The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pat Eddery

3 posters

Go down

Pat Eddery Empty Pat Eddery

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Nov 2015, 9:56 pm

I'm not a great one for the horses and judging by the lack of posts that applies to many on 606v2. However, thought it only right to mark the passing of Pat Eddery and applaud his successes. Eleven times British flat racing champion, three times winner of the Epsom Derby, a joint record four times winner of the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe and winner of various other classics home and abroad. Those are remarkable and sustained achievements from an era when Eddery was competing against such other high quality jockeys as Piggott, Carson and Cauthen.

A fantastic jockey and sportsman of the twentieth century.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Pat Eddery Empty Re: Pat Eddery

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Nov 2015, 2:02 pm

I remember watching Eddery's first ever winner on TV and followed him ever since.
Some lovely tributes, none more so than from Lester:

"As fierce an opponent on the course as he was a loyal and dear friend off it. A natural horseman, he exuded class and always knew what to do in a race. I doubt you'd find a jockey with a sharper tactical mind or who was stronger in a finish."

I nominated him on this board as the "Best Irish Sportsman" and most of the morons who criticised the choice had probably never heard of him.

Was at a meeting last night and my neighbour, who's from Wexford, started the meeting by reminiscing about Pat Eddery - her uncle is a trainer and Eddery rode for him from time to time. Great stories were told but no-one else in the room knew who the hell we were talking about! Americans!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Fri 13 Nov 2015, 5:42 pm

I'm based at Epsom and in my younger years (1970s/'80s) followed the Sport of Kings every day, and was fortunate to know a few of the "characters" around then, one or two of whom went right back to the Gordon Richards era (by universal agreement the greatest jockey of all time).

Many in the know reckoned Pat to be better than Piggott, and he certainly was a tough nut. It was said that he could thrash a horse within an inch of its life, and that's not implying cruelty, just his will to win and remarkable horsemanship.

Another one around then, and, again, regarded by many to be the greatest then, was the little Frenchman-the "monkey up a stick"-Yves St. Martin.

Wonderful, wonderful years. Many memories, not least of Pat. Absolutely tragic to depart at such a relatively young age. Condolences to his family (I recall that one of his jockey brothers had a life-changing injury that forced his retirement from the saddle),

And Piggott, after all those years of near starvation, is still around!

Truly tough nuts all of them.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum