The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Final Smackdown - South Africa v Ireland 25 June 2016

+34
marty2086
trebellbobaggins
Exiledinborders
kingraf
Engine#4
Rory_Gallagher
toml
brennomac
lostinwales
clivemcl
BamBam
asoreleftshoulder
offload
Marshes
Rugby Fan
aucklandlaurie
the-goon
LondonTiger
Cyril
Sin é
Pete330v2
Golden
Mr Fishpaste
carpet baboon
rodders
thebandwagonsociety
eirebilly
rapidsnowman
yappysnap
No 7&1/2
Biltong
Notch
SecretFly
Pot Hale
38 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Final Smackdown - South Africa v Ireland 25 June 2016 - Page 2 Empty The Final Smackdown - South Africa v Ireland 25 June 2016

Post by Pot Hale Tue 21 Jun 2016, 5:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

It's the one we all secretly hoped for - winning a test and being in with a chance to win the series.

The Boks transformed and then re-transformed somewhere in the middle of the second half of the second test. Ireland blew it.

Now there's a chance for Redemption or Ridicule.

At least Bok fans can't say Ireland haven't won a test away in South Africa anymore.....

Or when Irish fans point out after Saturday that the head-to-head record since 2000 is P 12, W 5 L 7, Bok fans won't say yeah but those wins were all at home, and Ireland haven't played in SA since 2004.

Small victories.....

In fact, come to think of it, when was the last time that South Africa toured Ireland, eh? Let's get the re-match set up now. November 2019, three-test tour by SA in Ireland, NZ can take on England, Argentina in Wales and Australia in Scotland. I'd buy tickets for those.

Meanwhile, there's a match on Saturday - same time, same place - different result??

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

The Final Smackdown - South Africa v Ireland 25 June 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Final Smackdown - South Africa v Ireland 25 June 2016

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:28 am

rodders wrote:
Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:That sounds tough alright but under IRFU directives Joe Schmidt is only allowed to start 3 Ulster players in home internatonals and the 6N but allowed up to 5 in the summer tours.

How did Rory sneak in as captain?

Because Heaslip was wearing his headphones when Joe asked him if he wanted the gig.

Laugh Poor Heaslip....forever listening to those Rory Inspiration'n'Balls Speeches. No wonder he's playing a blinder this tour.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

The Final Smackdown - South Africa v Ireland 25 June 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Final Smackdown - South Africa v Ireland 25 June 2016

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:32 am

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:
Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:That sounds tough alright but under IRFU directives Joe Schmidt is only allowed to start 3 Ulster players in home internatonals and the 6N but allowed up to 5 in the summer tours.

Because Heaslip was wearing his headphones when Joe asked him if he wanted the gig.

Laugh Poor Heaslip....forever listening to those Rory Inspiration'n'Balls Speeches.   No wonder he's playing a blinder this tour.

He has been playing well alright, like a new man. Seeing CJ make such a balls of his homecoming has fair perked up his spirits devil .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:43 am

SecretFly wrote:Congrats to the Nordies here BTW on getting through last night in that competition that can't be directly named in hallowed Rugby Threads.

I wonder will they allow us to adopt them as our own if the other green boys fall off their wall tonight?

Though gotta admit it, my heart is always with Italeeeee - which is damned awkward given tonight's opponents....

+1 (except for the Italian bit)!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:44 am

rodders wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Laugh Poor Heaslip....forever listening to those Rory Inspiration'n'Balls Speeches.   No wonder he's playing a blinder this tour.

He has been playing well alright, like a new man. Seeing CJ make such a balls of his homecoming has fair perked up his spirits  devil .

Munster recruiting CJ has been like a double signing for Ireland - 2 new players now that Heislip has got the finger out!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:45 am

Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Congrats to the Nordies here BTW on getting through last night in that competition that can't be directly named in hallowed Rugby Threads.

I wonder will they allow us to adopt them as our own if the other green boys fall off their wall tonight?

Though gotta admit it, my heart is always with Italeeeee - which is damned awkward given tonight's opponents....

I think we need to make rugby a bit more like Soccer, so you can lose without scoring any points and it's still a good result. Rugby is too elitist.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:46 am

Sin é wrote:

Ah...you obviously don't remember Salvatore, Sin.

Tonight the Irish fans should chant his name in honour. With history like that, I always have a soft spot for Little Lee.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:47 am

rodders wrote:
Sin é wrote:

I think we need to make rugby a bit more like Soccer, so you can lose without scoring any points and it's still a good result. Rugby is too elitist.  

I second the motion.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:49 am

So if the U20s and Ireland both win on Saturday should we declare a national holiday?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:52 am

rodders wrote:So if the U20s and Ireland both win on Saturday should we declare a national holiday?

If they both win I doubt I will be able to declare own name

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:58 am

If both win................. oh I don't know what the hell I'll do - jump off the Cliffs of Moher just to see what it feels like?

Ya gotta live a little when you win so big......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 22 Jun 2016, 12:12 pm

You have to think SA can't play as badly as they have for most of the last couple of games.

I think Ireland could get a hiding in this one.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 12:33 pm

Thanks Cyril. Always one to keep a party going into the midnight hours.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:01 pm

Did anyone read this?

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/sa-trade-union-says-some-white-players-want-team-to-fail/

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:07 pm

The Irish players looked completely battered (and shattered) both physically and emotionally at the ned of last week. I hope they can get enough fit bodies out there and perform as they did for the first 140 minutes of the series.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:10 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Did anyone read this?

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/sa-trade-union-says-some-white-players-want-team-to-fail/

Glad to hear it - I hope some of those fiecers stick to the script this week.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:13 pm

LondonTiger wrote:The Irish players looked completely battered (and shattered) both physically and emotionally at the ned of last week. I hope they can get enough fit bodies out there and perform as they did for the first 140 minutes of the series.

I think they should have stayed up in Johannesburg for most of the week training.... and maybe would have gotten a little lift in coming back down again then for the game. but it seems they rushed on to Port Elizabeth pretty quickly. Not so sure that was the best idea.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:14 pm

SecretFly wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:The Irish players looked completely battered (and shattered) both physically and emotionally at the ned of last week. I hope they can get enough fit bodies out there and perform as they did for the first 140 minutes of the series.

I think they should have stayed up in Johannesburg for most of the week training.... and maybe would have gotten a little lift in coming back down again then for the game.  but it seems they rushed on to Port Elizabeth pretty quickly.  Not so sure that was the best idea.

Recovery would have been a lot slower at altitude, best get to the beach as soon as possible I'd say.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:15 pm

Could have fooled me, looked like the white subs bailed out the boks on Sat.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:20 pm

rodders wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

I think they should have stayed up in Johannesburg for most of the week training.... and maybe would have gotten a little lift in coming back down again then for the game.  but it seems they rushed on to Port Elizabeth pretty quickly.  Not so sure that was the best idea.

Recovery would have been a lot slower at altitude, best get to the beach as soon as possible I'd say.

Nah... it's not the Himalayas. It's a trial in a hard hard game as we found out - I'm not so certain it would be a massive factor in recovery though. Staying up there for a longer period might have added even a little va va voom. Where are the SAs training this week btw - anyone know? Did they stay up?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:22 pm

the-goon wrote:

It's an Ediie Joneser, for sure! Propaganda bluff, hoping some tired Irish eyes see it. "We can take it easy - the whities are off the throttle for the final game"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:25 pm

Well less O2 means slower recovery fly.

The Boks are on a week long pi$$ up instead of training, which might add fuel to them throwing the series.

The baby boks looked like they'd been on the sauce around Manchester too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:37 pm

Well no point in using all your O2 on beachwear recovery only to find it lasts you all of 15 minutes of a game.

I'd prefer a 'drug' effect recovery in coming down to sea level quick and feeling top o'the world in doing so.... for 30 minutes maybe Whistle

I don't care what kinda pi$$ these South Africans are on, they have their head of steam up and they're going to come out of the traps right fecking quick.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:48 pm

Don't believe it fly, it's the biggest fix since Brexit  - the Italians will probably take a dive this evening too!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:56 pm

the-goon wrote:

Or some of the black players were helpng the whites cause.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
the-goon wrote:

Or some of the black players were helpng the whites cause.

Cosatu at their best.

"Hey guys, what do you hin of the poor performances by the Amabokka?"

"Eish, is bad"

"Ja, but they will blame the Transformation targets"

"Don't worry comrades, I have solved the problem yesterday already"

"how"

"I already suggested to the media it is the white players purposely under performing"

"Very good"

"Yes, you are a smart one"

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:06 pm

I do find it quite pathetic that they demand transformation, get it, and then still blame the whites.

Bloody pathetic, and of course the saddest is there will be people believing it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:15 pm

Frankly, I'm getting sick of politics in South Africa getting in the way of the game on the field.

South Africa are a large Nation with many players playing at high levels. No excuses. They have a coach, they have a squad - they had even an extra man for much of one of the games.

Let's get on and talk about rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:21 pm

Haven't posted about Ireland since the match at the weekend because it still felt too raw. Hope you guys can put the Boks away.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:29 pm

Biltong wrote:I do find it quite pathetic that they demand transformation, get it, and then still blame the whites.

Bloody pathetic, and of course the saddest is there will be people believing it.

Well how do you explain that loose head fella with the long hair giving away the exact same penalty two weeks running by entering the ruck at the side in front of the posts?

angel

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:35 pm

rodders wrote:
Biltong wrote:I do find it quite pathetic that they demand transformation, get it, and then still blame the whites.

Well how do you explain that loose head fella with the long hair giving away the exact same penalty two weeks running by entering the ruck at the side in front of the posts?

angel

Has to do with density
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:37 pm

Biltong wrote:
rodders wrote:

angel

Has to do with density

Of matter
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:37 pm

Biltong wrote:
Biltong wrote:
rodders wrote:

angel

Has to do with density

Of matter

Grey matter
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:43 pm

...air density where grey matter should be?

Ah the old altitude stuff doing the rounds again. It's more dangerous than I thought.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:49 pm

Last week it was all about the Boklash!!!
Why has there been no mention of the Irish backgiveitalash?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:57 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Last week it was all about the Boklash!!!
Why has there been no mention of the Irish backgiveitalash?

coz we always mistime them?

The backlash for last weekend in pencilled in for 2026 at the earliest.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:30 pm

Biltong wrote:
Biltong wrote:
Biltong wrote:
rodders wrote:

angel

Has to do with density

Of matter

Grey matter

So it's not just a black and white issue then.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:31 pm

rodders wrote:
Biltong wrote:
Biltong wrote:
Biltong wrote:
rodders wrote:

angel

Has to do with density

Of matter

Grey matter

So it's not just a black and white issue then.
no
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:35 pm

Anyone fancy a draw?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:37 pm

Only if we're down a man again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:51 pm

Well they'll have the ref and the TMO so we're 2 men down to start with.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm

Word going around that Payne is going to miss the game now as well. As much as I like TOH, I think it is a big loss, his defence, aside from the one speedbump moment for Combrinke I think, has been excellent and he is really dangerous in attacking positions.

I think the back we have might just be too green to win this one, hope I'm wrong.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:06 pm

Green is the colour we always are...get with the program Marshes! Wink

On a more serious note, I was mad as hell at the weekend (NOT a good day for most of us!) but still, I've been thinking this has been a great period - where 'green' players were given a tough assignment and for the most part up until now they've coped with the expectations and demands of playing in a very tough environment.

Ireland should only benefit from their experiences. If we don't, then we'll have proven ourselves eejits one more time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:10 pm

I think we've exceeded expectations already - albeit the boks have under performed pretty dramatically.

A win and a 4 point loss going into the final test is a phenomenal position in a place we've never won in our history.

We have nothing to lose here and I hope the players approach it that way and go for broke.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:11 pm

Those little under 20 sh*ts though better not lose to the poms.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:17 pm

It's difficult to know which is the tougher game. England - as f**king always - look ready to beat the bejaysus out of anyone they meet (U20) - and South Africa are alway pi$$ drunk now (reportedly) and not even trying (reportedly)- but still are in a position to crucify us and take the series.

Much as I think the U20s are playing the better/slicker brand - I think our best bet is against the drunks on the pi$$.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:18 pm

rodders wrote:Those little under 20 sh*ts though better not lose to the poms.

Poms are looking very good mind you Rodders. That being said of course we aren't too shabby looking ourselves. Could be a humdinger

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:26 pm

OK then if you could take one win which would it be?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:48 pm

Damn you , rodders. You know we're greedy! How can an Irish man answer that trick question?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

I'd have to say SA

...and hope that the u20s don't listen to me and still win anyway.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 22 Jun 2016, 4:52 pm

SecretFly wrote:Damn you , rodders.  You know we're greedy!  How can an Irish man answer that trick question?

It was a trick question - I'd take a draw and win Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next