The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer vs Nalbandian

+2
socal1976
It Must Be Love
6 posters

Go down

Federer vs Nalbandian  Empty Federer vs Nalbandian

Post by It Must Be Love Thu 28 Apr 2016, 8:08 pm

After spotting some gems on youtube, I've come up with an idea to entertain you guys; I will try to find some highlights of great matches from the past decade or so and post them on here.
Note- Matches that I think are great quality, but perhaps weren't famous Grand Slam finals (so no Wimb2008 sort of stuff).
Also I will try to stick to videos in HD or atleast 480p.

2 to start off with:
Federer vs Nalbandian WTF Final 2005 (if you skip to 39 min, you can see Federer in the 5th set serving at 6-5 30-0... and what happens next).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hSSRIca4ZY

Federer vs Del Potro French Open 2009 Semi (Federer under huge pressure after Nadal loses to Soderling... and goes 2 sets to 1 down against a young JDMP; watch how the great champion responds):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmhKjrxTRME

Btw if any of you want to take up the idea and do the same that would be great too, perhaps some fun matches from the 80's if that's your taste.

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Federer vs Nalbandian  Empty Re: Federer vs Nalbandian

Post by socal1976 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 10:30 pm

Here you go IMBL this one is specially for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exfT5Xd_XzA

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 29 Apr 2016, 9:42 am

I think this is probably the best Djokovic v Murray match. One of the few times they have pushed each other to their best tennis rather than stifled each other.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 29 Apr 2016, 10:24 am

socal1976 wrote:Here you go IMBL this one is specially for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exfT5Xd_XzA

Ouch !

I could hit back with one of those clips of Djokovic double faulting match point down against Nadal in a French Open final, but there's so many to choose from it's hard to pick.

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Fri 29 Apr 2016, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Fri 29 Apr 2016, 10:25 am

HM Murdock wrote:I think this is probably the best Djokovic v Murray match. One of the few times they have pushed each other to their best tennis rather than stifled each other.
Nice !

I remember that, great match, probably one of Murray's best matches on clay.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 29 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

Agree was great. I think clay actually suits Murray really well because it forces him to use the variety he has within him.

Another great clay match was Djokovic vs Nadal at Madrid 2009. But my favourite clay match EVER is Nadal vs Coria at Rome 2005. Amazing level of skill and nerve...such a shame what happened to Coria too (even though I didn't like him off court).

Just look at Nadal's movement/speed of feet and level of aggression back then...!!!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 29 Apr 2016, 4:41 pm

I'm going to add this one: Nadal v Djokovic Miami 2007.

Rafa was 20 and the established #2. Novak was 19 and making his move up the rankings (he was the #10 seed in this tournament).

The speed of both is astonishing and Rafa's forehand was a monster back then.

When you compare this with what we've seen from 19/20 year olds since, it's easy to see that these guys have that extra undefinable 'something'.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 29 Apr 2016, 4:51 pm

lydian wrote:Another great clay match was Djokovic vs Nadal at Madrid 2009. But my favourite clay match EVER is Nadal vs Coria at Rome 2005. Amazing level of skill and nerve...such a shame what happened to Coria too (even though I didn't like him off court).
Incredible to think that Rafa was only 18 back then.

That Madrid 09 match is probably the best clay match between the two in my opinion. I remember after the match, Djokovic said: "I played one of my best matches ever.I was a couple of points from the victory. I even played a few points above my limits and I still didn't win".

In a few months' time, Novak would begin the Todd Martin experiment... picard

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 29 Apr 2016, 5:01 pm

Great clip that HMM. Like you say these guys at that age were light years ahead of any 19/20 year old now, you can see all time talent right there.

What always strikes me - with sadness - is the player Rafa was up to around 2008. He was so aggressive, and that FH reared up off the court in a way it doesn't do any more...you can see that watching the Coria clip above.

He simply doesn't get that peak RPM anymore...and I don't know why really but maybe his FH racquet head speed has dropped a bit. But the key change is that he became more defensive in mindset/positioning after 2008ish. It must have been a change of approach by Toni but I don't agree it was for the better and blunted the naturally attacking mindset we first saw from 17yo Nadal vs #1 Fed back at Miami 2004.

Yeah Djokovic was gutted after that Madrid loss but even though you knew the balance between them was finely tuned. We have had an amazing 10 years of 3 players (and Murray to lesser extent) bringing the type of tennis we may not see for many years to come. Yes Zverev and Taylor, etc, are good but they are not the same league as these guys. We've been spoilt!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 29 Apr 2016, 5:37 pm

Lydian - for some reason, I never warmed to Rafa's game back in the day. But when I watch the old clips, I'm amazed by him. Incredible talent.

I agree about the later, more defensive style too. Tough to argue with the results it produced, but it seems to have come at the cost of some of the most exiting parts of his game.

I did however, really like the way he played in 2013. That was much closer to his older style in its court position and aggression.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 01 May 2016, 7:24 pm

Nadal vs Verdasco AO 2009, was one of the best matches I ever saw but I remember it most for the tie break, that Verdasco had to win to stay in the match. I've seen nothing like it before or since.

"Best Tie-Break ever. Nadal Verdasco Australian Open 2009":-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjnvvzmX6MY
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 01 May 2016, 7:54 pm

You can actually hear Verdasco going "Smeg it I'll just go nuclear and see whay happens" in his mind before the TB starts
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 01 May 2016, 7:54 pm

You can actually hear Verdasco going "Smeg it I'll just go nuclear and see whay happens" in his mind before the TB starts
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down