The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Gwent Dragons v Edinburgh, 27th March

+15
TJ
cakeordeath
bsando
glamorganalun
mikey_dragon
BigGee
VinceWLB
TheMildlyFranticLlama
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
RDW
RiscaGame
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
Luckless Pedestrian
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Edinburgh, 27th March - Page 2 Empty Newport Gwent Dragons v Edinburgh, 27th March

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Mar 2016, 5:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thought I might as well set up a match thread, even though Dragons and Edinburgh fans have nothing in common / to talk about at the moment...

Kick off: 14.30.

Live on S4C from 14.15.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Edinburgh, 27th March - Page 2 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons v Edinburgh, 27th March

Post by glamorganalun Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:42 pm

Dragons tackling is too passive but a decent try.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Edinburgh, 27th March - Page 2 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons v Edinburgh, 27th March

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:42 pm

Edinburgh look completely lacking any energy or spark.

This is brutal!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:47 pm

Decent second half maybe teams are flagging hence more space.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:49 pm

Hidalgo-Clyne choosing a bad day to have a kicking mare.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:54 pm

Hoyland is rotten at defending kicks
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 3:56 pm

I've seen some rank awful, uninspiring Edinburgh performances over the years but this is right up there.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:03 pm

What has happened to Hidalgo-Clyne??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:05 pm

Fairly partisan crowd! SHC doing a great job of playing Pyrgos onto the Scotland bench for the summer matches

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:05 pm

Neither team deserve to win this. Call it a draw and we can all go home
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:05 pm

I'm tempted to turn the swear filter off to sum up my feelings on this Edinburgh performance.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:08 pm

tigertattie wrote:Neither team deserve to win this. Call it a draw and we can all go make the Edinburgh players walk home

I'd be more in favour of this

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:09 pm

Bradbury once again making us ask the question why he's been overlooked all season. He's been a beast since coming on!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:10 pm

picard

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:11 pm

Good grief this is bad to watch. Basics being completely forgotten about
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:12 pm

I can see them sneaking this.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:13 pm

Why did he not kick to goal??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Neither team deserve to win this. Call it a draw and we can all go make the Edinburgh players walk home

I'd be more in favour of this

The dragons have to chum them up the road then get a megabus back home!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm

That was rancid. Lets forget that match immediately

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:15 pm

Feck me that was dreadful.

Edinburgh will not get a top 6 finish on this showing and we absolutely do not deserve it if we carry on playing like that.

Abysmal.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:15 pm

Well Edinburgh win, but god was it painful and they hardly deserved it. Still it keeps the season alive but it won't stay alive much longer if they keep playing like that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:16 pm

Yeah Bradbury, standout performance. One of the few players who looked like he knows what he is doing.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

Searching for some positives (and its not easy), I thought Ritchie played well and then so did Bradbury when he came on.

I think we saw as well why Toolis did not get picked by VC for the Ireland game, on that showing he clearly is not ready. He needs to learn to look after the ball, as does S H-C need to tidy up his kicking!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

Edinburgh can thanks Screech for that win, he was the man responsible of being offside and gifting Edinburgh 3 points on the stroke of half time and then knocked it on going into contact at the end. Semi pro level player i'm afraid.

Appalling stuff, how Faletau got motm ahead of Amos is beyond me too.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

What has happened to Hidalgo-Clyne's kicking? They were sitters!

His overall play is terrible just now too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:24 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:What has happened to Hidalgo-Clyne's kicking? They were sitters!

We have been telling you is been awful all year, that award last season ha done him o favours at all. He thought that he had arrived an he most definitely has not.

Edinburgh just have no half backs who can control a game and with he pack they have it is bonkers. Weir will surely make a difference, as will Tovey, I hop h plays next weekend.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:30 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Bradbury once again making us ask the question why he's been overlooked all season. He's been a beast since coming on!

Also A. Toolis didn't come on either, no wonder he will most likely be off at the end of the season.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:38 pm

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:What has happened to Hidalgo-Clyne's kicking? They were sitters!

We have been telling you is been awful all year, that award last season ha done him o favours at all. He thought that he had arrived an he most definitely has not.

Edinburgh just have no half backs who can control a game and with he pack they have it is bonkers. Weir will surely make a difference, as will Tovey, I hop h plays next weekend.

Before the 6N I thought he was coming back into his game, but the lack of Scotland gametime then the games he's had for Edinburgh during the 6N he's been poor.

The whole team was flat and lacking urgency - Hidalgo-Clyne was 2nd best to a spilled ball to one of the Dragons props!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:40 pm

I wish Glasgow would take the other Tools brother.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:45 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think that Tovey may turn out to be an inspired signing for Edinburgh. They really are crying out for a playmaker and he is one that really does have something to prove and the prospect of a contract to play for.

Maybe the light has just gone on in Solly's brain and he ha realised that a team just can't do without one and no matter how many centres you try to convert it just does not work.

I have no idea what to do about the SH though. S H-C was playing rubbish and he still did not hook him, which is no great vote of confidence abut your alternatives on the bench. Unfortunately neither Fowles nor Kennedy have inspired this year either.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:51 pm

cakeordeath wrote:I wish Glasgow would take the other Tools brother.

Me too, and that would be good for everyone concerned.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 4:58 pm

The only positive is we have zebre at home next, albeit with a 5 day turnaround.

I bet we still struggle through and only get the 4th try in the last 10 minutes!

We have a hell of a lot to work on before Munster away.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Mar 2016, 5:03 pm

Well at least two wins should give them some confidence and some momentum. One loss at this stage could end the season, so the longer they go on, the more they have to play for.

From a Glasgow perspective, I would be delighted if they could be competitive against some of the big boys and even more so if they take anything from them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 27 Mar 2016, 5:05 pm

I thought SHC had a decent game apart from his kicking from the tee. Plenty of zip to his passing. Not a great game but decent

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 27 Mar 2016, 5:36 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:Dragons need a decent scrum half he is poor.

Perhaps one of the dumbest comments I've read, certainly up there with the stuff that Lord Dowlais types.

It's not that dumb a comment, Pretorius had a stinker.

We were better second half, but it's hard to know how we could have been worse. There was no control from either half back and we looked like we'd barely practised anything over the rest week, which was meant to have reinvigorated the players. There's no lack of commitment, but there's a serious lack of skill and nous.

I was impressed with how our scrum went, I was expecting them to take us to the cleaners.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Mar 2016, 5:38 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Perhaps one of the dumbest comments I've read, certainly up there with the stuff that Lord Dowlais types.

We were better second half, but it's hard to know how we could have been worse. There was no control from either half back and we looked like we'd barely practised anything over the rest week, which was meant to have reinvigorated the players. There's no lack of commitment, but there's a serious lack of skill and nous.

You could pretty much say the same about Edinburgh as well!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 27 Mar 2016, 5:39 pm

It was a horrible match. At least you have the consolation of having won it! OK

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Mar 2016, 5:39 pm

Congrats Edinburgh! If, that is, you want to be congratulated on that shower?! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 27 Mar 2016, 7:22 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I was impressed with how our scrum went, I was expecting them to take us to the cleaners.

I am not overly keen on Sarel to be honest. His service is pretty poor and I think he gets bigged up by some fans just because he bounces around like zebedee. He also box kicks a bit too much and poorly too.

Fair play to Phil Price v Nel. I was worried.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 7:25 pm

The Scotland front row looked knackered unsurprisingly given how much they've played for Scotland - I don't think Solomons gained much by rushing them back straight after the 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 27 Mar 2016, 7:34 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:The Scotland front row looked knackered unsurprisingly given how much they've played for Scotland - I don't think Solomons gained much by rushing them back straight after the 6N.

Surely he will rest a few against the Italians next week, if not then, then never!

Some of the subs were the only bright spots for Edinburgh. The front row, Bradbury and Dean all did ok when they came on.

When will Solly learn that you need a squad to carry a season!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 27 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm

What do folk think of Watsons performance? IMO recently he has been trying to hard and lost the ball in contact / got isolated too much but was better in this game bar being just short of the try. I think that was excusable tho - he was only an inch short. Opinions?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 7:38 pm

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:The Scotland front row looked knackered unsurprisingly given how much they've played for Scotland - I don't think Solomons gained much by rushing them back straight after the 6N.

Surely he will rest a few against the Italians next week, if not then, then never!

Some of the subs were the only bright spots for Edinburgh. The front row, Bradbury and Dean all did ok when they came on.

When will Solly learn that you need a squad to carry a season!

I'm fairly certain we'll see exactly the same team even though it's a 5 day turnaround.

Bradbury brought so much physicality - he is absolutely ready for regular gametime.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 27 Mar 2016, 8:31 pm

TJ wrote:What do folk think of Watsons performance?  IMO recently he has been trying to hard and lost the ball in contact / got isolated too much but was better in this game bar being just short of the try.  I think that was excusable tho - he was only an inch short.  Opinions?

Watson isn't effective at the breakdown, he should watch more of Scarlets' James Davies, similar build but ruling the breakdown whenever he plays. Watson will impress with some carries which are impressive for someone his size but not much rugby brains. Have a look at players like Hardie and Rennie, much more intelligent rugby players.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 27 Mar 2016, 8:48 pm

With all that sand, I thought I was watching Springwatch.
Would've been better for Cardiff if the Drags had won I spose, but there we are.
Kings said there were positives which is good for Drags fans.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 27 Mar 2016, 8:59 pm

Missed this game. Sounds dire. Still, four points in the bag and next up is Zebre. We're still in the hunt.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2016, 9:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Missed this game. Sounds dire. Still, four points in the bag and next up is Zebre. We're still in the hunt.

It was truly awful - all that is bad about watching Edinburgh lately.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 27 Mar 2016, 9:12 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
TJ wrote:What do folk think of Watsons performance?  IMO recently he has been trying to hard and lost the ball in contact / got isolated too much but was better in this game bar being just short of the try.  I think that was excusable tho - he was only an inch short.  Opinions?

Watson isn't effective at the breakdown, he should watch more of Scarlets' James Davies, similar build but ruling the breakdown whenever he plays. Watson will impress with some carries which are impressive for someone his size but not much rugby brains. Have a look at players like Hardie and Rennie, much more intelligent rugby players.

He got a steal today did he not? I thought that was a strong part of his game. I know what you mean about the rugby brain tho he just seems to try too hard to in the match himself.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 27 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm

Watching it back on S4C and Kingsley again bigging up his boy and talking about him in the same breath as our three Welsh players. Shameless. All hail NGD under 8's

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 28 Mar 2016, 8:11 am

RiscaGame wrote:Watching it back on S4C and Kingsley again bigging up his boy and talking about him in the same breath as our three Welsh players. Shameless. All hail NGD under 8's

Rev,

I guess asking you how we would bring about world peace would be an easier question but what is the answer for the Dragons at the moment?

Surely Lyn has to be on borrowed time and whilst I have always been a Kingsley fan (good Ebbw stock see) he seems to be trotting out the same old excuses these days as what Lyn has been doing. Would KJ be the man to maybe move in to Lyns shoes then bring some other coaches in below him but who?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 28 Mar 2016, 11:14 am

I honestly would get rid of both. They'll never shake the nepotism tag whilst they're there. There's two Gwent Prem teams at the top, with one playing some cracking rugby on the same sandy pitch as the Dragons.

I'm all for Kingsley giving his boy a lift, but he is not and neither will he ever likely be in the same class as Amos and Morgan and definitely not Faletau.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next