*]

A. Head to Head

Lots Played Lots
No Wins Oh yes
Yes Losses No
Nope Draws Nope
Not so much Points One or two

B. Form

1 May 2015
Glasgow Warriors 70 - 10 Zebre

8 April 2016
Zebre 14 - 43 Glasgow Warriors

6 March 2015 
Glasgow Warriors 26 - 5 Zebre

Sun 15 February 2015 
Zebre 10 - 54 Glasgow Warriors 

C. Teams

Zebre Rugby
Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October Meditt10
[*]

Glasgow Warriors 
Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October Mars_b10
[*]

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 06 Oct 2016, 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October Empty Re: Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October

Post by demosthenes Wed 05 Oct 2016, 7:37 am

According to the Glasgow website the March is NOT being televised.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October Empty Re: Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 05 Oct 2016, 9:59 am

According to Pro 12 there is no TV but to be fair it is before the 9 o'clock watershed and there are children present...

In all seriousness though, Zebre have improved a bit and will put up a bit more of a fight but there is more than enough in the Glasgow squad to beat them. Good chance to rest players leading into Leicester. I would like to see something like this (Gray, Russell, Seymour and Hogg all could do with a relaxing week, they are going to be needed)

Reid, Malcolm, Fagerson, Hunter-Hill, McAlpine (2nd row is a real problem), Wynne, Smith, Strauss, Price, Clegg, Sarto, Dunbar, Bennett, Junior/Jones, Murchie
MacArthur, Sears-Duru, Rae, ? (random bloke from the crowd at this point), Fagerson, Pyrgos, Shuttle, Lyle

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 05 Oct 2016, 10:22 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:According to Pro 12 there is no TV but to be fair it is before the 9 o'clock watershed and there are children present...

In all seriousness though, Zebre have improved a bit and will put up a bit more of a fight but there is more than enough in the Glasgow squad to beat them. Good chance to rest players leading into Leicester. I would like to see something like this (Gray, Russell, Seymour and Hogg all could do with a relaxing week, they are going to be needed)

Reid, Malcolm, Fagerson, Hunter-Hill, McAlpine (2nd row is a real problem), Wynne, Smith, Strauss, Price, Clegg, Sarto, Dunbar, Bennett, Junior/Jones, Murchie
MacArthur, Sears-Duru, Rae, ? (random bloke from the crowd at this point), Fagerson, Pyrgos, Shuttle, Lyle  

I think we need a bit more grunt up front than that, Hunter-Hill and McAlpine in the second row have 10 mins of pro rugby between then! This game won't be as easy as that. I was at the game in Italy last season and they were winning at half time, they are a different team at home. We can rest a few, but will get caught with our pants down if we try and take the p**s.

Harley will not doubt carry on in the second row, he is likely to be playing there for a while and hopefully Swinson will be back this week. JG does need a rest, no doubt about that but they may still be forced to play him if there really is no one else.

With a bit of luck a few of the others will be back to, Wilson in particular would be very welcome.

HP has been sent off to Dublin today for the champs cup official launch, so that probably means he will stay at home. Hogg had a week off last week, so he will either play or bench and it will be TS turn to rest this time around. The venerable Sean played a club game last week, so expect to see him back and maybe this is the game to give Junior a run out, he scored a pile of tries last week for Hawks.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Oct 2016, 10:23 am

Am I right in thinking Gray and Seymour have pretty much played every minute of every game so far? Gray absolutely needs a rest with the Euro games and Ais coming up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 05 Oct 2016, 10:58 am

Think Harley has as well RDW hence I feel the need to rest him. Need at least 1 2nd row back and probably will have to play 1 academy 2nd row. Harley should bench at most.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Oct 2016, 10:59 am

Harley was injured for one of the games was he not so has had a weekend off?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Oct 2016, 11:03 am

Yeah I've just checked - he was injured for the Ulster game 2 weekends ago so is good to go for the forseeable future in terms of his run of games.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 05 Oct 2016, 11:11 am

BigGee wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:According to Pro 12 there is no TV but to be fair it is before the 9 o'clock watershed and there are children present...

I think we need a bit more grunt up front than that, Hunter-Hill and McAlpine in the second row have 10 mins of pro rugby between then! This game won't be as easy as that. I was at the game in Italy last season and they were winning at half time, they are a different team at home. We can rest a few, but will get caught with our pants down if we try and take the p**s.

Harley will not doubt carry on in the second row, he is likely to be playing there for a while and hopefully Swinson will be back this week. JG does need a rest, no doubt about that but they may still be forced to play him if there really is no one else.

With a bit of luck a few of the others will be back to, Wilson in particular would be very welcome.

HP has been sent off to Dublin today for the champs cup official launch, so that probably means he will stay at home. Hogg had a week off last week, so he will either play or bench and it will be TS turn to rest this time around. The venerable Sean played a club game last week, so expect to see him back and maybe this is the game to give Junior a run out, he scored a pile of tries last week for Hawks.

I'm disappointed that Junior hasn't been given a chance this season yet, and isn't in the Euro squad. For me, I think he's got more potential than Rory Hughes, he looks a more natural attacking player.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 05 Oct 2016, 11:11 am

Harley has missed a game, so surely he will play.

JG and TS have not. It will be easy enough to step Tommy down, we have plenty of wingers, all of whom can do a job. Second row is a different kettle of fish though and we do need some big experienced lumps there. We can carry one academy player but not two or three.

Our best hope is if Swinson comes back this weekend, then him and Harley can start with one of the kids on the bench. If not then some difficult decisions may need to be made.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 05 Oct 2016, 11:16 am

MacKnocked-on wrote:

I'm disappointed that Junior hasn't been given a chance this season yet, and isn't in the Euro squad. For me, I think he's got more potential than Rory Hughes, he looks a more natural attacking player.

I think it is his defence that is the issue, not his attacking ability. Still I tend to agree with you and would like to see him get a decent run off the bench for this one.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 05 Oct 2016, 11:46 am

Missed Harley not playing that match. What are the timings for players coming back in for 2nd row and back row? I assume Cummings and Petersen are both New Years. Uanivi and Swinson are the 2 we need back.

Junior needs using in games where we should be getting bonus points if his defence is an issue. We needed some more cutting edge against Newport and, if he provides that, he should be used.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Oct 2016, 11:48 am

Has Junior actually played for Glasgow yet?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 05 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Has Junior actually played for Glasgow yet?

I am pretty sure he played a couple of times in the WC period last year, but not since then. I think he was seen as a work in progress and the fact that he was given another year suggests that. It is kind of now or never though. He won't get kept on as a non playing squad member for ever.

He does seem to be the kind of off the cuff player that Toonie likes though, so it would be surprising if he does not get a chance at some stage. We will lose most of our wingers at international time anyway, so at least maybe then.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Oct 2016, 12:06 pm

How did the big Canadian prop get on against the Dragons since that was his first appearance (I think)?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 05 Oct 2016, 12:24 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:How did the big Canadian prop get on against the Dragons since that was his first appearance (I think)?

Yes that was DJD first game and he got 20 mins off the bench. Fairly uneventful really, held up the scrum and otherwise did nothing memorable good or bad. That is probably reasonable for a debut and I would be happy to see more of him.

He does seem to be regarded as our 4th choice LH though, with Reid, Allen and Grant all put into the euro squad and him left out. Allen has been the surprise package of this year so far and has been putting in some pretty impressive turns, not least that fabulous try. He will be pushing towards the Scotland squad at this rate. Both him and Reid are playing well and will giver Sutherland a run for his money. Dickenson may or may not be fit enough for the AIs in any case, so they may all get a go.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 05 Oct 2016, 12:25 pm

All I remember of seeing DJD on the pitch was that he was absolutely feckin massive.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 05 Oct 2016, 12:36 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:All I remember of seeing DJD on the pitch was that he was absolutely feckin massive.

He has certainly got all the tools, just needs to learn to channel them. He is still pretty young in prop years, hopefully he will get there.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 05 Oct 2016, 1:02 pm

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:All I remember of seeing DJD on the pitch was that he was absolutely feckin massive.

He has certainly got all the tools, just needs to learn to channel them. He is still pretty young in prop years, hopefully he will get there.
Is that similar to dog years? One of my colleagues keeps saying "I think my beagle is 120 years old in dog years!" and I'm resisting the urge to ask if it remembers Woodrow Wilson. Bad Ian.

DJD looked pretty useful last week, though I think he knocked a ball on in the Dragons 22 at one point. I'll forgive him that - looking to a Canadian prop for handling skills is like asking a former Edinburgh loosehead to demonstrate his sidestep. Oh wait...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Oct 2016, 4:26 pm

He's Canadian. So he'd crack your skull open, but then immediately apologise and offer to make you pancakes.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 05 Oct 2016, 7:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:How did the big Canadian prop get on against the Dragons since that was his first appearance (I think)?

I thought he was awful. Looked out of his depth and gave away a cheap penalty. Needs a lot of work

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Zebre v Glasgow Warriors, 8 October Empty Glasgow 2nd XV announced

Post by demosthenes Fri 07 Oct 2016, 2:38 pm

From the Glasgow website :

15 Peter Murchie

14 Sean Lamont
13 Nick Grigg
12 Sam Johnson
11 Lee Jones

10 Rory Clegg
9 Ali Price

1 Gordon Reid
2 Corey Flynn
3 Sila Puafisi
4 Robert Harley
5 Robert McAlpine
6 Josh Strauss
7 Fraser Brown
8 Ryan Wilson

Substitutes

16 James Malcolm
17 Djustice Sears-Duru
18 Zander Fagerson
19 Callum Hunter-Hill
20 Matt Fagerson
21 Grayson Hart
22 Stuart Hogg
23 Leonardo Sarto

Not available due to injury: Adam Ashe (hip / foot), Mark Bennett (head), Scott Cummings (shoulder), Alex Dunbar (back / knee), Simone Favaro (shoulder), Chris Fusaro (knees), Ryan Grant (back), Peter Horne (hand), Greg Peterson (shoulder), Henry Pyrgos (neck), Tim Swinson (ribs), Tjiuee Uanivi (shoulder) and Richie Vernon (shoulder)

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Oct 2016, 2:41 pm

If that team gets a result away to Zebre (who are a completely different beast at home) it would be a huge boost for Glasgow.

Toonie clearly saving his first team for the Champions Cup (rightly so IMO)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Fri 07 Oct 2016, 3:08 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:If that team gets a result away to Zebre (who are a completely different beast at home) it would be a huge boost for Glasgow.

Not sure about 'saving the first team' - looking at the injury list a lot of first picks are crocked.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 07 Oct 2016, 5:34 pm

demosthenes wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:If that team gets a result away to Zebre (who are a completely different beast at home) it would be a huge boost for Glasgow.

Not sure about 'saving the first team' - looking at the injury list a lot of first picks are crocked.
Or so the press release would have you believe.

Must show respect to the opposition after all. Quite a few first choice players break a nail or something just before ERCC games...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 08 Oct 2016, 8:37 am

As Mr Micawber said, "Annual income £18...annual expenditure £17 19 shillings and sixpence ....outcome happiness. Annual income !£18 ...annual expenditure £18 and sixpence... outcome MISERY."

Second XV get a bonus point win in Parma and a rested and refreshed First XV tonk Tiggers next week...outcome our season is up and running and we're all happy bunnies.

Seconds lose to Parma....too many players in the First haven't had enough game time to play themselves into form...Tiggers turn us over... outcome we might as well be Luvvies.

One way or another it'll be an interesting week.

Mind you "interesting" doesn't quite cover it for the players who didn't travel to Parma. A few of them went for a quiet stroll in the west end last night and found themselves sitting at the feet of the Schizoid one. I'll wager he dispensed his usual worldly wisdom and they are all wakening up and seeing things slightly differently today.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Sat 08 Oct 2016, 4:36 pm

Glasgow makinh a right a**e of this.

Two quick penalties to give them an 11-6 lead and then they mess up the restart and concede a very soft try to the Italian hooker.

11-11 after 30 mins.
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Sat 08 Oct 2016, 4:39 pm

Grigg try ruled out for a double movement. Difficlt to see if it was. Back for a Glasgow penalty anyway. knocked on over the line and a load of handbags under the posts.
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Sat 08 Oct 2016, 4:48 pm

Oustanding from Nick Grigg, beating half the team and going 70m from his own 22 before being hauled down 10m from the Zebre line. Recycled to the right and Fraser Brown finishes. Much better!
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Sat 08 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

Half Time Zebre 11-18 Glasgow
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

Grigg's the one who's 5ft tall and 5ft wide, isn't he?

Please keep these match updates coming.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 08 Oct 2016, 5:54 pm

Ft. 28-33

Zebre gave Glasgow a match and get a Lbp
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 08 Oct 2016, 6:20 pm

Wow close result...! Look forward to watching higglights

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 08 Oct 2016, 6:23 pm

Its a good result for Glasgow, a lot of teams will be coming away from Zebre empty handed this season. They will still get thumped away from home though.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Oct 2016, 5:25 am

To put out that team (almost a completely second string 23) and take 5 points away from home against any team in this league is a massive victory and vindication of our squad depth. Delighted for Grigg and hope to see some decent highlights later on.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Senlac Sun 09 Oct 2016, 4:05 pm

Sorry for the lack of 2nd half updates. Had a friend over and spent most of the 2nd half trying to figure out how to cast the game from my phone to the tv screen.

I'm usually the eternal pessimist but was quite encouraged by that performance. We slacked off big time in the last 15 mins and allowed Zebre back into it with 17 points but up to that point were doing pretty well with the exception of the restart which led to Zebre's 1st try.

Griggs was outstanding and the youngsters did well, although Matt Fagerson got himself binned for handbags.

Peter Murchie looks a shadow of his former self though and unless he improves i can see us offloading him at the end of the season.

We won't win any games against decent sides with that team, but horses for courses they did their job out in Parma pretty well.
Senlac
Senlac

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 09 Oct 2016, 4:13 pm

Resting players again for the big European games and still winning...

Tsk, tsk. Smile
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 09 Oct 2016, 4:19 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Its a good result for Glasgow, a lot of teams will be coming away from Zebre empty handed this season.  They will still get thumped away from home though.
How many is a lot? I can't see Zebre picking up more than the odd home win against Treviso, Dragons or Edinburgh. If they win 'a lot' of home games they're going to end up mid table.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Mon 10 Oct 2016, 6:10 pm

A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Oct 2016, 6:40 pm

That was very Edinburgh-esque defending from Glasgow!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Mon 10 Oct 2016, 6:44 pm

Shlong with 2 tries and an assist. That's 3 tries in 2 appearances this season. The big man is still as useful as ever.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Oct 2016, 6:51 pm

Just read that Swinson and Fuvaro should return thus weekend for Glasgow, which is a big boost.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Oct 2016, 7:03 pm

Some very good tries in that game, actually.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down