The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test (Lords) June 9-13

+15
dummy_half
Corporalhumblebucket
Duty281
Hammersmith harrier
James100
LivinginItaly
CaledonianCraig
Mad for Chelsea
dyrewolfe
guildfordbat
LondonTiger
alfie
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
VTR
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

England vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test (Lords) June 9-13 - Page 2 Empty England vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test (Lords) June 9-13

Post by VTR Wed 8 Jun - 11:09

First topic message reminder :

England expected to be unchanged, SL may tweak their lineup but likely to be close to the team that competed better in the second half of the second Test

Despite the all-formats points system, I think this match can be viewed as a dead rubber, but England will want to close out a 3-0 series win as they look to move up the Test rankings

VTR

Back to top Go down

England vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test (Lords) June 9-13 - Page 2 Empty Re: England vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test (Lords) June 9-13

Post by VTR Fri 10 Jun - 8:37

Having slept on it I'm going to stick my neck out and say that was England's day. Not to say it was a particularly good day, but with how SL have played the first innings in each match of this series, I think that unless SL bat out of their skins as they did in their last innings* then England already have enough runs to have a good chance to dictate the game

*to expand on this - I think SLs second innings in the last test was about the ceiling for a collective performance with their current line up vs England's bowling attack, so I don't see it happening twice in a row

VTR

Back to top Go down

England vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test (Lords) June 9-13 - Page 2 Empty Re: England vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test (Lords) June 9-13

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Jun - 11:40

Sri Lanka for some reason have gone extremely defensive and England are scoring singles at will with the odd boundary thrown in

300 up now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 10 Jun - 11:43

That stat from Atherton putting into context the point I made about Cook perfectly, since 2000 his average of 46.5 is quite staggering and is the equivalent of 54.5 for a middle order batsmen.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 10 Jun - 11:50

Disappointing start to the day for SL, not sure why they started out with four men on the boundary to Woakes, allowed them to rotate the strike too easily, and England have made serene progress. Just too passive from SL for me.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Jun - 11:56

50 for Woakes notworthy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 10 Jun - 11:57

Woakes goes to his first Test 50, well played clap

I've never had any doubts about his ability as a 7-8 batsman, he's a very competent player.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Jun - 12:28

Honestly have no idea what SL are doing out here - Matthews might be the most defensive captain I've seen come to these shores
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 12:48

Fine professional morning for England ...

150 for Jonny clap That early drop has gone on to haunt Sri Lanka !
But he is in a rich vein of form - transformed this match.

Woakes did well . Bit of a tame dismissal ; but he'd done his job by then. Important partnership (I didn't see last session yesterday ; but obviously England needed him to settle in after Moeen went) and 400 plus - surely minimum requirement here - looks now assured.

Might see some fireworks if Jonny is still in after lunch...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 12:53

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Disappointing start to the day for SL, not sure why they started out with four men on the boundary to Woakes, allowed them to rotate the strike too easily, and England have made serene progress. Just too passive from SL for me.

Agree...bit defeatist , really. Actually I think I would have kept Herath on one end this morning even though the ball was fairly new , and attacked more with the one seamer. But Matthews seemed to be in premature and rather pointless "damage control " from the off...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 10 Jun - 13:40

I think Woakes will be disappointed to have got out, rather than see it has he has done his job

Seemed a very good chance to get a Test match hundred to me, a chance that might not come along too often for him

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Jun - 14:00

VTR wrote:I think Woakes will be disappointed to have got out, rather than see it has he has done his job

Seemed a very good chance to get a Test match hundred to me, a chance that might not come along too often for him

Sure but a good knock nonetheless

Another strong performance from him with the ball in this test, then the selectors decision on who to drop when Stokes is back fit becomes a little more difficult
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 14:10

Oh I'm sure Woakes would have liked to go on to a hundred : I meant that he had done enough from a team perspective.

In truth he probably just got a bit impatient against Herath ( who has bowled pretty well here. Frankly I'd be happy to see England hit a quick fifty odd from here and get on to bowl...though I think they are looking for 500...

Finn with a good review then: I thought it looked just leg side , so not surprised - though Warne and Athers were convinced it was out. Bit biased , these leg spinners Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 10 Jun - 14:13

Yep, it was a really good knock from Woakes, I am not trying to take away from it but I bet he is gutted. Long-term he probably bats no higher than 8, and 8s don't get too many chances to get a hundred

Bairstow now onto his highest Test score and I believe now the highest ever score by an England wicket-keeper at home

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 14:19

Finn gone after an oddly indecisive innings. Seemed a little unsure whether he should be seeing JB to 200 or throwing the bat...

Think Johnny should do the latter now.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 14:27

Didn't get the chance as Eranga nips Jimmy out at the second short ball attempt...

Helps the Bairstow average at least ; though England may feel that short session since lunch didn't yield quite what they'd have liked. Shouldn't matter : with Sri Lanka's batting limitations they may well have enough.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 14:48

Sri Lanka starting brightly...few running away off the edge but they've put away some short balls ; and taken a couple of quick singles.

Not sure how long it will last but at least it shows intent ; and definitely better start than Leeds or Riverside ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Jun - 15:26

That's one of the worst drops from a keeper that I've seen in a long time
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 16:34

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:That's one of the worst drops from a keeper that I've seen in a long time

Indeed it was ! I'd have been unhappy if my keeper in the lower echelons of the local club scene had put that down ! Especially off my bowling Smile

Worst thing is the opportunities aren't coming along like the number nine bus today : England are going to have some work on their hands if they want to get the 3-0. The draw might be favorite by the close tonight.

Actually think England were probably at least fifty short of what they should have made. Won't matter much if they can't shift these two soon ; with the follow on not a factor and some weather about , unless Sri Lanka implode ( not impossible ) this game is likely to at least sell tickets for day five...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 16:58

Moeen bowling quite well ; but Sri Lanka go to their hundred without loss clap

Starting to despair of a breakthrough today at all ( although one from Moeen just did a bit then , so maybe ...)

Might just watch this Finn spell...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 Jun - 17:02

As Days 2 and 3 are usually best for batting at Lord's, it's mystifying as to why Cook wanted to bat first.

England might not be able to replicate the perfect summer of 2004.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 10 Jun - 17:09

A penny for the thoughts of Chris Woakes as Bairstow takes a lovely catch down the leg side....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 17:11

And there is the break ! Finn and Bairstow combine to send Karunaratne back for a neat 50. And a rather more difficult chance than he shelled earlier taken pretty well Smile

Not sure Finn will claim that was a killer ball but I reckon he'll take it ...as will England.

Nine more will still be tough I think...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 10 Jun - 17:20

Duty281 wrote:As Days 2 and 3 are usually best for batting at Lord's, it's mystifying as to why Cook wanted to bat first.

England might not be able to replicate the perfect summer of 2004.

Lord's doesn't usually deteriorate much though even over five days. Unless you have conditions that really call for bowling first I'd reckon taking first knock makes sense. They didn't - collectively - bat as well as they might ; but you can't blame Cook for that.

I do fancy the draw here ; but if they can nip a couple more out tonight England might still be in a position to pressure Sri Lanka over the last couple of days. The weather may have a say ; but can't do much about that...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 8:26

Blimey ... this match really has grabbed everyone's attention Smile

In the off chance that anyone does tune in again : have to congratulate Sri Lanka for bossing day two - as they bossed most of day one , in truth. Their first day efforts arguably didn't really quite offset the loss of the toss , but Friday's play has seen them into the stronger position of the two teams. Not hard to see them batting the whole third day against some tiring bowlers and establishing a lead ; which would give them some chance of putting England under third innings pressure on Sunday ( weather permitting)
You'd still think a draw from here ; but there remains some risk that England could get careless - as they sometimes tend to do in "drifting" games (like the one in SA only a few months back where they nearly embarrassed themselves after scoring 600 in the first innings) and end up scrambling for safety instead of rounding off the series in style.
Can England still win ? Well of course they could skittle Sri Lanka on Saturday : I didn't think the bowling was exactly poor yesterday ; and sometimes perseverance starts producing better results on a new day...a couple of early breaks and a good new ball performance might yet see Sri Lanka bowled out well in arrears - which would change the whole direction of the match and might easily rekindle the England intensity and opponent's nervousness which characterized the first two Tests. But I just have the feeling that the tourists are not going to roll over this time ; and unless England have some early success the spark just isn't going to be there. Expecting the pitch to remain placid at least for Saturday , though the spinners may get a bit more help as it wears on.
Hoping for some eventful stuff ; but not putting money on it...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 11 Jun - 8:54

Mendis and Silva have looked like Sri Lankas most accomplished bastmen on this tour and look set to cash in today - impressed with Silva's quickness between the wickets, always rotating the strike
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 11 Jun - 9:34

alfie wrote:Blimey ... this match really has grabbed everyone's attention Smile

In the off chance that anyone does tune in again : have to congratulate Sri Lanka for bossing day two - as they bossed most of day one , in truth.  Their first day efforts arguably didn't really quite offset the loss of the toss , but Friday's play has seen them into the stronger position of the two teams.  Not hard to see them batting the whole third day against some tiring bowlers and establishing a lead ; which would give them some chance of putting England under third innings pressure on Sunday ( weather permitting)
You'd still think a draw from here ; but there remains some risk that England could get careless - as they sometimes tend to do in "drifting" games (like the one in SA only a few months back where they nearly embarrassed themselves after scoring 600 in the first innings) and end up scrambling for safety instead of rounding off the series in style.
Can England still win ? Well of course they could skittle Sri Lanka on Saturday : I didn't think the bowling was exactly poor yesterday ; and sometimes perseverance starts producing better results on a new day...a couple of early breaks and a good new ball performance might yet see Sri Lanka bowled out well in arrears - which would change the whole direction of the match and might easily rekindle the England intensity and opponent's nervousness which characterized the first two Tests.  But I just have the feeling that the tourists are not going to roll over this time ; and unless England have some early success the spark just isn't going to be there.  Expecting the pitch to remain placid at least for Saturday , though the spinners may get a bit more help as it wears on.
Hoping for some eventful stuff ; but not putting money on it...

Hi Alfie - was hardly around yesterday and so saw very little. Therefore just on gut feel - tend to go with your wording I've put in bold. Worth keeping in mind that Sri Lanka resume today still more than 250 behind. New day, different results etc. That said, don't think for a moment that the Chef will have a follow-on decision to make! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 11 Jun - 11:10

Good start for Woakes and England but I don't think ball tracking is at all accurate in this test, that's been about 3/4 plump LBW's now that have been umpires call, think it's exaggerating the effect of the slope.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 11:23

Well they got the early break !

Woakes (arguably the best bowler yesterday ; and certainly the unluckiest ) rewards Cook's decision to start with him instead of Jimmy ...

And now Broad removes the other overnight batsman. No fumble this time from Jonny Smile

Two wickets for four runs in twenty minutes ; dream start for the home team...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 11:26

Spectacular then from Bairstow ...don't often see the keeper outpace the outfielders to a chase to third man and effect a diving save on the ropes !

Whatever else you say about him , the man has some energy ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 11 Jun - 11:34

Hi folks - just back from Saturday morning shopping Rolling Eyes and around now for the rest of this session. Good start for England and my gut! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 11:36

guildfordbat wrote:Hi folks - just back from Saturday morning shopping Rolling Eyes and around now for the rest of this session. Good start for England and my gut! Wink

Guildford the prophet Smile

And it gets better as Woakes gets Matthews !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 11 Jun - 11:37

Good ball from Woakes - it seemed to get up a bit - and another deserved wicket!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 11 Jun - 11:38

alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Hi folks - just back from Saturday morning shopping Rolling Eyes and around now for the rest of this session. Good start for England and my gut! Wink

Guildford the prophet
Smile

And it gets better as Woakes gets Matthews !

Keep buying a ticket and your number has to come up some time! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 12:14

Have had one - or one and a half - eyes on the rugby ; but I'm happy with England's bowling this morning (as I did say overnight , they bowled quite well yesterday without reward ) : think taking 3/20 in the first hour is at the high end of expectations !
Perhaps shows if you keep working hard you can get results.

See Athers is making the point their lengths have been fuller today ; but in fairness that is partly a case of tactical choice in better bowling conditions.

New ball soon after lunch so another wicket now would see England well on top. Even keeping the lid on scoring will ensure a good session...

Hasn't Woakes done well ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 12:58

Back from the rugby to find two more wickets down...

Finn getting into the game , eh ? Good bowling , or more luck ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 11 Jun - 13:15

Hi Alfie - I would say decent, reliable plugging away by Finn - not something you would normally associate with him but it got deserved rewards.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 11 Jun - 14:07

Umpire's call has once again been diabolical in this test, time to get rid.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 14:09

Interesting lbw review in the last over before the new ball

Not out on field - presumably because it looked like it hit the bat first. But the TV revealed it was pad first...batsman surviving because although it was hitting the wicket , it was deemed "umpires call" on impact.

A question whether the on field umpire might nominate why he ruled an lbw not out ; if he was satisfied as to impact etc and just doubtful as to whether the batsman edged it then there might be a case for the burden of proof to be reversed ? Suppose that does rather over complicate things...

New ball now : England will be hoping to wrap this tail up quickly. I've a feeling if one goes there may well be a clatter.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 11 Jun - 14:12

The bottom on that decision is though Alfie it was out and the decision should have been overturned, the benefit of the doubt should go to the players not the umpire.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 14:19

Hammersmith harrier wrote:The bottom on that decision is though Alfie it was out and the decision should have been overturned, the benefit of the doubt should go to the players not the umpire.

Not according to the rules as they stand , though , hammer smith. "Not out" on field means everything has to be ironclad for the TV umpire to overrule.
I'd question whether this should be so ; but that is the law.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 11 Jun - 14:21

I realise that, i'm more questioning the laws when a few ironclad decisions are being turned down because of umpires call, the Finn one yesterday was ludicrous.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 14:21

Perera making hay while the sun shines (metaphorically speaking - actually looks pretty gloomy !) ; and collecting some valuable runs. Not sure how long he can get away with this aggression against the new ball...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 14:24

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I realise that, i'm more questioning the laws when a few ironclad decisions are being turned down because of umpires call, the Finn one yesterday was ludicrous.

Well I see what you mean ...but really you have to have an "umpires call" option or we'd end up with all lbw calls being referred upstairs : surely we have enough interruptions to play as it is ? There is a case for narrowing the margins , perhaps...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 11 Jun - 14:27

If it's hitting the stumps I have no issue with it being given out, I don't believe any other sport that uses ball tracking technology incorporates any margin for error, just makes Cricket look backwards in their defence of umpires.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 14:34

Ah yes ...but other sports don't use predictive paths - their ball tracking represents actual impact. So a margin for error is necessary.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 11 Jun - 14:45

Hawkeye is all about predicting paths of the ball, 5% margin for error on a single stump is more than adequate, 50% is absurd.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 14:57

Good stand from Perera and Herath but it couldn't go on for ever ...

Broad with the break clap

Surprising to see Jimmy wicket less after 20 overs. Perera has been patient against him lately - hadn't scored for quite a while until a mow to mid wicket then ...but he's Sri Lanka's best chance of getting a bit closer now so I think we will see more shots again. Can't see Eranga and his pals holding things up for long.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 11 Jun - 15:32

And they didnt ...

Bowlers ended up sharing out the wickets ...fine job to put Sri Lanka out 128 astern. Reward for persistent effort on a good pitch clap

If there isn't too much weather , England now have a decent chance to get another win. Hopefully can bat better in this innings ; though I guess they'll have to do without Cook , at least for today...

Not sure I'll stay up to watch for long. But hopefully they can set up a finish to this match over days four and five.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 11 Jun - 16:50

England doing their level best to give SL a fighting chance here.

Another jolly old batting collapse and now England's hopes largely rest with JB (again) and Hales. Now effectively 180-3. Rolling Eyes
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 11 Jun - 16:55

Compton presumably now for the chop, and Vince could be heading that way as well.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next