The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors

+16
VinceWLB
cakeordeath
profitius
bsando
GLove39
IanBru
EST
Kingshu
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
BigGee
Nematode
RDW
Pot Hale
George Carlin
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors Empty Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors

Post by George Carlin Mon May 02, 2016 6:57 am

Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors Connac12                   Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors Glasgo14
Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
Saturday 7 May 2016
KO: 15:00
The Sportsground

Referee: Ian Davies (WRU)
Assistant Referees: TBC
Citing Commissioner: Eugen Ryan (IRFU)
TMO: TBC

Live on TG4 and BBC Scotland

A. Head to Head

27 Played 27
7 Wins 17
17 Losses 7
3 Draws 3
494 Points 628

B. Form

11 September 2015
Glasgow Warriors 33 - 32 Connacht Rugby

25 April 2015
Connacht Rugby 13 - 31 Glasgow Warriors

26 September 2014
Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

C. Teams

Connacht Rugby 
Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors John_m10
[tbc]

Glasgow Warriors
Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors Josh_s10
[tbc]

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed May 04, 2016 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors Empty Re: Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors

Post by George Carlin Tue May 03, 2016 5:36 am

Tumbleweed
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors Empty Re: Super Saturday: Connacht v Glasgow Warriors

Post by Pot Hale Tue May 03, 2016 7:50 am

It's very exciting so far.... Smile
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue May 03, 2016 7:20 pm

I think Glasgow will win this in an entertaining, end to end game OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue May 03, 2016 7:26 pm

I wonder how the Treviso game will impact on the Connacht team's confidence. They shouldn't be losing a game like that at this stage.

Anyone know if there is a way Glasgow can play Connacht or Leinster in the semi final? Ulster are looking not too shabby at the moment, worryingly.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue May 03, 2016 7:27 pm

Ulster will have revenge on their minds after last season, and are starting to build a head of steam - I think Glasgow would probably rather Leinster or Connacht at home certainly!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue May 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Ulster have got to get there still and it is by no means certain. Ospreys will be playing for a Euro place and will be every up for that game. Ulster have not travelled well this year.

My preferred option would be for Scarlets to qualify 4th and for us to play them.

No easy games at that stage though, I doubt if Toonie and the team are giving it any thought and will just play whoever is in front of them. We should be beating any of them at home.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed May 04, 2016 12:24 am

Ulster tore Leinster a new one in the last match - their backline seemed to cut the Ladyboys open at will.

Leinster looked like they wouldn't have scored if they played for a week.

No brainer - Ulster are to be avoided. Would be delighted with a Leinster semi at home.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed May 04, 2016 1:27 am

No disrespect to Ulster's result, but Leinster (at the moment) are pretty gash. Glasgow's result against Zebre can also be discarded considering how poor they are although it was a more impressive result considering Glasgow were mostly a 2nd string.

My thoughts for Saturday is that Glasgow will win pretty comfortably. A bonus point win would get the other 3 teams praying for avoidance in the semi.

I honestly think this is Glasgow's title to lose as they are playing on another level to anyone else at the moment.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed May 04, 2016 3:29 am

I would like Scarlets to sneak in. Reckon they are faltering badly and would be happy to be in the playoffs. Ulster have something to fear as they have one of the best backlines in Europe but their pack lets them down. They can score tries from anywhere. Leinster in the final would suit me.

Expecting the first team vs Connacht:

Reid, Brown, Fagerson, Gray, Naka, Harley, Favaro/Fusaro, Strauss, Pyrgos, Russell, Seymour, Dunbar, Bennett, Big T, Hogg

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed May 04, 2016 4:13 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:I would like Scarlets to sneak in. Reckon they are faltering badly and would be happy to be in the playoffs. Ulster have something to fear as they have one of the best backlines in Europe but their pack lets them down. They can score tries from anywhere. Leinster in the final would suit me.  

Expecting the first team vs Connacht:

Reid, Brown, Fagerson, Gray, Naka, Harley, Favaro/Fusaro, Strauss, Pyrgos, Russell, Seymour, Dunbar, Bennett, Big T, Hogg

Totally agree Ms Sapling; Scaaahlettes at Scotstoun would be the best we could hope for.
I would pick:
1. Shrek
2. Brown Trousers
3. Puafisi (he has been one of Toonie's go to players this season)
4. Jonny
5. Flagball
6.Harley (although we might see batman as I expect a very fast, open match)
7. The Legend That Is
8. Bluto (but again Arthur Ashe could be a "horses for courses" pick)
9. Henners
10. Dancer
11.Seymour
12. Hornee Furra
13. Dunbar
14. Selkirk Pixie ( when you see Zebre targeting Nayaravarou's wing, and scoring twice, then you know he is right up there with Turnstile Tim)
15. Hogg

16. Jerry
17. WeePee
18 Ragnar The Mental
19. Batman
20 Ashe
21. Hart
22. angel
23 Schlong

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed May 04, 2016 4:15 am

I think Connacht may saw last weeks game as slightly irrelevant, it was going to come down the is game to decide on a home semi or not. They made ten changes, I think that the way there saw it was make the changes for Treviso and rest a team to put in a final big push for two hopefully 3 big games.

Aki and Healy are back fit and maybe Buckley

Glasgow are going well, but I don't think they are going so well as to expect to go to the Sportsground and come away with 5 points.

Connacht have only lost once at home in the league, 3 - 10 against Ulster.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed May 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Kingshu wrote:I think Connacht may saw last weeks game as slightly irrelevant, it was going to come down the is game to decide on a home semi or not. They made ten changes, I think that the way there saw it was make the changes for Treviso and rest a team to put in a final big push for two hopefully 3 big games.

Aki and Healy are back fit and maybe Buckley

Glasgow are going well, but I don't think they are going so well as to expect to go to the Sportsground and come away with 5 points.

Connacht have only lost once at home in the league, 3 - 10 against Ulster.
Don't think anyone on the soapdodger side is underestimating the extent of this challenge, Kingshu. 

Gregor Townsend certainly won't. He rested almost all of his key players last week just for this game. 

There is perhaps less pressure on Glasgow now though as they probably only need to draw to get a home semi. 

I think that Glasgow will take a point either through scoring tries, getting a draw or finishing close. Although if Finn Russell is goalkicking as poorly as he has done recently, it might be a long night for us.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed May 04, 2016 10:33 pm

This game will be very tough indeed, in Aki and Henshaw Connacht have two of the best players in the division and their pack is teak tough. Lam has got them playing very organised, attacking rugby - everybody seems to know what they are doing within his structure. Given the home advantage and how fired up Connacht will be, Glasgow will have to be very good in the opening exchanges.

If pushed, I slightly favour Glasgow. in Hogg, Russell, Naka and Seymour I think they have enough firepower to make things happen, coupled with the experience they have picked up of previous Pro 12 knockout games. Glasgow by less than a 7.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri May 06, 2016 7:40 pm

It's difficult to put into words quite how excited I am for this game.

It's like the regular season has reached a pinnacle, a zenith of peak awesomeness.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri May 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Careful there Bru, you may be peaking too soon, again.

If Craggy Island seconds win tomorrow it will be because (a) Glasgow don't turn up or (b) the beat us by playing better rugby in a titanic struggle.

I have no doubt that Glasgow will turn up and play to their potential. In which case if (b) occurs then the Craggy Islanders deserve to go on and win title.

I think tomorrow has all the makings of a cracking match and much as I want to be in Murrayfield cheering Glasgow on there is a part of me which wouldn't mind Pat Lam getting the recognition he deserves. (Lam and Toonie to coach the Lions next year, anyone?)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri May 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Absolutely, if by some chance Glasgow don't get to the final and Connacht do, the boys in Green will definitely have my support.

I worked out the various permutations of Saturday's matches, and the only way Glasgow will play Connacht in the semi-finals is (i) Glasgow and Connacht draw, Leinster get TBP, semi to be played in Glasgow; or (ii) Connacht beat Glasgow without TBP, and Leinster get TBP, with semi to be played in Galway.

Otherwise, it's still very much on for a Glasgow v Connacht final, which would be absolutely electric.

Counting my chickens? Yes, I have no chickens.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri May 06, 2016 8:28 pm

No you don't. But you do have a bird. Albeit one with the superpower of invisibility as you were conspicuously solitary when cheering Meatball's try on the tellybox last Friday.

p.s. 99.99% certain to be at Murrayfield. Just need to firm up the peripheral details: ticket, lodgings, transport, Glasgow actually being there, permission from MrsPip. You know, the peripheral details.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri May 06, 2016 8:47 pm

Jim, you're blind, she was sat almost right behind me! Admittedly, her dark red hair (or 'vibrant copper' as I'm told, often) did get lost in the background.

Nice story actually, we couldn't get seats together, so she was sat in the same section but on the front row. As I walked up to my seat at the start of the match, the lovely old couple who've sat behind me for the last four years piped up and said "Have you ditched your woman, Ian? That's not good, son!".

They then offered me their spare seat, which their little grandson sometimes occupies. So Hagia Sophia got to hold court chatting to half of Glasgow behind me, as only she can, while I cheered for wee Dunky in front. As they say, there's something a bit special about Glaswegians. She's now a fully paid-up member of the #WarriorNation, just as I'm a full-on shirt-owning part of the #FalconsFamily.

I'd be delighted to see you in Edinburgh. Sophia and I are staying in Glasgow for the weekend and coming through for the day. Give me a shout if you want to meet up for lunch or a drink.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri May 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Well now, that's a team and a half.

Glasgow Warriors team named to play Connacht at the Sportsground on Saturday 7 May, kick-off 3pm, live on BBC One Scotland:
15. Stuart Hogg
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Alex Dunbar
12. Peter Horne
11. Lee Jones
10. Finn Russell
9. Ali Price

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Leone Nakarawa
5. Jonny Gray (Captain)
6. Rob Harley
7. Ryan Wilson
8. Josh Strauss

Replacements

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Tim Swinson
20. Simone Favaro
21. Grayson Hart
22. Mark Bennett
23. Sean Lamont
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri May 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Team's oot.

1. Shrek
2. Brown
3. Puafisi
4.naka
5.Jonny
6. Tackle Monster
7. Batman
8. Bluto
9. Ali Price
10. Dancer
11. Selkirk Pixie
12. Hornee Furra
13. Dunbar
14 Seymour
15. Hogg

16. WeePee
17. Jerry
18. Ragnar
19 Swinson
20 Simome Il Pazzo
21. Grayson
22 angel
23. Schlong

Which I think is a brilliant looking team and not too dissimilar to....
Totally agree Ms Sapling; Scaaahlettes at Scotstoun would be the best we could hope for.
I would pick:
1. Shrek
2. Brown Trousers
3. Puafisi (he has been one of Toonie's go to players this season)
4. Jonny
5. Flagball
6.Harley (although we might see batman as I expect a very fast, open match)
7. The Legend That Is
8. Bluto (but again Arthur Ashe could be a "horses for courses" pick)
9. Henners
10. Dancer
11.Seymour
12. Hornee Furra
13. Dunbar
14. Selkirk Pixie ( when you see Zebre targeting Nayaravarou's wing, and scoring twice, then you know he is right up there with Turnstile Tim)
15. Hogg

16. Jerry
17. WeePee
18 Ragnar The Mental
19. Batman
20 Ashe
21. Hart
22. angel
23 Schlong

So, apart from putting Simone on the bench and Batman starting, and Ali Price in for Henners. (Oh and Swinson on the bench) I think I have just recorded a Personal Best for predicting the Tombola. Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri May 06, 2016 9:55 pm

IanBru wrote:Jim, you're blind, she was sat almost right behind me! Admittedly, her dark red hair (or 'vibrant copper' as I'm told, often) did get lost in the background.

Nice story actually, we couldn't get seats together, so she was sat in the same section but on the front row. As I walked up to my seat at the start of the match, the lovely old couple who've sat behind me for the last four years piped up and said "Have you ditched your woman, Ian? That's not good, son!".

They then offered me their spare seat, which their little grandson sometimes occupies. So Hagia Sophia got to hold court chatting to half of Glasgow behind me, as only she can, while I cheered for wee Dunky in front. As they say, there's something a bit special about Glaswegians. She's now a fully paid-up member of the #WarriorNation, just as I'm a full-on shirt-owning part of the #FalconsFamily.

I'd be delighted to see you in Edinburgh. Sophia and I are staying in Glasgow for the weekend and coming through for the day. Give me a shout if you want to meet up for lunch or a drink.

Are they mutually exclusive? egg cake cider Ale RedWine

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat May 07, 2016 12:25 am

Surprised there's no sign of Weir on the bench, given Russell's kicking lately thought being able to roll Meatball off the bench should things pan out that way would've seemed logical.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat May 07, 2016 1:11 am

Gloverman, Hornee to 10, Dunbar to 12 and angel to the rescue most likely.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat May 07, 2016 2:20 am

IanBru wrote:Well now, that's a team and a half.

Glasgow Warriors team named to play Connacht at the Sportsground on Saturday 7 May, kick-off 3pm, live on BBC One Scotland:
15. Stuart Hogg
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Alex Dunbar
12. Peter Horne
11. Lee Jones
10. Finn Russell
9. Ali Price

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Leone Nakarawa
5. Jonny Gray (Captain)
6. Rob Harley
7. Ryan Wilson
8. Josh Strauss

Replacements

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Tim Swinson
20. Simone Favaro
21. Grayson Hart
22. Mark Bennett
23. Sean Lamont
Yes, that's pretty good. 

Swinson, Nina and the Messiah off the bench offer impact. I've never been totally sold on Hart so I guess I must have missed the news bulletin saying why Pyrgos is broken. Price needs to have a good game and keep the error count low. If I was him, I would write on my wrist taping: "you are not Fijian, you are NOT Fijian".

What a blessing it is to have Horne able to cover 10. If Duncan Weir's name appears on the team sheet on any of the final games this season, I will be forced to drink heavily.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat May 07, 2016 4:24 am

George Carlin wrote:
IanBru wrote:Well now, that's a team and a half.

15. Stuart Hogg
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Alex Dunbar
12. Peter Horne
11. Lee Jones
10. Finn Russell
9. Ali Price

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Leone Nakarawa
5. Jonny Gray (Captain)
6. Rob Harley
7. Ryan Wilson
8. Josh Strauss

Replacements

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Tim Swinson
20. Simone Favaro
21. Grayson Hart
22. Mark Bennett
23. Sean Lamont
Yes, that's pretty good. 

Swinson, Nina and the Messiah off the bench offer impact. I've never been totally sold on Hart so I guess I must have missed the news bulletin saying why Pyrgos is broken. Price needs to have a good game and keep the error count low. If I was him, I would write on my wrist taping: "you are not Fijian, you are NOT Fijian".

What a blessing it is to have Horne able to cover 10. If Duncan Weir's name appears on the team sheet on any of the final games this season, I will be forced to drink heavily.

George, Laugh Laugh Laugh

as W.C. Fields once said, "It was a woman that drove me to drink. I'll be a son of a gun I forgot to thank her." RedWine

p.s. As you are the font of all things Ayr-related I may be arriving in Ayr on the morning of the final, what's the chances that Ayr RFC are running a charabanc through to Luvvieville?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat May 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Excited for todays match! Both Connacht and Glasgow backlines looks potent, however, according to BBC weather its gonna be pretty wet. So may not be the game you'd expect on paper. I'm expecting a low scoring affair with fair few kicks at goal.

Wonder if Glasgow can make it 10 in a row? that would be impressive. Personally I think Connacht might sneak it, they look well organised. Good luck to both teams!

17 - 9 to Connacht is my prediction.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat May 07, 2016 11:48 pm

Maybe Treviso could beat Leinster, might be good odds on that one.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun May 08, 2016 12:01 am

bsando wrote:Excited for todays match! Both Connacht and Glasgow backlines looks potent, however, according to BBC weather its gonna be pretty wet. So may not be the game you'd expect on paper. I'm expecting a low scoring affair with fair few kicks at goal.

Unfortunately theres sh!tty weather today. Its annoying because the last few weeks have been decent and mostly dry but it sums up the luck the pro 12 had with the weather this season. I heard during the week that Ulsters win over Leinster last weekend was only the second time this season it was dry in the kingspan. It must be similar for the other sides.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun May 08, 2016 12:03 am

Given that the league involves Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland we perhaps shouldn't be surprised that a lot of games play in rain...!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun May 08, 2016 12:06 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Given that the league involves Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland we perhaps shouldn't be surprised that a lot of games play in rain...!

I said it was annoying, not surprising.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun May 08, 2016 12:12 am

Just being cheeky! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun May 08, 2016 1:01 am

Given how dominant the Connacht scrum will be, rain is not what we wanted.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun May 08, 2016 1:02 am

cakeordeath wrote:Given how dominant the Connacht scrum will be, rain is not what we wanted.

They are without Dennis Buckley though, probably the best loosehead in the league this season.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun May 08, 2016 1:09 am

Frak sake Finn

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun May 08, 2016 1:10 am

Russell having a bit of a mare.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun May 08, 2016 1:15 am

All Glasgow, but nothing to show for it

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun May 08, 2016 1:16 am

Dunbar off with an injury

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun May 08, 2016 1:17 am

Baws!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun May 08, 2016 1:18 am

What happened to bealham? I missed the first few minutes

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun May 08, 2016 1:23 am

First visit to the Glasgow 22 and Connacht score FFS

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Sun May 08, 2016 1:25 am

Weege seem to have t!ts for hands today...

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Sun May 08, 2016 1:27 am

and feet!

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun May 08, 2016 1:28 am

Russell is a liability today

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun May 08, 2016 1:32 am

Some massive hits from the Connacht defense.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun May 08, 2016 1:40 am

I get the feeling that when John Beattie says "let's be neutral..." it's kind of like saying "no offence but you're a dick"

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun May 08, 2016 1:49 am

7-6 would have been a whole lot better in this weather - Finn could cost Glasgow this game

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Sun May 08, 2016 2:17 am

Puafisi what a fanny

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun May 08, 2016 2:19 am

Ref: you lead with the shoulder
Puafisi: last one ref.

Next play straight in with the shoulder. What a knob

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Sun May 08, 2016 2:20 am

Weege are stuffed now

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next