The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

+23
No 7&1/2
IanBru
RDW
carpet baboon
Welly
formerly known as Sam
dragon999
offload
glamorganalun
ScarletSpiderman
LordDowlais
Breadvan
PhilBB
Seagultaf
Cardiff Dave
dragon4life
GavinDragon
mikey_dragon
munkian
Stone Motif
wayne
RiscaGame
Luckless Pedestrian
27 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread - Page 4 Empty Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 04 Aug 2016, 2:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seeing as no one else has set one up, I thought I'd start a 2016/17 season thread for the mighty Dragons.

The Dragons website doesn't have a straightforward list of the squad members, so the best I can do is a link to the page:

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/Teams/Squad/Dragons

Fri, 05 Aug 2016      Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404 Parc Erias, Colwyn Bay F
Fri, 12 Aug 2016        Cardiff Blues Rodney Parade, Newport F
Sat, 20 Aug 2016        Ealing Trailfinders CCBC Centre for Sporting Excellence, Ystrad Mynach F
Fri, 26 Aug 2016        Exeter Chiefs Rodney Parade, Newport F

Fri, 02 Sep 2016        Ulster Kingspan Stadium, Belfast GP12 BBC N Ireland
Fri, 09 Sep 2016        Zebre Rugby Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sat, 17 Sep 2016               Munster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 Sky Sports
Fri, 23 Sep 2016        Benetton Rugby Treviso Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso GP12
Fri, 30 Sep 2016        Glasgow Warriors Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 BBC Two Wales

Sat, 08 Oct 2016        Scarlets Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli GP12 S4C
Sat, 29 Oct 2016        Ospreys Liberty Stadium, Swansea GP12 S4C, Sky Sports

Fri, 04 Nov 2016        Connacht Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sat, 12 Nov 2016        Leicester Tigers Welford Road, Leicester AWC
Fri, 18 Nov 2016         Scarlets Rodney Parade, Newport AWC
Sun, 27 Nov 2016        Edinburgh Rugby Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 S4C

Sat, 03 Dec 2016        Leinster Royal Dublin Society, Dublin GP12 S4C
Mon, 26 Dec 2016        Cardiff Blues Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff GP12 BBC Two Wales

Sun, 01 Jan 2017        Ospreys Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 BBC Two Wales
Fri, 06 Jan 2017      Benetton Rugby Treviso Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sun, 29 Jan 2017        Newcastle Falcons Rodney Parade, Newport AWC

Sat, 04 Feb 2017        Gloucester Rugby Kingsholm, Gloucester AWC
10/11/12 Feb 2017        Munster Thomond Park, Limerick GP12
17/18/19 Feb 2017        Connacht The Sportsground, Galway GP12
24/25/26 Feb 2017        Leinster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

3/4/5 Mar 2017             Glasgow Warriors Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow GP12
24/25/26 Mar 2017        Ulster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

7/8/9 Apr 2017      Zebre Rugby Stadio XXV Aprile, Parma GP12
Sat, 15 Apr 2017      Scarlets Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
28/29/30 Apr 2017        Edinburgh Rugby Murrayfield, Edinburgh GP12

Sat, 06 May 2017        Cardiff Blues Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:01 am

Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
Just need the intensity of play to trickle down to regional level now, and again further to prem, to keep driving standards and narrow the gap.

Never gonna happen

Just give up and go home then shall we Stone as what's the point otherwise?

Also works from bottom up. I coach my u11s and everything we do now is emphasising skills under press. For example, we will have them playing a simple game of touch rugby, then whistle goes and they have to run to far corner of pitches and come straight back into the game where we expect same level of basic skills....and I know we are not the only side who train like that.

It doesn't though. You're trying to connect things that should fundamentally be disconnected. Amateur game has no bearing on what goes on in the world of the increasingly limited pool of genetic freaks that comprise he pro rugby playing population of Wales.

On top of that then yes, if we don't tie in to a bigger league product sharpish the pro game will be moribund within a decade.

So you are saying it doesn't really matter how well I coach my U11's as it has no bearing on the professional game?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:02 am

GavinDragon wrote:
So you are saying it doesn't really matter how well I coach my U11's as it has no bearing on the professional game?

I'm surprised that you're asking that question.

What guidance to the WRU provide to you on how to coach your team?
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:04 am

PhilBB wrote:When asked how many ST had been sold, Stuart Davies claimed that he did not know.

From that, I can only draw two conclusions:

1. He doesn't know, so is there incompetent.
2. He does know, but they are so bad that he didn't want to make the number publicly known.

If point 2 is correct, I would question the value of holding a Supporters's Q&A if there is no honesty in the answers provided to difficult questions. Maybe that's why so few turned up, as they'd experienced something similar at previous events.

And as I pointed out on Twitter, you comment an awful lot on the Dragons for someone who is meant to be a Cardiff fan #closetdragon

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:06 am

GavinDragon wrote:
And as I pointed out on Twitter, you comment an awful lot on the Dragons for someone who is meant to be a Cardiff fan #closetdragon

And, as I responded to you, once you've been a fan for more than five minutes you will properly understand rivalry and how it hurts to see a great rugby club like Newport, our 130 years plus rivals, being driven into the ground on the back of a false dogma.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:08 am

It starts raining and PhillBB resurfaces Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:18 am

GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
Just need the intensity of play to trickle down to regional level now, and again further to prem, to keep driving standards and narrow the gap.

Never gonna happen

Also works from bottom up. I coach my u11s and everything we do now is emphasising skills under press. For example, we will have them playing a simple game of touch rugby, then whistle goes and they have to run to far corner of pitches and come straight back into the game where we expect same level of basic skills....and I know we are not the only side who train like that.

It doesn't though. You're trying to connect things that should fundamentally be disconnected. Amateur game has no bearing on what goes on in the world of the increasingly limited pool of genetic freaks that comprise he pro rugby playing population of Wales.

On top of that then yes, if we don't tie in to a bigger league product sharpish the pro game will be moribund within a decade.

Sorry to say but yep. Not that it's any less admirable.

How many of them have the potential to make it as a pro player?

Whose academy will they learn to be pros in when our game is bust?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:27 am

Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

Never gonna happen

Well I am sorry, that shows how ignorant you are about the player pathway in Wales.

Take your point about the potential for pro's. 1 of ours, possibly, could play at a high level. But it is not about the 1, it is about improving the whole pool so that those few who do have the potential have to work even harder and be even better in order to make it - which is one of the reasons why the AB's are so bloody good.

I speak to Newport Schools U15's coaches (you know, where the pathway to pro rugby really kicks in) who say that in the past they have had to put their players on an intensive passing course because those players they take in do not have that basic skills, and this seriously hampers what they can do with them and stunts their progression.

In fairness the WRU and regions are taking big steps to improve the quality of coaching at all levels, in particular mini rugby as they appreciate that is where our next Welsh internationals come from. If the basic skills improve across all U8's teams in the country that will ripple through so that by the time they reach Newport/Pontypool/BG/Islwyn schools they have those basics and they can just build on that with improved execution, introduction to S&C so that by the time they reach Dragons South/North U16s and Dragons U18s they are a de facto professional player with the necessary skills to do well on the regional and international level.

IF that does not start at under 8's, you have what we have had for the last number of years, excellent athletes and gym freaks who haven't got those skills and can't execute them when under pressure in high intensity games e.g Jonathan Davies saying he needed to work on his passing, Sam Warburton saying he wasn't taught to pass until 17.

How you can argue to the contrary is beyond me.

Last edited by GavinDragon on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:30 am

Not to mention that those 1 or two players at each club who could go on to a higher level need players to play with and against at a mini and junior level. Surely it is better for their development to be playing with and against players who have a higher skillset so that they in turn have to develop their own?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:40 am

GavinDragon wrote: Sam Warburton saying he wasn't taught to pass until 17.

What's this?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:42 am

Oh and BTW for all the above to happen, you require strong community clubs with AMATEUR volunteers. Without that, kids rugby in Wales dies and you would be relying on the WRU or regions to massively increase their spend on hub officers to run the development of players via schools. Something which would be tricky given 1) The WRU can barely afford to keep their own welsh players in Wales let alone employ an army of hub officers 2) Not every school in Wales plays rugby or has staff who are keen on rugby 3) The regions have even less money than the WRU.

That, sir, is why and how the amateur game and professional game is linked and why it will always be so. Just about every person in Wales who actually has an active involvement in rugby, be that administration, playing, coaching, knows it.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:44 am

PhilBB wrote:

What's this?

Trust you to pick out the one Cardiff reference in all of that

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-captain-sam-warburton-admits-10415311

“At 16 I was taught to jackal, make good tackles and do my lineout work. But New Zealanders are so good at making three on two’s count – I was probably about 20 when I realised I had to draw somebody and time my pass.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:50 am

GavinDragon wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

What's this?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-captain-sam-warburton-admits-10415311

“At 16 I was taught to jackal, make good tackles and do my lineout work. But New Zealanders are so good at making three on two’s count – I was probably about 20 when I realised I had to draw somebody and time my pass.

Right, I'm not sure how you got from that from that to "Sam Warburton saying he wasn't taught to pass until 17" in all fairness.

I was listenting to Michael Vaughan this week and he noted that he wasn't trained on how to catch a cricket ball until the final two years of his England career.

In other words, the coaching at junior level has always been insufficient in sport until very, very recently. It's good to read that it is finally being joined up and congrats to you on the role you're playing in that.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:52 am

GavinDragon wrote:Oh and BTW for all the above to happen, you require strong community clubs with AMATEUR volunteers. Without that, kids rugby in Wales dies and you would be relying on the WRU or regions to massively increase their spend on hub officers to run the development of players via schools. Something which would be tricky given 1) The WRU can barely afford to keep their own welsh players in Wales let alone employ an army of hub officers 2) Not every school in Wales plays rugby or has staff who are keen on rugby 3) The regions have even less money than the WRU.

That, sir, is why and how the amateur game and professional game is linked and why it will always be so. Just about every person in Wales who actually has an active involvement in rugby, be that administration, playing, coaching, knows it.

This is why the funding of the Community game must be administered and budgeted for with a clear distinction from the professional game. Clubs should only receive payments based on their activities for infrastructure and their junior sections.

The money is there in Wales to see this through. It's just not administered properly.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:56 am

PhilBB wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

What's this?

Right, I'm not sure how you got from that from that to "Sam Warburton saying he didn't realise he had to draw and pass until 20" in all fairness.

I was listenting to Michael Vaughan this week and he noted that he wasn't trained on how to catch a cricket ball until the final two years of his England career.

In other words, the coaching at junior level has always been insufficient in sport until very, very recently. It's good to read that it is finally being joined up and congrats to you on the role you're playing in that.

There you go Phil. Accurate enough for you?

I don't need any congratulations. I love what I do, there is little more satisfying than watching the 'penny' drop when you're coaching a kid and things just click, or how much enjoyment they get from the game.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 9:58 am

PhilBB wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:Oh and BTW for all the above to happen, you require strong community clubs with AMATEUR volunteers. Without that, kids rugby in Wales dies and you would be relying on the WRU or regions to massively increase their spend on hub officers to run the development of players via schools. Something which would be tricky given 1) The WRU can barely afford to keep their own welsh players in Wales let alone employ an army of hub officers 2) Not every school in Wales plays rugby or has staff who are keen on rugby 3) The regions have even less money than the WRU.

This is why the funding of the Community game must be administered and budgeted for with a clear distinction from the professional game. Clubs should only receive payments based on their activities for infrastructure and their junior sections.

The money is there in Wales to see this through. It's just not administered properly.

Completely agree.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:05 am

GavinDragon wrote:

There you go Phil. Accurate enough for you?

I don't need any congratulations. I love what I do, there is little more satisfying than watching the 'penny' drop when you're coaching a kid and things just click, or how much enjoyment they get from the game.

No, that's miles off not being taught until he was 17. It reads as though he's talking about back rowers just trucking it up.

You should take congratulations, even if you don't need them.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:33 am

GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

Never gonna happen

Well I am sorry, that shows how ignorant you are about the player pathway in Wales.

Take your point about the potential for pro's. 1 of ours, possibly, could play at a high level. But it is not about the 1, it is about improving the whole pool so that those few who do have the potential have to work even harder and be even better in order to make it - which is one of the reasons why the AB's are so bloody good.

I speak to Newport Schools U15's coaches (you know, where the pathway to pro rugby really kicks in) who say that in the past they have had to put their players on an intensive passing course because those players they take in do not have that basic skills, and this seriously hampers what they can do with them and stunts their progression.

In fairness the WRU and regions are taking big steps to improve the quality of coaching at all levels, in particular mini rugby as they appreciate that is where our next Welsh internationals come from. If the basic skills improve across all U8's teams in the country that will ripple through so that by the time they reach Newport/Pontypool/BG/Islwyn schools they have those basics and they can just build on that with improved execution, introduction to S&C so that by the time they reach Dragons South/North U16s and Dragons U18s they are a de facto professional player with the necessary skills to do well on the regional and international level.

IF that does not start at under 8's, you have what we have had for the last number of years, excellent athletes and gym freaks who haven't got those skills and can't execute them when under pressure in high intensity games e.g Jonathan Davies saying he needed to work on his passing, Sam Warburton saying he wasn't taught to pass until 17.

How you can argue to the contrary is beyond me.

Because I am far from ignorant in terms of elite S&C which in fairness is not something you get from coaching under 11s. If you accept point 1 you can't argue the rest of your post. JD is a great example actually. You can teach a great athlete skills but you cannot coach an average athlete elite strength speed and power. I genuinely wish it were different and my cynicism in part derives from the global head in the sand over such issues of player welfare and rampant PEDs. But with the game as it is you can be an elite player with no skills and make make a successful career. You can be the best passer in the world but in danger of losing your life on a pro rugby field unless physically capable. For that reason you can never tie the two really, you coach athletes to be players in the pros and players to be athletes in the amateurs.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:49 am

So, in reality, what you are suggesting is that we can be successul by picking the biggest/most physically capable player for each position at say 16 (enough for each region) and then, without any consideration to prior coaching/technical ability, whip them into a professional playing pool from which Wales can go on and win a world cup?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:56 am

GavinDragon wrote:So, in reality, what you are suggesting is that we can be successul by picking the biggest/most physically capable player for each position at say 16 (enough for each region) and then, without any consideration to prior coaching/technical ability, whip them into a professional playing pool from which Wales can go on and win a world cup?

Which, of course, is complete nonsense. The idea that you can't train a lump to have better ball and decision making skills is utterly ludicrous.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:57 am

GavinDragon wrote:So, in reality, what you are suggesting is that we can be successul by picking the biggest/most physically capable player for each position at say 16 (enough for each region) and then, without any consideration to prior coaching/technical ability, whip them into a professional playing pool from which Wales can go on and win a world cup?

Not really. I'm saying only those physically capable should be anywhere near a pro rugby field, let alone being paid to play. You cannot equate the pro and amateur games anymore. Two different sports. You need to select the most physically capable first to have even a prayer. You wouldn't put the world's best amateur boxer in the ring with the P4P best pro in the world would you?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 11:04 am

Stone Motif wrote:

Not really. I'm saying only those physically capable should be anywhere near a pro rugby field, let alone being paid to play. You cannot equate the pro and amateur games anymore. Two different sports.  You need to select the most physically capable first to have even a prayer. You wouldn't put the world's best amateur boxer in the ring with the P4P best pro in the world would you?

But you can't tell at 8, 9 or 10 who is going to be physically capable.

So you upskill all and then the physically capable excel from 16 onwards.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 11:17 am

Here's how Walesonline readers see the season going:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/predict-how-guinness-pro12-table-11755469

I think the appropriate acronyms are WTF and FFS.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 11:27 am

PhilBB wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Not really. I'm saying only those physically capable should be anywhere near a pro rugby field, let alone being paid to play. You cannot equate the pro and amateur games anymore. Two different sports.  You need to select the most physically capable first to have even a prayer. You wouldn't put the world's best amateur boxer in the ring with the P4P best pro in the world would you?

Phil, that is three things we agree on now (this, Gatland out and Anglo/Welsh league), one more and I will start looking for horsemen.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 11:29 am

GavinDragon wrote:
Phil, that is three things we agree on now (this, Gatland out and Anglo/Welsh league), one more and I will start looking for horsemen.

It's taken me a while, but you are slowly seeing the light. Stick with it.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 19 Aug 2016, 12:03 pm

PhilBB wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:So, in reality, what you that we can be successul by picking the biggest/most physically capable player for each position at say 16 (enough for each region) and then, without any consideration to prior coaching/technical ability, whip them into a professional playing pool from which Wales can go on and win a world cup?

I'm not so sure anymore given the behemoths playing these days. I'd say serious speed was identifiable at an early age now.

But certainly you can't 'trickle down' pro intensity through better conditioning and skills at an early age.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 19 Aug 2016, 12:07 pm

Stone Motif wrote:

I'm not so sure anymore given the behemoths playing these days. I'd say serious speed was identifiable at an early age now.

But certainly you can't 'trickle down' pro intensity through better conditioning and skills at an early age.

You can't trickle down intensity, but you can trickle down its relevant nature.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 1:32 pm

Anyway - back to, y'know, the Dragons.. Rolling Eyes

Team for Ealing Trailfinders

Supporters will witness a blend of youth and experience, at the Centre of Sporting Excellence – Ystrad Mynach, in the squad that will take on the English outfit.

Fullback Geraint Rhys Jones gets the nod alongside wingers George Gasson and Aled Brew. A young centre partnership is named as Jack Dixon is joined by Barney Nightingale. Fly-half Angus O’Brien gets his first pre-season start and is joined in the half-backs by scrum-half Charlie Davies.

The front row sees props Keagan Bale and Shaun Knight get the nod alongside new signing, hooker Darran Harris. The second row sees Matthew Screech joined by newcomer Ashley Sweet and the back row sees the return of Wales U20s star Harrison Keddie, who is joined by James Benjamin and number 8 Ed Jackson.

After training within the Dragons squad throughout pre-season, Wales U20s star Harri Keddie commented; “Nobody wants to watch on a weekend after playing a part in training and we all want to leave a mark whenever we can so that we put our hands up for selection. I want to be seen as a real option for the coaches and to be involved in the squads on weekends, so Ealing is a good chance for all of us to set our stall out.

“We can set the tone and a big performance will put you in the shop window… so all of us are determined to give it our best shot on Saturday. It’s important to take any chances that come your way and after a good break I can’t wait to get out there.”

He continued; “It’s important to learn all the roles because you never know what can happen week to week. You have to be ready. This weekend I will be at 6 with Ed (Jackson) at 8 and I think that all of us in the back row will have to be versatile this season.”

The replacements bench sees a mixture of youth, talent and experience as Head Coach Kingsley Jones aims to give the remainder of the squad a run out before their final pre-season clash against hard hitting Exeter.

Newport Gwent Dragons team to face Ealing Trailfinders

15 Geraint Rhys Jones, 14 George Gasson, 13 Barney Nightingale, 12 Jack Dixon ©️, 11 Aled Brew, 10 Angus O’Brien, 9 Charlie Davies; 1 Keagan Bale, 2 Rhys Buckley, 3 Shaun Knight, 4 Matthew Screech, 5 Ashley Sweet, 6 Harri Keddie, 7 James Benjamin, 8 Ed Jackson.

Replacements: Darran Harris, Luke Garrett, Lloyd Fairbrother, Joe Davies, James Thomas, Luc Jones, Arwel Robson, Lloyd Lewis, Sam Hobbs, Henry Williams, Lloyd Phillips, Josh Skinner, Scott Andrews.

Referee: Sam Grove-White (SRU)

Tickets are still available for this match and supporters with season memberships can get into the match for FREE. Those with season memberships must ensure that they have claimed their free paper ticket as their membership cards will not work for this game. For more information or to buy tickets please click here or call 01633 674990.

Tickets will also be available to buy from reception at the Centre of Sporting Excellence on Saturday 20th August.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 1:50 pm

As expected really. Looking forward to seeing how O'Brien, Gasson, Bale, Sweet and Keddie get on.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:00 pm

Katie Vizard wrote:Fullback Geraint Rhys Jones gets the nod alongside wingers George Gasson and Aled Brew. A young centre partnership is named as Jack Dixon is joined by Barney Nightingale. Fly-half Angus O’Brien gets his first pre-season start and is joined in the half-backs by scrum-half Charlie Davies.

The front row sees props Keagan Bale and Shaun Knight get the nod alongside new signing, hooker Darran Harris.  The second row sees Matthew Screech joined by newcomer Ashley Sweet and the back row sees the return of Wales U20s star Harrison Keddie, who is joined by James Benjamin and number 8 Ed Jackson.

The replacements bench sees a mixture of youth, talent and experience as Head Coach Kingsley Jones aims to give the remainder of the squad a run out before their final pre-season clash against hard hitting Exeter.

I can't stand the way that Katie Vizard writes. It's so lazy. 'Alongside', 'joined by', 'front row / second row / back row sees' - everything she writes is like this.

Fortunately, not many people read her articles.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:10 pm

Standard sports writing to be fair -still better than WOL
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:11 pm

Standard sports writing isn't as painfully formulaic as hers. They'd be better off just putting out a simple team sheet.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:12 pm

Its a team announcement - you bored mate ? Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:14 pm

It reflects poorly on the Dragons that this standard of writing is on their website (not that it gets many hits).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:23 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:It reflects poorly on the Dragons that this standard of writing is on their website (not that it gets many hits).

This is Ealing's effort

Mark Bright will captain Ealing Trailfinders when they take on a Newport Gwent Dragons Development XV at the CCBC Centre for Sporting Excellence in Ystrad Mynach on Saturday.

Ben Ward’s side travel to Wales aiming to maintain their momentum from their opening 28-7 pre-season victory over Coventry last Saturday, a match in which Bright scored his first try in Ealing Trailfinder’s colours.

Bright will start at number 8 with flankers Willie Ryan and Iain Grieve either side of him in the back-row.

Further forward the Jones twins Carwyn and Llewelyn pack down in the engine room, with props Will Davis and James Gibbons in the front row with professional academy member Matt Cornish.

In the backs scrum-half Alex Walker returns to his home town club and will form a starting half-back combination with Jonny Bentley.

Last season’s leading scorer Rhys Crane and Curtis Wilson are on the wings with Aled Jenkins and Joe Munro, another of last week’s try-scorers, in the centres.

Luke Daniels continues at fullback a week on from scoring a try and three conversions against Coventry.

For directions to reach the Centre from Vallis Way, click here

Dragons Development v Ealing Trailfinders, Saturday 20 August, 3pm
1 James Gibbons
2 Matt Cornish
3 Will Davis
4 Carwyn Jones
5 Llewelyn Jones
6 Willie Ryan
7 Iain Grieve
8 Mark Bright (captain)
9 Alex Walker
10 Jonny Bentley
11 Curtis Wilson
12 Joe Munro
13 Aled Jenkins
14 Rhys Crane
15 Luke Daniels
Reserves
16 Nacho Lancuba
17 Harry Casson
18 Mike Macfalane
19 Arthur Ellis
20 Chris York
21 Luke Carter
22 Ben Ward
23 James Cordy Redden
24 Callum Wilson
25 Phil Chesters
26 Will Harries

Nacho ? Fantastic ! Is 26 Will Harries y'know, Will Harries ?

EDIT

It is
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:27 pm

You can see the difference, can't you?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:29 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You can see the difference, can't you?

I can, but they had more to work with - can create more of a story when you have a similar team to the game before.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:33 pm

The only player mentioned as having played in the last game is the full back.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:37 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The only player mentioned as having played in the last game is the full back.

Mark Bright will captain Ealing Trailfinders when they take on a Newport Gwent Dragons Development XV at the CCBC Centre for Sporting Excellence in Ystrad Mynach on Saturday.

Ben Ward’s side travel to Wales aiming to maintain their momentum from their opening 28-7 pre-season victory over Coventry last Saturday, a match in which Bright scored his first try in Ealing Trailfinder’s colours.

Bright will start at number 8 with flankers Willie Ryan and Iain Grieve either side of him in the back-row.

Further forward the Jones twins Carwyn and Llewelyn pack down in the engine room, with props Will Davis and James Gibbons in the front row with professional academy member Matt Cornish.

In the backs scrum-half Alex Walker returns to his home town club and will form a starting half-back combination with Jonny Bentley.

Last season’s leading scorer Rhys Crane and Curtis Wilson are on the wings with Aled Jenkins and Joe Munro, another of last week’s try-scorers, in the centres.

Luke Daniels continues at fullback a week on from scoring a try and three conversions against Coventry.

We'll agree to disagree Hug
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:43 pm

Okay, fair enough, I missed a few. But Katie Vizard is still sh!t. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:43 pm

KATIE VIZARD IS A SAINT ! mad
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:46 pm

Do you know her or something?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:48 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Do you know her or something?

Nah, just bored Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:49 pm

Ha, I thought she might be your significant other! Laugh

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:52 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Ha, I thought she might be your significant other! Laugh

My Mrs writing for the Dragons would have a lot more colourful language
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:54 pm

And the website would be better for it!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 19 Aug 2016, 5:22 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:And the website would be better for it!

And much needed if we don't buck last season's losing trend.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 19 Aug 2016, 5:27 pm

It's handy that we've got a gimme against Ulster at Ravenhill to kick things off.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 19 Aug 2016, 5:29 pm

http://www.dragonssupportersclub.com/away-travel/

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 20 Aug 2016, 11:40 am

Are Ealing's lock forwards Welsh by any chance? Wink

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 20 Aug 2016, 12:15 pm

Nice day for a game in the valleys
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next