The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quigg v Frampton - Are people reading too much into their last fights ???

+9
Coxy001
Mr Bounce
Nico the gman
Herman Jaeger
TopHat24/7
Jermaine2015
AdamT
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Quigg v Frampton - Are people reading too much into their last fights ??? Empty Quigg v Frampton - Are people reading too much into their last fights ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:11 pm

I want Quigg to win.... but I think Frampton will get a decision.............I think until both's last outings 90% agreed with me whether by points or stoppage.....

The latest fight by each however and now the consensus is split and I don't know why ???

Everybody chucked Cunningham at Fury (I was one of the few in fairness that gave him a chance, picked Wlad though) and that was a red herring.....

Frampton had a bad fight and got caught cold......However fighters have bad nights and he was fighting a guy he should have beaten easily and he was no doubt out to impress the US media and public !!...Against Quigg a simple win will suffice......

When the danger signs aren't there fighters do get careless....Look at Lennox !!.....I don't read too much into that fight....Frampton will be motivated, hungry and focused against Quigg....He also seems genuinely p**sed off..

As for Quigg many thought he was overrated before Martinez.......A guy that Frampton beat twice before and who was giving a good account of himself before he got caught by Quigg who carries power.....

Make no mistake though this kid can fight !!.....Just that the praise post Martinez is over the top.....Martinez was sloppy thirds.

I picked Saunders to beat Lee because I'm loathe to pick a guy with a puncher's chance......Quigg has more than a punchers chance he'll test Frampton's heart and fuel tank but I think his best chance is to land something...

I always go with the better boxer and that's Carl.....

I believe people are reading too much into their last fights !!!!

Hope I'm wrong though ...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Quigg v Frampton - Are people reading too much into their last fights ??? Empty Re: Quigg v Frampton - Are people reading too much into their last fights ???

Post by hazharrison Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:13 pm

Yep.

The only thing I've noticed is that Quigg - a simple fellow without being too unkind - has had his confidence boosted by the Martinez win. That may be misplaced (we shall see) but it's genuine and it makes him a more difficult man to dissuade.

Frampton for me - but he may be the one who has to overcome a few wobbles along the way.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Quigg v Frampton - Are people reading too much into their last fights ??? Empty Re: Quigg v Frampton - Are people reading too much into their last fights ???

Post by AdamT Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:17 pm

I hope you're right Very Happy

To be fair I think Quigg is a good guy. Obviously I want Carl to win, but if anybody is to beat him, I would like it to be Quigg. If these guys boxed in different divisions, I would be a huge Quigg fan.

He is the ultimate professional and lives the life the way every boxer should. I guess Carl does as well. Both guys are good ambassadors for the sport and I hope after the fight no matter the result, both will continue to do good things. 

I still think Carl wins, but no way would I put any substantial amount of money on it.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:31 pm

Everyone goes on about Frampton getting dropped it means nothing unless he was KO'd. Frampton won every other round and routed his opponent.

People seem to forget Quigg had fits against a third rate Cuban Salinas(forget Rigondeaux, Salinas couldn't wipe his ass). Quigg was lucky to scrape a draw against a slick Cuban who only threw a jab.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:37 pm

Carl was dropped, twice, by a guy that no known power in his fists. And it wasn't like a first round fluke blitz that Carl waltzed through thereafter. If the oppo hadn't gone all Golota on him the cards would've been a lot closer.

I still fancy Carl for this, better all round boxer and with very good power himself, but Quigg is big at the weight and could/should try bully him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:37 pm

Also - think Donaire would be an interesting test for either right now. Possibly the winner.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:38 pm

Also, remember Quigg was dropped by the even less impressive puncher - Jamie Arthur.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:43 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:Everyone goes on about Frampton getting dropped it means nothing unless he was KO'd. Frampton won every other round and routed his opponent.

People seem to forget Quigg had fits against a third rate Cuban Salinas(forget Rigondeaux, Salinas couldn't wipe his ass). Quigg was lucky to scrape a draw against a slick Cuban who only threw a jab.

I give Quigg a bit of a break over Salinas ..Shocking game plan by Gallagher almost as bad as the guy who devised Bellew's v Stevo..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:54 pm

I think Quigg has a great shot to upset Frampton. Great fight real 50/50. Salinas was very slick but was eventually worn down by Quigg. Though it was very tight.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 3:57 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:I think Quigg has a great shot to upset Frampton. Great fight real 50/50. Salinas was very slick but was eventually worn down by Quigg. Though it was very tight.
Salinas was so slick in that in his next fight against a journeyman he got KTFO? Quigg's so called power was invisible in the Salinas fight.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 13 Jan 2016, 4:00 pm

Can't judge these guys in one bad fight. Even great fighters have an off night.

The fight is close to 50/50. Some will back Carl and others Quigg. They both have different styles and it is a pickem really.

I doubt anybody on this forum would be confident to put huge money on for either man.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Jan 2016, 4:04 pm

I think Jermaine, that Salinas was a little sickened by the accumulation of accurate shots by Quigg by the end of their fight. Quigg may have done some permanent damage. But Salinas certainly quite slick for the first two thirds of that fight.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Jan 2016, 4:07 pm

You've hit the nail on the head there Adam, I don't think anyone in their right mind would confidently put down a huge bet in this fight.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 4:07 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:I think Quigg has a great shot to upset Frampton. Great fight real 50/50. Salinas was very slick but was eventually worn down by Quigg. Though it was very tight.
Salinas was so slick in that in his next fight against a journeyman he got KTFO? Quigg's so called power was invisible in the Salinas fight.

He gave the first few rounds away...............The plan was to come on strong.............

As with Bellew v Stevo....It's folly to let a guy get a foot hold in a fight........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 13 Jan 2016, 4:44 pm

Lets be fair apart from the 1st round, Frampton dominated the fight against Gonzalez, didn't exactly keep his title with a close points win, pretty straightforward comprehensive UD.

The 1st knockdown was more off balance, caught by no more than a jab like shot, Frampton looked more embarrassed than hurt, the 2nd knockdown no complaints got caught decent punch.

If you read some of the posts on here, anyone would think Frampton had been in a close 12round war, and had just managed to hold on to his title,the US commentary team thought it was a decent Frampton performance.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 13 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm

I see this fight going one of three ways:

1. Frampton outboxes Quigg all night to an easy decision.

2. Quigg is a few rounds down and lands a hail Mary punch that puts Carl down and out.

3. It's 100% pure vicious anger from the first bell and someone gets KTFO.

I can't pick this one. But I can't see Quigg outboxing Frampton. If Scott wins it's gonna be by KO.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 4:58 pm

Nico the gman wrote:Lets be fair apart from the 1st round, Frampton dominated the fight against Gonzalez, didn't exactly keep his title with a close points win, pretty straightforward comprehensive UD.

The 1st knockdown was more off balance, caught by no more than a jab like shot, Frampton looked more embarrassed than hurt, the 2nd knockdown no complaints got caught decent punch.

If you read some of the posts on here, anyone would think Frampton had been in a close 12round war, and had just managed to hold on to his title,the US commentary team thought it was a decent Frampton performance.

Don't remember it anything like you. Maybe I should watch again. 8 rounds to 4 and scores would have been closer without the low blows.

Not trenchwarfare, but not the stroll in the park some are making out.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 13 Jan 2016, 5:15 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:Lets be fair apart from the 1st round, Frampton dominated the fight against Gonzalez, didn't exactly keep his title with a close points win, pretty straightforward comprehensive UD.

Don't remember it anything like you.  Maybe I should watch again.  8 rounds to 4 and scores would have been closer without the low blows.

Not trenchwarfare, but not the stroll in the park some are making out.
The 2 rounds Gonzalez had the points deducted for low blows Round 3 and 11, he had lost without the points deduction, 115-108, 116-109 twice, not a stroll in the park but pretty comprehensive win IMO.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 5:36 pm

He labored with a "bantamweight" who lost his next fight to someone who can't hack it at Euro level....

However he no doubt took him lightly and probably was trying to hard to please..

But he struggled at times..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 13 Jan 2016, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 6:24 pm

For me it's a fairly straight forward call: Frampton by pts or Quigg by stoppage.

Will Quigg goad him in to his sort of fight? Will Frampton let his chip on his shoulder and his woefully under experienced trainer restrain him from not boxing and rather getting ragged?

For me I'm hoping Quigg flattens Frampton as I can't stand his 'manager' who seemed more intent on reliving his own career by getting him low paid fights on ITV than negotiating this massive £££££ PPV!

Dripping with excitement on this one.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 13 Jan 2016, 6:31 pm

Coxy001 wrote:For me it's a fairly straight forward call: Frampton by pts or Quigg by stoppage.

Will Quigg goad him in to his sort of fight? Will Frampton let his chip on his shoulder and his woefully under experienced trainer restrain him from not boxing and rather getting ragged?

For me I'm hoping Quigg flattens Frampton as I can't stand his 'manager' who seemed more intent on reliving his own career by getting him low paid fights on ITV than negotiating this massive £££££ PPV!

I've seen a few people hoping for a Quigg win due to a dislike of Barry Mac. I absolutely love McGuigan and cannot stand Gallagher and Hearn. Gallagher is particularly odious.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 13 Jan 2016, 6:36 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:

That would be more down to Quigg not landing cleanly once in that fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Jan 2016, 7:18 pm

Was starting to land shots round the back of Slinas' guard in last third of fight.

Just look at Salinas' face at the end. He knew he'd been in a fight.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 7:37 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:For me it's a fairly straight forward call: Frampton by pts or Quigg by stoppage.

I've seen a few people hoping for a Quigg win due to a dislike of Barry Mac. I absolutely love McGuigan and cannot stand Gallagher and Hearn. Gallagher is particularly odious.

That'll be me.......I think Barry's an a-hole.......Also I like Quigg....Seems like a genuinely nice kid..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Wed 13 Jan 2016, 9:03 pm

Ok so I get that it's easy to say Quigg by KO or.Frampton with points, but is a Frampton Ko/TKO really a shock

Like don't get me wrong, Quigg seems to have a decent set of whiskers and if the bigger man, but he's not exactly George Chicago. Arthur had him down and hurt and people.forget that Quigg seemed to be shaken up in the first round against Martin he looked far from comfortable in there. He's also been dropped earlier in his career.

Frampton is a boxer first and foremost, but carries some pop in his shots and has shown his power lasts as well

I think I'm the opposite to everyone on how I see this, as I used to think quigg takes it because he's too big but the last 2 years I've changed my mind to Frampton

Personally dont think he's chinny and quigg will have to eat a lot of shots to accumulated enough damage to KO Carl
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 13 Jan 2016, 9:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He labored with a "bantamweight" who lost his next fight to someone who can't hack it at Euro level....

However he no doubt took him lightly and probably was trying to hard to please..

At no time after the 1st round did Frampton look like he was going to struggle to hold on to his title, comfortable win for me.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 13 Jan 2016, 9:16 pm

hazharrison wrote:

With you on this one Haz, McGuigan well liked outside the ring, and an ex boxer who's fought the cause for injured boxers who's careers have ended prematurely, decent bloke who does that.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:39 pm

Decent bloke Barry, can't understand the hate at all.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:39 pm

Mind you, Truss is Adonis Stevenson's biggest fan on here...

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:40 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Decent bloke Barry, can't understand the hate at all.

Dear oh dear....Nobody hates Barry.......

Go to bed...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:41 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Mind you, Truss is Adonis Stevenson's biggest fan on here...

Glad you told me.... Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

In fairness to Barry he's not a homophobic little bigot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:44 pm

You've got gayness on the brain Truss.

Give it a rest..

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:45 pm

Nico the gman wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He labored with a "bantamweight" who lost his next fight to someone who can't hack it at Euro level....

At no time after the 1st round did Frampton look like he was going to struggle to hold on to his title, comfortable win for me.

Thought he should have beaten him easier......But like I said he probably took him easy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:46 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:You've got gayness on the brain Truss.

Give it a rest..

Yep...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:48 pm

What a miserable git you are sometimes Truss.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 13 Jan 2016, 10:55 pm

Baby faced assassin wrote:Ok so I get that it's easy to say Quigg by KO or.Frampton with points, but is a Frampton Ko/TKO really a shock

Like don't get me wrong, Quigg seems to have a decent set of whiskers and if the bigger man, but he's not exactly George Chicago.  Arthur had him down and hurt and people.forget that Quigg seemed to be shaken up in the first round against Martin he looked far from comfortable in there. He's also been dropped earlier in his career.

Frampton is a boxer first and foremost, but carries some pop in his shots and has shown his power lasts as well

I think I'm the opposite to everyone on how I see this, as I used to think quigg takes it because he's too big but the last 2 years I've changed my mind to Frampton

Personally dont think he's chinny and quigg will have to eat a lot of shots to accumulated enough damage to KO Carl

Think it's fair to say Quigg has matured from the Arthur fight....I don't think it's relevant just like Frampo's last fight isn't............(People pointed to Fury-Cunningham being relevant....)...

I can envisage Quigg winning but in fights like this I go with the best boxer and that's Frampo...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:32 am

Quigg by late KO although it's a genuine 50/50 fight and hopefully the winner will go on to face Rigo but i'm sure we'll get a litany of excuses too.

I can't stand Bazza either

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:54 am

Nico the gman wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

With you on this one Haz, McGuigan well liked outside the ring, and an ex boxer who's fought the cause for injured boxers who's careers have ended prematurely, decent bloke who does that.

I can't see anything to dislike. He's one of the more genuine blokes around. Contrast that with Team Quigg and the Hearn/Sky/Gallagher love in. I'd love to see Hearn's smile wiped off his face.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:20 am

Too much I expect for English people to back the English..

Then again only Hammer, Wheelie and Derby wanted Murray to beat Golovkin on here...

Good job WW2 happened 75 years ago when people had pride in where they came from..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:23 am

The Irish usually back their own. Unfortunately some get caught up in the politics.

I am glad to say I have many friends from both religious backgrounds and they all support Frampton.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:35 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Too much I expect for English people to back the English..

Then again only Hammer, Wheelie and Derby wanted Murray to beat Golovkin on here...

Good job WW2 happened 75 years ago when people had pride in where they came from..

I'm not English, I'm Geordie.

The English lack patriotism. What does it actually mean to be English these days? Answers on a postcard.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:36 am

hazharrison wrote:

The English lack patriotism. What does it actually mean to be English these days? Answers on a postcard.  

Do you follow football??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:38 am

AdamT wrote:The Irish usually back their own. Unfortunately some get caught up in the politics.

I am glad to say I have many friends from both religious backgrounds and they all support Frampton.

Frampton's a uniting force then? Like McGuigan before him.

Big fan of Frampton. His fights generate such an amazing atmosphere he's an asset to the sport. I'm praying he fights in Belfast again so I can get over for another one.

Last edited by hazharrison on Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:40 am

AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Do you follow football??

Yep, but I rarely watch England. Grew up with Beardsley, Gazza, Lineker, Waddle and Butcher - blokes you could get behind.

The modern lot are all jerk-offs. How could you cheer for Terry, Rooney, Cole (when he played) etc.?

England spend years beating minnows in qualifying and then don't turn up for tournaments. Players don't care anymore, so how can fans?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:41 am

Yes he really is. I know for a fact he has united support. Yes Haz I hope to get to his next fight in Belfast. I have been to most and the atmosphere is electric.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:44 am

hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Do you follow football??

Yep, but I rarely watch England. Grew up with Beardsley, Gazza, Lineker, Waddle and Butcher - blokes you could get behind.

The modern lot are all jerk-offs. How could you cheer for Terry, Rooney, Cole (when he played) etc.?

England spend years beating minnows in qualifying and then don't turn up for tournaments. Players don't care anymore, so how can fans?

I remember growing up when England had the likes of Shearer and Sheringham breaking through. Still had Stuart Pearce, Tony adams and others. Football isn't the same now. I obviously never supported England, but loved to watch them, because I knew and followed all their star players. Now I couldn't give a sh1t.

The game isn't the same now. The premiership is competitive, but it lacks the stars and characters now.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:51 am

I remember watching the 1990 world cup match between Germany and England in a pub in scotland with my beloved.......

Never seen a collective orgasm as loud as when Germany scored....Went very quiet when England equalised.....

Never been so happy not to have had an English accent...

Gascoigne what a player he was..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:52 am

I've never understood the barry hate. I quite like him. Quigg seems a decent lad but i can't warm to gallagher.

I think Frampton is simply a better fighter. Quigg landed a game changing punch on the same night frampton went 'all tyson' to try and impress the US fans. He'll give quigg more respect and gradually break him down to win on points or late stoppage.

Clearly the last fights give it more of a sense of excitement. We know Frampton can be put over and that quigg can do it if he gets careless. But it's frampton's to lose for me.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:57 am

milkyboy wrote:I've never understood the barry hate. I quite like him. Quigg seems a decent lad but i can't warm to gallagher.

I think Frampton is simply a better fighter. Quigg landed a game changing punch on the same night frampton went 'all tyson' to try and impress the US fans. He'll give quigg more respect and gradually break him down to win on points or late stoppage.

Clearly the last fights give it more of a sense of excitement. We know Frampton can be put over and that quigg can do it if he gets careless. But it's frampton's to lose for me.

Don't hate anybody apart from my Father-in-law..............Just find old Barry to be very arrogant and smug......Years of him talking over Nelson and Mccrory.....

Don't like midgets either..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:58 am

Gascoigne, such a waste of talent.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next