The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

+60
Kingshu
uncle_nigel
The Great Aukster
king_carlos
RuggerRadge2611
rapidsnowman
Gwlad
RiscaGame
Barney McGrew did it
mckay1402
Pot Hale
True Raven
exile jack
irnbrew
aucklandlaurie
beshocked
propdavid_london
eirebilly
BigTrevsbigmac
TJ
Sin é
SecretFly
Notch
quinsforever
Exiledinborders
wayne
WELL-PAST-IT
kingelderfield
Welly
reallybored
offload
tigertattie
nathan
theslosty
BamBam
Tattie Scones RRN
Rugby Fan
R!skysports
lostinwales
Rory_Gallagher
TightHEAD
Gooseberry
yappysnap
LeinsterFan4life
majesticimperialman
Breadvan
GLove39
brennomac
LordDowlais
munkian
fa0019
LondonTiger
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
international198
Poorfour
No 7&1/2
Cyril
mikey_dragon
GunsGerms
64 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 2 Empty Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by GunsGerms Tue 06 Sep 2016, 11:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Apparently, according to Ian McGeechan anyway Gatland has been given the job again.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by munkian Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:30 pm

I dont think Best will make this tour - he was awful on the last tour.

I don't know who it will be but I guarantee it will be a forward.

As much as I love AWJ I don't know if he'll make this tour as there are so many talented young locks around, especially in England.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:32 pm

Regardless of Gatland being coach, there will be fewer Welsh players in the Lions squad this time, simply because they are not as high up the international chain as they were last time; in the previous two seasons, they'd come exceedingly close to a WC final, and had won the two 6N championships, one a GS. This time, aside from a few decent performances in the RWC '15, Wales are some way off, particularly with the resurgence of England.

It would be naive to expect England's trajectory of improvement to continue at its current rate, but they will likely be there or thereabouts during the coming 6N and AI. With Scotland also seemingly in a golden position of having a genuinely competitive 15-23 for the first time for a while, and Ireland something of an unknown, if potent, quantity in a period of transition, it looks unlikely that  Wales- in a season where they will be without their head coach- can turn their form around so dramatically as to beocome as big a player as they were during the lead up to the last tour.

In short, Wales are not as good relative to the other European and SH countries now as they were four years ago. Their last genuinely world class performance, in my view, was against South Africa two Summers ago, where even then they grasped defeat from the jaws of victory (again). They've been treading water a little bit for a while, and whilst they can get away with it for Wales, that doesn't get you selected for the Lions.

There are several players who have the talent, or aptitude, to be Lions, but will need a few big performances in the big games to earn their place: namely, Samson Lee, AWJ, Biggar, Jon Davies.

There are several who stand a good or fair chance of going, but as they're not stand out names, they would need a very good season, no injury worries, and perhaps an injury or two to a player in their position from another country. They are: Ken Owens, Bradley Davies, Dan Lydiate, Justin Tipuric, Scott Williams, and at a push perhaps Gareth Davies.

Of those who are all but nailed on if fit, I would say there is only Rhys Webb, George North, Taulupe Faletau, and Sam Warburton.

Then there are a few anomalies. I would add Liam Williams to the nailed on list, as I'm sure many Welsh fans would, but he's not to Gatland's liking. He may well miss out, despite his genuine brilliance in several facets of play, because of Gatland's desire to play a certain way. On the flipside, Leigh Halfpenny is currently a bit of an unknown entity having missed a full season. I would say he doesn't look likely at this stage, purely because Liam Williams is the incumbent and he lacks fundamental things that Liam Williams excels at, however it may well be that Liam Williams is dropped, or pushed to the wing, for Halfpenny once the latter returns. The final anomaly would be Jamie Roberts. Perhaps this is too much of my personal bias coming into play, as I wouldn't have him starting for Wales, but I'm not sure if he will go. He could easily be the Test starter at 12 as it's Gatland selecting, yet equally- despite his pedigree, and all round demeanour as a good egg on tour- he could find himself left at home, such is the depth of varied choices he has to consider in the inside centre (or even second 5/8th) position.

Also, I cannot look past Warburton for captain. He's one of Wales's genuinely world class players, and despite his injury problems, and perhaps leadership deficiencies, if there's one thing Gatland likes, it's sticking with what has previously worked, and what he trusts. Warburton is all of those things. He's also one of the few players I think able to genuinely go toe to toe with NZ in terms of intensity and reading of the game, if perhaps not in footballing skill, in the NH, not just from Wales.

English rugby has always seemed a better fit for Gatland's preferred style of play. If they win the 6N, I don't think we have to worry too much about calls of Welsh bias. Or perhaps we will unless the squad is 75% English. I'm not going to hope to predict the views of 606.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:35 pm

I'd say the Welsh 9/10 were the two guaranteed Welsh names in the squad myself.

When was Biggar's last 'bad' game ?

What are Warburton's leadership deficiencies ? The refs love him, it why he was picked as Captain for the last tour.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:36 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
munkian wrote:Completely ignoring the fact that it was Faletau's turn over that got us back in control of that game..

Why is it always about the Welsh with some of you. It's the Lions.

It's always about the Welsh because evidently some English, Scottish and plenty of Irish are still bitter over the make-up of the team in the third test.

Don't think any of us Scots are bitter. We all know, deep down, that it was Richie Gray who won us the tour.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:38 pm

munkian wrote:I'd say the Welsh 9/10 were the two guaranteed Welsh names in the squad myself.

What are Warburton's leadership deficiencies ? The refs love him, it why he was picked as Captain for the last tour.

Guaranteed in the touring squad, but I'm not sure about the XV. Which 9 anyway, Webb or Davies? I'd take both on tour.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:38 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yup very. Good player but picked on rep not performance at the time or what was best for the team. Thought that 3rd test was a real step up. Led by Corbs and SOB. Pack really on top enabled us to win handsomely ignoring the fact that in midfield (avoiding it as it'll lead to a load of waffle) that Roberts was coming back from injuryand BOD outplayed Davies in the 1st and 2nd tests (return of the national combo sillyness).

Hmmmmm.... interesting, please read this:-

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/jul/06/australia-lions-player-ratings

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:40 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
munkian wrote:I'd say the Welsh 9/10 were the two guaranteed Welsh names in the squad myself.

Guaranteed in the touring squad, but I'm not sure about the XV. Which 9 anyway, Webb or Davies? I'd take both on tour.

Webb for me - Davies is great athlete but not as good at 9, he can be as frustratingly slow as Phillips.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:41 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
munkian wrote:Completely ignoring the fact that it was Faletau's turn over that got us back in control of that game..

It's always about the Welsh because evidently some English, Scottish and plenty of Irish are still bitter over the make-up of the team in the third test.

Don't think any of us Scots are bitter. We all know, deep down, that it was Richie Gray who won us the tour.

Huge impact from the bench ! Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:44 pm

Leigh Halfpenny has to go on tour. He's the best player in Britain & Ireland, IMO.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:44 pm

Also, and I will say this now. I do not think we will be fortunate to lose anybody through injury. That really is a nasty thing to say.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:45 pm

I thought Biggar had a pretty flat season after the World Cup, and reverted back to type for Wales by standing a bit too deep, and not getting the backs moving. Of course, his performance doesn't exist in isolation, the pack was also a bit flatter* in the 6N than during the WC, but he didn't maintain his level of performance as the season went on, let alone better it. As he is deficient anyway with regards to certain aspects of his game, most notably the footballing side of things, he's far from nailed on when you consider Ford is a far better footballer, Farrell more versatile and on the same level with regards to many of Biggar's qualities, Sexton has more pedigree and also a better distributor of ball in hand. He may well go, because he's probably the best tactical kicker of the lot, but at this stage, I'm talking only of Welsh players that are nailed on as it stands, and there are only four obvious ones for me. If you add Halfpenny into the equation as a goal-kicker, his case becomes even weaker.

Warburton clearly isn't the greatest team tactician, nor the most vocal leader. His selection as captain was made very much with the view of him growing into the role, which he has done and continues to do so. He's more reliant on lieutenants like AWJ, Gethin Jenkins, and BOD and POC for the Lions, than a traditional captain or leader, particularly for a forward. He leads by example with regards to his sheer desire to leave everything out on the field, hence the frequency of his injuries, and I think his apparently incredible levels of dedication to his job must rub off on his team mates. Yet for all that, there are evidently weaknesses to his leadership on the field, weaknesses that can certainly be mitigated by clever selection, but they are there nonetheless.

*flatter in the sense of less 'in your face', rather than flat to the gainline

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:46 pm

Leigh Halfpenny has to go on tour. He's the best player in Britain & Ireland, IMO.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:50 pm

international198 wrote:Leigh Halfpenny has to go on tour. He's the best player in Britain & Ireland, IMO.

So good you posted twice.

Could be hard to gain Lions selection if Wales ignore him as you demanded on another thread.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:53 pm

munkian wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

Huge impact from the bench ! Very Happy

Damn right. Game changer. Colossus. World Class.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:55 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Could be hard to gain Lions selection if Wales ignore him as you demanded on another thread.

I've changed my mind. I don't want Wales to ignore him. I want Wales to select him at fullback against Australia on November 5th 2016, against Argentina on November 12th 2016, against Japan on November 19th 2016 and against South Africa on November 26th 2016.

Last edited by international198 on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:54 pm; edited 4 times in total

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Sep 2016, 4:55 pm

munkian wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Webb for me - Davies is great athlete but not as good at 9, he can be as frustratingly slow as Phillips.

I'd agree. Webb is the cleverer and slicker of the two, albeit Davies at his best is pure box office breaking from the back of the scrum/ruck. It's a position I think Wales have nailed down, with the third scrum half spot being contested between Murray, Laidlaw and Youngs (I'd go with Murray).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2016, 5:05 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
munkian wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I'd agree. Webb is the cleverer and slicker of the two, albeit Davies at his best is pure box office breaking from the back of the scrum/ruck. It's a position I think Wales have nailed down, with the third scrum half spot being contested between Murray, Laidlaw and Youngs (I'd go with Murray).

Whilst I would agree with you 12-9 months ago, this is no longer the case. Gareth Davies really dropped off towards the end of the season, for both the Scarlets and Wales, and whereas at one point it was questionable whether Webb would reclaim the starting shirt once fit, now there's little doubt. Gareth Davies has put in too many performances that have lacked in leadersip, rugby intelligence, and at its most basic level, the awareness of being in a team. Far too frequently his decision with what to do with the ball, or where to direct the pack (or not as the case may be), seems to show a serious lack of sympathy and understanding of what is the best thing to do to help out or create opportunities that benefit his teammates, namely the pack and the outside half.

The good news is, I think in part it's his discomfort with suddenly being thrust into a position of significant leadership, in a position that- in the modern game- is effectively the general and the coach on the field of play. That can all be overcome with experience and game time, until he no longer feels the need to simply play 'instinctively', i.e. scoring incredible 60 yard tries relying on his pace and swerve. The bad news is, to be selected for the Lions, time is against him. Furthermore, unless Webb gets injured, he won't get too much game time for Wales, meaning his time in the shop window is relatively small. That's fine for doing the flash stuff, but we all know he can do that: it's controlling a game, and making the right decision time after time, where he needs to prove himself.

I'm not ruling him out, but he's a long way from being second choice at this stage. Hopefully he has a great season for club and country and makes it.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 5:47 pm

munkian wrote:I think 7 1/2 is possibly too young for pop corn...

Problems start when people see the issues some have with Gatland last time as a dig at a Welsh Johnny-Five refuse to debate anything as we won and resort to insults.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 5:49 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Yup very. Good player but picked on rep not performance at the time or what was best for the team. Thought that 3rd test was a real step up. Led by Corbs and SOB. Pack really on top enabled us to win handsomely ignoring the fact that in midfield (avoiding it as it'll lead to a load of waffle) that Roberts was coming back from injuryand BOD outplayed Davies in the 1st and 2nd tests (return of the national combo sillyness).

Yup, have done. And?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Tue 06 Sep 2016, 5:49 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:It's the right appointment. Who he selects as his assistants will be crucial though, as will be the tour strategy (i.e. number of players selected, back-up player contingencies and game plan).

This is the toughest of all the tours by a country mile, and NZ are in outstanding form.
Yes. Views on assistants will vary wildly but I would love to see Cotter as forwards coach, Gustard as defence coach and my wife as attack coach.

She likes a good attack.

Cotter, Gustard and Schmidt would be a dream team for my money - no offence to your wife. Not sure they'd sign-up though.

Schmidt thankfully ruled himself

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 5:50 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Also, and I will say this now. I do not think we will be fortunate to lose anybody through injury. That really is a nasty thing to say.

Why? Even at the time it was seen as a blessing in disguise.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:06 pm

Not by , y'know, actual rugby fans
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:37 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yup, have done. And?

It does not put SOB as the stand out player that led the Lions to victory.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:39 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Also, and I will say this now. I do not think we will be fortunate to lose anybody through injury. That really is a nasty thing to say.

What kind of sicko see's a person's misfortune as a whole nations fortune ? I would not see any players injury as fortunate, to anyone.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yup, have done. And?

And?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:49 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

What kind of sicko see's a person's misfortune as a whole nations fortune ? I would not see any players injury as fortunate, to anyone.

In relation to the 3rd test it was fortunnate as it had become obvious he was undroppable. Without that its doubtful we would have seen the change.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:51 pm

munkian wrote:Not by , y'know, actual rugby fans

Really? I think there were a fair few wanting to see him dropped which wasn't going to happen.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:54 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yup, have done. And?

And?

AND, you said he was.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Sep 2016, 6:57 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

In relation to the 3rd test it was fortunnate as it had become obvious he was undroppable. Without that its doubtful we would have seen the change.

What difference would have dropping Warburton or not have made ? SOB was not the sole reason why 10/11 Welsh players, along with a few other put 41pts on Australia.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Yup, have done. And?

And?

AND, you said he was.

Ah ok. You always agree with Guardian ratings then, I obviously don't.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:10 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

What difference would have dropping Warburton or not have made ? SOB was not the sole reason why 10/11 Welsh players, along with a few other put 41pts on Australia.

Just small incremental gains.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:16 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Just small incremental gains.

Which, for you, sounds like, less Welsh, no matter what their ability is. I knew we would get your true colours sooner or later.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Just small incremental gains.

Which, for you, sounds like, less Welsh, no matter what their ability is. I knew we would get your true colours sooner or later.

Well we're talking Lions which means they're all top players and we don't have to only pick certain ones as theres a massive drop in quality or limit ourselves to one style of play as we don't have options. I felt we did limit ourselves last time out ignored form in a few places to the cost of the team. Last time I checked Hibbard was Welsh but ignore points made and focus on anti Welsh fog.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 06 Sep 2016, 7:43 pm

I wouldn't be so sure...

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 2 CrsOjbDXgAAb17Q

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 06 Sep 2016, 8:13 pm

Conor Murray replacing the woeful Philips turned the game imo. The midfield finally had decent quick ball which eventually led to the Lions running away with it.
Gatland was the stand out coach then, this time I think its more to do with who didn't want the gig but good luck to him. he knows what the Lions ethos is all about.
I wonder who his coaches will be?
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 06 Sep 2016, 8:14 pm

Did any one think it would be any body else but Gatland?

It all depends on the players that he selects for the Lions. "Form players" over favourite players.

What will the game plan be? His plan worked last time( not selecting Bod) and selecting Davies instead. But was that more luck the judgement? I guess it is a wait and see game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 06 Sep 2016, 8:39 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Did any one think it would be any body else but Gatland?

It all depends on the players that he selects for the Lions. "Form players" over favourite players.

What will the game plan be? His plan worked last time( not selecting Bod) and selecting Davies instead. But was that more luck the judgement? I guess it is a wait and see game.

It was more that was the worst performing Australian team we've seen and the Lions still just barely beat them. I think just beating the Maori will be a good result after seeing what they did to Wales. NZ are once again looking imperious, even with them blooding new players.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 06 Sep 2016, 8:42 pm

None of the current country captains look like an obvious choice, though Gatland will probably go with Warburton again.

Personally, I think the best candidate could well be Itoje. If you're looking for a test match animal, I can't think of a current player who better exemplifies the breed.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 06 Sep 2016, 9:50 pm

Do we want Itoje to go? He's in a winning environment at the mo, I don't know what sort of environment Gatland builds but it ain't that.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 07 Sep 2016, 8:20 am

I'd be very surprised if he isn't deemed good enough for a starting place next summer. Don't give a stuff about a 'winning environment'.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:08 am

yappysnap wrote:Do we want Itoje to go? He's in a winning environment at the mo, I don't know what sort of environment Gatland builds but it ain't that.

I don't think "we" get a choice. Eddie's clear that he wants to see a lot of English players selected, and if Itoje maintains his form it would be almost wilfully daft not to select him. Oh, hang on a minute...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:08 am

should Maro still have his unbeaten streak goinghe will almost certainly play, perhaps surrounded by:

Halfpenny, Liam Williams, Davies, Roberts, North, biggar, Webb, Faletau, Warburton, Lydiate, AWJ, Lee, Owens & Jenkins

Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:16 am

Breadvan wrote:Conor Murray replacing the woeful Philips turned the game imo. The midfield finally had decent quick ball which eventually led to the Lions running away with it.
Gatland was the stand out coach then, this time I think its more to do with who didn't want the gig but good luck to him. he knows what the Lions ethos is all about.
I wonder who his coaches will be?

Phillips who setup the first try ? Woeful is a little harsh. It was Faletau's turnover that led to our comeback in the 2nd half - the resulting try broke the Aussie back.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:18 am

yappysnap wrote:Do we want Itoje to go? He's in a winning environment at the mo, I don't know what sort of environment Gatland builds but it ain't that.

His 6 Nations and Lions record says otherwise but I'm sure you know more than the Lions board.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:25 am

Least surprising announcement since my Southern Rail train delay.
Was there another realistic option?

I dont really see Cole as a Capatin, hes a very quiet "get on with his own job" kind of guy, and certainly not media friendly. A big part of being tour Captain is being the face, and whilst Gatland is good at taking the brunt of the media ( by being such a troll himself) I just dont see someone like Cole being comfortable with it at all.

Hartley would be a good option, his temprament hasnt been an issue so far during his capatiancy for England and hes always going to be amongst the favourites to start in his own position. No problems balancing a backrow etc with him in. The real thing for me is that you'd have two Kiwis as the leadership, and two who have an almost Austrlian like love of getting under the oppositions skins...it will genuinely annoy people to see the Lions led by "traitors". The jibes will come in thick and fast and the NZ Herald will go into meltdown over it, Hartley and Gatland are the sort of charatchers who will enjoy the attention and being boo boys.

The only other option is Warburton who has done the job well previously and has bags of capataincy experience. The major issue there being in many peoples eyes hes not even the best in his position for Wales, and would struggle to make many peoples 23 let alone 15 for the Lions. Theres trust and a strong working relationship there too, and it could also help stop what may be and England player heavy side feel cliquey.
Part of the desicion may come down to how Gatland wants to balance his backrow and whether he wants to go with Englands model of having people run around smashing into the opposition or have players who try and pick the ball up.

Having different players avaialble who are capable of playing a different style may just tempt Gatland to deviate from Walesball.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:51 am

Poor choice for the Lions and Wales.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:55 am

TightHEAD wrote:Poor choice for the Lions and Wales.

Who would your choice be ?

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:56 am

I wouldn't go, its an outdated format that destroys players.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 07 Sep 2016, 9:59 am

TightHEAD wrote:I wouldn't go, its an outdated format that destroys players.

So why do you care who their coach is ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 07 Sep 2016, 10:03 am

Because when the England players get back they will be battered and bruised, and it will be for nothing if Gatland is in charge as his game plan and tactics don't work against SH opposition.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next