The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

+36
sensisball
GLove39
funnyExiledScot
madmaccas
RDW
VinceWLB
George Carlin
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
nickj
MacKnocked-on
EWT Spoons
thebandwagonsociety
Tattie Scones RRN
des
alive555
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Weegie Wizard
CraigS1874
takethelongroad
R!skysports
Converter
Majestic83
IanBru
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Prothero
Nematode
justified sinner
TJ
Eejit
demosthenes
BigGee
Hazel Sapling
cakeordeath
RuggerRadge2611
40 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

Post by VinceWLB Tue 24 Nov 2015, 11:36 am

Riskysports wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Nel is the biggest worry - an international class tighthead in his prime will have a lot of interest.

It would stick in the throat a bit of he left so soon after qualifying for Scotland, but big money generally always wins.

Whilst I would be gutted if Nel left, I wouldn't begrudge him of a move.

He's given his all for Edinburgh over the last 3 years and played superbly, and probably played more mins than most other players.  His stock is unlikely to be higher than it is now so this is his best chance to get a good deal. He's also likely to want to actually win something before he calls it a day and sadly that seems unlikely with Edinburgh.

Whilst yeah it would be nice if players showed loyalty etc but if he wasn't playing well we'd be calling for him to be dropped, so it works both ways, and pro rugby is a very short career.

If he left - I would be very annoyed - as it would highlight the mockery of the resident rule -we all remember Flutey and how we derided that

If he must leave - maybe to Glasgow :-)

Glasgow are not interested in tightheads who can scrummage. They prefer gazelles who can run around the pitch Whistle

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:14 pm

Doesn't Nel do both.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:15 pm

Andress is out of contract at the end of the season. Exactly the sort of non-scrummaging nutcase that would work well at Glasgow.

Huge opportunities for Fagerson in Scottish rugby. He just needs to work hard on his technique.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:22 pm

If this is Glasgow's current stock of props. Who's a tight head? The Northampton game showed why they are absolutely key!

Alex Allan
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
George Hunter
Michael Cusack
Ryan Grant
Gordon Reid
Stephen Findlay
Gary Strain
Javan Sebastian
Sila Puafisi
D'arcy Rae
Zander Fagerson

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:26 pm

nickj wrote:If this is Glasgow's current stock of props. Who's a tight head? The Northampton game showed why they are absolutely key!

Alex Allan
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
George Hunter
Michael Cusack
Ryan Grant
Gordon Reid
Stephen Findlay
Gary Strain
Javan Sebastian
Sila Puafisi
D'arcy Rae
Zander Fagerson

So much dross!! Loosehead options aren't terrible in that Reid, Jerry and Alex Allan can play a bit, but tighthead is woefully under-staffed. Cusack doesn't play much and Fagerson is green. The rest in aggregate combine to make a poor man's Jack Gilding.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
nickj wrote:If this is Glasgow's current stock of props. Who's a tight head? The Northampton game showed why they are absolutely key!

Alex Allan
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
George Hunter
Michael Cusack
Ryan Grant
Gordon Reid
Stephen Findlay
Gary Strain
Javan Sebastian
Sila Puafisi
D'arcy Rae
Zander Fagerson

So much dross!! Loosehead options aren't terrible in that Reid, Jerry and Alex Allan can play a bit, but tighthead is woefully under-staffed. Cusack doesn't play much and Fagerson is green. The rest in aggregate combine to make a poor man's Jack Gilding.
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread X-rated - Page 11 Smug_j10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Nov 2015, 1:20 pm

We are one injury away from John Andress. Believe me, I'm not particularly smug!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 24 Nov 2015, 2:19 pm

I think we need to throw everything we have at Nel to get him to stay - if he becomes our most highest paid player ever then so be it.

Whoever we got to replace him would be a significant drop in quality, and tighthead is such an important position.

It also shows how barren our tighthead resources are in Scotland - Fagerson is showing promise and Rae is coming through, but there is actually no one else in the pipeline.

Atiga needs to find us some props! How hard can it be - they must hang out in the same places (KFC, MacDonalds, Krispy Kreme etc)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Nov 2015, 2:25 pm

I wonder whether Atiga himself couldn't do a job. He's got the pace for it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 24 Nov 2015, 2:29 pm

We still have Berghan, who might be able to do a job, he just needs to either step or actually get a chance, but yes tight head props are a rare breed.....sorry good tight head props are a rare breed.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Nov 2015, 2:35 pm

This is where we need Maj to step in and tell us about young Chunk McUnit, a 16 year old monster from the Gorbals, already weighing 20st and who can bench the gym maximum with Duncan Weir sitting on top.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Nov 2015, 2:36 pm

.....or we just ask Biltong which SA props didn't quite make the cut for the latest Springbok squad, and send Lineen and Atiga along with some nice photos of Scotland (not Glasgow) and some shortbread.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 24 Nov 2015, 2:39 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:This is where we need Maj to step in and tell us about young Chunk McUnit, a 16 year old monster from the Gorbals, already weighing 20st and who can bench the gym maximum with Duncan Weir sitting on top.

Laugh

clap

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 24 Nov 2015, 3:15 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:This is where we need Maj to step in and tell us about young Chunk McUnit, a 16 year old monster from the Gorbals, already weighing 20st and who can bench the gym maximum with Duncan Weir sitting on top.
This is where Bru tells us that he dated her once.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 24 Nov 2015, 3:31 pm

Naw, she was already winching ma mate, but her cousin's a wee beaut.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 24 Nov 2015, 3:36 pm

This place really is brilliant sometimes! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Tue 24 Nov 2015, 3:42 pm

I see Glasgow's hooking crisis is back on again - McArthur out for six weeks with a broken jaw.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 24 Nov 2015, 4:11 pm

IanBru wrote:Naw, she was already winching ma mate, but her big cousin's a wee beaut.
Fixed that for you. p.s. still awaiting the frontline despatches from your latest snifter with Schiz.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 24 Nov 2015, 5:06 pm

I think our recruitment advert should be a nice mixture of all things good about Scottish Rugby - that way the offer will be irresistible

From the Edinburgh side

Fantastic French sounding food - but with the added bonus of being ordinary (Although expensive)
A large stadium
An easy to clean trophy cabinet
Cultural sites, and a historic castle
One years (shared) use of FES's personal reserve butler
A participation award (1872)
Optional tackling training sessions (before and during the match)
Lavender washing powder

From the Glasgow side

Grit, determination and passion
A league winning team
Access to Al Kellocks collection of motivation speeches on DVD
Full use of the 'How to deep fry' cookbook and all the cooking oil they desire
A tour of the Gorbals
A political master class, by someones mildly racist Uncle
Full access to the 'as new' showers

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 24 Nov 2015, 5:43 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:We still have Berghan, who might be able to do a job, he just needs to either step or actually get a chance, but yes tight head props are a rare breed.....sorry good tight head props are a rare breed.

Berghan has only made 10 appearances off the bench since April 2014, so either that says all we need to know about him or is more a sign of Solomons' unique rotation policy.

I'm happy to give him plenty benefit of the doubt though given how few tightheads we have!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 24 Nov 2015, 6:11 pm

Aye it's hard to say about Berghan, he barely plays, so either he's rank, or Solly doesn't rate him. It's all a bit Schrödinger's cat at the moment

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue 24 Nov 2015, 7:47 pm

Speaking of contracts up, Solomons ends this season.

Former Edinburgh man Todd Blackadder announced that he will be free at the end of this season so why not bring him back! He's done a pretty good job at the Crusaders.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Nov 2015, 7:24 am

I would love Blackadder back.

"Would you like some food, Mr B?"
"Baldrick, I would rather french kiss a skunk".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 25 Nov 2015, 9:25 am

Makes sense - Edinburgh coach for two years, takes over from Cotter as Scotland coach when he moves to the NZ job!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Wed 25 Nov 2015, 9:28 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:We are one injury away from John Andress. Believe me, I'm not particularly smug!

Pat MacArthur out for 6 weeks. So, only Shalva Mamukashvili and some primary school kids available for selection now. Whatever will Toonie do...?
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 25 Nov 2015, 9:41 am

Toonie will take young Richie Vernon aside, put a fatherly arm around his shoulders and make him an offer he can't refuse.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 25 Nov 2015, 9:59 am

Glasgow could do worse than converting Grant to hooker, he can scrummage anymore maybe he can throw?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 25 Nov 2015, 10:15 am

As much as I would like Blackadder as coach at Edinburgh, I can't see it. He wants the AB job and coaching Edinburgh probably isn't going to get him noticed by the selectors.

Plus as discussed here, I think the next coach at Edinburgh is likely to be Stevie.

However, with all that said, would be cracking to have him as head coach.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 25 Nov 2015, 10:18 am

Would it not be possible for Edinburgh to loan George Turner to Glasgow for 6 months? With Ford, McInally and Cochrane we can probably do without, plus it would give him invaluable exposure to first team rugby. From the limited glimpses I've seen, not a bad player.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 25 Nov 2015, 10:39 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Would it not be possible for Edinburgh to loan George Turner to Glasgow for 6 months? With Ford, McInally and Cochrane we can probably do without, plus it would give him invaluable exposure to first team rugby. From the limited glimpses I've seen, not a bad player.

Isn't McInally still injured?

If so that would leave us with potentially a hooker shortage if anything was to happen to Ford or Cochrane. However, if McInally isn't injured then it would make sense, but possibly with him moving over on a short term loan. Would give him the gametime he needs to continue his development.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 25 Nov 2015, 10:44 am

McInally is out until nearer the 6N.

We've got Hilterbrand too so we have quantity, if not quality...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 25 Nov 2015, 10:47 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:McInally is out until nearer the 6N.

I refuse to acknowledge him as a hooker. Nice guy but truly awful.

Glasgow, you are more than welcome to Hilterbrand, but a cardboard cut out of big Al would probably be more effective.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Nov 2015, 10:48 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Would it not be possible for Edinburgh to loan George Turner to Glasgow for 6 months? With Ford, McInally and Cochrane we can probably do without, plus it would give him invaluable exposure to first team rugby. From the limited glimpses I've seen, not a bad player.
I've lost track with injuries a little here. Who is out at the moment? I presume Fraser Brown, Bryce, MacArthur and Fergus Scott?

So that leaves Big Mamu, James Malcolm and young Cammy Fenton I think. In that case, I agree that George Turner is the slightly more experienced option and I wouldn't mind him coming over. That said, Malcolm played well in the 'A' game last week and I would like to see more from him. The thought of an EDP or alternative youngfeller lining up against the Racing front row is very worrying, mind you.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Nov 2015, 11:28 am

EWT Spoons wrote:

I refuse to acknowledge him as a hooker.  Nice guy but truly awful.

Glasgow, you are more than welcome to Hilterbrand, but a cardboard cut out of big Al would probably be more effective.

I think Hilterbrand is gone, did he not sign for a super rugby side?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 25 Nov 2015, 11:30 am

I'd forgotten about James Malcolm GP. In which case Glasgow will be fine. This is a chap who dwarfs Bismaark Du Plessis both as a player and a man.

Actually I want Cammy Fenton to start, so I can shout "Fenton", "Fenton", "Fenton" at increasing volume levels (as per the YouTube bloke chasing his dog).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 25 Nov 2015, 11:31 am

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

I didn't see Hilterbrand on the Edinburgh website. When was the leaving party?

If Hilterbrand is playing Super Rugby then Schizoid is a Tory. Unless Hilterbrand has been signed as a "relocation expert".

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 25 Nov 2015, 11:32 am

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

Don't toy with me here, my hopes are up [quick google search] you're right!!! he's away at Southern Kings.

Wikipedia wrote:In November 2015, it was announced that he was one of South African Super Rugby side the Kings' new acquisitions prior to the 2016 Super Rugby season

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Wed 25 Nov 2015, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 25 Nov 2015, 11:32 am

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

He played in the pre season games but hasn't been seen since - no mention of him moving on anywhere. He's not on the squad list either though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Nov 2015, 11:35 am

just googled it, signed for the Kings in SA this Nov

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Nov 2015, 11:38 am

Well all that really tells us is that we won't be able to borrow a hooker from Edinburgh and Glasgow are still in the do dah!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 25 Nov 2015, 12:08 pm

James Malcolm will do fine - good young player who appears to have bags of confidence. The added bonus of him being the son of one of the main sponsors cannot do any harm Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 25 Nov 2015, 12:20 pm

Scotland 7s squad:

Hugh Blake (Glasgow Warriors), Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh Rugby), Jamie Farndale, James Johnstone, Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Gavin Lowe, Nick McLennan (Edinburgh Rugby), Robbie Nairn (Harlequins), Joseva Nayacavou, Scott Riddell, Mark Robertson and Scott Wight (captain).

Will ne interesting to see how competitive they are now that they aren't full time 7s pros.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 25 Nov 2015, 12:27 pm

Some useful players in that group and plenty pace in there. I'd query what McLennan will bring to the party and I'd rather Blake focused on playing 7 for Glasgow personally, but keen to see how Jamie Farndale and Robbie Nairn get on.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Nov 2015, 12:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Some useful players in that group and plenty pace in there. I'd query what McLennan will bring to the party and I'd rather Blake focused on playing 7 for Glasgow personally, but keen to see how Jamie Farndale and Robbie Nairn get on.

I think with Fusaro and Favaro around and Wilson to slot in as the all rounder, his opportunities were going to be a little bit limited this year. A year in the sevens won't do him any harm and he is being touted as a possibility for Olympic selection.

Glasgow have to many back rows just now and some will need to be allowed to move on in order to let Blake and any other promising youngsters to come throuigh. My gut feeling is that it will be Fusaro, he seems to have fallen behind in the pecking order.

All in all it looks a decent squad, hopefully they can kick on from last season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm

Strange to see a 7s squad without Budgie and his 90s boyband hair.

Lots of pace in that 7s side.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 25 Nov 2015, 12:50 pm

BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Some useful players in that group and plenty pace in there. I'd query what McLennan will bring to the party and I'd rather Blake focused on playing 7 for Glasgow personally, but keen to see how Jamie Farndale and Robbie Nairn get on.

I think with Fusaro and Favaro around and Wilson to slot in as the all rounder, his opportunities were going to be a little bit limited this year. A year in the sevens won't do him any harm and he is being touted as a possibility for Olympic selection.

Glasgow have to many back rows just now and some will need to be allowed to move on in order to let Blake and any other promising youngsters to come throuigh. My gut feeling is that it will be Fusaro, he seems to have fallen behind in the pecking order.

All in all it looks a decent squad, hopefully they can kick on from last season.

Nope - Fusaro has been our standout 7 this season. It may be Holmes moving on.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Nov 2015, 1:16 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Nope - Fusaro has been our standout 7 this season.  It may be Holmes moving on.  

I'd forgotten about Holmes, which probably says it all really and yes i am sure he will be off. He was only ever a squad player at Glasgow.

Still leaves 3 good OS Blake, Fusaro and Favaro with Wilson as an option as well, chasng a starting spot. It will be difficult to give them all enough gametime to keep them happy. Blake seems to be seen as the future internatonal prospect and Favaro is on the longer term contract. Fusaro may feel he needs to prove himself elsewhere or he may not be given the choice.

The squad is to large now accross the board, due to the WC. It will be trimmed down consiserably at the end of the season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 25 Nov 2015, 2:04 pm

Is anyone still got a WC downer

I do....

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 25 Nov 2015, 3:51 pm

Riskysports wrote:Is anyone still got a WC downer

I do....

Sad

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 25 Nov 2015, 3:57 pm

Riskysports wrote:Is anyone still got a WC downer

I do....

You can probably get some penicillin

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next