The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll)

+43
Lowlandbrit
kingraf
doctor_grey
rIck_dAgless
Galted
No 7&1/2
aja424
stub
dyrewolfe
rodders
kingjohn7
Mind the windows Tino.
BamBam
temporary21
Derbymanc
mikey_dragon
LordDowlais
navyblueshorts
milkyboy
Coxy001
funnyExiledScot
ShahenshahG
guildfordbat
catchweight
Corporalhumblebucket
Dolphin Ziggler
lostinwales
TRUSSMAN66
JuliusHMarx
Duty281
GSC
Dave.
SecretFly
pedro
Ent
Sin é
Hammersmith harrier
Hero
Yadsendew
Alex_Germany
Rory_Gallagher
Rowley
Electric Demon
47 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 2 Empty The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll)

Post by Electric Demon Sun 26 Jun 2016, 6:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

It's not Labour or Corbyn's fault either

In this age of entitlement, "the workers" who traditionally voted Labour take the welfare state for granted and are now bizarrely right wing, even though they rely on the welfare policies of the left. (I am aware this is generalisation - but hey, that seems to be the crux of the thread)

The left and the working classes are completely at odds with each other now - which is a massive problem for Labour. It has to become 2 different parties because it won't be able to unite those 2 forces when there is a rejection of experts. But when that happens then there will be no party remotely able to challenge the Conservatives.

Last edited by Cassius Zhi on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changes "intelligence" to "experts" as that was very poor choice of words)

Electric Demon

Back to top Go down

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 2 Empty Re: The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll)

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:02 pm

Oh and this little lie:

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 2 Image18

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 2 Empty Re: The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll)

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:04 pm

Hero wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Cassius Zhi wrote:

Exactly. So in the space of about 5 posts we've established that Turkey should never have been a referendum issue

Nah, that was your issue Wink  Mine was trying to disrupt the idea that Turkey is an ideal solution for providing a safety buffer zone for Europe.  If it was part of the referendum argument then so be it - I personally didn't hear much about it myself and I doubt many of the Leave voters gave Turkey much thought.

The Leave campaign though were quite happy to peddle this:

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 2 Image10

Well they had a right to peddle as fast as their opponents in the general debate, Hero. I'm all for Peddling. We all do it. Cool

Going over their campaign with a fine tooth comb will only expose that they were peddling one way and the Remain camp were peddling another.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:07 pm

Hero wrote:Oh and this little lie:

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 2 Image18

Are you saying the Britain Stronger in Europe and/or Labour In for Britain never lied?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:08 pm

We all peddle. That though like the NHS funding is yet another complete and utter lie that was sent to every home in the UK as pet of the Leave campaign propaganda.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm

Ent wrote:Decisions about the U.K. are taken in he uk.

All a crock of Poopie this.
Agree, it's romantic naivity.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:13 pm

To be fair, all that says is they're joining the EU. I get the inference but such political half truths are hardly a new concept.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:14 pm

GSC wrote:To be fair, all that says is they're joining the EU. I get the inference but such political half truths are hardly a new concept.

Again this defence of it being a 'half truth'
It is not a half truth. It is a lie.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:15 pm

Hero wrote:
GSC wrote:To be fair, all that says is they're joining the EU. I get the inference but such political half truths are hardly a new concept.

Are you saying Britain Stronger in Europe and/or Labour In for Britain never lied?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:16 pm

Hero wrote:The only hard evidence is by generalising based upon the results and the demographics of the town/cities that those people live in.
Such as only 1 of the top 35 for % of residents with degrees voted Leave.

Wish people would stop associating educational prowess with intelligence...

It is isn't the same thing...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:19 pm

Sorry Duty I'll just ignore your points like you do whenever truths you can't answer are put in front of you, either that or divert them back on the other foot.
If you wish to find some of the Remain propaganda and tear it to shreds be my guest, Remain though didn't win, if there are lies etc then it amounts to nothing. Leave though did lie and won as a result of those lies.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:19 pm

Are they not joining the EU, it doesn't say when. Such half truths are pretty common propaganda in Westminster
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Hero wrote:The only hard evidence is by generalising based upon the results and the demographics of the town/cities that those people live in.

Where is it associating that in any of my comment? You associated it, not me.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:22 pm

GSC wrote:Are they not joining the EU, it doesn't say when. Such half truths are pretty common propaganda in Westminster

That's about as much a half truth as saying if you vote Leave then you'll die.
Which is actually more of a truth because at some point in the future it will happen. On current speed of Turkey abiding by the rules set it'll be 350 years before entry.

Last edited by Hero on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:22 pm

The inference is pretty clear, same as saying Turkey is joining the EU infers it's imminent.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:23 pm

Don't bother Hero, he's uneducated..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:24 pm

I never ignore points, I am always happy to answer if someone questions what I say or put forward.

My point here is - both official campaigns lied. I frequently criticised Vote Leave on this forum, time and again. I'm trying to understand why you're so angry at Vote Leave's lies, but don't have the same anger at lies by Britain Stronger in Europe* and Labour In for Britain.

It sounds like you would have been fine with it had Remain won.

*There very campaign name was a lie, saying the EU and Europe were interchangeable terms.

Last edited by Duty281 on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:24 pm

pedro wrote:Don't bother Hero, he's uneducated..

But not ignorant..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:25 pm

GSC wrote:The inference is pretty clear, same as saying Turkey is joining the EU infers it's imminent.

I believe Turkey and the EU are having talks again this week - not too sure if Turkey still want to join!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:28 pm

Duty281 wrote:
GSC wrote:The inference is pretty clear, same as saying Turkey is joining the EU infers it's imminent.

I believe Turkey and the EU are having talks again this week - not too sure if Turkey still want to join!

When the recession hits you might not be so smug Duty..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:28 pm

No there's a clear difference.
I said 1 in 35 towns that have the highest number of residents with degrees voted Leave.

That is true, there is evidence to prove it.

The Leave campaign said Turkey is joining the EU.

That is incorrect, there is evidence to prove it.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:29 pm

pedro wrote:

But a Principle nonetheless.  People vote with their emotions every bit as much as some try to pretend it's always ever only with a calculator and a ton of party manifestos.

Call it Romantic slush - but it's still a reason why some put an 'X' in the Leave box.  And the power of that romantic 'X' at the polling station - well, we all know that's 100% real.

If both sides could be criticised for the style of their campaigns, one of those criticisms might be that both didn't use the power of romantic notions when trying to appeal to voters that were bored to tears with the economists and the legal eagles.  The smug Conventional Parties always think they're buying a common-man vote through insufferable bombastic complex details.  The common man isn't even listening - he's in the pub or watching football.

I remember one young woman on a debate show who was obviously spitting fury at the result - and for a while she tried to keep her reasoning very political and 'learned'.  But one old guy from the Leave camp was rattling her cage, so she finally blurted out that things are always been taken from young people!!! - and that all they wanted was to be able to go on holidays without hassle!!!

That was her real reason and it should have been her first honest opinion.  Emotion.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:32 pm

SecretFly wrote:
pedro wrote:

But a Principle nonetheless.  People vote with their emotions every bit as much as some try to pretend it's always ever only with a calculator and a ton of party manifestos.

Call it Romantic slush - but it's still a reason why some put an 'X' in the Leave box.  And the power of that romantic 'X' at the polling station - well, we all know that's 100% real.

If both sides could be criticised for the style of their campaigns, one of those criticisms might be that both didn't use the power of romantic notions when trying to appeal to voters that were bored to tears with the economists and the legal eagles.  The smug Conventional Parties always think they're buying a common-man vote through insufferable bombastic complex details.  The common man isn't even listening - he's in the pub or watching football.

I remember one young woman on a debate show who was obviously spitting fury at the result - and for a while she tried to keep her reasoning very political and 'learned'.  But one old guy from the Leave camp was rattling her cage, so she finally blurted out that things are always been taken from young people!!! - and that all they wanted was to be able to go on holidays without hassle!!!

That was her real reason and it should have been her first honest opinion.  Emotion.

Well that's it then...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:32 pm

Hero wrote:

I said 1 in 35 towns that have the highest number of residents with degrees voted Leave.

That is it in itself a half truth, I would also assume that those towns have a higher number of 'young' people not that having a degree in itself actually means anything.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

I'll be smug for a week, then stop!

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 2 13507059_1220984947942508_4974743450822712853_n

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:34 pm

If you are dumb and working class you voted out...

If you went to uni and are middle class you voted in..

Thank goodness I voted in..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:34 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Apart from the European Commission, of course, whose law-making powers were supreme over our Houses of Parliament.

Nope. Not true.

When the Lisbon Treaty was rejected in a referendum in Ireland, the Dail (Parliament) could not ratify the Treaty. Thats why we had to have another referendum and the following year so that our Parliament could ratify the Treaty.

The UK also opted out of Schengen as well.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:34 pm

Hero wrote:

Although it didn't help that Cameron was a staunch supporter of Turkey joining the EU.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:34 pm

Yeah, that's it Truss. Emotion won over the grey facts.

It's nice being human after all. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:37 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Hero wrote:

Although it didn't help that Cameron was a staunch supporter of Turkey joining the EU.

???? Shocked Shocked Nobody told me this!!!! A whole new angle to that poster now. Hero and others have been keeping facts from me! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If you are dumb and working class you voted out...

Lets be honest, if you're posting on here you're life hasn't amounted to much so the intelligence people are quick to try and portray is meaningless.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:37 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Hero wrote:

That is it in itself a half truth, I would also assume that those towns have a higher number of 'young' people not that having a degree in itself actually means anything.

That's something thing else that tends to get missed out.

What relevance are some of these degrees anyway? I imagine the majority of university degrees have nothing to do with politics.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:38 pm

Duty281 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 2 13507059_1220984947942508_4974743450822712853_n

Why be smug at all? Is smugness a good quality in a person? Does being smug make someone a better human being?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:38 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If you are dumb and working class you voted out...

Lets be honest, if you're posting on here you're life hasn't amounted to much so the intelligence people are quick to try and portray is meaningless.

Can't argue with that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:39 pm

Sin é wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Apart from the European Commission, of course, whose law-making powers were supreme over our Houses of Parliament.

Nope. Not true.

When the Lisbon Treaty was rejected in a referendum in Ireland, the Dail (Parliament) could not ratify the Treaty. Thats why we had to have another referendum and the following year so that our Parliament could ratify the Treaty.

European law is supreme to UK law.

I invite you to look at the European Communities Act 1972 and the case of Factortame.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:40 pm

Sin é wrote:

We didn't have to have another referendum. I was happy with the result of the first one. Who needed the second one?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:41 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Hero wrote:

He may well have been, but as previously stated Turkey had over the space of 10 years managed to reach 1 out of the 35 EU standards, gaining entry is simply not happening any time soon and should not have been used as part of a fear campaign spouting 76 million people are about to join the EU. Also note how on the map Iraq and Syria are both coloured in and mentioned in name. I wonder why?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:41 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Why be smug at all?  Is smugness a good quality in a person? Does being smug make someone a better human being?

Why be smug at all?

Because in the last few weeks, I've been threatened, abused, mocked, heckled, spat at, and now I've got the result I wanted.

Victory.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:43 pm

Hero wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Hero wrote:

He may well have been, but as previously stated Turkey had over the space of 10 years managed to reach 1 out of the 35 EU standards, gaining entry is simply not happening any time soon and should not have been used as part of a fear campaign spouting 76 million people are about to join the EU. Also note how on the map Iraq and Syria are both coloured in and mentioned in name. I wonder why?

I suppose that's another example of racism.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:43 pm

Spat at? Really?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:43 pm

Of course, Lisbon wasn't the first time our Southern and Donegal cousins were told to think again. How Nice!

Secret Fly - how is it being taken down there? Up here its the Shinners who are ironically most angry, whodathunkit!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:44 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Hero wrote:

Are you saying Britain Stronger in Europe and/or Labour In for Britain never lied?

Can you give an example?

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:44 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Hero wrote:

I don't think he wanted them to join now. He wanted to help them achieve the criteria needed - at some point in the future. In other words, help Turkey on the path to being becoming a country that could join the EU. Of course, no-one knows if they will reach that goal (except the Leave campaign, who know that they will).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:44 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Hero wrote:

Isn't Boris Turkish (or half Turkish?) Smile

edit: his grandfather was Turkish - Osman Kemal. Boris of course is a Yank!

Last edited by Sin é on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Yeah my phD in mathematics is worthless and as a result I am dumb I realize that now. My only hope of being taken for clever would have been if I had left school at 16.

It isn't the same thing but it is broadly indicative

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:46 pm

Rowley wrote:Spat at? Really?

Yes, twice.

One time when we (Grassroots Out) had a street stall in the centre of town. Another when some charming fellow objected to me putting a Vote Leave sign on a lamp post.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:46 pm

I'd like to hear from some Outers ....

Would they be OK with the UK joining the EEA, and maintaining access to the single market, a banking passport, and free movement of labour? But with sovereignty restored to Westminster and the ability to claim an "Independence Day".

If the alternative is WTO rules and a major economic depression.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:47 pm

lostinwales wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Yeah my phD in mathematics is worthless and as a result I am dumb I realize that now. My only hope of being taken for clever would have been if I had left school at 16.

I've got three degrees on my cd player..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:48 pm

lostinwales wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Whereas that degree Mr Smith from down the road has in Media Studies shows how damn smart he is and how up to date on current affairs he is too, not that a phD in mathematics proves anything to contrary either.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:48 pm

Duty281 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Why be smug at all?  Is smugness a good quality in a person? Does being smug make someone a better human being?

Why be smug at all?

Because in the last few weeks, I've been threatened, abused, mocked, heckled, spat at, and now I've got the result I wanted.

Victory.

You're lowering yourself. Not to the level of someone who spat at you, but lowering yourself nevertheless. Being humble would be admirable.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2016, 9:50 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Hero wrote:

????  Shocked Shocked   Nobody told me this!!!! A whole new angle to that poster now.  Hero and others have been keeping facts from me! Wink

Oh yes; ‘Turkey deserves its place at the top table of European politics – and that is what I will fight for.’ TURKEY

Better swept under the carpet that one Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next