The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC 200 McGregor vs Diaz 2

+5
Good Golly I'm Olly
S.o.F
Fernando
Pr4wn
AdamT
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

UFC 200 McGregor vs Diaz 2 Empty UFC 200 McGregor vs Diaz 2

Post by AdamT Thu 31 Mar 2016, 11:03 am

McGregor gets his chance of revenge at 170. White and Kavanagh wanted him to take the fight at 155, but he is obsessed with avenging the loss at the same weight.

My prediction! 2nd round submission for Diaz. I think he will take control earlier.

Also Aldo v Edgar is announced for the interim 145 title. I pick Edgar by late stoppage.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

UFC 200 McGregor vs Diaz 2 Empty Re: UFC 200 McGregor vs Diaz 2

Post by Pr4wn Thu 31 Mar 2016, 11:12 am

Velasquez vs Travis Browne too. Bit disappointed with the card, to be honest.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 31 Mar 2016, 11:17 am

Not fantastic. I think McGregor and UFC are looking to milk maximum money, now the bubble has been burst. If he had of lost to Edgar, or somebody else before the Diaz rematch, then the big money rematch wouldn't be there.

At least if (when) he loses to Diaz, he can step down and defend his title in a big money fight.

Expect Conor to talk a load of crap, how he has got used to the weight and how he will be more efficient with his energy. Also that he was winning the first fight until he gassed.

I really think Nate will do an absolute number on him this time.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Apr 2016, 4:42 pm

I think its a decent card to be honest, it may not be a 'stacked' card but should all be decent fights. Ok Northcutt probably has tomato can and I don't know Mousasi's opponent that aside I'm happy with it.

Main event is going to be interesting, CM now knows that Diaz hits hard enough to ko him so is going to have to be in tip top condition with a good game plan. I can't write CM off but I feel he needs to get this over within 3 otherwise its Diaz again. My only concern for Diaz is that he may be up against the ref as well. Lets not forget CM is the UFC's cash cow at the moment and he is going to be given every chance there is, also Diaz cuts easily.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 19 Apr 2016, 8:14 pm

Conor McGregor ✔ ‎@TheNotoriousMMA
I have decided to retire young.
Thanks for the cheese.
Catch ya's later.

I assume someone wants a payrise tbh.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by S.o.F Wed 20 Apr 2016, 8:39 am

He's been withdrawn from the card due to a failing to do media commitments.

Usually his bread and butter!

S.o.F

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 20 Apr 2016, 8:57 am

Very strange.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm

Seems like they're not gonna give him enough dollar
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Apr 2016, 12:35 pm

Ordinarily one would think this was bullsh!t to boost PPV sales but can't see how this fight DOESN'T sell. People either want to see if McGregor can turn it around or see him get his ass handed to him. However, can't see McGregor walking away from one of the biggest paydays of his career, but then again if Rousey is making a comeback, will Dana be that bothered if McGregor doesn't show?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Apr 2016, 2:11 pm

Certainly is strange as this will do more sales than the first fight and I can't see that CM has priced himself out of it. Apparently he saw a guy die at an MMA event very recently and this has had an effect on him. Maybe it has or maybe he isn't that confident of beating Diaz 2nd time around. Another defeat for him and his stock plummets. Pity as I was looking forward to this and I think CM is a decent fighter.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 20 Apr 2016, 3:26 pm

sohotnot wrote:Certainly is strange as this will do more sales than the first fight and I can't see that CM has priced himself out of it. Apparently he saw a guy die at an MMA event very recently and this has had an effect on him.

Is that just speculation though? - the official story is he wasn't happy with the media commitments and wanted to focus on training rather than travel to LV.

A cynic might say he (and maybe White is in on it too) were looking for a way of pulling him from the fight to save face - maybe he realizes competing at 170 is beyond him.

Very strange.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Apr 2016, 8:50 pm

rodders wrote:
sohotnot wrote:Certainly is strange as this will do more sales than the first fight and I can't see that CM has priced himself out of it. Apparently he saw a guy die at an MMA event very recently and this has had an effect on him.

Is that just speculation though? -
the official story is he wasn't happy with the media commitments and wanted to focus on training rather than travel to LV.

A cynic might say he (and maybe White is in on it too) were looking for a way of pulling him from the fight to save face - maybe he realizes competing at 170 is beyond him.

Very strange.  

Well obviously I am speculating that the rematch would have done more sales than the first, it is also my opinion that CM would not have priced himself out of what was very possibly his biggest fight to date, again we can say I am speculating. The bit about the the guy dying I got from the BBC website so not speculating. I had read that CM wasn't prepared to do all the usual media stuff which is very unusual for him although not so surprising as he can't trash talk like the first time around.

Interestingly after asking for the rematch at 170 when the UFC had suggested it at 155 his team wanted him to take it at 155 and by all accounts he was prepared to go to 155 but the contracts had already been drawn up and he was happy to sign at 170. I am pretty sure that he could've got that changed. To be honest I don't think its cynical to think that either CM or Dana were looking for a way to pull him from the fight and I wouldn't rule out him making a comeback in 12 months time, as long as he remains in the limelight he would still be a massive pull.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 21 Apr 2016, 4:11 pm

Conor's Statement from FB

I am just trying to do my job and fight here. 
I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.
I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting. 

There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.
50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this. 
Nothing else was going through my mind. 
It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.
Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a Frak morning show did not get me this life. 

Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a Frak about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
I'm coming for my revenge here. 

I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep. 
With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight. 
I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.
I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.
But it was denied. 

There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me. 
So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them. 
And all with one tweet.

Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good. 
I must isolate myself now.
I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time. 
I can not dance for you this time.
It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here. 
Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it. 

He came in with no Poopie to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.
Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.
I'm doing what I need for me now. 

It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way. 
I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway. 
I am still ready to go for UFC 200. 

I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say. 
For the record also - 
For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations - 
I AM NOT RETIRED.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 21 Apr 2016, 5:15 pm

I love him.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 23 Apr 2016, 9:35 am

I think he is saving face and knows Diaz will beat him again. He will come back and fight someone else now.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Apr 2016, 9:56 am

This had crossed my mind. We've heard so many reasons for him being pulled from the card, his 'retirement' etc part of me thinks it could be a bit of a smokescreen. Again nothing concrete here, but there was talk of him facing GSP who is also rumoured to be coming back and could fight Diaz at UFC 200. Lets say this happens, GSP beats Diaz, CM fights a tomato can at WW and before the end of the year the 2 fight, winner faces Lawler. And if its CM he makes even more money than before and becomes the first UFC fighter to make 100,000,000 as he so often has talked about.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 23 Apr 2016, 10:40 am

GSP isn't coming back. He's sited the Reebok deal. He's sponsored by under armour, so wearing a reebok kit isn't going to work.
Dana did say Diaz would be given another fight, Diaz the friken legend, drops it on Dana at "the press conference" that he doesn't give a stuff about fighting, and if it's not conor, he's on vacation. Class. I hope the card tanks.

I take conor at face value, he's been consistent in his complaints about media obligations. The ufc don't want anyone getting too big and powerful, it's conor last chance to make a stand, another loss and his stock is dirt.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:20 pm

That is why I think McGregor is having second thoughts on Diaz. 2 losses in a row isn't great for the biggest "superstar." The casuals will not be as bothered about him, if he gets another hammering.

His pride is hurt and he rushed into the decision to face Diaz again. Also in my opinion, he isn't looking forward to the trash talk, that Diaz will ultimately throw his way. McGregor could talk a lot of smack before, but Diaz will rip him to shreds and get inside his head (he already is in there big style). Conor knows the mental part of the game and he knows Diaz has the upper hand with the mental warfare. McGregor wants to keep conferences and head to heads at a minimum, to avoid Diaz making him crack.

I think he already has cracked. I think he wants to fight Daiz, but he is in extreme pressure now. He is the cash cow and bookies favourite. (God knows how)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

Not McGregor's biggest fan but do think Dana White is a prat and it's about time somebody stood up to him. Having lost for the first time and undoubtably going through a small confidence crisis, the last thing he'll want to do is take time out of training to promote a fight so that White can line his pockets with more money.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:31 pm

I do see were you are coming from, but all big fighters promote. Plus the fight is over 12 weeks away. Dana is a prat, but then again so is Conor.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:54 pm

It's more a case of there being a reasonable amount of promotion, Mcgregor is expected to do a lot more than any other fighter whether that be UFC or boxing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 23 Apr 2016, 12:58 pm

UFC is in a no win situation. They can lose their biggest star and a good few casual fans, or they can do whatever Conor wants. If they do what he wants, that means every potential superstar will look for more off the UFC.

It is only a matter of time until the UFC has a serious rival and then MMA will be similar to boxing. Only there will be even less chance, of champion fighting champion.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 25 Apr 2016, 9:22 am

AdamT wrote:That is why I think McGregor is having second thoughts on Diaz. 2 losses in a row isn't great for the biggest "superstar." The casuals will not be as bothered about him, if he gets another hammering.

His pride is hurt and he rushed into the decision to face Diaz again. Also in my opinion, he isn't looking forward to the trash talk, that Diaz will ultimately throw his way. McGregor could talk a lot of smack before, but Diaz will rip him to shreds and get inside his head (he already is in there big style). Conor knows the mental part of the game and he knows Diaz has the upper hand with the mental warfare. McGregor wants to keep conferences and head to heads at a minimum, to avoid Diaz making him crack.

I think he already has cracked. I think he wants to fight Daiz, but he is in extreme pressure now. He is the cash cow and bookies favourite. (God knows how)

I thought the exact same, that this was a set up by Conor (and White) to save face....until this morning now it sounds like the fight is back on!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:09 am

Great marketing ploy by UFC/McGregor. All the casuals sucked in even more. This will be the first MMA fight to surpass the 2 mill ppv mark. If not, it will come close.

Diaz 2nd round again for me.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:29 am

..and as you say he will likely avoid the head to head at the press conferences, where Diaz has the psychological edge.

Is Conor finished if he loses or could he redeem himself and stay at the top by beating the winner of Edgar v Aldo?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:32 am

Conor returns to UFC 200. Least surprising story of the week

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:59 am

rodders wrote:..and as you say he will likely avoid the head to head at the press conferences, where Diaz has the psychological edge.

Is Conor finished if he loses or could he redeem himself and stay at the top by beating the winner of Edgar v Aldo?

You see this is were he is a winner. He loses again? No problem, blame the weight and go down and defend the belt against Aldo/Edgar. He will claim he is unbeatable at the weight. However I am a bit sceptical he can make 145 anymore. He might find 155 is his only option.

I might be wrong, but I can't see him beating Diaz. His only chance is, to take his time and be in and out fast. He will need to hope accumulative damage over the rounds, will be enough to beat Diaz. I expect Diaz to land a bomb early and put McGregor on the backfoot early, unlike the last fight. I honestly think Conor will get desperate again and end up submitted. Probably 2nd round.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:09 am

AdamT wrote:
rodders wrote:..and as you say he will likely avoid the head to head at the press conferences, where Diaz has the psychological edge.

You see this is were he is a winner. He loses again? No problem, blame the weight and go down and defend the belt against Aldo/Edgar. He will claim he is unbeatable at the weight. However I am a bit sceptical he can make 145 anymore. He might find 155 is his only option.

I might be wrong, but I can't see him beating Diaz. His only chance is, to take his time and be in and out fast. He will need to hope accumulative damage over the rounds, will be enough to beat Diaz. I expect Diaz to land a bomb early and put McGregor on the backfoot early, unlike the last fight. I honestly think Conor will get desperate again and end up submitted. Probably 2nd round.  

Hard not to agree with that - I wonder is that part of the reason to have the fight at 170, he can still claim to be unbeaten at 155?

I think the last fight showed he can't win by KO - Diaz was able to recover from his best shots - and he can't win on the ground so unless he can go the distance by keeping out of range and hope to get the decision, its hard to see a different result.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 25 Apr 2016, 11:17 am

rodders wrote:
AdamT wrote:

Hard not to agree with that - I wonder is that part of the reason to have the fight at 170, he can still claim to be unbeaten at 155?

I think the last fight showed he can't win by KO - Diaz was able to recover from his best shots - and he can't win on the ground so unless he can go the distance by keeping out of range and hope to get the decision, its hard to see a different result.  

I agree fully. It will be interesting to see what improvements he can make. I have to admit, I am really looking forward to this fight. I'm not a huge mma fan, I do like the big fights. However these two have a fantastic blend of styles. It can't not be exciting.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:17 am

So fight is not on after all...... maybe.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:43 am

I'm getting f****d off with the whole McGregor thing now. I was a big fan at one time, but he is doing my head in now. Put him in the octagon with a silverback next. I would happily pay for that.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Apr 2016, 12:14 pm

Dana has said he has heard nothing from CM's camp and doesn't know why CM has tweeted this. Apparently Diaz is going on holiday and may not fight either! Not sure Diaz has quite the same influence with the UFC as CM.

Has anybody heard about a possible opponent for Diaz?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 26 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm

Diaz beating Conor was the worst thing ever for Dana. They can deny it, but the plan 100% was, McGregor vs Gsp at 200. It would of been huge. Gsp would win easily, but the fight would of smashed records.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:07 am

You don't think it was Lawler they were eyeing up?

Listened to in an interview with Kavanagh the other day and this does seem like a genuine enough dispute about the west coast press conferences interfering with their training plans, hard to know though what is staged and not with the UFC.

Another report claimed the fallout was between Conor and Lorenzo and that White isn't involved.

From the sounds of it Jones might not be ready to fight so it looks like there will be more twists yet.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:24 am

No sir. GSP was the money fight. It would of been too big to turn down. GSP would of had his shortcut to Lawler and Ma=cGregor would of stepped down to fight Aldo/Edgar.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:30 am

Diaz's attitude to all this is suspect. "I'm off on holiday! Yay!!!" Me? I'd be fuming. Diaz's rep is arguably higher than it's ever been and he's in a position to command perhaps the biggest payday he's ever likely to get for a fight he's every chance of winning again and now it looks like that cash could just vanish into thin air.

It's crazy, as long as McGregor's down to fight, he doesn't need to do the promo circuit. He's guaranteed money in the bank for the UFC. If I were Diaz I'd be thinking that even an extra couple of months isn't enough time for Conor to grow into the WW division an make the necessary improvements to his ground game to turn the result around. Strike while the iron's hot.

Then again, maybe Dana doesn't want Diaz winning as he's not as marketable as McGregor in the long run and he's wanting to give Conor more time to work on his skills.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:32 am

Your last sentence makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't be surprised if Dana wanted Diaz to fight a monster, ultimately get beat down, then Conor wouldn't need to fight him again.

It's a bad match up for Conor. A bigger man, with a reach advantage, who has great fitness and takes a great shot. Also of course he has a legit BJJ skills. I don't think Conor could ever beat him, unless he somehow gets an early ko.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:48 am

Does that mean the other sentences are b*ll*cks?

McGregor blew his ar$e out wasting punches. The ones he did land were doing serious damage but rather than go for a slow steady, clinical beating, he played to the crowd looking for the highlight reel spinning back kicks and KO shots.

Stupid and arrogant from McGregor but I genuinely believe that if he gets used to carrying that extra weight on his frame he has the beating of Diaz but he needs to fight smarter than he did last time.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:57 am

No the last sentence was just very good ha!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Apr 2016, 11:09 am

rodders wrote:You don't think it was Lawler they were eyeing up?

Listened to in an interview with Kavanagh the other day and this does seem like a genuine enough dispute about the west coast press conferences interfering with their training plans, hard to know though what is staged and not with the UFC.

Another report claimed the fallout was between Conor and Lorenzo and that White isn't involved.

From the sounds of it Jones might not be ready to fight so it looks like there will be more twists yet.

CM did mention fighting Lawler after he Ko's Diaz but there were rumours about GSP coming back and he was ringside for the fight. Diaz believes this was the case. Also rumours were that Diaz would face Lawler after beating CM but the rematch got made instead.

I think there is a possibility that all these press conferences were going to interfere with his training camp but as others have mentioned did CM really want to be going head to head with Diaz again? Its pretty obvious who got under who's skin more last time and how much trash talking can CM really do this time round after the way he was beaten? CM definitely needs a very good fight camp with a good game plan & a very cool head going into the fight this time otherwise its the same result.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 27 Apr 2016, 11:12 am

sohotnot wrote:
rodders wrote:You don't think it was Lawler they were eyeing up?

CM did mention fighting Lawler after he Ko's Diaz but there were rumours about GSP coming back and he was ringside for the fight. Diaz believes this was the case. Also rumours were that Diaz would face Lawler after beating CM but the rematch got made instead.

I think there is a possibility that all these press conferences were going to interfere with his training camp but as others have mentioned did CM really want to be going head to head with Diaz again? Its pretty obvious who got under who's skin more last time and how much trash talking can CM really do this time round after the way he was beaten? CM definitely needs a very good fight camp with a good game plan & a very cool head going into the fight this time otherwise its the same result.

Great post. He doesn't want any part of mind games. He knows Diaz will wind him the f**k up. Conor is a typical bully. Lethal at giving it, but does not want to receive it. That goes for striking and trash talk.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 12:16 pm

In the end he just believed too much in his own press and became a King Canute type fighter. Dana was simply loving the numbers he generated, partly CM partly the UFC hyping him up.  

Never complained about doing the press when he was winning, now his back is against the wall the pressure showed. Dana is a pretty transparent guy... do what I say, do the press, fight the fights and I'll make you a big star. Start thinking you're bigger than the sport; you can go back to cage warriors if you like.

For me he simply disrespected the entire roster saying he was going to clean up belt after belt after belt and I'm glad he got beat.
He was a big featherweight so bullied much of his opposition. Lets not pretend he went up 2 weights... yes but in reality Diaz is a lightweight and McGregor himself isn't a featherweight inbetween bouts. He went up 1 weight fighting a midcard ranked opponent out of shape and his punches whilst bloody were paper shots only. The Diaz brothers are renowned for cutting up easy. Don't let damage fool you.

When Couture was fighting guys 30kg heavier, 8 inches taller after moving up from LH and winning titles, that's a weight/size different to be applauded. That requires a totally new strategy. Mike Tyson spent his entire career beating guys with 8 inch height advantages, 8 inch reach advantages likewise.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 27 Apr 2016, 12:23 pm

fa0019 wrote:In the end he just believed too much in his own press and became a King Canute type fighter. Dana was simply loving the numbers he generated, partly CM partly the UFC hyping him up.  

Never complained about doing the press when he was winning, now his back is against the wall the pressure showed. Dana is a pretty transparent guy... do what I say, do the press, fight the fights and I'll make you a big star. Start thinking you're bigger than the sport; you can go back to cage warriors if you like.

For me he simply disrespected the entire roster saying he was going to clean up belt after belt after belt and I'm glad he got beat.
He was a big featherweight so bullied much of his opposition. Lets not pretend he went up 2 weights... yes but in reality Diaz is a lightweight and McGregor himself isn't a featherweight inbetween bouts. He went up 1 weight fighting a midcard ranked opponent out of shape and his punches whilst bloody were paper shots only. The Diaz brothers are renowned for cutting up easy. Don't let damage fool you.

When Couture was fighting guys 30kg heavier, 8 inches taller after moving up from LH and winning titles, that's a weight/size different to be applauded. That requires a totally new strategy. Mike Tyson spent his entire career beating guys with 8 inch height advantages, 8 inch reach advantages likewise.

Probably the best post I have read on this subject.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Apr 2016, 1:05 pm

fa0019 wrote:In the end he just believed too much in his own press and became a King Canute type fighter. Dana was simply loving the numbers he generated, partly CM partly the UFC hyping him up.  

Exactly in fact I think he loved all the media attention, he was on countless chat shows and as you say this is what the UFC do to make you a star, I don't know of any other Irish athletes that have had this kind of coverage in the states, definitely no American MMA fighter has.

So much has been made by CM fan boys about the 2 weight class jump yet his own team have said his fight night weight has hardly changed since the Max Holloway fight and Diaz is not getting enough credit despite coming in on 10 days notice.

Totally agree with you on your last paragraph.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Apr 2016, 1:05 pm

Exactly in fact I think he loved all the media attention, he was on countless chat shows and as you say this is what the UFC do to make you a star, I don't know of any other Irish athletes that have had this kind of coverage in the states, definitely no American MMA fighter has.

So much has been made by CM fan boys about the 2 weight class jump yet his own team have said his fight night weight has hardly changed since the Max Holloway fight and Diaz is not getting enough credit despite coming in on 10 days notice.

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 1:41 pm

sohotnot wrote:

The UFC have had just as big stars. Chuck Liddell was huge a decade ago. He was certainly mainstream and his PPV figures were much more impressive given a far lower fanbase for the sport. Brock Lesner in fact has 4 of the top 10 UFC PPVs inc. the no.1. So he doesn't do the celebrity circuit, his fanbase was massive.

To be honest it doesn't really matter if he has good chat. It doesn't mean much once his real fighting prowess in established.  UFC now has so many weights that fighters can dodge classes if its being dominated by 1 or 2 better individuals. Guys can lose a few Ibs more and all of a sudden they're the P4P champions. The usual generally happens.. some guy KOs a lot of middle ranked people, hyped to the max... eventually they fight genuine class fighters and it bursts.  Only Jones is the exception.

Lets face facts McGregor is what 5'8.. hell even Cormier is only 5'11. Its not that big a difference... not compared to Cormier's task in facing Jones next. Cormier would murder CM even if he went on a 1yr conditioning camp. He simply got found out and his bubble will quickly burst. Perhaps he will stay in Featherweight and even challenge Lightweight... he's not lacking of talent but he would be killed at welter and beyond.
The best I've heard is loyal fans saying WWE would love him. In your dreams. Ever seen a man 5'8 in the WWE bar Ray Mysterio? He lacks wrestling background like Bryan and I doubt he has the ring athleticism of Mysterio.. who himself is a bit of a joke to be honest.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 27 Apr 2016, 1:54 pm

He is actually 5'9, but what is an inch really??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 2:35 pm

AdamT wrote:He is actually 5'9, but what is an inch really??

Its like when fighters talk of fighters being 5Ibs heavier and thus having an unfair advantage... no one ever talks about that in the heavyweight division when height and weight are unrestricted.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Apr 2016, 3:36 pm

In the end he just believed too much in his own press and became a King Canute type fighter
Common misconception... Canute was a reasonable man but so beloved by his people that he was almost embarrassed by the esteem in which they held him. He said that he was no more capable of doing certain things than he was capable of commanding the sea to retreat. he never actually commanded the sea to retreat, the tale got twisted in the telling.

The comparison doesn't really apply to McGregor but the rest of the post is sound.

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 3:38 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
In the end he just believed too much in his own press and became a King Canute type fighter
Common misconception... Canute was a reasonable man but so beloved by his people that he was almost embarrassed by the esteem in which they held him. He said that he was no more capable of doing certain things than he was capable of commanding the sea to retreat. he never actually commanded the sea to retreat, the tale got twisted in the telling.

The comparison doesn't really apply to McGregor but the rest of the post is sound.

tip my cap to you sir if so. OK

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next