The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France v Canada

+13
BamBam
whocares
ME-109
Bathman_in_London
rodders
carpet baboon
VinceWLB
SecretFly
Artful_Dodger
The Great Aukster
LeinsterFan4life
Chunky Norwich
westisbest
17 posters

Go down

France v Canada Empty France v Canada

Post by westisbest Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Really enjoyed that game.

Canada have always been a second team for me.
Really liked their spirit.

DTH Van der Merwe is an exciting player to watch.
Hearn to.

Hopefully Canada can get the 5 points against Romania.

France were to much for Canada in the end, as you knew they would be.
Fair play to them.
Spedding is a beast.
Big fan of Fofana

Hope we batter them in Cardiff though.

Well done to Canada, looking for to Romania game.

Hopefully Canada will improve more in the years to come.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

France v Canada Empty Re: France v Canada

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:59 pm

France know Nigel Owens will cheat Ireland to a win, so they're aiming t peak in the knock outs.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:France know Nigel Owens will cheat Ireland to a win, so they're aiming t peak in the knock outs.
+1 well said.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:50 pm

westisbest wrote:Big fan of Fofana

Used to be - but no longer. His Matawalu style histrionics on a borderline high tackle were just cringeworthy. So much for all the bluster that World Rugby were going to clamp down on 'simulation'.

(His try was about 3 yards forward from Michalak but can't blame him for that!)

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:26 pm

The art of espionage by Jamie Cudmore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcgALF_fNUY

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:13 pm

Yep, Fofana should have been warned about acting.  The penalty should have remained for the high tackle but ref should have warned him about over-elaboration.

Good game.  France look in the game and on the money.  They look serious, they look organised and they look...united.  That last one being the most important.

So, whoever thought this group was going to be a sail through a few months ago (I didn't) better rethink their complacency.  And I think even now, Joe better start doing some intense video work on looking to New Zealand as our potential Quarter-final opponents.

France are good enough to dump us into 2nd place. And our journey may once again be over prematurely.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:Yep, Fofana should have been warned about acting.  The penalty should have remained for the high tackle but ref should have warned him about over-elaboration.

Good game.  France look in the game and on the money.  They look serious, they look organised and they look...united.  That last one being the most important.

So, whoever thought this group was going to be a sail through a few months ago (I didn't) better rethink their complacency.  And I think even now, Joe better start doing some intense video work on looking to New Zealand as our potential Quarter-final opponents.

France are good enough to dump us into 2nd place.  And our journey may once again be over prematurely.

They have the capacity to beat us but I wouldn't really be hyping them up as much as this. "Serious, organised and united".....Canada were within a score up until the 60 minute mark when France pulled away. They do some things well but they are still....in my opinion...largely incoherent in their approach. I think their plan against us will be to beat us physically, I don't think we are going to see much cutting edge and for me the most dangerous France team is one that has that rapier like attack. We haven't seen that approach from France thus far under PSA. I think Schmidt will have their number strategically and tactically.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:43 pm

Maybe I'm just looking at a different France to everyone else but everytime I say let's be cautious I get *yawns* batted back at me..

I see contenders.  That's not to say that Ireland will be whipped, (we're contenders too - so far performance-wise) But I see France as 'serious, organised and united'.  It's a team that's a thousand miles removed from the one we've been laughing at for the last couple of years now.  
No cutting edge? 12 tries ain't bad after three games having already met Italy (allegedly now a step up for Ireland to come) and Canada (a side that might have scored only one try against us but seriously threatened a few more on us too)
Michalak no longer looks flaky.  Parra makes them purr and roll with anything but 'incoherence' when he comes on.

But we'll see.  Time will tell.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:40 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
westisbest wrote:Big fan of Fofana

Used to be - but no longer. His Matawalu style histrionics on a borderline high tackle were just cringeworthy. So much for all the bluster that World Rugby were going to clamp down on 'simulation'.

(His try was about 3 yards forward from Michalak but can't blame him for that!)

Funny thing is i don't even think that was a high tackle, not a penalty. Or rather penalty to Canada, have to say the officiating in this WC has been pretty rubbish but we keep hearing we have the worst refs in the pro12...

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:48 am

Will be a tough game going against the french.

Any win will do.

Have to hope we don't stumble against Italy sunday.
5 pointer hopefully.

Re Canada, shame they didn't beat Italy.
Hopefully they can beat Romainia.
Finish the tournament with a win.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:06 am

Chunky Norwich wrote:France know Nigel Owens will cheat Ireland to a win, so they're aiming t peak in the knock outs.

You are a special kind of anger and bitterness

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:15 am

Great game - not sure what to make of France.

They look brutally powerful up front and when you add Spelling and Basterau into the equation they look capable of pulverizing teams at will. Defending their maul will be very difficult, if not impossible.

That said they looked really vulnerable without the ball and Canada had them at sixes and sevens for periods in the middle third of the game - the pick and go through the middle caused the problems and then their defense was sucked narrow.

I'm sure Schmidt will use this and always feels France can be hurt around the ruck where their tight 5 can be fairly lazy.

Pity Fofana couldn't take that kick from Michelak, would have been one of the tries of the tournament.

Fair play to Canada, definitely the score didn't reflect how good they were.

Cracker from Cudmore when he joined the French pack in the huddle....  Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:28 am

carpet baboon wrote:

The facts don't lie. Ireland and Nigel are in love.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:30 am

I enjoyed this game, France looked decent but Canada played well I thought, especially their starting 9. I have really enjoyed the style of rugby some of the 'minnows' have played.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:41 am

Chunky Norwich wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

Nige respects that Ireland still appreciate rugby union, unlike his native Wales, who along with the English overlords are obsessed with creating a rugby league hybrid to help them compete with the ABs.

So we will stand strong with Nige and our Kiwi brethren to stop the Edwards and Farrells of this world destroying our great game. An Ireland RWC victory would be a victory for the game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 am

SecretFly wrote:Maybe I'm just looking at a different France to everyone else but everytime I say let's be cautious I get *yawns* batted back at me..

I see contenders.  That's not to say that Ireland will be whipped, (we're contenders too - so far performance-wise) But I see France as 'serious, organised and united'.  It's a team that's a thousand miles removed from the one we've been laughing at for the last couple of years now.  
No cutting edge? 12 tries ain't bad after three games having already met Italy (allegedly now a step up for Ireland to come) and Canada (a side that might have scored only one try against us but seriously threatened a few more on us too)
Michalak no longer looks flaky.  Parra makes them purr and roll with anything but 'incoherence' when he comes on.

But we'll see.  Time will tell.

What I took from the game is that 17-0 game over (French fall asleep)...17-12 oops hang on here better do something....24-12. Second half starts...eventually France wake up at 24-18...need to do something again..41-18 end of. Did what they had to do...when they were interested they were pretty tuned in....

They have played only in patches so far this world cup so question is can they put a full 80 (or even 40) mins together. If not and we play to our strengths we will beat them. But its not going to be easy.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:53 am

SecretFly wrote:
France are good enough to dump us into 2nd place.  And our journey may once again be over prematurely.

Sexto, Sean O'Brien and boring Dave will have a field day running down their 10 channel fly and Payne's superlative lateral movement will have Basterau and Fofana tackling each other.

Bonus point win coming up! Cool
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:59 am

rodders wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Sexto, Sean O'Brien and boring Dave will have a field day running down their 10 channel fly and Payne's superlative lateral movement will have Basterau and Fofana tackling each other.

Bonus point win coming up! Cool

Oh I agree, rodders. Especially about Jaroiaydde Poyeennnn

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:25 am

France at least is improving a little bit from the previous two games :
- some good things : set piece (100% line out, some good mauls which lead to 3 tries), generally good performance from the forwards. Michalak also had is best game in the last 2 years I reckon while Fofana is improving.
- some bad things : 15 turnover conceded and 22% tackles missed is not acceptable at this level. against Ireland it will translate into a spanking. France went awol during 10 minutes and Canada scored two tries. Tillous Bordes was awful.

in a nutshell, if Ireland can counter France line outs and mauls then they are safe. it's a bit worrying that our best try scorer is a TH prop!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:06 pm

rodders wrote:
So we will stand strong with Nige.

Yes I'm sure you will

#153Minutes

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Not one Frenchman would make it into the Canada side imo

Beat you to it SF Run

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Not many sides would be leaving out Van Der Merwe if they had the chance to pick him

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:30 pm

BamBam wrote:Not one Frenchman would make it into the Canada side imo

Beat you to it SF Run

Damn you!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:33 pm

lostinwales wrote:Not many sides would be leaving out Van Der Merwe if they had the chance to pick him

Super player. Like all players of his calibre, a little tendency to go a little crazy at times when a cool head might work better. But a small fault for a player that gives his team such a bite.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:31 pm

He is a good player alright.

Good to watch.
Hopefully will score a couple agains Romania.
Good signing by Scarlets.

Ha, yes rodders, Cudmore joining the french huddle was pretty funny.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:47 pm

France may look united, but also nothing special. If we lose, we deserve to be labelled as bottlers. Put England, a team often described as relatively as strong as Ireland, in the same position, and I've no doubt they'd win by 10+ against this French team. We should attack them with the same attitude. I think the innate humility within all of us Irish folks isn't the best for competition. None of this "careful lads, they're secretly better than us" stuff. Should we win vs France, I can it going to all new levels for Argentina - Quinlan in the Times writing about how we could well lose, Wood in the studio telling horror stories about 1999 etc. This all gets back to the players, whether they will admit it or not.

We have to be just a little bit arrogant here. We have earned the right to parade the team's accomplishments. We need to make other nations fear us, not admire our humble nature!!
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:53 pm

France are just being France. The can be awful and fantastic within the same game. They could beat the All Blacks one week and lose to Tonga the next.

You just have to hope the crap France turn up when you play them. Good France can be unbeatable.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:20 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:France are just being France.  The can be awful and fantastic within the same game.  They could beat the All Blacks one week and lose to Tonga the next.

You just have to hope the crap France turn up when you play them.  Good France can be unbeatable.

France has never looked "good France" under St Andre though.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:18 pm

kunu wrote:France may look united, but also nothing special. If we lose, we deserve to be labelled as bottlers. Put England, a team often described as relatively as strong as Ireland, in the same position, and I've no doubt they'd win by 10+ against this French team.

I don't know.  I see that as more a hope that 'talk will talk us into a final, so keep it up boys!!!'.  I'm not so sure talk works that way except when coming from Schmidt and his coaches and amongst the players themselves.

But back to the specific of that point of yours above.  France could and probably are saying the very same thing about us.  And who would blame them their little bit of arrogance?  

They wouldn't be the only team or Nation disregarding our current threat.  Many commentators around the world think that our methodology could be found very wanting by considered better sides in this WC.  England beat us recently.  Wales beat us recently, and in the last 6N.  What would France be over-worrying about themselves? They'll feel they bottled it if they lose.

So they'll give themselves a fair chance of doing us in.  And that's realistically what they have.  And that's all that was transmitted in some of the posts above.  France have a chance of knocking us into 2nd and dropping us into the line of fire of New Zealand.  Not admitting that to ourselves won't make that possibility disappear.  They have a real chance and are currently playing well enough to do so.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

Joe said that wee Nige has owed us since the NZ game in 2013. I'll any help he can give Yahoo

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:33 pm

Right now, after tonight, the plan is to lose to France!!!! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

Facts or your opinion?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Its a chunky fact...which means its true even if it isnt....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Yes he does live in a special world dosent he

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:54 pm

We do love Nigel. And Nigel loves us.

I think there is a jealousy thing going on here in an unrequited love kinda thing. Maybe Chunky just wants to be loved by us?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Didn't we try that during the 6 nations? I think he just got angrier

Last edited by carpet baboon on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fat fingers)

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:26 pm

SecretFly wrote:
 Not admitting that to ourselves won't make that possibility disappear. They have a real chance and are currently playing well enough to do so.

They absolutely have a great chance, and would be a good value bet. That's not my point though. To be a dominant team we need to be confident from the grass roots up, that means players and fans.. We need a culture which expects to win. It's not that we have to avoid admitting to ourselves there's no possibility we will lose, but we must avoid the entire thought process behind even bringing the notion to the table before a game. Its such an Irish thing !! We beat all of the top teams in 2014/15 bar NZ an Argentina, who we didn't play. The actual team will not underestimate our opponents. With Joe that's impossible. My point is - there's absolutely no harm in the public doing it!

Waxing lyrical about teams (I don't mean on the forum per se - what else would you do here - but in the media) breeds a defeatist Irish psyche. Take any of England, Australia, Wales, NZ, or SA - I'd bet our media write more self deprecating, opposition hyping articles than any of them prior to big games. Those ideas naturally spread to the public, and they allow for the notion that we won't perform. Forgive the exaggeration, but 60 mins into a game, 12-9 down to France, Irish players may end up thinking "hey lads, Keith Wood went on about Picamoles for days on the telly, maybe he was right after all".

If you refuse to believe such a thing is possible, fair enough. But I'd suggest that's precisely what happened in the final minutes vs NZ 2013. Nobody expected or demanded a win (the players will say they did, but the public certainly didn't - and I refuse to believe that doesn't make a difference in the back of players minds) and it escaped us when it mattered most. Losing was an option. We have to eradicate that. Losing to France when we've beaten them the last two times we have played, and outperformed them so far in the competition, is not an option!
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Take a chill pill...we get the armchair psychology

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:49 pm

in fairness, we're all on armchairs here, whatever topic it may be!
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down