The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Fights - Frank Bruno v Tommy Morrison

+4
hazharrison
Atila
ONETWOFOREVER
spencerclarke
8 posters

Go down

Fantasy Fights - Frank Bruno v Tommy Morrison Empty Fantasy Fights - Frank Bruno v Tommy Morrison

Post by spencerclarke Sun 03 Jan 2016, 8:23 pm

Evening all,

These two were around at the same time but never met in the ring. How do you feel it would have gone? No doubt there would have been fireworks.

Cheers.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Fights - Frank Bruno v Tommy Morrison Empty Re: Fantasy Fights - Frank Bruno v Tommy Morrison

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 03 Jan 2016, 9:12 pm

Tommy RIP was a personal fave of mine back in the 90's.

The Morrison bandwagon was strong before it derailed prematurely.

Real banger and more mobile and flexible then big Frank but 1 shot from Bruno would have ended the fight. I think the Dukes famed left hook, one of the best in the game, would cause Bruno problems. Bruno may win on durability because Tommy used to gas early in some fights but I will go with the Duke to stop Bruno eventually after a frustrating fight.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Fights - Frank Bruno v Tommy Morrison Empty Re: Fantasy Fights - Frank Bruno v Tommy Morrison

Post by Atila Mon 04 Jan 2016, 4:28 am

Describing Bruno as durable seems a bit odd, he used to run out of steam after a few rounds too. Worse than running out of steam, he ran out of ideas after a few rounds also. Give him credit though, he was always in the best possible shape he could be in which makes me give him a chance against Morrison but I wouldn't put money on it.

However, if Morrison showed up in shape and was as cautious against Bruno as he was against Foreman, I could just as easily have seen him getting a decision against Bruno.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 04 Jan 2016, 10:33 am

That's a great match. They almost boxed on the same card (in Hong Kong if memory serves me right): Bruno was scheduled to face Ray Mercer.

I'd favour Big Frank here. He'd have smashed Morrison up with his jab and if he could avoid a big left hook, I'd fancy for him to grind Morrison down after half-way.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 04 Jan 2016, 7:25 pm

Not a fight to pick with much confidence but, like haz, if bruno can avoid getting sparked I like Frank's chances of softening up Tommy with the jab and getting a stoppage or points win. Like I said, not a confident pick.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 04 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm

Frank was often labelled as being upright and a bit stiff, but he was half decent inside the ring and only lost to the 4 best men he faced, all of whom were champions at some point in the career. I don't think Tommy quite belongs in the same category. I think The Duke's best chance would be to try and land a Hail Mary hook early, otherwise Frank keeps it behind the jab and lands enough big shots to make a mess of Tommy's face by about 6 or 7 rounds.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Tue 05 Jan 2016, 6:29 pm

Big Frank for me. I expect Tommy to come out hard and Frank to tie him up and if he does not have a fussy Richard Steele type refereeing then he could wrestle and jab Tommy until he was in a position to be Ko'd by the big right. Bruno in 7.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Jan 2016, 10:46 am

Decent fight to ponder, this.

Appreciate from the outset that it appears to have knockout / stoppage written all over it, as neither guy ever lost by decision, but it’d be interesting if Morrison came to purely box rather than brawl. Tommy showed against Foreman he could keep it long and elusive (a bit too long and elusive for some people’s liking) and although he was ultra-negative in the championship rounds there, I felt for the first three quarters of the fight it was actually quite an impressive display. Being cumbersome and a bit one-paced Bruno wasn’t particularly suited to chasing a fight or a quicker opponent, either.

That said, Morrison’s performance against Foreman was the exception rather than the rule and with Bruno’s own vulnerabilities he might not have given his power as much respect as he did George’s. Would possibly be his undoing here. I’ll go with Bruno by mid-rounds stoppage as I think he was the more durable and imposing of the pair, but I wouldn’t rule Morrison out.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down