The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Andy Murray Become More Vocal On Court?

3 posters

Go down

Has Andy Murray Become More Vocal On Court? Empty Has Andy Murray Become More Vocal On Court?

Post by Guest Fri 27 Nov 2015, 8:19 pm

I have watched a few snippets of Murray playing tennis recently and it seems to me he is becoming more vocal on court during play even when he is not striking the ball.  

For example in a rally between him and Ruben Bemelmans (shot of the day point) he makes short vocalisations whenever he has to exert himself in moving his body.  In the shot of the day point he goes "wuh" when changing direction, "yeh" when the ball is returned to him and heading his way, "arrh" when the ball is returned wide of him and he has to run to the side, "agh", "wuh" running towards a drop shot.  He also did the same at the WTF - he had to run for a drop shot and as he ran towards the ball he was going "agh ... agh ... agh" as if every step was painful.

Has anyone noticed this as well - making noises when moving towards the ball or changing directions?

Also is this lacking in court decorum - like burping during meals and letting rip at the cinema during one of those quiet tense scenes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/34948048

Back to top Go down

Has Andy Murray Become More Vocal On Court? Empty Re: Has Andy Murray Become More Vocal On Court?

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 27 Nov 2015, 10:47 pm

He's always made a bit of a sound when he has to quickly change direction or sprint, particularly to chase a drop shot. I'm not sure it's got any worse. I do think over the last few months he's been further behind the baseline than the first half of the year, so maybe he's running more as a result.

I don't think it's rude or off putting. When you compare the noises of some others it's pretty minor.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Has Andy Murray Become More Vocal On Court? Empty Re: Has Andy Murray Become More Vocal On Court?

Post by YvonneT Sat 28 Nov 2015, 12:06 pm

Yeah, he's always made a startled noise if he has to change direction unexpectedly.

He also, although this doesn't feature on your clip, often acknowledges a winner going past him with a "yip".

I think it's fine as long as you aren't vocal between hitting your shot and your opponent hitting theirs. That's where some of the women who screech are criticised because the noise extends long after they have hit their shot.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 28 Nov 2015, 1:01 pm

Yes there are more noises to be heard from Andy but - as YvonneT says - it's nothing to get exercised about really, and bears no comparison to the truly horrendous - AND ill-timed - shrieking which features in virtually every WTA match we see.

Plus, I am in super-friendly Andy mode right now. As a Brit, I have him to thank for the fact that we no longer have to hear all the chatter about just how many decades it is since we last had a home-bred Wimbledon Champ ; and this w/end he can hopefully do the very same for the DC record books ; with help from his brother of course.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Nov 2015, 2:29 pm

Hmmm okay.  I found the "argh ... argh ... argh" when he was running for the drop shot alarming - like he was an old man.  Also after the match in his on court interview he sounded very hoarse as if he was coming down with a throat infection or had a sore throat maybe because of all his vocalisations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/34945009
Go to 1:35 for his arg arg arg running towards a drop shot - which he seems to do for many drop shots as far as I can tell now.

Go to 3:50 for his interview and it sounds like Murray has mild laryngitis.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 28 Nov 2015, 3:07 pm

He looks in fine fettle and perfectly healthy today Nore Staat.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down