The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burgess - Breaking News

+39
alive555
Notch
englandglory4ever
nathan
nlpnlp
WELL-PAST-IT
eirebilly
aucklandlaurie
madmaccas
Golden
rodders
seanmichaels
IanBru
Cyril
boomeranga
bluestonevedder
No 7&1/2
blackcanelion
HammerofThunor
doctor_grey
offload
Mr Bounce
milkyboy
majesticimperialman
Seagultaf
Hood83
Duty281
Exiledinborders
RubyGuby
Geordie
Knowsit17
Rugby Fan
Barney McGrew did it
chewed_mintie
Slow and Sedate
thebandwagonsociety
lostinwales
Scarpia
Bazzer79
43 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Burgess - Breaking News - Page 3 Empty Burgess - Breaking News

Post by Bazzer79 Thu 5 Nov 2015 - 16:07

First topic message reminder :

Sam Burgess has signed for South Sydney Rabbithos. Another failed RL conversion. Serious egg on face for Bath & Lancaster & Co.

Bazzer79

Back to top Go down

Burgess - Breaking News - Page 3 Empty Re: Burgess - Breaking News

Post by seanmichaels Wed 11 Nov 2015 - 16:15

There seems to be a lot of jealousy in English Rugby Union, from current players to former players. Burgess had a good cameo against Fiji and when he left the pitch against Wales England were 10 points up. To achieve that in 8-10 months points to someone who could have been exceptional a year or two down the line. He could easily have played the SBW (sheer presence in the final enabled offload to take out 1/2 the Aussie backline) role for the All Blacks but the collars up barbour brigade would never accept it. Shame and the bloke has been hung out to dry.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 11 Nov 2015 - 16:23

He could have had an exceptional year or two if he stuck Union out.....he decided to run back to RL with his tail between his legs.

This was Burgess's decision and his alone.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 11 Nov 2015 - 16:39

seanmichaels wrote:There seems to be a lot of jealousy in English Rugby Union, from current players to former players. Burgess had a good cameo against Fiji and when he left the pitch against Wales England were 10 points up. To achieve that in 8-10 months points to someone who could have been exceptional a year or two down the line. He could easily have played the SBW (sheer presence in the final enabled offload to take out 1/2 the Aussie backline) role for the All Blacks but the collars up barbour brigade would never accept it. Shame and the bloke has been hung out to dry.

I agree he could have been an exceptional in time, but we'll never know now for sure. He wasn't happy at Bath for a bunch of reasons some we can guess at some we'll never know. At worst the 'barbour brigade' have as much to do with that as he had with his own expectations of the game and how well he could adapt. He wasn't shunned or treated badly because he was a league player, quite the opposite given how quickly he was promoted to the national set up. Guys like Burrell have much more of a complaint about how they were treated by the system than Burgess.

The 'hung out to dry' bit is a media construct. The media have pushed an agenda because he's high profile and a lot of people lap it up.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 11 Nov 2015 - 18:10

I think the statements both by Burgess and by people at Bath simply reinforces the need for people to grow the eff up and know when to shut their pie hole.

In other words, act professional.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Wed 11 Nov 2015 - 19:16

I actually think the Burrell thing is over-stated. His form was bang average for a long time, and frankly I don't think he'd have done any better at 12 than Burgess.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 11 Nov 2015 - 21:35

Hood83 wrote:I actually think the Burrell thing is over-stated. His form was bang average for a long time, and frankly I don't think he'd have done any better at 12 than Burgess.

yep- he was consistently the worst performing back in the England back division in my eyes

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 12 Nov 2015 - 13:10

seanmichaels wrote:There seems to be a lot of jealousy in English Rugby Union, from current players to former players. Burgess had a good cameo against Fiji and when he left the pitch against Wales England were 10 points up.

Yup 2 points the media have pretty much ignored.

No one seems to mention the shambolic game Mike Brown had against Australia or how badly outplayed their back row was - Robshaw is keeping is head down anyways.

Burgess has definitely been scapegoated.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 12 Nov 2015 - 13:39

rodders wrote:Burgess has definitely been scapegoated.
I don't think he has been. Critics have attacked the decision to select him. I don't think I've heard anyone of any stature suggest that Burgess' performance on the pitch was the reason England got knocked out.

Mind you, I can see why Burgess felt in the crosshairs. Quite a few said right from the off that it was wrong to select him, while after the tournament, it was easy to point to that choice as evidence of muddled thinking.

The point being, it's very possible to hold the opinion that it was wrong to include Burgess in the squad, while also conceding that he did all right in matches, especially by comparison with other players.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 12 Nov 2015 - 14:39

When people say Burgess "did OK" in the centre and wasn't the reason England lost, that might be true. Surely the point is that someone else might have done a little better than just OK.

In his 3 WC matches he carried over the gain line a total of 7 times, beat 2 players and made no clean breaks. In the Welsh match he didn't pass the ball once. Just saying.....

Shame he turned out to be a quitter before he had learned the game.

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 12 Nov 2015 - 16:31

offload wrote:When people say Burgess "did OK" in the centre and wasn't the reason England lost, that might be true.  Surely the point is that someone else might have done a little better than just OK.  

In his 3 WC matches he carried over the gain line a total of 7 times, beat 2 players and made no clean breaks.  In the Welsh match he didn't pass the ball once.  Just saying.....

Shame he turned out to be a quitter before he had learned the game.

Well, I can't say that Barritt did any better, and those who had previously had their chances at 12 (Burrell, 12trees, Eastmond) hadn't cemented the jersey. I'm not particularly defending Burgess, but there was some rational thought in giving him an opportunity. You could though equally argue that Slade should have been given more game time - my guess is that Lancaster et al preferred Burgess's big game experience, even if from a different code.

There were certainly other players who should be being questioned regarding the performances against Wales and Australia, although in the latter case I think it was partly we just caught them on a very good day.

Anyway, Burgess has gone back to Sydney, Lancaster has quit and I assume the rest of the coaching team will soon be on the way out. New broom and a blank sheet of paper regarding the team and squad.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 8 May 2016 - 22:55

Sam and the missus partying along to Jimmy Barnes.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11635832

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3