The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marler Banned

+34
Luckless Pedestrian
doctor_grey
exile jack
cakeordeath
Jimpy
nlpnlp
Cyril
HammerofThunor
munkian
mikey_dragon
beshocked
No 7&1/2
ScarletSpiderman
Cardiff Dave
quinsforever
SecretFly
The Great Aukster
PenfroPete
Knowsit17
majesticimperialman
lostinwales
sad_gimp
Scottrf
TightHEAD
offload
SimonofSurrey
nathan
rainbow-warrior
Marshes
Notch
IanBru
RiscaGame
Barney McGrew did it
Allty
38 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Marler Banned - Page 3 Empty Marler Banned

Post by Allty Tue 05 Apr 2016, 9:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/35967459

Allty

Back to top Go down

Marler Banned - Page 3 Empty Re: Marler Banned

Post by exile jack Wed 27 Apr 2016, 8:13 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
exile jack wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Given how the French have recently taken the mick in appealing bans domestically handed out from Euro comp I'd like to think they'd keep their heads down.

From recent evidence i'm not sure i'd want to put my head,or any other body part,down in front of Joe M.The French case you refer to is interesting in two respects.Firstly,the case fell on a legal technicality concerning 'evidence' under French law.Secondly, you would think any professional rugby disciplinary process would be compliant with the legal jurisdiction in which an offence took place.I note that Joe M was represented by one of the UK's leading Queen's Counsel but he failed to get the citing dismissed on legal grounds.I agree that the disciplinary processes more generally need serious review because the anomalies are increasing.Rather than pfaffing about rules changes WR should focus on improving the credibility of the citing and sanction process.

Perhaps another way of looking at this incident is to avoid use of the words 'Marler','English' and 'French' and state that a top professional rugby player kicked another top professional rugby player,was cited and found guilty,and was given a ban of 2 weeks.Doesn't quite hit the right note for me.

Both kicks this weekend weren't full blooded, if they were both would be looking at longer bans.

Foul play is foul play.A full blooded kick from a 20st man wearing rugby boots on another player's head,protected or otherwise, is likely to lead to sanction a lot more serious than a playing suspension.Speaking on behalf of my mad keen rugby playing grandchildren i'm unhappy with a principle that foul play can be more or less acceptable,with less or more sanction, depending on a sliding scale of violence.What next? A sliding scale of eye gouging violence? Irrespective of Marler or any nationality top professional players set the conduct standard right down through the playing and coaching pyramid.

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 8:21 pm

I don't favour a flat rate of punishment for each broken law.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:22 pm

Why did they take two weeks off?

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:52 pm

Because they copped out. Best get World Rugby on the case again Very Happy

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Apr 2016, 10:00 pm

Ah well, as long as he's learnt his lesson chin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 27 Apr 2016, 10:00 pm

Joe Marler, now that's one posh English c**t I'm tired of hearing about....

Smile

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 27 Apr 2016, 11:11 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Well it's within the rules to do what McIntyre did and not within the rules to do no a no arms high (granted the player was going down) tackle after just being warned.
look at the video link i posted on another thread. it was most definitely not a no arms tackle. so much so that dai young initially though farrell had hit robson in the head with the short arm that he led with...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 27 Apr 2016, 11:13 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Joe Marler, now that's one posh English c**t I'm tired of hearing about....

Smile

Laugh
How right you are.  The cucumber sandwich eating toff bollix!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Thu 28 Apr 2016, 4:55 am

Can't beat them fairly call them names or use thuggery, Marler has it all apart from being better than others Smile
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 28 Apr 2016, 7:54 am

quinsforever wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Well it's within the rules to do what McIntyre did and not within the rules to do no a no arms high (granted the player was going down) tackle after just being warned.
look at the video link i posted on another thread. it was most definitely not a no arms tackle. so much so that dai young initially though farrell had hit robson in the head with the short arm that he led with...

Yeah, seen it. Really bad.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 28 Apr 2016, 8:32 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:Can't beat them fairly call them names or use thuggery, Marler has it all apart from being better than others Smile

He's certainly better than his Welsh counterpart, that much was obvious last time out.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 29 Apr 2016, 5:13 pm

Marlers a real team player, he's just taking the spotlight off his captain Hartley by getting banned more then Hartley even managed to. Soon he'll be the horrible English thug that every one goes on about and people will forget Hartley.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 29 Apr 2016, 5:50 pm

Yeah...nice plan by Jones.  It's cooking nicely.  Just as the Aussies prepare to beat the crap out of bully boy Marler to teach him some manners, like.... out will come old school Hartley with a rear-guard action of thuggery that both astounds and helps win three games on the trot.

He'll get a year long ban but it'll be 12 months well earned.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 29 Apr 2016, 8:27 pm

Exactly

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 30 Apr 2016, 12:49 am

I posted this on the match thread, so I may as well post it here:

It was just so unnecessary. If the fallout from the England - Wales game hasn't taught him that you can't get away with much in a televised game, then you wonder what will, especially as this was his first game back and he was always going to be under scrutiny.

I hope this time we don't hear the defence of, 'oh, but he's a nice guy off the pitch,' which is clearly irrelevant if he keeps being a d!ck on it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat 30 Apr 2016, 12:52 am

I'll add this: Joe Marler is clearly a very, very good player and easily good enough to represent the Lions in time; but it wouldn't do him any harm if he was dropped from England's tour of Australia, if only to remind him to focus on what matters, and to let go what doesn't matter.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 30 Apr 2016, 11:31 am

Jimpy wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:Can't beat them fairly call them names or use thuggery, Marler has it all apart from being better than others Smile

He's certainly better than his Welsh counterpart, that much was obvious last time out.

Coming from you it means nothing, believe me.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 03 May 2016, 2:32 pm

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Coming from you it means nothing, believe me.

You took the words right out of my mouth laughing

Last edited by Jimpy on Tue 03 May 2016, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 03 May 2016, 2:34 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'll add this: Joe Marler is clearly a very, very good player and easily good enough to represent the Lions in time; but it wouldn't do him any harm if he was dropped from England's tour of Australia, if only to remind him to focus on what matters, and to let go what doesn't matter.

It was reported yesterday I think that Marler is seeking professional help for this apparent 'problem'. I thought all the players, most professional sports people, have access to, or seek regular advice from sports psychologists?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 03 May 2016, 2:54 pm

Jimpy wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'll add this: Joe Marler is clearly a very, very good player and easily good enough to represent the Lions in time; but it wouldn't do him any harm if he was dropped from England's tour of Australia, if only to remind him to focus on what matters, and to let go what doesn't matter.

It was reported yesterday I think that Marler is seeking professional help for this apparent 'problem'. I thought all the players, most professional sports people, have access to, or seek regular advice from sports psychologists?

I saw the same article (online in the torygraph). He was very honest about the situation and about going into the last disciplinary session alone

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 03 May 2016, 3:01 pm

I think it's a bit of an over-reaction if he feels he needs a psychological evaluation.

Just calm the f**k down, Joe - is piece of advice Number 1. And go easy on the keep-fit nutrition - is the other bit.

Exercise moderation in both and you'll be fine.

That'll by £6500 for the ten second consultation please.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 03 May 2016, 4:52 pm

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/rugby_union/article1691407.ece (subscription required for full article - which I haven't got)

MARLER: I had lost it. I needed help

JOE MARLER, the England prop who has been banned twice from rugby in the past month, has sought psychological help in a bid to end his disciplinary trouble, after describing himself as “out of control” in a recent game.

Banned after calling opponent Samson Lee “gypsy boy” during England’s Six Nations clash with Wales in March, Marler was then suspended after his first game back when his boot made contact with the head of Grenoble’s Arnaud Heguy in the European Challenge Cup semi-final.

Of his hearing last week for the second offence, he revealed: "I just told them, 'Look, I kicked him. I kicked out and did wrong, I am not going to try and put it any other way' I told them that I recognised that I needed help and that I was getting help and whatever they gave me was fine. It was not just that one incident
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 03 May 2016, 5:27 pm

I don't want to knock those with serious mental health issues in my next statement but all I can think of when reading that about Marler is the following....

boo f***** hoo.

Sounds like damage limitation to reduce his ban if anything.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 03 May 2016, 6:22 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Of his hearing last week for the second offence, he revealed: "I just told them, 'Look, I kicked him. I kicked out and did wrong, I am not going to try and put it any other way' I told them that I recognised that I needed help and that I was getting help and whatever they gave me was fine. It was not just that one incident
He went for help to his local barber.  
He rejected that advice because the barber wanted to give him a Kim Jong-un hairdo.  Instead he went for anger management lessons from Jaime Cudmore.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 04 May 2016, 8:43 am

Seems to be a few on the England team with these 'issues' though at least Brown hasn't lashed out and done anything stupid, yet.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 04 May 2016, 10:18 am

munkian wrote:Seems to be a few on the England team with these 'issues' though at least Brown hasn't lashed out and done anything stupid, yet.
Could be worse. They could be like Williams or Hogg. Or dive like Sexton Shocked

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 04 May 2016, 10:55 am

Sportsman realizes there is a problem with an aspect of his performance, sportsman finds that there may be ways of fixing that problem, sportsman explores those ways. It's not really a big deal.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 04 May 2016, 11:28 am

Cyril wrote:
munkian wrote:Seems to be a few on the England team with these 'issues' though at least Brown hasn't lashed out and done anything stupid, yet.
Could be worse. They could be like Williams or Hogg. Or dive like Sexton Shocked

Liam Williams ? Liam Williams who was booted in the head by an English player in the RWC ? Hes hardly up there with Marler, Hartley or Calum Clark now is he ? Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 04 May 2016, 11:33 am

munkian wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Liam Williams ? Liam Williams who was booted in the head by an English player in the RWC ? Hes hardly up there with Marler, Hartley or Calum Clark now is he ? Rolling Eyes

Threw away a priceless away win in SA for Wales though by taking out Hendriks via an eblow to the temple close to stoppage time. On a 1-10 of stupid things to do in a test match... that was 11.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 May 2016, 11:39 am

An elbow, are you making that up? It was a poorly executed tackle, nothing malicious there.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 04 May 2016, 11:41 am

Yeah, it was a no arms tackle at worse, hardly the same thing Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 04 May 2016, 11:41 am

mikey_dragon wrote:An elbow, are you making that up? It was a poorly executed tackle, nothing malicious there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtYc-PPCCE

You call that a tackle?

Not saying it was malicious but there was zero intent to make a tackle, he had 10 metres to prepare himself for a tackle and he didn't even attempt to wrap his arms around. It was cynical and if I recall he was rightly sent off.

Cost wales the game.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 May 2016, 11:59 am

fa0019 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:An elbow, are you making that up? It was a poorly executed tackle, nothing malicious there.

You call that a tackle?

Not saying it was malicious but there was zero intent to make a tackle, he had 10 metres to prepare himself for a tackle and he didn't even attempt to wrap his arms around. It was cynical and if I recall he was rightly sent off.

Cost wales the game.

Crikey was it you that captioned that video? I didn't see an elbow to the head either, he lead with the shoulder and made an illegal challenge. I can't be sure I know what he was thinking at the time (neither can you BTW) but I don't think it was malicious. Neither did Hendricks think that, nor the crowd, nor the commentators. Up to the point after a slow motion replay was broadcast it was deemed a good tackle. He wasn't sent off either. It was no more or less costly than the penalty try that was given earlier in the game. You have a knack for bringing this up, just like people have a knack for trying to link Liam Williams to on-going foul play and red cards. There's been no such link yet but by all means keep trying.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 04 May 2016, 12:01 pm

And hardly a recent event. Didn't Hartley get red carded and cost his side a possible Aviva title anyway ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 04 May 2016, 12:03 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

You call that a tackle?

Cost wales the game.

Crikey was it you that captioned that video? I didn't see an elbow to the head either, he lead with the shoulder and made an illegal challenge. I can't be sure I know what he was thinking at the time (neither can you BTW) but I don't think it was malicious. Neither did Hendricks think that, nor the crowd, nor the commentators. Up to the point after a slow motion replay was broadcast it was deemed a good tackle. He wasn't sent off either. It was no more or less costly than the penalty try that was given earlier in the game. You have a knack for bringing this up, just like people have a knack for trying to link Liam Williams to on-going foul play and red cards. There's been no such link yet but by all means keep trying.

It was very costly. It was the difference between a conversion from the touchline and a conversion in front of the posts.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 May 2016, 12:32 pm

Yeah, but no more or less costly than the previous penalty try in the game. You either overlooked that part of the post or just want to argue.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 May 2016, 12:34 pm

munkian wrote:And hardly a recent event. Didn't Hartley get red carded and cost his side a possible Aviva title anyway ?

Well that's the boring English for you, always have to bring up old and irrelevant sh*t.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 04 May 2016, 12:35 pm

Oh the irony

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 04 May 2016, 12:39 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Yeah, but no more or less costly than the previous penalty try in the game. You either overlooked that part of the post or just want to argue.

A touchline conversion to take the lead with minutes to go, or a sitter in front of the posts. There's quite a difference.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 May 2016, 1:44 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Yeah, but no more or less costly than the previous penalty try in the game. You either overlooked that part of the post or just want to argue.

A touchline conversion to take the lead with minutes to go, or a sitter in front of the posts. There's quite a difference.

I think you're missing the point, there were two penalty tries in the game. No penalty try was worse than the next, or the latter worse than the former. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? Also can anyone tell me why the English brought up Hogg and Williams on a thread about Marler?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 04 May 2016, 1:47 pm

The English or Cyril?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 04 May 2016, 1:56 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

I think you're missing the point, there were two penalty tries in the game. No penalty try was worse than the next, or the latter worse than the former. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? Also can anyone tell me why the English brought  up Hogg and Williams on a thread about Marler?

Sexton was brought up too....so I guess Cyril thinks we were all feeling left out?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 04 May 2016, 1:58 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

I think you're missing the point, there were two penalty tries in the game. No penalty try was worse than the next, or the latter worse than the former. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? Also can anyone tell me why the English brought  up Hogg and Williams on a thread about Marler?

Because one crap WUM demands another. That is why. As in...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 May 2016, 2:02 pm

Mentioning that it MAY be a trend among some of the current England players and not just Marler seems very on topic tbh, doesn't mean it's correct though. I just find 'fans' obsession with trying and failing to link Liam Williams to on-going foul play, etc a bit strange.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 04 May 2016, 3:05 pm

Yeah, not sure how its a WUM ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Wed 04 May 2016, 3:26 pm

I definitely prefer bitter welsh WUMs to the gloating variety Ale

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 05 May 2016, 10:51 am

munkian wrote:
Cyril wrote:

One has calmed the f**k right down and now captains his country and the other is history - he got a 32 week ban and it was so long ago that I can't even remember when he returned to the team....

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 05 May 2016, 11:00 am

Ok so we are setting a time limit on player's transgressions as and when it suits your anti Wales diatribe ?

Got you.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 05 May 2016, 11:08 am

Does seem that England are playing closer to the edge which is no bad thing. Once some of the players know how far they can push it and actually get away with it should be better still.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 05 May 2016, 11:11 am

Like Farrel's petulant push during the 6 Nations which lost your side a thrown in to the opponent's 22 and resulted in the opponent getting a throw in to your 22 ? Wink
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next