The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November

+7
munkian
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
Stone Motif
mikey_dragon
GavinDragon
George Carlin
11 posters

Go down

Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November Empty Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November

Post by George Carlin Tue 10 Nov 2015, 05:56

Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November Dragon10                              Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November Sharks10
Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks
Sunday 15 November 2015
KO 15:15
Rodney Parade, Newport

Live on Sky Sports

Referee Alexandre Ruiz (France)
Touch Judge 1 Cedric Marchat (France)
Touch Judge 2 Jonathan Gasnier (France)
TMO Vincent Azoulay (France)
Citing Commissioner Guy Gasparotto (France)

Official Preview:
PREVIEW: Friends reunited for Jones
Newport Gwent Dragons head coach Kingsley Jones is relishing the prospect of welcoming former club Sale Sharks to Rodney Parade.

The former Wales flanker spent seven seasons at the Sale helm, and welcomes them to South Wales for the first time when the Dragons kick-off their Pool Two campaign on Sunday. And he knows the size of the task that awaits having been on the inside at Sale four years ago.

He said: "I watched Sale Sharks against Harlequins and they are a quality side. But we look forward to that, it's my old team and I have a lot of friends there. I signed a few of the lads that are playing for them now so I'm looking forward to seeing them, they were all 16 or 17 when I was there!

"I know a lot about there individuals and their coaches and they are playing really well. We look forward to that tournament like we did last year, it's a big tournament for us. We need to improve in our exits and our finishing."

Sale came out on the wrong side of a tight contest against Harlequins, but TJ Ioane reckons they can conquer last season's semi-finalists if they carry on producing the same level of performances.

He said: "I think we are producing a lot of good rugby at the moment, and hopefully we can continue that and build on it heading into next week's European game against Newport Gwent Dragons. We just need to work on the things which didn't go too well for us, and carry on with what did go well."
TEAMS:
Newport Gwent Dragons

Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November Dragon10
[tbc]

Sale Sharks
Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November Shark-10
[tbc]
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November Empty Re: Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November

Post by Guest Wed 11 Nov 2015, 16:38

Taulupe Faletau a possible doubt for this. Great news.

I'm not confident about this at all, even if he is fit mind.

Back to top Go down

Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November Empty Re: Challenge Cup Pool 2: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks, 15 November

Post by GavinDragon Wed 11 Nov 2015, 16:52

30 point thumping on the cards. Hope Griffiths starts again, kid is class

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 11 Nov 2015, 17:04

GavinDragon wrote:30 point thumping on the cards. Hope Griffiths starts again, kid is class

30 point thumping from Sale? I don't think so.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 11 Nov 2015, 22:57

mikey_dragon wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:30 point thumping on the cards. Hope Griffiths starts again, kid is class

A royal bumming wouldn't exactly be a surprise now would it?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Nov 2015, 00:05

A hammering would not surprise me in the slightest. Might shock some though, who continue to back Lyn because of the way we swept aside the might of Stade and Newcastle last season Very Happy

Oh and we finished above Cardiff too, might I add. Plus we were above two other regions before this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 12 Nov 2015, 09:26

Sale are a very average side, but not sure they will lose by that much.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 12 Nov 2015, 12:33

Stone Motif wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

A royal bumming wouldn't exactly be a surprise now would it?

No. But I don't think Sale are 30 points better.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 13 Nov 2015, 05:25

As ever with this comp it depends on how much importance the French and English sides place on it, especially away games.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 13 Nov 2015, 07:48

Castres haven't sold any tickets for their home game with us Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:29

All have named strong squads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:49

munkian wrote:Castres haven't sold any tickets for their home game with us Shocked

They must be holding them back so they don't sell out too soon. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Nov 2015, 12:45

Dragons: C Meyer, A Hewitt, A Hughes, A Warren, N Scott, D Jones, S Pretorius, B Stankovich, E Dee, S Knight, C Hill, R Landman (captain), L Evans, O Griffiths, E Jackson. Replacements: R Buckley, P Price, B Harris, M Screech, T Faletau, C Davies, J Tovey, R Wardle.

Sale: T Jeffers, T Brady, M Jennings, S Bedlow, C Ingall, N MacLeod, J Mitchell, J Flynn, N Briggs, B Mujati, J Mills (captain), A Ostrikov, M Lund, A Hughes, V Fihaki. Replacements: C Neild, J Pope, R Harrison, G Nott, J Beaumont, J Ford, J O’Donnell, N Edwards.

Compared to Sale last week.

Sale Sharks: Haley; Arscott, James, Tuitupou, Edwards; Cipriani, Stringer; Harrison, Taylor, Cobilas, Evans, Mills, Braid (capt), Ioane, Beaumont.

Replacements: Briggs, Flynn, Mujati, Ostrikov, Lund, Mitchell, Macleod, Leota.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 13 Nov 2015, 13:03

I dont think Cipriani has been picked - not sure if its form or the whole guinness cider RedWine thing
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 13 Nov 2015, 18:26

Sale aren't interested in this comp then, or are only targeting home games?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Nov 2015, 19:14

I don't know. I guess not interested, otherwise they'd surely go all out for this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 15 Nov 2015, 17:40

A nice bonus point win for the Drags. And the A team won in the BIC. Blydi 'ell.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 15 Nov 2015, 18:07

Sale were not at all full strength.

But still, we had to defend for periods, which we did well and also scored some good tries.

Ollie Griffiths is some prospect. Can't believe how blessed we are in Wales for 7's. We have one at each region who IMO could push for a Wales start and all offer something different.

Have to say I was impressed with Dorian Jones (who I have criticised heavily in the past). He kicked well, brought the ball to the line well and even defended well.

Shaun Knight showed why he deserved to start and we were comfortable at scrum time even with them having mujati.

Nice to hear 'suftmog' ringing out after some very positive rugby.

All that being said, I do fear this papers over the cracks of Lyn Jones' tenure and hope the board do not forget how poor we have been this year when they start to discuss contract renewals for him at the end of the season.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 15 Nov 2015, 18:29

Sounds like we did our usual thing by starting well, then tapering off and allowing the opposition to score tries, before finishing strongly - it's the reason why we've lost all those games in the Pro12 already. Decent result today though.

On the BIC - Ospreys and Scarlets got stuffed. With Ospreys it was expected, the only names I recognised in their team are failed pro players. Scarlets had a good team out on paper so I'm actually very surprised that they lost so badly.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 15 Nov 2015, 18:38

Great result today, regardless of whether sale were at full strength or not they are a decent team with a decent squad.

Griffiths really is a great prospect, the scrum seemed to at get parity and in fact we looked pretty comfortable.

One are where we really need to get a grip is our composure, we have seen time and time again where we get into good positions and then just throw a crazy loose pass, give away stupid penalties or end up surrendering good leads.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 15 Nov 2015, 19:19

Looks like Sale are focused on the AP. They have a small squad but a good academy. Looks like they'll sacrifice Europe to try and bring on their younger players and give their few big names a rest. Cipriani is huge for them and without him they really don't have anything close to another international playmaker. Can understand wrapping him in cotton wool.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 15 Nov 2015, 21:34

Well done Dragons, watched a bit at the stadium today the period I saw around the hour mark the defence was excellent, even though it was nowhere near your own line.
Cymru 2 Lloegr 0 in Europe today

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 16 Nov 2015, 06:09

Likewise to the O's on their very good win over Exeter

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down