The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southgate's England and the next England manager

+42
Trebs
JDizzle
Atila
BlueCoverman
Cornish Warrior
LondonTiger
westisbest
Soul Requiem
DP
Cyril
Riggs
Beer
Northender
BamBam
compelling and rich
Geordie
Samo
Dolphin Ziggler
Ent
Born Slippy
alfie
dummy_half
GSC
Duty281
lfc91
88Chris05
Afro
LivinginItaly
owen10ozzy
Mad for Chelsea
wisden
superflyweight
Hero
Scott is Back
dyrewolfe
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Preacher
Crimey
nathan
Hammersmith harrier
Fernando
46 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Southgate's England and the next England manager - Page 7 Empty Southgate's England and the next England manager

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 02 Oct 2016, 1:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Get to close the Allardyce thread in record time, now caretaker manager Southgate has a chance to stake his claim for the job, whilst we all discuss almost anyone else as the thought of Southgate worries many.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Southgate's England and the next England manager - Page 7 Empty Re: Southgate's England and the next England manager

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2018, 5:20 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Maddison, Sancho, Foden, Chilwell etc go to u21s, I presume.

Foden not included in the squad, or the U-21’s. Correct call by GS, and AB. Haven’t bent over to include him because of media pressure. He might be the savour in some eyes, but until he’s loaned out and performing regularly, he shouldn’t be considered.

Back to top Go down

Southgate's England and the next England manager - Page 7 Empty Re: Southgate's England and the next England manager

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 31 Aug 2018, 5:53 pm

Nonsense, he’s on the bench and getting spells for City and is a huge talent. The reason he isn’t loaned out is because training with City is better for him.

Implication there is that he’d be better off at Preston or similar not learning from the best coach in the country (world?) and the players there that surround him.

I can understand not the seniors, even though he’s had more domestic minutes than some this season, but 21s don’t have many players who’d get on for City against Chelsea

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Sep 2018, 6:52 pm

England XI: Pickford, Trippier, Shaw, Maguire, Gomez, Stones, Henderson, Lingard, Alli, Rashford, Kane.

Spain XI: De Gea, Carvajal, Nacho, Ramos, Alonso, Niguez, Busquets, Alcantara, Isco, Aspas, Rodrigo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:57 pm

England 1-1 Spain - Rashford, brilliant assist by Shaw - Saul

Last edited by Just John on Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:58 pm

Luke Shaw is excellent

Oh, 1-1

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Sep 2018, 8:18 pm

England 1-2 Spain - Rodrigo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 08 Sep 2018, 8:22 pm

Kane looks shot

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Sep 2018, 9:13 pm

Spain dominating now. Alli & Lingard are anonymous (lacking any creativity). Kane looks shot, but is starved of service.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 08 Sep 2018, 9:38 pm

If Rashford could finish, England would be winning. Funny game

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 08 Sep 2018, 9:41 pm

Never a foul there, De Gea has faked a head injury too. Should be 2-2

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 08 Sep 2018, 9:48 pm

Unfortunately, the muddling along in midfield remains an issue. I’d like to see us abandon the back three, but not sure we fan whilst midfield options are so weak.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Sep 2018, 10:08 pm

Same old England - always cheated.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Sep 2018, 8:46 pm

Duty281 wrote:Same old England.

It’s pretty much normal service resumed with England, and the WC easy draw, seems a distant memory now. As for RLC, it’s still puzzling as to why the media cream themselves over him. He should be nowhere near the England setup.

England 1-0 Switzerland FT. Meanwhile, it’s Spain 6-0 Croatia

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 11 Sep 2018, 10:21 pm

Croatia only starting with four of their World Cup Final contingent, so perhaps not too great a surprise? England will be fighting relegation, so they need a solid 4 points against Croatia. Probably wise to forget the possibility of winning all three remaining games.

Nicest aspect of today's England game was it not being played at Wembley. They should tear that whole structure down and only play national games in proper places: Leeds, Derby, Bolton, Millwall, Sunderland and the like.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 12 Sep 2018, 5:19 am

You’re a knob.

From what I watched, England looked slightly better against Spain than against the Swiss. Midfield continued to be a problem.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 12 Sep 2018, 10:10 am

Duty281 wrote:

Nicest aspect of today's England game was it not being played at Wembley. They should tear that whole structure down and only play national games in proper places: Leeds, Derby, Bolton, Millwall, Sunderland and the like.

Giggle

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 12 Sep 2018, 11:16 am

BamBam wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Giggle

I hope so.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 12 Oct 2018, 9:53 pm

Dominant stuff from England tonight. Should have won two or three nil, but the woodwork and poor finishing cost them. Sancho was impressive off the bench, should have been on 10-15 minutes earlier, but Southgate is far too passive. Croatia should have had a player sent off, but it's same-old-England-always-cheated.

4-3-3, 3-5-2 - whatever it is Southgate opts for, the lack of quality in central midfield will always hinder. England badly need a Rakitic, a Kroos, a Pirlo type player, but simply don't have one. Creativity? Don't make me laugh.

Any realistic hope of winning the nations league is now gone, but England should remain in...er..the top tier, if the event ever happens again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 12 Oct 2018, 10:36 pm

Hopefully it doesnt
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 13 Oct 2018, 3:46 am

Draw seemed fair, although Rashford should have won it for England. All those calls for him to play over Sterling in the summer cos of his finishing.

Dier needs replacing, Rice would be a major improvement were he to choose England

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 15 Oct 2018, 7:12 pm

Gotta fancy England tonight looking at the respective line-ups.

Going for a 3-1 to the England, personally, but that does rely on England finishing well.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 15 Oct 2018, 8:24 pm

England bloody ruining the Spanish and their pathetic fan base. Two excellent finishes, and the third was a thing of delicate beauty.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 15 Oct 2018, 9:46 pm

Clinical, professional and effective. Not a great England performance, as it will no doubt be termed by the media circus, but a solid one. Excellent win. If it weren't for Welbeck having a goal wrongly chalked off, England would be top now.

Great experience as well for this young English side to be playing regular competitive football for their country in a hostile environment, rather than the glorified training sessions and 'qualifiers' against ex-Soviet states that normally comprise the International calendar at this time.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 16 Oct 2018, 3:00 am

Not sure I see Pickford thing on the Spanish attacker as a foul, but they got the Welbeck goal chalked off so I hope it was a foul and th cry.

Counter attacking brilliance, Pickford will make the odd mistake but doesn’t create two goals if he doesn’t play in that way. Midfield seemed a little overwhelmed still, but Barkley is at least creative. Dier still a centre back masquerading as a midfielder.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 16 Oct 2018, 5:27 am

Saying all that, it will be hard to ever drop Dier after that tackle on Ramos.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 04 Nov 2018, 1:22 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46089205

Utter disgrace.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 05 Nov 2018, 4:01 am

Duty281 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46089205

Utter disgrace.

Had to check the date when I read this...

No , not April 1st. Headscratch

Suppose this stunt is intended to add some interest to a generally meaningless friendly. My gut doesn't like it much ; but I don't honestly care that much one way or the other. Sure there will be plenty of online opinions from those with strong views Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 05 Nov 2018, 9:59 am

Does it matter?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Nov 2018, 8:26 pm

Should raise a lot of money for charity. It’s something done a lot in other countries. Arguably he’s earned a spot by killing it in America

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Nov 2018, 1:23 pm

My issue lies with the number of pointless international friendlies than using one as a glorified testimonial and raising money for charity.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 15 Nov 2018, 9:39 pm

Croatia have beaten the Spanish 3-2.

So it's perfectly simple - Croatia win on Sunday, they're in the final four. England win, they're in the final four. A draw, and Spain are in the final four.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 16 Nov 2018, 3:07 am

Rooney could still make that squad

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Nov 2018, 8:18 am

We should win the group. Home advantage, and the Croats have been done by the schedule, with only 48 hours to recover. Rakitic also missing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2018, 1:21 pm

Intriguing team selection. No Henderson (presumably injured?) and Alli on the bench. Barkley, Dier and Delph in midfield. But a good front three, at least, with Sterling/Kane/Rashford.

Expecting an England win by two or three.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2018, 2:50 pm

England totally outplaying Croatia, but not yet registering it on the scoreboard. Great to see an England side passing it out from the back, being tactically fluid and creating so much. We've only had to wait 20 years to see it!

Barkley and Delph are running the midfield, best games I've seen them have in an England shirt. The pace of Sterling and Rashford is a constant worry to the Croats. Alli and Sancho to come off the bench, if need be.

Just got to get that first goal.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2018, 3:16 pm

England 0-1 Croatia

Not ruthless enough are England. Sterling and Rashford mostly to blame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2018, 3:35 pm

1-1 Lingard tap in

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2018, 3:36 pm

Ugliest goal I’ve ever seen. Grandstand finish time.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2018, 3:43 pm

Harry fecking Kane, yes!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2018, 3:53 pm

Football's glorious. England play so much attractive football and their two goals come courtesy of tap-ins. Added bonus that Croatia got relegated.

Love pretty much everything about this England squad and coaching set up. Now off on a summer holiday to Portugal...two games from glory.

Glorious.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 18 Nov 2018, 4:43 pm

Brilliant win - should have been by much more, but the fact we are winning and still moaning about chances missed against the world cup finalists shows how far this team has come...

Some serious young talent coming through. When you're bringing Sancho/Lingard off the bench that's pretty handy...

A word for the CBs too - thought Stones and Gomez were brilliant.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Nov 2018, 9:25 pm

Nations League Semi-Finalists

Portugal
England
Switzerland
France or Netherlands

Terrible line-up

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 18 Nov 2018, 9:56 pm

Can hardly bemoan them their places. The Swiss have just battered the Belgians, who would be seen as much better. Netherlands and France have both pissed on the Germans so far and have talent.

Well done the lads. Delph ran the show for England for a lot of that game, whilst Barkley is still fine tuning away from being excellent but shows that he’s an asset. Still think Dier can be upgraded on, just need to sort out where Rice is gonna choose to play.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Nov 2018, 10:23 pm

Just John wrote:Nations League Semi-Finalists

Portugal
England
Switzerland
France or Netherlands

Terrible line-up

England favourites to win a tournament and end all those years of hurt and misery. laughing

In all seriousness, the Dutch will probably get through and they look a very capable side again. Switzerland just put five past Belgium, so can't be written off (even if they did lose to Qatar the other day). And the Portuguese have home advantage and Cr7 (hello 2004).

Think England will be hoping to draw the Swiss in the first semi-final. Very exciting times for the English football team whichever way this tournament goes; they have by far the best youth teams in the world and the seniors are no longer cowed, it seems, by playing tier one nations.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Nov 2018, 8:52 am

Portugal made it to this semi final without CR7 even playing. Swiss couldn’t even beat Sweden at the WC. Netherlands didn’t even make the WC, and are now somehow rejuvenated with Ryan Babel and Daley Blind. Laughable stuff.

It’s a tin pot tournament

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 19 Nov 2018, 9:09 am

Just John wrote:Portugal made it to this semi final without CR7 even playing. Swiss couldn’t even beat Sweden at the WC. Netherlands didn’t even make the WC, and are now somehow rejuvenated with Ryan Babel and Daley Blind. Laughable stuff.

It’s a tin pot tournament

still much better than endless friendlies though

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 19 Nov 2018, 9:54 am

Yeah but some people didn’t do something in summer so must be awful.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 19 Nov 2018, 8:12 pm

This is preferable to friendlies, but less in season international football gets my vote.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 19 Nov 2018, 9:46 pm

Netherlands through to the final four after scoring two goals in the last five minutes to rescue themselves against the Germans. Sickener for the French. This has been a tremendous tournament and, though I was initially sceptical, it has been a great shot in the arm for international football.

Rather than mismatched qualifying games and crap friendlies, we’re regularly seeing proper contests in a competitive element. Lower ranked nations have chances to develop through playing similar standard teams, promotion and relegation is something all fans identify with, and international heavyweights are playing regularly against each other (competitively).

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 02 Dec 2018, 1:10 pm

England get the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Montenegro and Kosovo in Euro 2020 qualifying. If England somehow don't finish in the top two, they'll still be entered into the playoffs for qualification. It's impossible that England won't qualify!

Poor Northern Ireland get both the Dutch and the Germans.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next