The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martyn Phillips Welsh rugby Q&A: I'm happy to publish Gatland's law and how we plan to increase regional attendances

+3
GavinDragon
ScarletSpiderman
LordDowlais
7 posters

Go down

Martyn Phillips Welsh rugby Q&A: I'm happy to publish Gatland's law and how we plan to increase regional attendances Empty Martyn Phillips Welsh rugby Q&A: I'm happy to publish Gatland's law and how we plan to increase regional attendances

Post by LordDowlais Thu 14 Jan 2016, 2:49 pm

Interesting read here, Martyn Phillips the chief executive of the WRU doesn't half get himself in a muddle with these sort of interviews, I especially liked this bit:-

Q: Would you accept there remains a lack a clarity about Gatland’s Law as far as the public are concerned, both in terms of what it means and which players are captured?

A: We are not talking about it now because we are genuinely all focusing on the Six Nations. We are working hard to finish Europe off well and then have a good championship. wrote:

What kind of answer is that ?

Anyway have a read, there are some very intriguing Q&A's in there :-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/martyn-phillips-welsh-rugby-qa-10730323

I know it's WOL but the interview is worth reading.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Martyn Phillips Welsh rugby Q&A: I'm happy to publish Gatland's law and how we plan to increase regional attendances Empty Re: Martyn Phillips Welsh rugby Q&A: I'm happy to publish Gatland's law and how we plan to increase regional attendances

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 14 Jan 2016, 3:20 pm

Q: Last weekend, there was a newspaper report about a potential problem over the availability of some exiled players for the tour of New Zealand because of Gatland’s Law. Can you just clarify the situation?

A: I am not aware of any issue. I have been with a couple of the regional chief executives this week and with Mark Davies (PRW chief executive) and we have talked about it and none of us are aware of it. It is a non story.

or the other one I liked was

"I am finding it tricky myself. It needs proper attention, but I would have no issue in publishing it at a point in time."

So hopefully that means over the summer we will see it published (on a slow rugby news day) so we can all argue the toss about it.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Martyn Phillips Welsh rugby Q&A: I'm happy to publish Gatland's law and how we plan to increase regional attendances Empty Re: Martyn Phillips Welsh rugby Q&A: I'm happy to publish Gatland's law and how we plan to increase regional attendances

Post by GavinDragon Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:13 pm

I found this more interesting:-

"We have clearly got plenty of choices in terms of where we could play things. There are people actually queuing up to stage games in some instances. We have just got to find the right game to go there."

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:17 pm

GavinDragon wrote:I found this more interesting:-

"We have clearly got plenty of choices in terms of where we could play things. There are people actually queuing up to stage games in some instances. We have just got to find the right game to go there."

Ha yes, he is praising the atmosphere at Rodney Parade, then he is saying we should move games to create a better atmosphere. Quite the muddle.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:21 pm

Well I don't know what he means. Is he referring to regional games? Is he suggesting the odd game could go around the regions?

It could happen at the Ospreys. Brewery field is good enough for smaller fixtures. Not sure there is anothr ground in Scarlets region capable?

EXP could def host a game or two, but whether the Dragons board could afford the hit I don't know?

And the Blues? Could they go to Merthyr when that ground is up to scratch?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:23 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
And the Blues? Could they go to Merthyr when that ground is up to scratch?

Cardiff Blues have scrapped any affiliation with any teams outside of Cardiff, so going to Merthyr would not be playing a game in THEIR region.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 14 Jan 2016, 4:28 pm

Ah well. I just found it interesting that the CEO of the WRU made a comment to that effect?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 14 Jan 2016, 5:16 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

Ha yes, he is praising the atmosphere at Rodney Parade, then he is saying we should move games to create a better atmosphere. Quite the muddle.

I read that as moving the Ospreys away from the Library for lesser attended games, to get a more packed venue with more atmosphere like Dave Parade.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 14 Jan 2016, 5:43 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Cardiff Blues have scrapped any affiliation with any teams outside of Cardiff

When was this? Can you post a link?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:38 pm

People actually queuing up to watch games, not so much
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Jan 2016, 9:40 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Cardiff Blues have scrapped any affiliation with any teams outside of Cardiff

When was this? Can you post a link?

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk/editorials/what-who-is-cardiff-the-blues-cardiff-blues-blues/

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 15 Jan 2016, 9:45 am

Is that a fan view or the official view?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Jan 2016, 9:52 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Is that a fan view or the official view?

Read this from Richard Holland then:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-stop-providing-players-10432970

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 15 Jan 2016, 9:56 am

Ta. So cutting funding to everyone because they can't afford it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:01 am

LordDowlais wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Is that a fan view or the official view?

Read this from Richard Holland then:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-stop-providing-players-10432970

That still doesn't mean they've 'scrapped any affiliation with any teams outside of Cardiff'.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:07 am

Cardiff Blues paid to be stand alone from the outset, they had Pontypridd and the rest of the North Glamorgan valleys dumped on them, their saying not mine, when Warriors went bust, Cardiff Blues have now reverted back to what they were from the start of this shambolic state we find ourselves in.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:09 am

A club representing Cardiff only and not welcoming to other new fans who it was anticipated would be welcomed?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:24 am

LordDowlais wrote:Cardiff Blues paid to be stand alone from the outset, they had Pontypridd and the rest of the North Glamorgan valleys dumped on them, their saying not mine, when Warriors went bust, Cardiff Blues have now reverted back to what they were from the start of this shambolic state we find ourselves in.

They haven't done what you claimed they've done.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:26 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Cardiff Blues paid to be stand alone from the outset, they had Pontypridd and the rest of the North Glamorgan valleys dumped on them, their saying not mine, when Warriors went bust, Cardiff Blues have now reverted back to what they were from the start of this shambolic state we find ourselves in.

They haven't done what you claimed they've done.

Yes they have. They are looking after Cardiff Blues now, and that is it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:26 am

No, they haven't.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:29 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:No, they haven't.

OK, you must be going down there every other week and hearing different news to me.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:31 am

Post a link to the press release where they 'scrapped any affiliation with any teams outside of Cardiff'.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:40 am

The Blues said they are not going to be paying for players to just park them up in feeder clubs until they are needed, and from next season on they will have a smaller squad of players, and if needed play prem players on a permit system.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:42 am

So do Cardiff see themselves as a Cardiff club with a bit of a 'you're not welcome if you're not from here' view to fans etc?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 15 Jan 2016, 10:51 am

Reckon LD's abacus is on the blink again.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 19 Jan 2016, 7:03 pm

Gatland's Law; wtf is it if indeed it exists?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down