The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales star Leigh Halfpenny missing from Toulon team photo

+4
formerly known as Sam
Scottrf
BamBam
LordDowlais
8 posters

Go down

Wales star Leigh Halfpenny missing from Toulon team photo Empty Wales star Leigh Halfpenny missing from Toulon team photo

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:39 am

Well, is this a strong sign that he will definitely be leaving ? It also reports that Leigh has turned down an offer from Wasps because he is concerned about playing for team Wales, anyway I reckon he will be at Cardiff Blues next season.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-star-leigh-halfpenny-missing-10612954

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Wales star Leigh Halfpenny missing from Toulon team photo Empty Re: Wales star Leigh Halfpenny missing from Toulon team photo

Post by BamBam Thu 17 Dec 2015, 10:43 am

Definitely odd if the move is rumoured to be for next season

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Wales star Leigh Halfpenny missing from Toulon team photo Empty Re: Wales star Leigh Halfpenny missing from Toulon team photo

Post by Scottrf Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:15 am

I don't think you can read much into these things. Maybe he had other commitments. Maybe he was having injury treatment at a different location.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:35 am

Halfpenny will be back in Wales for next season. Where in Wales, who knows.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:58 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Halfpenny will be back in Wales for next season. Where in Wales, who knows.

It won't be at the Dragons! So that's 25% less uncertainty I suppose...!

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:20 pm

I think he will go to the Scarlets, but I think he is most needed at the Blues

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 Dec 2015, 12:47 pm

Nor would you expect him to appear at the Scarlets with Liam Williams already there. Blues or Ospreys one would imagine.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:27 pm

Well, Blues have first refusal if that WRU rule is to be believed. But I doubt he's want to play in the Amlin cup, nor would the WRU want to put a star asset in a 2nd tier cup. The O's could do with a decent FB (world class I mean, if 1/2p is that (very subjective)). But then the Ospreys got rid of him from the academy years back so there may be bad blood.

Liam Williams at Scarlets - yes I agree it would be silly to have them both there and then lose them both too at international time.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:44 pm

Talk down at the cap is that the pie man is willing to significantly top up his wages to play for them, WRU will pay the 60% of what they think he is worth but Peter Thomas will pay more than his 40%, although this is all just terrace talk, so believe what you like of that, but folk are convinced he will be playing for Cardiff Blues next season.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:50 pm

And that is one major difference between the CB's and the Dragons - you have a board who will do what it takes to get players of sufficient quality

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 17 Dec 2015, 5:05 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Talk down at the cap is that the pie man is willing to significantly top up his wages to play for them, WRU will pay the 60% of what they think he is worth but Peter Thomas will pay more than his 40%, although this is all just terrace talk, so believe what you like of that, but folk are convinced he will be playing for Cardiff Blues next season.

I thought that WRU removed the DC offer if total contract exceeded their valuation - as per Scott Williams.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 17 Dec 2015, 5:07 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Talk down at the cap is that the pie man is willing to significantly top up his wages to play for them, WRU will pay the 60% of what they think he is worth but Peter Thomas will pay more than his 40%, although this is all just terrace talk, so believe what you like of that, but folk are convinced he will be playing for Cardiff Blues next season.

I thought that WRU removed the DC offer if total contract exceeded their valuation - as per Scott Williams.

Put it this way, Peter Thomas apparently will make sure Leigh Halfpenny is earning £400k+ if he comes to Cardiff Blues, that is the talk.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 17 Dec 2015, 5:42 pm

How's Anscombe been kicking for Cardiff? He was pretty much laser guided when he was playing in the Super 15. Is a goal kicking fullback that high a priority? Would they be better bidding to bring home Morgan from Bristol as he can play 10 and 15 (obviously not a solid a 15 as Halfpenny)?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 20 Dec 2015, 11:23 am

Anscombe's kicking and form has been hit 'n miss - but he is improving and from what I can remember he has so far kicked well for team Wales. Patchell is off to make the Scarlets fly-half jersey his own next season, so GA will be at 10 for at least 16 games in the club season. Most quality teams need two kickers anyway and that is what Blues are intending to be once again.

Kicking isn't really the primary role of both players, but seeing as Halfpenny is the one with the immaculate strike rate then you'd assume he will take on the duty when he's in the starting team. GA might be able to play a bit better without the added pressure of kicking.

Morgan is an interesting choice but I don't think he will be regular at the top level until he bulks up and improves in defence. I guess with his versatility he could slot into any one of the regions, I don't mind who as he is the type of player I would like to see playing regular rugby in Wales.

*Edit - Blues need a full-back. Fish is rubbish. Patchell provides quality cover there but as mentioned he is playing his rugby in his preferred position at the Scarlets next season. The rest of the Blues options are rookies so they could do with a player of proven quality. I think Halfpenny harbours a sense of loyalty to the Blues as well btw, he wouldn't harbour anything like that towards another region.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 20 Dec 2015, 6:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Put it this way, Peter Thomas apparently will make sure Leigh Halfpenny is earning £400k+ if he comes to Cardiff Blues, that is the talk.

So if he did return to Cardiff, he would mostly be a spectator at CAP, probably. Marvelous.

"Blues coach Danny Wilson says they cannot offer the highest wages but would be able to ensure Halfpenny is in "peak" condition for Wales.
The best interests of the player internationally would be at the front of our minds," said Wilson."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35137118

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Dec 2015, 8:45 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

So if he did return to Cardiff, he would mostly be a spectator at CAP, probably. Marvelous.

"Blues coach Danny Wilson says they cannot offer the highest wages but would be able to ensure Halfpenny is in "peak" condition for Wales.
The best interests of the player internationally would be at the front of our minds," said Wilson."

If the WRU are paying the majority of his wages then I guess he should give team Wales the majority of his service, not the club. It's not ideal. Would be much better if the clubs could afford to pay all of the wages of every player. But such is life in the 21st century.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 20 Dec 2015, 9:24 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

If the WRU are paying the majority of his wages then I guess he should give team Wales the majority of his service, not the club. It's not ideal. Would be much better if the clubs could afford to pay all of the wages of every player. But such is life in the 21st century.

Payment for services isn't it, this dodger DC money?
No it aint ideal and it cheeses me off. Seems it's all designed to have Welsh players employed in Wales for the use of team Wales. The 4 pro teams should be fielding their strongest squad as much as possible, but that aint gonna happen any time soon by the look of it.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down