The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January

+31
Nematode
alive555
Welly
bsando
No 7&1/2
Don Alfonso
GLove39
nathan
A Simply Mesmeric Try
cakeordeath
doctor_grey
IanBru
emontagu
highland_scot
lostinwales
LondonTiger
madmaccas
TheMildlyFranticLlama
jimbopip
BigGee
RDW
formerly known as Sam
funnyExiledScot
Scottrf
WELL-PAST-IT
VinceWLB
des
Hazel Sapling
sensisball
Tattie Scones RRN
George Carlin
35 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January - Page 3 Empty Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January

Post by George Carlin Wed 13 Jan 2016, 7:20 am

First topic message reminder :

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January - Page 3 Saints10                    Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January - Page 3 Glasgo10
Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors 
Sunday 17 January 2016
KO 17:30
Franklin's Gardens, Northampton

Live on BT Sport

Referee Romain Poite (France)
Touch Judge 1 Cyril Lafon (France)
Touch Judge 2 Stephane Boyer (France)
Fourth Official Philippe Bonhoure (France)
TMO Philippe Bonhoure (France)
Assessor Gary Welsh (England)
Citing Commissioner Jeff Mark (Wales)

A. Head to Head

7 Played 7
5 Wins 2
2 Losses 5
0 Draws 0
173 Points 129

B. Tournament Form

Northampton Saints
18/12/15: Saints 9 - 9 Racing 92
12/12/15: Racing 92 33 - 3 Saints
21/11/15: Glasgow 15 - 26 Saints

Glasgow Warriors
9/1/16: Racing 92 34 - 10 Glasgow
19/12/15: Scarlets 6 - 9 Glasgow
12/12/15: Glasgow 43 - 6 Scarlets

C. Teams

Northampton Saints
Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January - Page 3 Louise10
15 Ben Foden
14 Tom Collins
13 George Pisi
12 Luther Burrell
11 George North
10 JJ Hanrahan
9 Lee Dickson (capt)

1 Alex Waller
2 Dylan Hartley
3 Paul Hill
4 Courtney Lawes
5 Christian Day
6 Jamie Gibson
7 Tom Wood
8 Teimana Harrison

16 Mikey Haywood
17 Ethan Waller
18 Gareth Denman
19 Michael Paterson
20 Jonathan Fisher
21 Tom Kessell
22 Steve Myler
23 Harry Mallinder

Glasgow Warriors
Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January - Page 3 Marian10
15 Stuart Hogg
14 Lee Jones
13 Alex Dunbar
12 Samuel Johnson
11 Sean Lamont
10 Finn Russell
9 Ali Price

1 Gordon Reid
2 Pat MacArthur
3 Sila Puafisi
4 Leone Nakarawa
5 Jonny Gray (capt)
6 Ryan Wilson
7 Chris Fusaro
8 Adam Ashe

16 Shalva Mamukashvili
17 Alex Allan
18 Zander Fagerson
19 Tim Swinson
20 Simone Favaro
21 Grayson Hart
22 Duncan Weir
23 Taqele Naiyaravoro

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January - Page 3 Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:26 pm

I wish I could say lets drop Swinson for a few games in favour of Peterson and Cummings, but that would probably mean he is in the 6 nations squad.

Should be put through the Oklahoma drill with Naiyaravoro and Gordy Reid tomorrow.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January - Page 3 Empty Re: Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:29 pm

Just looked at Mallinder Jnr's stats, 6'5" and 17 stone, positively Northesqe
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:33 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Never rated Swinson never will, remember when he cost Scotland the win against France a couple of years ago?

Don't remember that?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:37 pm

GLove39 wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Never rated Swinson never will, remember when he cost Scotland the win against France a couple of years ago?

Don't remember that?

Got penalised at the death to give France the win.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:42 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
GLove39 wrote:

Don't remember that?

Ahhh yes, that's just come flooding back, 2014 yeah?
Still think that one rests solely on Weir's shoulders

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:51 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Just looked at Mallinder Jnr's stats, 6'5" and 17 stone, positively Northesqe

Isn't he technically a fly half?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 17 Jan 2016, 8:10 pm

No, he's a centre who kicks.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 17 Jan 2016, 8:18 pm

By the way it should have been a red for Swinson and i hope he gets a lengthy ban.

When is his contract up? Glasgow should get shot of him and poach one of the Toolis brother instead.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 17 Jan 2016, 8:23 pm

I didn't see the game - What did Swinson do? And how was Russell, Dunbar, and the Aussie centre?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 17 Jan 2016, 8:25 pm

Nematode wrote:I didn't see the game - What did Swinson do? And how was Russell, Dunbar, and the Aussie centre?

Punched a saints player in a maul and left Glasgow in the lurch for the last 6/7 minutes  steam

Dunbar looked decent as did his Aussie counterpart.
Russell was rather hot and cold. Missed easy kick at goal, killed Glasgow's best chance of scoring a try with a poorly weighted chip that ended up in the stands. But on the plus side, tackled well & managed to juggle a great interception that could've resulted in a try had his kick & the chase been better.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Jan 2016, 8:35 pm

Gotta love the BBC and their reporting; they've written an article describing Mallinder's match winning try then list him as an unused sub!

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Sun 17 Jan 2016, 8:39 pm

Nematode wrote:I didn't see the game - What did Swinson do? And how was Russell, Dunbar, and the Aussie centre?
Russell - curates egg.  Dunbar - pretty good considering.  Johnson (?) - looked not bad.  Nothing flashy, but solid.  On that showing surprised we haven't seen more of him.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 17 Jan 2016, 10:11 pm

Quite surprised that it was Swinson to do that.had you said Ryan Wilson....

Real shame that Glasgow can't get sorted in Europe. Our young Scottish players really need that exposure.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambo Sun 17 Jan 2016, 10:21 pm

At least they are improving. Give them a few years and who knows?

Cambo

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 17 Jan 2016, 10:24 pm

GLove39 wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:
GLove39 wrote:

Don't remember that?

Ahhh yes, that's just come flooding back, 2014 yeah?
Still think that one rests solely on Weir's shoulders

Yeah it was Weir dodgy pass that cost Scotland in that game. Butchered a 3 on 1 which instead of leading to another 7 points for Scotland lead to an interception try from Huget. Without this Scotland would have easily won that game. Certainly amongst the worst French team ever.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 18 Jan 2016, 5:29 am

I didn't see the match but it sounds like just as all soapdodgers/soapdodger sympathisers predicted before the game. With a weak tight 5, we have no platform and therefore no momentum and we cannot cut the backs loose to wreak havoc like we did last year without forcing things and making mistakes.

I feel sorry for Glasgow as the World Cup decimated the squad and they were always going to be up against it. That said, there were definite and uncharacteristic mistakes made in recruitment this year.

If we place top 4 in the league it will be a real achievement but at the moment, I really cannot see it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 7:25 am

To be fair GC other than defending rolling mauls (again) the Glasgow pack did pretty well. Young Fagerson had the upper hand in scrums when he came on too.

Just to explicitly spell out what happened, Glasgow got themselves 3 points up with 6 go go and had set up a driving maul on the halfway which was marching forward with gay abandon, eaking out a penalty.

Except Swinson kebab-shopped someone in the maul right in front of the linesman and Saints were given a penalty and Swinson a yellow.

So instead of Glasgow kicking deep into Saints' 22 and (hopefully) keeping them down there, Saints spent the next 6 minutes assaulting Glasgow's line and the dam eventually burst.

Swinson made a very, very bad decision.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 18 Jan 2016, 8:14 am

Scottrf wrote:No, he's a centre who kicks.

About time he was fast tracked in at 12 then, it would give Saints another kicking option as well as some bulk with skill with what looks like genuine pace.

Burrell has only one of those assets and hasn't used it properly for couple of seasons.

Apart from very obvious blunder dropping a high kick when unchallenged (in a strong swirling wind), he played quite well, made inroads down the wing when given the chance.

Bearing in mind he was playing out of position; I would have thought a centre would have been more at home on the wing than fullback, he was comfortable, took two good catches under pressure, kick well when needed and unlike too many Saints players didn't run it back when he may have got isolated.

One thing no side would want playing against them is a kicker with the accuracy of Myler and a winger and centre both at 6' 5" and 17 stone plus competing for the ball chipped up into the corner.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 18 Jan 2016, 8:49 am

I have just watched the highlights of the game again, Swinston will be very lucky if he does not get a further siting, on 69 minutes a ruck forms and he picks up I think Ethan Waller by his legs, up ends him and drives him down head first into the ground. I am not sure if Waller was offside, he was round on the Glasgow side of the ruck, competing for the ball facing towards his own posts, but as he was the tackler he is allowed if the ruck hasn't formed.

I would be interested to hear others views on this one.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 1:36 pm

I haven't seen the incident but in my view this has wider implications for Swinson. Alex Toolis has had a strong season for Edinburgh and Ben Toolis was right up there before injury and is just coming back now. Assuming Grayx2 have the lock spots sewn up in the starting XV, this stupid incident could finish Swinson's international career.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 1:37 pm

How long before the ridiculously premature calls for Harry Mallinder to play for England?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Mon 18 Jan 2016, 1:45 pm

Russell had a shocker. He had to make a simple catch in his 22 and managed to knock it on. That directly lead to the pushover try.

His kicking seemed wayward and his distribution slow and slightly too flat.

Hope he sorts it out for the Calcutta Cup match, otherwise I'd go with Jackson.

As for Swinson, that was ridiculous. Glasgow were thundering down field and should have been trying to get a punch from the opposition, not dolling them out. He's a senior player and should have the wherewithal to know that this would cost them the game and their place in Europe.

Ah well, another year.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 1:47 pm

I think the calls for ending Swinson's international career are a bit harsh (as indeed are some calls on social media to terminate his Glasgow contract!).

Scotland can't be picky with their resources, and as much as I don't think he's an international lock we're only a few injuries away from having to use him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 18 Jan 2016, 2:59 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:How long before the ridiculously premature calls for Harry Mallinder to play for England?
I can do one this evening. I gots nuthin else to do.

He has more hair than dad..............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Jan 2016, 3:07 pm

Hairy Mallinder?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 18 Jan 2016, 3:48 pm

If he didn't look so much like his dad, I would suggest that Mrs. Mallinder had been a naughty girl, he is a giant compared to JM.

Didn't he do the age bit thing for England at schools level anyway, don't think he made the under 20's.

By the end of the season, he may have as many starts as George North had before he was picked for Wales if he continues his development, so he has a milestone to aspire to.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 3:56 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think the calls for ending Swinson's international career are a bit harsh (as indeed are some calls on social media to terminate his Glasgow contract!).

Scotland can't be picky with their resources, and as much as I don't think he's an international lock we're only a few injuries away from having to use him.

Cybernats most likely. Always a reliable source for a hysterical reaction to something.

To be clear I was simply saying that this incident could cost him his Scotland place in the 6 Nations squad, and in my own view once Alex and Ben Toolis are given a chance I don't see Swinson getting back into the reckoning, especially if Gilchrist comes back into fitness. That's 5 locks ahead in the pecking order, before Fraser MacKenzie comes into the reckoning.

Swinson is 29 next month, and whilst that's a fine age for an international lock, the Toolis brothers are 23 and 24 respectively and in my view are already offering more.

I wouldn't "ditch" him at all. He's a vital part of the Glasgow squad and very much a solid option for Scotland. We needn't be too snooty about a punch being thrown. We are the nation that put an international jersey on Jim Hamilton, Nathan Hines, Ryan Wilson and Max Evans. He isn't the first rugby player to throw a stupid punch, and from what I've seen of him it's out of character.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm

That'll be the Toolis twins, one of which is 23 and the other 24 yeah?? Wink

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Jan 2016, 4:14 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Didn't he do the age bit thing for England at schools level anyway, don't think he made the under 20's.

Captained the U18s in 2014, was in last seasons U20s squad - but not sure if he played. will surely be in this seasons U20s squad.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 18 Jan 2016, 4:19 pm

LT as an impartial observer (well close being Tigers) if you have access to the highlights, can you have a look at the clear out in the 69 minute by Swinston. I must be imagining things as I cannot believe that no one else has mentioned what I thought was a very dangerous act
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 4:48 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That'll be the Toolis twins, one of which is 23 and the other 24 yeah?? Wink

It was a very long labour apparently.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Jan 2016, 5:45 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:LT as an impartial observer (well close being Tigers) if you have access to the highlights, can you have a look at the clear out in the 69 minute by Swinston. I must be imagining things as I cannot believe that no one else has mentioned what I thought was a very dangerous act

Cannot find a highlights package, sorry.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 18 Jan 2016, 5:58 pm

Now then.

News just out that Wilson has been cited for grabbing some goolies and Swinson has also been cited.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Jan 2016, 6:19 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Now then.

News just out that Wilson has been cited for grabbing some goolies and Swinson has also been cited.

https://www.606v2.com/t61872-this-weekend-s-citings

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 18 Jan 2016, 6:24 pm

Cheers LT

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 18 Jan 2016, 6:26 pm

Wilson is such a tool. On the bright side this should rule him out of contention for Scotland.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 18 Jan 2016, 6:34 pm

Swinson: second row retaliates and punches hooker SHOCK HORROR!!! Mind you it did effectively cost us the game. I'm just surprised Toonie didn't make him walk back to Scotstoun. I think his ban will be on the low side ; 6 weeks

Batman  Shocked The low side of this ban is twelve weeks, so is that him for the season? Certainly would rule him out of the Six Nations. He is a difficult character to love, and that's being mightily generous.

On the bright side ; Sunday saw young Pipetto's side win a game. Which was a surprise. Young Pipetto played out of his skin, starting at 13 for the first time and scoring his first try of the season the first time he got his hands on the ball (Batman please note the singular "ball"). However, angel need not worry too much.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 18 Jan 2016, 6:42 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:LT as an impartial observer (well close being Tigers) if you have access to the highlights, can you have a look at the clear out in the 69 minute by Swinston. I must be imagining things as I cannot believe that no one else has mentioned what I thought was a very dangerous act

Just watched the match again.  I saw the punch, of course, but what clearout are you referring to?  Was that at the breakdown right before the penalty against Saints?

By the way, I had forgotten that Harry Mallinder was the MOTM. England selection should be right around the corner.........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Jan 2016, 6:45 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
By the way, I had forgotten that Harry Mallinder was the MOTM.  England selection should be right around the corner.........

Heir (or should that be Hair?) apparent to Will Greenwood I say.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 8:13 pm

Have both of these come from the citing commissioner? If so there must be footage of him doing it.

12 week minimum seems high in comparison to some other offences, albeit appreciating as a bloke how nasty it is for another bloke to grab your goolies!

It could be a long one given how he doesn't exactly have a good disciplinary record.

The last thing Glasgow need is Swinson and Batman banned during the 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jan 2016, 8:36 pm

And if you haven't already done so, go to the BBC sport tweet that announced the story. Someone of the responses are brilliant!

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/689152958722928641

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 18 Jan 2016, 8:40 pm

The Scotsman (I think) had an article on it and said it occurred in the 25th minute. If you watch the youtube video of the game, it is as the ball leaves the scrum @ 36:24 on the youtube timer

Lee Dickson's reaction makes me feel Swinson is guilty. Also you can see Wilson has a look.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm

Wilson is a total moron and a very average player. Glasgow will miss him but Scotland will certainly not.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:27 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

finally found it - looks no more than a marginal penalty to me - the sort you feel aggrieved if given against your team.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 18 Jan 2016, 10:13 pm

Swinson is an utter idiot, Cost Glasgow the game. I would be quite happy if he left Glasgow and I don't think he is worth a Scotland shirt anyway

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 18 Jan 2016, 10:22 pm

Wilson and Swinson are incredibly average player and they try too much to make up for it by bringing up an "hard edge".

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:44 pm

Watching Wilson push players after the whistle has gone is frankly embarrassing for all involved. He is so average and yet the likes of Johnson and Cotter have clearly pumped his ego. He's a reserve player at Glasgow. End of.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:54 pm

That's the first time I can recall a flanker having a grab at a scrum half whilst still in a scrum. Dickson seemed to give a little push on Wilson's head as he went by, and he retaliated. I don't think there was much in it, but it is still a dumb thing to do. The one place the tv cameras are focused. Deserves a ban for stupidity in addition to the foul. On the other hand, perhaps Wilson saw something he liked?????

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue 19 Jan 2016, 12:04 am

Here it is in slowmo

Not looking good

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 19 Jan 2016, 12:11 am

LondonTiger wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
By the way, I had forgotten that Harry Mallinder was the MOTM.  England selection should be right around the corner.........

Heir (or should that be Hair?) apparent to Will Greenwood I say.
And young Harry wouldn't have to dye his hair (or maybe just a little).  

Do you think he will captain the next Lions tour?

Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January - Page 3 WillGreenwood2001800SB_rdax_80
Champions Cup Pool 3: Northampton Saints v Glasgow Warriors, 17 January - Page 3 Harry-mallinder-of-northampton-saints-is-tackled-by-alex-dunbar-of-picture-id505395476

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next