The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll)

+48
Samo
rumpelstiltskindoh
guildfordbat
catchweight
Rory_Gallagher
Afro
Shifty
Nico the gman
skiddy
Lowlandbrit
lostinwales
Rowley
rIck_dAgless
pedro
BamBam
Sin é
whocares
SecretFly
mikey_dragon
navyblueshorts
Rugby Fan
Hammersmith harrier
LordDowlais
aucklandlaurie
TRUSSMAN66
GLove39
GSC
Fernando
dyrewolfe
No 7&1/2
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Mind the windows Tino.
Mad for Chelsea
Hero
Hood83
Derbymanc
ShahenshahG
Ent
JuliusHMarx
Yadsendew
temporary21
Coxy001
Dolphin Ziggler
Duty281
funnyExiledScot
Alex_Germany
TopHat24/7
Tattie Scones RRN
52 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 20 Empty The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll)

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:I may have missed it on this thread but what are peoples thoughts on TTIP? Personally I think TTIP would be a a disaster for the EU, but can we fight it off?

Broadly negative but largely irrelevant as the UK would sign up to it in a flash with or without the EU.

Of course it's negative. It's a warning against TTIP and from a Nobel Prize winning economist. Strange that some here complain about the a lack of attention to 'financial experts' yet seem to brush aside the warnings of one on the worlds leading economists.

You say the UK will accept it in a flash, even if Brexit win. Why? I know Cameron will be quick to sell the UK to the highest bidder, but there are plenty of voices against TTIP, including the leader of the opposition. It would also be very doubtful that Cameron will be in power if Brexit do win.

I haven't got around to reading all the comments in reply to the TTIP article, very busy, but will once I get a break.

Last edited by Munchkin on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 20 Empty Re: The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll)

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 4:38 pm

Police Probe Post-Brexit Attacks On Poles - Sky News
https://apple.news/AOMFOwa7nTASfQqjhqP56lg

Very sad.

Ent

Back to top Go down

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 20 Empty Re: The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll)

Post by lostinwales Sun 26 Jun 2016, 4:52 pm

Munchkin wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
kingjohn7 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Liam Fox admits today that the £350m per week figure is actually £160m per week. I'm assuming he hasn't just worked that out, and knew beforehand.
Surely there will be some people who voted Leave who will be angry and disillusioned at being so blatantly deceived, even if they are still happier out of the EU?

Julius - don't forget about the people who have been angry and disillusioned about being so blatantly deceived since 1975.

I actually think the Remainers will be more annoyed by the lies, as it will be something they can point to for the loss. People arent stupid- especially in the large working class areas that have been getting shafted and lied to by politicians since forever. They may put forward their views in a less eloquent way than the more "educated" but in a lot of ways understand the world and life much more.

If they are so Frak smart how come they have managed to create the circumstances where the country is going to be run by a bunch of right wing muppets who will care for them even less than the current bunch?

It wasn't them that created the circumstances.

It is overwhelmingly their vote which led to the slim majority for the leave campaign. The knock on effect is that in the short term a bunch of right wing 'muppets' will be running the country who couldn't give a stuff about them, and, if we do quit the EU on the back of this, in the long term they are the ones who will suffer the most from the lack of funds and investment that is currently being channeled back to the UK by the EU.

They absolutely do have legitimate gripes against the government, but in taking this chance to stick the boot in they really are 'cutting off their nose to spite their face'

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 26 Jun 2016, 4:54 pm

Ent wrote:Police Probe Post-Brexit Attacks On Poles - Sky News

Very sad.

Been happening in Huntingdon, one of the worst places you can go in this whole country in my opinion and on the front cover of one of those "worst places to live in Britain" books. I've been robbed at gunpoint in Cambridge, but Huntingdon is the only place I felt uncomfortable about my safety working day-by-day.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 4:59 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

Very sad.

Been happening in Huntingdon, one of the worst places you can go in this whole country in my opinion and on the front cover of one of those "worst places to live in Britain" books. I've been robbed at gunpoint in Cambridge, but Huntingdon is the only place I felt uncomfortable about my safety working day-by-day.

Do you think this is par for the course there or has an exit vote legitimised this behaviour in their eyes?

As for the working class; for all the bluster about Eu regulations a lot of the good stuff does revolve around workers rights, working time directive, holiday roll over etc

I get that places are dissatisfied with life but don't get why they think being out of the eu will be better for them.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:07 pm

I saw what sounded like very sensible words on Twitter to the effect that:  "I don't believe that half the country are racists, but I do fear that racists will think that half the country supports them".

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:09 pm

Ent wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

Very sad.

Do you think this is par for the course there or has an exit vote legitimised this behaviour in their eyes?

As for the working class; for all the bluster about Eu regulations a lot of the good stuff does revolve around workers rights, working time directive, holiday roll over etc

I get that places are dissatisfied with life but don't get why they think being out of the eu will be better for them.

Well I'm sure a Conversative government that's going further towards the Right and with Gove in a prominent position will really being looking after the working classes in deprived areas once they have control.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:10 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
kingjohn7 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Liam Fox admits today that the £350m per week figure is actually £160m per week. I'm assuming he hasn't just worked that out, and knew beforehand.
Surely there will be some people who voted Leave who will be angry and disillusioned at being so blatantly deceived, even if they are still happier out of the EU?

Julius - don't forget about the people who have been angry and disillusioned about being so blatantly deceived since 1975.

I actually think the Remainers will be more annoyed by the lies, as it will be something they can point to for the loss. People arent stupid- especially in the large working class areas that have been getting shafted and lied to by politicians since forever. They may put forward their views in a less eloquent way than the more "educated" but in a lot of ways understand the world and life much more.

If they are so Frak smart how come they have managed to create the circumstances where the country is going to be run by a bunch of right wing muppets who will care for them even less than the current bunch?

It wasn't them that created the circumstances.

It is overwhelmingly their vote which led to the slim majority for the leave campaign. The knock on effect is that in the short term a bunch of right wing 'muppets' will be running the country who couldn't give a stuff about them, and, if we do quit the EU on the back of this, in the long term they are the ones who will suffer the most from the lack of funds and investment that is currently being channeled back to the UK by the EU.

They absolutely do have legitimate gripes against the government, but in taking this chance to stick the boot in they really are 'cutting off their nose to spite their face'

It wasn't just the working class that voted for Brexit. I would like to know how many actually voted for it. Anyway, you're engaged in scapegoating. It was not them, or any section of the electorate, that created the circumstances. Look to the intransigent Junker (A man who put the knife in to the Remain campaign on the eve of election!), and those other of the EU Elite, for the source of our woes. Also look to Cameron who called the referendum, and to the Remain camps negative, fearmongering, hyperbolic and uninformative campaign which hardened anti-EU sentiment and appears to have actually pushed the undecided into Brexit.

All the above created the circumstances. Not the electorate who simply voted according to their democratic right and conscience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:12 pm

It wasn't just the working class, but there were several historical working class towns and cities that overwhelmingly swung it towards Leave whilst the University cities leaned towards Remain.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:12 pm

No the electorate have created these circumstances by voting leave.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:14 pm

Irony reigns supreme on this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:14 pm

It probably wont be better for them out of the E.U. Almost certainly not in the short to medium term.

One of the many problems of the referendum is it has boiled many complex issues down into a yes/no.

The Leave campaign has basically said to everyone - if you are unhappy, for whatever reason, we have the answer. Leave. Now. And problem will go away.

A dreadful series of gambles by our politicians playing party politics that looks to have next to no contigency in place.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:17 pm

The EU Referendum - Thursday 23 June (with voting poll) - Page 20 Image17

This is the spread of votes based upon the demographics of the towns/cities and level of higher education.

Last edited by Hero on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:18 pm

Hero wrote:It wasn't just the working class, but there were several historical working class towns and cities that overwhelmingly swung it towards Leave whilst the University cities leaned towards Remain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/eu-referendum-how-the-results-compare-to-the-uks-educated-old-an/

3/50 highest economic grouping DE voted remain.

2/30 for top elderly areas.

32/35 top graduate population remain.

Depresses me really.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:21 pm

catchweight wrote:It probably wont be better for them out of the E.U. Almost certainly not in the short to medium term.

One of the many problems of the referendum is it has boiled many complex issues down into a yes/no.

The Leave campaign has basically said to everyone - if you are unhappy, for whatever reason, we have the answer. Leave. Now. And problem will go away.

A dreadful series of gambles by our politicians playing party politics that looks to have next to no contigency in place.

Not a direct quote but leave campaign apparently have no plan for exit.

Backtrack On 'Give NHS £350m EU Money' Promise - Sky News
https://apple.news/AZ1Osd9kAQ_--_wVw4vJa5g

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:23 pm

Doesn't say much for the standard of education in England and Wales then.

It's a nonsense anyway. To suggest that those with less academic qualification can't think for themselves is absolute horse dung. It was the responsibility of Government to ensure the electorate was adequately informed. It failed.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:25 pm

Oh on my list of 'scapegoats' the working class are a long way from the top - which is in my mind held by Cameron. Then there are a few others including the people running the campaigns on both sides etc.

What do we consider the working classes to be? I work, but then I am a highly educated professional and in the office I work in, as far as I know, all of the other highly educated professionals voted Remain like I did. If you consider the working classes to be the C2's D and E groups (whatever that means) then 64% voted out.

Potentially they were put into a situation where both choices were crap. But the choice basically 2/3 took will hurt all of us and them in particular, and if the reports are anything to go by the reasons they took to justify this vote will, it turns out, be unaffected by Brexit.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:28 pm

Munchkin wrote:Doesn't say much for the standard of education in England and Wales then.

It's a nonsense anyway. To suggest that those with less academic qualification can't think for themselves is absolute horse dung. It was the responsibility of Government to ensure the electorate was adequately informed. It failed.

Absolutely agree. Can sometimes take a bit more effort to persuade 'those with less academic qualifications' to actually think but they certainly can.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:31 pm

Munchkin wrote:Doesn't say much for the standard of education in England and Wales then.

Precisely. And from personal experience there are plenty with academic qualification that can't think for themselves either. Cuts both ways.

Perfectly reasonable to disagree with the wisdom of a leave vote, and be worried about the consequences. But lashing out by creating and attacking a stereotype of a leave voter doesn't help anyone at a time when we need to band together. For all the Project Fear, and divisive politics apparently used by the Leave campaign, those are the same tactics you now adopt.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:32 pm

For me it was a failure of the Labour Party in these areas as a large number of those towns etc are traditional Labour seats.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

I think the way people are seeing leave voters here and everywhere is quite a dangerous thing. We're building them up in our heads and demonising them and not bothering trying to understand them. Which is proving their feelings of years of being misunderstood and ignored correct

All the while we faff and sulk over something we can no longer control the worst of society think they are being found right by this vote

Hate only propagates if we allow it. That lot need kicking to the curb fast, but that isn't even remotely the typical leave voter. If you think it is then this only gets worse

Last edited by temporary21 on Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

Surely it was also the responsibility of the Leave campaign to make sure the the electorate was adequately informed as well though? Rather than now back tracking from their (barely) half truths less than 72 hours after the polls closed. I am sure people would have less of a problem with it if they had been provided with the correct information and still came to this conclusion.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:43 pm

People are responsible for their own vote, can't blame the government for everything ffs.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:44 pm

Not a single vote in our history has ever been fought over anything but half truths

If the leave half truths were so blatant. How on earth did remain not manage to quash them? Like say releasing proper statistics?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:47 pm

Because the Leave campaign was "sick of experts".

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:47 pm

lostinwales wrote:Oh on my list of 'scapegoats' the working class are a long way from the top - which is in my mind held by Cameron. Then there are a few others including the people running the campaigns on both sides etc.

What do we consider the working classes to be? I work, but then I am a highly educated professional and in the office I work in, as far as I know, all of the other highly educated professionals voted Remain like I did. If you consider the working classes to be the C2's D and E groups (whatever that means) then 64% voted out.

Potentially they were put into a situation where both choices were crap. But the choice basically 2/3 took will hurt all of us and them in particular, and if the reports are anything to go by the reasons they took to justify this vote will, it turns out, be unaffected by Brexit.

The professional class may largely consist of those considered middle class but not exclusively. I would think the working class most refer to on this thread would be in the C2,DE grade.

64% means that 34% above the working class grade voted Leave. That's a huge chunk of the vote for Brexit.

I agree that Brexit will hurt the majority within the UK, but how much more it will mean to those working class I'm not sure. Regardless of current reports on how the EU has benefited the working class, I have to think that their protests must have some basis in truth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:49 pm

Remain did state throughout the Leave pledges and propaganda were lies, watch Khan and Davidson pull apart BoJo for evidence.
The problem being is the 52% still believed the lies.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:50 pm

Hero wrote:Remain did state throughout the Leave pledges and propaganda were lies, watch Khan and Davidson pull apart BoJo for evidence.

Leave just said they were sick of experts and called the truth project fear.

The problem was Cameron had no lamb for the slaughter to front remain the way he did with darling and the Labour Party in Scotland.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:51 pm

There certainly was a problem from the Remain side on how to communicate their message with the voters (By Labour and the Tories), but I personally felt that the £350m/NHS (the big mistruth of the campaign in my eyes) was quashed numerous times. Yet it was continued to be peddled and definitely played a part in the Leave win, and to backtrack on it so rapidly now leaves a sour taste.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:51 pm

Ent wrote:

People are responsible for their own vote, can't blame the government for everything ffs.

How can the uninformed be responsible? The Government is very much at fault for this. They are responsible. They are accountable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:52 pm

temporary21 wrote:Not a single vote in our history has ever been fought over anything but half truths

If the leave half truths were so blatant. How on earth did remain not manage to quash them? Like say releasing proper statistics?

And it wasn't a 'half truth'

It was a pledge that £350m per week that went to EU would instead be spent on the NHS. It was used throughout their media campaign by Boris.
Yet less than 24 hours after the result it was admitted it couldn't be done. Not a half truth, a full blown lie.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:54 pm

Hero wrote:Remain did state throughout the Leave pledges and propaganda were lies, watch Khan and Davidson pull apart BoJo for evidence.

The thing is they did no such thing, Sadiq Khan just reeled off catchphrase after catchphrase and his 'thank you' crap will have antagonised a lot of voters. Davidson did a fair job during the great debate but both sides are guilty of lying so you choose which lies to believe.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:55 pm

For me this kind of votes are always centre on winning hearts and minds.

Remain utterly failed to grasp the hearts part until the very last minute when Gordon Brown was wheeled out to give his Scottish ref speech with the EU substituted for Scotland.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:56 pm

catchweight wrote:Because the Leave campaign was "sick of experts".

And the remain campaign was useless and pushing half truths of their own. Reminds me too much of the 'prophets' scene in Life of Brian.

Nobody talked with authority. It is unbelievable the amount of information that has come out in the last 2 days compared to the last 2 months. Why wasn't remain pushing Michael Dougan to the front at every opportunity?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:56 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Ent wrote:

How can the uninformed be responsible? The Government is very much at fault for this. They are responsible. They are accountable.

They have to inform themselves for Christ sake.

Let's blame the government for everything they way we used to blame the eu for everything.

Beggars belief this.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 26 Jun 2016, 5:59 pm

You should know liesnlike that permeated the whole campaign everywhere

The remain camps inability to be able to properly quash that must go down an example of extreme incapability to understand people's fears

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2016, 6:00 pm

Ent wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Ent wrote:

Let's blame the government for everything they way we used to blame the eu for everything.

Beggars belief this.

"They have to inform themselves........"

Good grief.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Ent wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Ent wrote:

Beggars belief this.

Good grief.

Nobody told me isn't an excuse for anything, you have personal responsibility for your actions.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jun 2016, 6:05 pm

Ent wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Ent wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Ent wrote:

Beggars belief this.

Good grief.

Nobody told me isn't an excuse for anything, you have personal responsibility for your actions.

Ask someone else to explain it to you. I give up on you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 6:09 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Ent wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Ent wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Ent wrote:

Beggars belief this.

Good grief.

Ask someone else to explain it to you. I give up on you.

I gave up on you long ago, the idea you shouldn't try to educate yourself before voting on a massive issue and instead leave it to others is genuine idiocy.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Electric Demon Sun 26 Jun 2016, 6:11 pm

Of course people have to take responsibility for their own decisions.

They find videos of cats doing cute things easily enough

Finding information is the exact same process

Electric Demon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 26 Jun 2016, 6:14 pm

Cassius Zhi wrote:Of course people have to take responsibility for their own decisions.

They find videos of cats doing cute things easily enough

Finding information is the exact same process

I want people to provide me with videos of cats.

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=63474

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20