The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Buzz about the Pro 12?

5 posters

Go down

A Buzz about the Pro 12? Empty A Buzz about the Pro 12?

Post by Kingshu Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:33 am

Have to say I think there is a real Buzz about the League this year.
The H-cup used to be seen as the biggest games of the season and the league the bread and butter, but for the first time I find myself not being that bothered about Europe, and more excited about the Pro 12.

Martin Anayi has only been in his role for a year and has already made some great changes, it may not all be done to him, but he certainly appears to be the driving force behind this.

Better TV scheduling with very few Sunday games (and these seem to only be when there is a clash, and no real alternative), most teams are generally pretty positive about the schedules they have.
Have planned it with Big Event weekends throughout the year.
Secured Guinness as sponsor.
Neutral TMO's
Making the final a big event, for the League not just the teams involved.

A lot of the things that people complained about have been addressed or appears to be in the process of being addressed, and to be fair this has happened at a much quicker pace than I expected it would.

It appears that the scheduling is further being looked at to have internationals play more often, maybe move to a conference system, introduce US teams, increase revenue., its building a future.

Overall I'm very positive about the Pro 12 and where it is going, I was worried before the start of the Summer that we would fall behind the French and English, and it appears that if we do we will go down fighting.

In contrast since the H-Cup became the RCC I've grown less interested in it. This may be down to Irish teams not doing as well, but I also think it is missing some of the hype it used to have, this may be down to it being split between two networks. Overall though I just don't think it has the prestige it used to have. The French always ranked it 2nd to the League, the English I believe are also starting to see it that way, and I think with the Pro 12 improvements, the Pro 12 is becoming more important.

All in all I think there is a Buzz about the Pro 12 this year, the organisers have done a great job so far, changes are positive, there appears to be a future, and on top of that there are 9 teams that have a realistic chance of making the Playoffs. It looks set to be the closest most exciting season yet.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

A Buzz about the Pro 12? Empty Re: A Buzz about the Pro 12?

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:03 pm

A lot of the issues with Champions Cup rugby are down to scheduling. The French are increasingly focused on the league to avoid relegation, the English and the Pro 12 do not have the kind of budgets to fight it out with top French sides that do show an interest and the English also have greater interest in making top 4 or avoiding relegation than they used to.

I am positive about the Pro 12 this year after last year's craziness. There does seem to be an improvement in marketing and the neutral TMO's are a step in the right direction. Centrally contracted refs are the next step the administrators can realistically enact. Further changes to the format seem to be thought about and explored. The TV deal will be the big test after 2018. If they can get it right in terms of improved financial terms and broadcasting (Proper Highlights Show not just for the Welsh!) as well as whatever formatting changes will be enacted, the Pro 12 can compete.

Things like having a rising Italian team and moving the 6 Nations to April are outside of their control but could make a huge difference. The style of play is more exciting than the English and French leagues (barring 3-4 exceptions) so should start attracting neutral fans if they can get it right.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:29 pm

I don't think English clubs are seeing the Champions Cup as behind the League, Just that the League is more attainable for clubs.

A lot of the AP clubs bar Sarries and Exeter are or have been going through big transitions really, and it is prob more unrealistic to be targeting winning the Champions Cup ATM.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Kingshu wrote:The H-cup used to be seen as the biggest games of the season and the league the bread and butter, but for the first time I find myself not being that bothered about Europe, and more excited about the Pro 12

i lost interest in European rugby when the changes were forced on us. The league should always be seen as our bread and butter. It is ours, and we need to make it work.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Definitely a much better buzz around the PRO12. Hopefully the Welsh and Italian teams are more competitive this year without RWC restrictions. Looking forward to the opening matches next week.

The European comp will still be of interest to some of the clubs I reckon and hopefully some of the usual suspects make it through to the knockout stages.

Ideally, if the season can get re-structured so that it goes league, Nov tests, league, euro cups, and then Six Nations in April/May would be even better.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down