The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread.

+13
Good Golly I'm Olly
kwinigolfer
Bind up
compelling and rich
Crimey
Galted
Dolphin Ziggler
Rowley
Fernando
NickisBHAFC
Nico the gman
dyrewolfe
GSC
17 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread. - Page 5 Empty The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread.

Post by westisbest Wed 11 May 2016, 9:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok, so writing this a little early, but in fairness we have been down for months.
Been an absolute shocking season to say the least.

With poitive talks of a new owner on the way, managers being touted about.
Pearson would be my choice, although hearing Di Matteo is now favourite.
Hopefully some good news comes out of this.

Players i hope leave in summer:-

Guzan, Lescott, Cissokho, Bacuna, Richardson, Sinclair, Gabby, Sanchez, Kozak, N'Zogbia, Westwood.

Thats alot of players to get rid of.

Players who have been out on loan.

Baker, can stay at Bristol City.
Bennett, back up to Amavi(if he stays).
Steer, can go.
Gardner, definatly keep, will be like a new signing.

Players in.
off the top of my head.

David Marshall, for me best keeper in champioship.
Cyrus Christie, every time i have seen him play for Derby and Ireland he has looked good. Need a new rb.
Alan Judge, had a great season with Brentford, would be a good addition.
Ross McCormack, his name has been touted around with us, could be a decent signing.
Wessi for the experience.
Will Grigg, scored a load for Wigan,  i know its a step up in leagues, but he could do well.

Just a few names there, again just off the top of my head.

Will be difficult, but we really need to keep hold of Ayew and Amavi.

Youngsters.
Andre Green, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Kevin Toner, Jordan Lyden.
These 4 our the main ones for the future. Had a taste of first team action. Hopefully continue to get some first team action next season.

I would take Petrov back, moreso as experience for the team, especially the youngsters. Maybe in a coaching role. I know he wants to play, dont think he would get much first team action.

So the squad would look something like:-

Marshall, Bunn
Christie, Hutton, Okore, Clarke, Toner,  Amavi, Bennett, Richards.
Judge, Wessi, Gana,  Veretout, Traore, Gardner, Gil, Lyden, Green, Grealish
Ayew, Gestede, Hepburn-Murphy, McCormack, Grigg.

Again, this is just off the top of my head, re signings/squad, am sure we may sign 'better players' whoever they may be.

I know the championship will be tough. Games come thick and fast.
Really hope Pearson is the next manager. He knows the league, wont take any sh1t and will get the players performing.

Its a sad goodbye to the premiership and hello champioship.

Here's to a short stay and boune straight back up(whatever the squad is) Ale

westisbest

Back to top Go down

The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread.

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 08 Jan 2018, 3:14 pm

westi,
I see you lost Nigel Sims and Alan Deakin in the past week or so. One for your grandfather to reminisce about no doubt.
Think Deakin is probably the best football player I ever shared a pitch with - a long time ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread.

Post by westisbest Mon 08 Jan 2018, 7:20 pm

Yeah saw that.
Yes, but before my time.

RIP.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 15 Jan 2018, 6:40 pm

RIP Cyril’s Regis.
Another ex villa player gone to soon.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 15 Jan 2018, 7:34 pm

Was sad news - Ugo, Atkinson, Regis, nearly a year to the day since Graham Taylor, the list grows too quickly.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:17 pm

https://www.facebook.com/AstonVillaTheInformer/videos/1480150855431312/

Great words from Dion on Regis OK

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:23 pm

He commented on the FA Cup programme earlier. Watered my eyes a bit.

Class act is Dion clap

I notice your boys are putting a little run together, Westy. Play Offs at least I'd say but 2nd isn't out of reach.

Good luck for the rest of the season, buddy OK

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 18 Jan 2018, 8:37 pm

Cheers freek.

Really hoping we can go up this season.

Even at this stage, think 2nd spot could be between Villa Derby and Cardiff.

Next four games are Barnsley h, Sheffield Utd a, Burton h, blues h.
Got to be looking at 9 points form the three home games.
Not easy. If we can get those 9 ( hopefully 12), we will be in a great spot.

Could do with a forward on loan this month.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 30 Jan 2018, 9:58 pm

Boom. Really good win.
Don’t think we deserved it, but will defiantly take it.
5 wins in a row now in the league.

Burton and the blues at home next 2 games.

Still a way to go, got to be confident we can go up this season.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar 2018, 10:59 pm

I went up tonight. Awful performance. Top 2 probably a dead duck now.

Good vibe about the place, mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 13 Mar 2018, 11:32 pm

Probably a hangover from a good derby win, same happened against Fulham after the win against the rags.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Mar 2018, 11:37 pm

Yeah. Speaking of Fulham, they're starting to pick up some steam. Play-Offs are looking like a pick em.

I wrote a Limerick on one of the bog walls just for you Galty Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 14 Mar 2018, 8:16 am

I'm very touched, Freek (and not in a Savile way).

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 14 Mar 2018, 9:04 pm

Very disappointing last night after such a good win Saturday.

Think we would need to win practically all our remaining games and hope Cardiff slip up for us to get second.

At the moment we could be in danger of finishing fourth.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 14 Mar 2018, 9:22 pm

westisbest wrote:
At the moment we could be in danger  of finishing fourth.

I'm quite happy with that danger given the last two or three seasons.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 31 Mar 2018, 8:44 pm

Poor this evening. Adomah forgot his scoring boots.
Not going to go up playing like that.

Great to see Kodjia back, but as a team, we need to do better.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 07 Apr 2018, 2:17 pm

Pi55 poor today.

Absolute no fight or passion.
Pathetic.
No way will be win the play offs at this rate.

Well done Norwich wanted it more. That Murphy is quality.

Doesn’t help when you have two rubbish full backs.
Taylor is not even league 2 standard.

SHOCKING NO FING FIGHT.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 07 Apr 2018, 3:49 pm

The difference between Fulham and you guys was incredible, you were so so poor no tempo, no desire, just going through the motions it looked like
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 10 Apr 2018, 9:55 pm

That’s better.
Not a great game, but 3 points.
Some goal from young Jack.
Johnstone played well to keep us in the game.

We’re still in this race, beat Leeds, then hope Cardiff and Fulham slip up.

If only we hadn’t skipped up since Wolves win.
Keep the faith.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 13 Apr 2018, 10:23 pm

Another 3 points, but again not great.
Few missed chances.

Hoping now Cardiff and Fulham slip up, can’t see both losing.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 28 Apr 2018, 7:08 pm

Like to see a different side next Sunday. Rest a lot of the first team for play offs.

Hopefully guys like O’Hare, Doyle-Hayes, Green, Landsbury,
Davis given a start.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 15 May 2018, 3:35 pm

RIP Jlloyd Samuel.
Died this morning in a car crash, after dropping his kids off at school.
Very sad.

Think our club is cursed.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2018, 3:43 pm

RIP Jlloyd Samuel rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 May 2018, 11:54 pm

That's another sickener. 37 is just a baby. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 26 May 2018, 1:33 pm

Tough game ahead. Confident we can win.
Think it will be a close game whoever wins.

Hopefully a return to the prem is just a few hours away.

UTV

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 21 Jun 2018, 9:33 am

First 4 games

Hull a
Wigan h
Ipswich a
Reading h

Winnable games.
Need to get off to a good start.
Hopefully we can.

Let’s hope club in a bit better shape come start of the season.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 23 Jul 2018, 3:16 pm

Not sure how much truth in this, but read we have 3rd richest owners in English football, after Man City and Wolves.

Can’t really spend much till we get back to the premiership, with ffp and losing parachute payments.

The roller coaster continues.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 24 Jul 2018, 1:00 am

Currently debating whether to pay Bruce off 2m and appoint Thierry
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 25 Jul 2018, 6:36 pm

Just been confirmed that Bruce is staying.

Thank god for that.

Don’t want Henry anywhere Villa.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 06 Aug 2018, 9:42 pm

Decent start.
Bit edgy at the back at times.
Need to make some changes overall.

Kodjia is to damn selfish.

Really hoping RHM gets game time this seasonand Green starts games.
Need to play some youngsters.

Heading up for Wigan game Saturday. Hopefully another 3 points.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:45 pm

Not the best tonight, but got the win.

Good to see Abraham and Bolasie score.
Hopefully we can start winning a few games again, not sure though with Bruce’s style.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:07 pm

Frustrating again tonight.

Think it’s time for Bruce to go. Now while we are not to far off play offs. Keep playing players out of position. Nobody starting out wide.
Crazy.

Not good enough.

Some very good players for this division, just not performing.
This keeper is dreadful. Costing us points.

I like Bruce as a person, we need someone else in, who will play a more attacking style of football.

We will finish mid table at best at this rate.

Would like to see Dean Smith take over. Villa fan and doing very well with Brentford.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 29 Sep 2018, 10:48 am

It has stagnated, relying on a blood and guts approach with no tactical nous. Look capable of putting the odd run together which might be enough to get to the playoffs but he should be doing more with the squad at his disposal.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 02 Oct 2018, 9:45 pm

Fk sake penalty to win the game last kick of the game and Glenn fkng Whelan steps up. FFS.

Frustrating/annoying to say the least.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 03 Oct 2018, 4:40 pm

Bruce sacked then. Had to go In fairness.
Do like him as a bloke, but going nowhere fast under him.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 03 Oct 2018, 6:37 pm

Agree with the above. Halted the slide but need someone with ideas.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 03 Oct 2018, 7:14 pm

A few people on the BBC HYS have mentioned Big Sam. I will stop following football if that were to happen.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 03 Oct 2018, 7:35 pm

Seen front runners are Henry and Dean Smith.

Wouldn’t mind dean Smith, doing well with Brentford, also he’s a villa fan.

Henry no experience.

Yeah wouldn’t be to keen on big Sam.

Other names I’ve seen are, Pardew, Pearson again, Mick McCarthy.
Hmm

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 03 Oct 2018, 8:19 pm

Saw Pardew mentioned which would probably be one or two decent seasons before things fall apart. Brendan Rogers also had a few mentions but I guess at this stage everyone who’s unemployed or having a bad run gets linked.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 04 Oct 2018, 2:13 am

Not sure the Pardew decent two seasons still exists. Unless he gets it on the back of “look what he did to our rivals!”

Harsh world this managing lark. One game away from success last year, now this. Big Sam would fit the bill in many ways, especially as he could probably gel quickly and a Bruce squad isn’t too far from a Sam squad.

Dean Smith a nice idea, although Brentford are a success of recruitment too. Henry is not a good idea.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 04 Oct 2018, 7:30 am

Whoever it is, I hope it will be someone with championship experience.
Who knows the league.

If it’s another Remi Garde type, then we can start planning for trips to Crewe and Forest Green etc.

Just someone that’s going to play attacking football.
Players in the right position. Hutton is ok at left back mind.

We have good attacking players. Abraham, Bolasie, Kodjia, Grealish,
McGinn, our best players I would say along with Chester.

Defence is still a bit of a worry, the keeper situation is the biggest worry.
Nyland has cost us to many points, Bunn isn’t a step up.

I would have kept Steer.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 10 Oct 2018, 10:40 pm

Dean Smith with Terry as assistant.

Happy with that.

Hopefully they will do well and we can get back to the prem.

Need to steer getting wins now.

Certainly could of been worse.

Looking forward to seeing how they do.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by daraghj82 Thu 11 Oct 2018, 7:45 am

good appointment by villa , smith has done a very good job with Brentford

daraghj82

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 11 Oct 2018, 9:43 am

Indeed, ended up with the right choice, even if I think the process of knowing who you want as assistant and getting the manager after is rather bizarre.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 11 Oct 2018, 10:00 am

Thank f*ck it wasn't Allardyce or McCarthy.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 11 Oct 2018, 11:26 am

Just read that Deadly Doug is no longer with us. Sad news.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 11 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm

Hopefully with terry on board, he can help bolster our defence.
Also need a new keeper in January.
For me a big error from Bruce.

Would have kept with Steer, couldn’t have been any worse than what we have now.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 11 Oct 2018, 12:27 pm

Galted wrote:Just read that Deadly Doug is no longer with us. Sad news.

Yes sad news indeed Galted.

RIP

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Oct 2018, 8:43 am

Deadly Doug's first managerial appointment at Villa was Tommy Docherty in the late '60s. Ellis assured the new manager that he would be right behind him. Looking back on his sacking, The Doc reflected - ''I would sooner have had him in front of me. Where I could see him.'' Wink

Tbf for all his interference and sackings, Ellis deserves credit for his efforts. A self-made multi millionaire, he invested much of his money and life into the Villa. It was probably his financial support and business acumen that enabled the club to successfully continue so long whilst others - particularly close neighbours Coventry City - spent money they didn't have and suffered accordingly. I believe he was also the first chairman to appoint a foreign (non British) manager at a major English club - Jozef Venglos in 1990.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 13 Oct 2018, 10:49 am

He was pretty poor if I remember correctly.
Doug was a character in fairness. Villa was in his blood.

A minutes silence next Saturday.
Shame I can’t make that game.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 26 Oct 2018, 9:45 pm

Bad first week for Smith and co.
Don’t think we deserved to lose to Norwich and tonight.

Just so frustrating to watch now.
Don’t see where the next win is coming from.
Will drop a few more places tomorrow.

Doesn’t help when you have players like Taylor, Nyland, Whelan, who are league 2 standsrd at best.

We’re afraid to have a shot ffs.
Spend to much time passing it sideways and backwards.

Probably write this season off already, unless we can put some wins together.

To many games till January until Smith and make some signings and get rid of some fodder.

Oh well, onto Bolton next Friday.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next