The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marler out

+30
funnyExiledScot
thebandwagonsociety
Blueschief
Exiledinborders
Rory_Gallagher
pheonix
The Great Aukster
Luckless Pedestrian
Cyril
Recwatcher16
TJ
SecretFly
Jimpy
No 7&1/2
sad_gimp
VinceWLB
fa0019
propdavid_london
Golden
Alex_Germany
beshocked
Poorfour
EST
Cumbrian
bedfordwelsh
Barney McGrew did it
Geordie
lostinwales
yappysnap
hugehandoff
34 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Marler out - Page 2 Empty Marler out

Post by hugehandoff Wed 18 May 2016, 18:36

First topic message reminder :

Just saw on the BBC that Marler has ruled himself out of the Aussie tour as he is not in a position to do himself or the team justice. I wish him and all other players suffering a speedy recovery. The body and mind does require a break every now and then and hopefully the Lions will benefit from seeing a few rejuvenated players return to top form next season.

Of course this also provides an opportunity to another player. Mako struggles in the scrums so I would like to see someone stronger in that department go on tour. Waller or Jake Cooper-Woolly?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Marler out - Page 2 Empty Re: Marler out

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 20 May 2016, 15:56

Chose to rest for his country and play for his club. Guess we know which one is the priority for him.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 May 2016, 16:08

If players need a break then this is the summer to do it, sandwiched between a World Cup year and the Lions.

Marler will be missed, Mako's scrummaging is suspect to put it lightly, but I think Jones should make it clear to the squad that those who feel in need of rest this summer should be willing to speak up.

In terms of a replacement would Matt Mullan not be worth a shot? Always strikes me as solid.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 20 May 2016, 16:10

But this is what I mean. How many players will feel unable to say they need the rest?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 May 2016, 16:15

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:But this is what I mean. How many players will feel unable to say they need the rest?

I suppose it will depend on the circumstances of the individual player and their status in the squad. Those who have only just broken into the side will probably feel they don't want to leave the door open to a competitor, and will therefore clearly want to play. Similarly younger players will probably also want to avoid any sort of reputation for being awkward.

The sort of players I was thinking of are Dan Cole, Chris Robshaw, Billy V, Ben Youngs, Joseph and Brown. These guys have played an awful lot of consecutive rugby.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 20 May 2016, 16:22

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Chose to rest for his country and play for his club.  Guess we know which one is the priority for him.

Natural end of the club season.

Natural end to a long period of playing (including RWC and all the training last summer)

Major event (the tragic death of the Quins development prop covered elsewhere)

All the other carp.

It is not surprising that now is when he's taking a break rather than committing to a summer in Oz. It is a pain for England but having  him on international duty when his heart isn't in it would be a huge risk also. Better this way and having him back firing in the AI

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 20 May 2016, 17:02

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Chose to rest for his country and play for his club.  Guess we know which one is the priority for him.

I think you should look back at the historical strength of summer tours...  bar lions series more often than not most had severely weakened squads not just by injuries.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 20 May 2016, 17:46

VinceWLB wrote:Too afraid to get his arse handled to him on a plate by Samson Lee once again.
I thought that might be the reason as well.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 20 May 2016, 18:49

Not at all surprised. It's been a rough end of season for Marler and a chance to cool off physically and mentally is probably what I'd want in his shoes.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 21 May 2016, 07:06

fa0019 wrote:

I think you should look back at the historical strength of summer tours...  bar lions series more often than not most had severely weakened squads not just by injuries.

Agreed, all for player welfare, but some of the squads we sent down between 2003 and 2008 were laughably bad, just made a mockery of the whole tour.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sat 21 May 2016, 09:19

I think the wider point is that while Marler has the obvious reasons to make what is a sensible decision, we are all expecting the majority of our other international players to sacrifice themselves beyond the pale, on a tour that is a number of games dangerously too many, on what has probably been one the longest seasons in the history of the professional game.

EJ will need to be exceptionally sensible in his selections, squad and game, otherwise he will risk breaking players.

As I've said on the summer tour thread, I think a large number of players should be rested and this tour used for development of our greater talent. Its not like we don't have the players and EJ is a very capable coach.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2