The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo

+14
JuliusHMarx
sirfredperry
TRuffin
slashermcguirk
socal1976
Guest82
sportslover
hawkeye
HM Murdock
Belovedluckyboy
bogbrush
Haddie-nuff
Born Slippy
lydian
18 posters

Go down

Whos Gonna slam Dunk?

Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Vote_lcap65%Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Vote_rcap 65% 
[ 11 ]
Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Vote_lcap24%Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 4 ]
Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Vote_lcap11%Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 17

Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Empty Who is more likely to win another slam - Federer, Nadal or Murray?

Post by lydian Wed 17 Feb 2016, 12:36 pm

Its a question to debate...who out of Nadal or Federer or Murray is more likely to win another slam?

Nadal seems stuck in a rut with the game changing around him, he's lost confidence and arguably his tennis mojo...but is still trying to get back.
Federer is playing marvellously well, has less footspeed but is arguably a better player than some years back. He's 34 but playing well enough to win again?
Murray is still young but its been a little while since he won a slam, he's been in finals since but hasn't looked convincing, and Federer has been beating him too.

So, who can do it...what is their best chance of glory again. Rafa at RG, Federer at Wimb, Murray at AO?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Empty Re: Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo

Post by lydian Wed 17 Feb 2016, 12:37 pm

Mods: I cant seem to delete the multi poll options...!!
Every time I try it adds more same name options!
Can you please modify so there's one of each name?

In the meantime, can every one please select the first/top name occurrence of your choice.

I'm going with Murray at AO (unless Rafa radically changes his game....of which there is no current sense of).
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Empty Re: Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo

Post by lydian Wed 17 Feb 2016, 12:41 pm

Mods again...ok, so I selected Murray and its allocated it to the 1st Nadal option.
I give up....
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 17 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm

Lol - I picked Murray but it comes up as Nadal. Murray looked to me to have significantly improved at Oz but seemed to get a bit distracted by off-court events towards the end. Now the baby has arrived, I expect him to kick on further. Murray at Wimbledon for me.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 17 Feb 2016, 12:58 pm

If we can get the poll amended that would be great Smile

Yes, Wimb is a good shout also.

Re: Rafa, I was listening to some ex pros talking about the top 3/4 and they said that apparently in practice Nadal absolutely murders the ball, hits it flat as a pancake but then in a match reverts to adding much more spin. Weird. Also apparently, he also does this in the match warm ups too. This shows he could revert his game to flatter hitting to meet the challenge of today...if he can then I'd say he has a chance of slam glory again. Seems to be a case of the body being willing but the mind not!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 17 Feb 2016, 1:28 pm

I went with Murray. Purely on percentages. I don't think either of them will, but I think Murray at this moment in times has the tools and ABD and he might well have more to his name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 17 Feb 2016, 1:32 pm

Agree Lydian. I watched the first set of Rafa last night (whilst also watching Fritz) and he looked just like the old Rafa. However, it appears the 2nd set still degenerated into a mug-fest. I don't think physically he is much different to a few years back but he seems to have lost his mental edge. Will be interesting (as a non-fan) to see if it comes back.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 17 Feb 2016, 2:18 pm

I agree I watched the first set and thought wow hey Rafa, but then wondered if I was giving more credit to him and or that his opponent was not looking so hot. I never saw the second so unable to comment,
He did not somewhat nervous when he came on court and I am not sure that he is able to maintain full concentration these days.
I think Rafa could win another slam.. but will he Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 17 Feb 2016, 2:24 pm

Murray probably because he has so much time left to do it in.

If the question was who would be the most likely to win one this year, I'd go for Federer assuming the knee is ok - it's only Djokovic who's stopped him winning 2-3 of the last 3.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Wed 17 Feb 2016, 2:26 pm

I feel Rafa is confused. He wishes to hit flat shots but he's not going to give up his topspin shots on clay, probably still thinking that topspin works on clay even though he's not as physically strong or as quick as before and so he ends up hitting short balls.

He did hit flatter shots at Abu Dhabi and generally hitting flatter on the HCs. I really feel that as he grows older, he should hit his shots flatter even on clay and so plays the same game on every surface, not unlike Novak or Fed.

I have this feeling that if Rafa sticks to his old clay court game, ie topspin shots and playing from way behind the baseline, he's not going to win on clay anymore, I mean the big titles.

In the past he played a bit differently on each surface, varying his position behind the baseline and his rallying. I think going forward, he should play close to the baseline on all surfaces and hits flat and hard and plays the same way on all surfaces. I do think his level on HC = his on clay now, but he's not going to beat Novak on the HCs so he's not going to win many titles.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 17 Feb 2016, 3:02 pm

To give a purely statistical answer: Murray. He probably has more chances than the other two on account of being younger and having plausible prospects at all 4 slams (Fed at RG and Rafa at Wimbledon seem unlikely to me).

If the question were taken to mean "who is currently closest to slam-winning level?" then there's a good argument for Federer. F/F/SF in the last 3 slams, losing only to the top seed but dispatching most other opponents pretty comfortably.

I think the next slam to be won by one of that group will be Wimbledon this year.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Feb 2016, 4:11 pm

Mmmm. Maybe Federer? If Nadal gets back in form and wins one he will likely win more than one and the question is who will win one (I think?). Murray young? Well 11 months younger than Rafa who is considered old Wink Just don't see it with Murray unless he can avoid Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka and of course Djokovic. Read somewhere that he is 2-22 against these players in the last 3 years with most of his losses being crushings. Of course they can all lose to other players too but at the later stages will likely have to beat at least a couple of the trickiest players.

To be honest it's my heart saying that Federer may win another slam and not my head. He really is getting old for 5 set matches and unlike others who are optimistic about his recent knee surgery I am more concerned. How ironic if it were Federer who was forced out of the game with knee problems and not Nadal Crying or Very sad

IMO the odds are against both Federer or Murray winning another slam. If they were going to win another they would have won one when they were a little younger.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 17 Feb 2016, 5:27 pm

The HE says" Read somewhere that he is 2-22 against these players in the last 3 years with most of his losses being crushings."

Laugh Considering he leads Stan 8 - 7 H2H Has taken two Slams from Novak and Crushed Rafa last year in his home Masters in Madrid, maths is not a strong point with her (along with a few other things!)

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Wed 17 Feb 2016, 5:47 pm

I've voted for Murray.  Think he is most likely just because if Djokovic falls away, in say a years time, then I think he is best placed to take advantage.

Federer is probably currently the 2nd best player in the world and it has taken Djokovic to stop him at the last three slams.  But I think he needs someone else to take Djokovic out.

I actually think Murray will win Wimbledon this year.

I did vote Murray in the poll, but it hasn't worked.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 17 Feb 2016, 5:54 pm

I also voted for Murray and it didn't record it funny poll. Murray is going to win a slam again I think he will probably win more than 1. I look for Murray to get into the 4-5 slam range. He is a level behind Novak and the same age so he has never been able to get a run of dominance at the top as he just isn't quite as good as Novak although he is good enough to push him real hard and to beat him if he gets hot or Novak gets a little cold.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Feb 2016, 6:05 pm

sportslover wrote:The HE says" Read somewhere that he is 2-22 against these players in the last 3 years with most of his losses being crushings."

Laugh Considering he leads Stan 8 - 7 H2H Has taken two Slams from Novak and Crushed Rafa last year in his home Masters in Madrid, maths is not a strong point with her (along with a few other things!)

I took the stat from another tennis site where it was being discussed so I can't take credit for the maths. The two wins are Novak in Cincinnati and Rafa in Madrid last year. Murray last beat Stan in Tokyo in 2012 and has lost to him 3 times since then including the US Open without taking even one set.  He's lost 5 times to Fed since the AO in 2013 taking just one set back at the AO in 2014. The last time he beat Nadal (apart from the Madrid win last year) was in Tokyo in 2011 (but he did lose to him at RG, Wimbledon and US Open that year). Nadal beat him in straight sets the last time they played. He has lost to Djokovic 10 times since Wimbledon 2013 with his one win coming at Cincinnati last year.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 17 Feb 2016, 6:19 pm

Agree with social - Andy I think/hope will be good for another couple, as for Roger doubtful and Rafa apart from RG as a possibility and with Novak around I can't see him doing much unless he has a reversal in form,which may or may not happen.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 17 Feb 2016, 7:04 pm

Murray has a good chance of adding more slams, no doubt about it, he is the same age as djokovic. I have a feeling federer will win one final major, I am not so sure about nadal. Mentally he is not as strong anymore and that is crucial for success, that being said if anybody can turn it around it's him as he is such a hard worker.

Murray has a great chance at Wimbledon and he will always be in contention at the Australian and us opens.

You have to feel as federer gets older, he needs to win one soon, it will only get harder and he may need somebody to take Novak out.

Meanwhile who is to say wawrinka doesn't get on a roll again and sneak another. It would be so strange if he ended up with more slams than Murray, not an impossible reality but unlikely

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Wed 17 Feb 2016, 10:00 pm

Its hard to know how Fed will be after the knee. We saw what loss of confidence in his movement did to him during the back problem 2013. Before the knee- I think he really was focusing on a push for this Wimbledon. He's prob a contender there, if healthy, for at least a couple more years.

Overall though- I think Murray is positioned to be the guy to win one- if/when Djoko doesn't.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:36 am

I wonder who, at the end of 2013, would have thought these three players combined would win only one of the next nine slams?

That's why all this talk about Djokovic catching Federer, or even Nadal, is so premature. Things can change pretty quickly.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:58 am

Have plumped for Murray - although it aint registering. You'd fancy Fed only if someone else knocked Djoko out. Still not without hope of Rafa winning another French but am not so sure now.
With Murray you can envisage him winning another slam even if takes another two to three years. Can't really say the same about Rafa or Fed.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 18 Feb 2016, 9:36 am

HM Murdock wrote:I wonder who, at the end of 2013, would have thought these three players combined would win only one of the next nine slams?

That's why all this talk about Djokovic catching Federer, or even Nadal, is so premature. Things can change pretty quickly.

At the moment it seems, we are  backing a one horse race, there is little chance of anyone else winning a GS at the moment.
However agreeing with HMM I have repeatedly said on this forum that GS's are notoriously unpredictable. We are hoping and relying on the fact that all the obvious  contenders are fit and healthy. Look what happened when Stan beat Novak.. no one was expecting that, or when Rafa lost to Soderling. There is such a thing as a bad day at the office.. and Im hoping that someone will come from the back of the pack and surprise us all. Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 18 Feb 2016, 9:38 am

I don't think poll options can be amended, even by admins - sorry.
If you start another thread with just 3 options I could probably move all the posts from here into the new one. Voting would have to start again though.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo Empty Who Is more Likely To Win Another Slam? Federer Murray Or Nadal? Electric Boogaloo

Post by temporary21 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:16 pm

Its a question to debate...who out of Nadal or Federer or Murray is more likely to win another slam?

Nadal seems stuck in a rut with the game changing around him, he's lost confidence and arguably his tennis mojo...but is still trying to get back.
Federer is playing marvellously well, has less footspeed but is arguably a better player than some years back. He's 34 but playing well enough to win again?
Murray is still young but its been a little while since he won a slam, he's been in finals since but hasn't looked convincing, and Federer has been beating him too.

So, who can do it...what is their best chance of glory again. Rafa at RG, Federer at Wimb, Murray at AO?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:17 pm

Got it working I think...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:18 pm

It won't let me select Electric Boogaloo Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:21 pm

Stupid Merge Topic Option... Think its held up...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:39 pm

Ok its attributing me to some other peoples comments... which is really weird...
would someone vote on the poll and make a comment of it to see if its all ok?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm

None

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 18 Feb 2016, 4:07 pm

Thanks Temp Smile
I chose Murray and that worked I think so all good...
That said, even though Murray has time on his side I worry for his future if he starts to lose some speed from his back issues, and lugging that large 6'3' frame around at the speed he does must surely take a hit soon...given his defensive game if he loses half a yard then its going to be a lot tougher for him because he's nowhere near the best ball striker on tour...probably not even top 15 IMO.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 4:50 pm

I chose Murray, based on age and his general form over the last year. However I'm not hugely confident in that as he's not as strong mentally as he was under Lendl and consequently has lost a lot of the big points in big matches against his main rivals. Like pre-Lendl days.

It's not his tennis. We've seen him match Novak for long spells, only to dip when it matters. He didn't do that against his main rivals 2012-13. I think Roger has a good chance at Wimbledon. Both him and Andy do actually. That's the one slam I really don't think Novak will take this year.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 18 Feb 2016, 4:54 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:I chose Murray, based on age and his general form over the last year. However I'm not hugely confident in that as he's not as strong mentally as he was under Lendl and consequently has lost a lot of the big points in big matches against his main rivals. Like pre-Lendl days.

It's not his tennis. We've seen him match Novak for long spells, only to dip when it matters. He didn't do that against his main rivals 2012-13. I think Roger has a good chance at Wimbledon. Both him and Andy do actually. That's the one slam I really don't think Novak will take this year.

This absolutely hits the nail on the head with regards to Murray. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:47 pm

Rafa has shown bouncebackability in the past and with the FO around the corner I have to lean to him. If you were asking me after the clay season though I'd go Murray.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:48 pm

Hm. Based on the historical accuracy of 606 poster predictions, Murray is in big trouble.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down