The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using the Spinks formula......Vitali should be rated above Wlad !!

4 posters

Go down

Using the Spinks formula......Vitali should be rated above Wlad !! Empty Using the Spinks formula......Vitali should be rated above Wlad !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 May 2016, 5:25 pm

I've always made the case Michael Spinks should be a top 30 heavyweight if Tunney is top 20.....

Mainly because apart from one defeat, a pitiful effort against Tyson,...They both basically beat two top 7 Heavyweights and had similar records......Add in Cooney as well which was a decent win..

Last list I saw, Spinks was 50 places lower than Tunney which would suggest manner of defeat is of importance legacy-wise !!!!....

Though the guy who wrote the list was a complete turkey.....It's relatively in line with others..

Wlad's performance had nothing to do with age...He was scared of getting hit !!.

Me...Personally I wouldn't drop Wlad too much.....I have him probably 15-20 based on longevity.....

But if we are being consistent with the Spinks-yardstick... I guess I should be looking at dropping him a fair bit lower which would mean his brother would be higher..

Wlad v Fury 2.......Big fight for Wlad..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Using the Spinks formula......Vitali should be rated above Wlad !! Empty Re: Using the Spinks formula......Vitali should be rated above Wlad !!

Post by AdamT Mon 16 May 2016, 8:08 pm

Good threw Truss.

I rate Vitali slightly higher, because he avenged brothers defeats and would win a mythical head to head.

Obviously Wlad has longevity, but Vitali is better Imo.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Using the Spinks formula......Vitali should be rated above Wlad !! Empty Re: Using the Spinks formula......Vitali should be rated above Wlad !!

Post by AdamT Mon 16 May 2016, 8:08 pm

I meant good thread.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 16 May 2016, 9:31 pm

It's tough. I think if Wlad wins the rematch which I think he will then he's def top 20, could make an argument top 15. But as Adam said Vitali should be higher and I'd agree with that. Issue is does Vitali deserve to be that high? No he doesn't in my opinion but he is better than Wlad so it's a really tricky one to place. For me I'd have Vitali one place ahead of Wlad whenever they are on the list.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 16 May 2016, 9:40 pm

I think big brother took a backseat and let little brother reap the benefits.

Vitali was out for a long time and came back and dominated a tough strong guy for a world title, in his first fight back.

Peter is no George Foreman, but he is a hard guy to fight, with such inactivity.

I really rate Vitali. Granted an old Lewis beat him, but Vitali proved he could mix in great company.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 16 May 2016, 10:49 pm

I agree. Sorry I should have said I wasn't ranking him on ability only it was his inactivity which counts against him. If he stayed fit I have no doubts he'd have been the dominant one and would be much higher ranked.

I massively rated him and had pretty much every box ticked as a fighter. I'm a big Lewis fan and my heart was in my mouth for the entire 6 rounds. I won't get into the old debate about that fight but Vitali walked away with a whole lot credit for sure.

Inactivity and lack of top opposition (neither his fault) will always leave a few what ifs so we can only speculate about how good he could have been but a great fighter and always good to watch. Have to stick one place above his brother but probably better than that in reality.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 17 May 2016, 6:54 am

Of the two Klitschkos, Wladimir has the better record. Vitali may have been the better fighter - he was certainly tougher - but that's an aside.

Similarly, Tunney had a better record at heavyweight than Spinks, although, there wasn't a lot in it. Tunney went something like 9-0 with the Dempsey brace supplemented with an impressive KO win over Tommy Gibbons.

Spinks was 4-1 at heavyweight. While Holmes was on the slide, so too was Dempsey when Tunney outboxed him. I'm not that high on Cooney (though Spinks did a good job on him) and the Tyson defeat was damning.

Tunney had a better record at heavyweight than Spinks just as Wlad had a superior record at heavyweight than Vitali.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 17 May 2016, 9:56 am

Tommy Gibbons was a light heavyweight...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down